Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Virtue, Forever Fickle [Lion]

Started by AevumEternity, November 18, 2016, 12:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

Raising her head slightly, keeping her cheek from bumping his back as the Theocog moved easily with his direction- even seeming to take direction from the slight bob of his legs by mistake. Her eyes scan the shadows, the blade bumping against her thigh rather comforting," We believe that there may have been a mutation within the herd that caused the Theocog to develop- but are sure some magic may have attempted to desecrate our livestock during my great grandfather's tims." She admits quietly," As for my duchy, I do not believe even the duke knows of their exsistance. We only have twenty one Theocog- and they are the only creatures keeping my lands to be taken by the Duke."

Pursing her lips, she continues," O believe with this war, the Theocog will grow more and more pronounced, alas, for now- we protect them and only offer the animals to select buyers- the price may be outrageous..." she trails off and shrugs, allowing one of her hands to slip from his torso to rest on the broad hindquarters.

" Hopefully the Church of Ansgar will see His blessing in them soon enough." She chides, hope blooming in her heart. Brow furrowing now in determination," Perhaps in coming days I will show the higher standing peoples of society House Kilandre's worth."

Lion

"Why does it matter so much that you should care what the upper houses think?"

However it happened, they were certainly a sight to behold. He reached down to stroke Purgatory's neck, fingers brushing  through his thickened mane. It was all he needed, and he was sold on the horse.  "I'll bet he likes apples like Titus.  Or does he only eat red meat?"

While made in jest, the question was entirely valid. Mercuxio released hands from the pommel and gripped the reins just beside her hands.  He nudged the Theocog to begin trotting, all six hooves clopping on cobblestones, and he instantly felt more at ease. "How is he at a gallop?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

AevumEternity

Shrugging, she answered lightly," I personally do mot give a rat's ass- but my advisors say that cozying up to a wealthy or reputable family will bring us all out of the rut we are in," her hands slid from the reigns once she made sure the great horse felt comfortable- as well as Mercuxio, of xourse. Securely hugging his waist," But nobles' business and lives are never there own, right?"

Chuckling lightly at his jest, Hakon smirks mischieviously," Well I don't know if you heard those screams earlier but..." she trailed off cryptically though her words oozed humor and sarcasm," as for his gallop, why don't you find out?"

Lion

"Wait, screams?" Merric didn't linger on it long before he squeezed his thighs against the horse and from trot came cantering, and when they reached the vineyards near the outskirts of the manor, the Theocog cut off when the space opened up.

He bolted off, hard and fast as the horse took stride.  And Mercuxio leaned forward to ride with him, gripping the reins to keep from breaking his neck.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

AevumEternity

The massive horse was notably slower then most steeds, but fast enough to overtake a sprinter. Steam began to puff in great clouds of white, each leg seemed to move fluidily with the others- the muscle structure of the monster pounding like thunder beneath the thick skin as great lungs sucked in great quanities of air. The thrill of flight seemed to urge Purgatorio to stretch long legs further- footsteps pouding the ground like cannons.

Her hands tightened arouns him, holding tightly as she could- she knew from experience falling would cause quite the injury. Instead she simply buried her face into his back and tightly closed her eyes.

Lion

It wasn't difficult to fall into stride with the horse. And Mercuxio's practiced form fell into it with even further ease. In fact he relaxed into it, not quite accustomed to a hair slower than Titus' but it was still quick nevertheless.  He leaned forward, pushing Purgatorio ever onward. He relished at the familiar feeling of wind in his face, howling up with glee as he ran along the length of the vineyard, until the end drew near.

The horse halted abruptly, but Merric remained firmly in the saddle and panted, his heart racing a mile a minute. "That was... I have no words!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

Having a bit of difficulty staying put while simultaneously not wrenching the man before her around. Hakon couldn't but breath a sigh of relief when the charge ended- it was much more reassuring to her to be in the saddle of her own then placed behind it- nonetheless, it was highly enjoyable, she could enjoy watching the trees racing past the moon-appreciate the power of her companion and keep vigilant to her new friend's movements. The moment he seemed to reach the 'Charger's High', a bright smile had curled her lips and there was nothing in the world that could worry her at that time.

With the sudden halt, she straightened, slipping her hands from Mercuxio's waist, the Lady Kilandre patted Purgatorio's rump proudly," Someday I hope to show you our effectiveness as the elite Heavy Cavalry unit within the Connlaothan armed forces-" her voice light, airy with delight as she watched Merric's whole body seem to fall in sync with the massive beast's own deep breathing.

The steed seemed only slightly winded, already beginning to prance impatiently- whickering, snorting and tossing his massive head why glancing back at the pair almost like a child 'please, please, please can I run again?' His blue eyes seemed to plead.

Lion

"It's be a sight certainly to witness his majesty in battle.  I for one wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of those hooves.  He is so spirited. He reminds me much of Titus, my own steed.". Mercuxio panted lightly and looked back at her.  "Will you do the honors of taking us back?"

Mercuxio hadn't realized how tightly she'd been holding on to him, but the pressure relief allowed him to breathe easier. "How long have you been in the Heavy Cavalry?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

Chuckling softly, she murmurs," Then do not side with the Mages, my friend-" before reaching about him, grasping the leather reigns from beneath his hands- snapping them only once for the large horse to turn slowly about and begin walking back toward the manor, head bobbing patiently. Noticing briefly her hands were trembling, she once more cursed her advisers for making her wear such useless clothing for riding under her breath before answering him.

" I've been technically training with Theocog my entire life, our family's militia specialized in Heavy Cavalry so it was only natural I learn as well. When my Mordecaism abilities began to manifest, then it made it... Legal for me to truly ride into battle beside my father and his- my men." she peaked over his shoulder as she spoke, attempting not to rest her chin upon him in case it made the man uncomfortable," As for you, Mercuxio? I would very much like to hear of your tales regarding your upbringing- you decision to become a priest- if that is alright, of course."

Lion

"To be honest there isn't much to tell. It's a rather long and drawn out tale and if Purgatorial falls asleep and lands on my leg I'm afraid it'll be quite broken."

He chuckled and patted the horse's thick muscular neck.  Aside from the white and extra legs, he reminded Merric very much of Titus, a war horse provided to him from the Church when he could afford him. He was black as ink in water, with dark eyes that matched and with no desire more than to sprint at full speed.

"But there is little more I could tell you that hasn't been expanded on in rumor," he said.  He sighed a little, wanting another sip of that wine.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

" Well-" she trails off, unconciously resting her chin upon his shoulder- gazing at the dark path ahead,"- It is late, and it would be pleasant to hear of a friend's life story in comfort even if it should lull one to sleep, hm?" She chuckles quietly- pausing, wondering if it would be considered scandalous to invite him to the spartan apartment she had been provided, but it was quite close and the moon was reachings its peak...

Instead, the Lady Kilandre chose to remain silent for now, staring between her steed's pricked ears, admiring the moonlight off his silver mane and short coat. It was rather hard to imagine having met this Mercuxio mere hours ago- perhaps it was the connection that came with those who were used to lockibg shields and shoulders with strangers to survive that caused the odd understanding. Yes. Should the occasion arise, she would fight next to this man- his skill and strength with the blade was eassuring and another spar would not be something she would turn down.

Lion

"So you admit I'm boring?" Mercuxio went on in a mild jab at her.  He chuckled despite himself. "To be honest, it's been too long since I've had the chance to wind down. Things have been too tense as of late. I am not accustomed to relaxation. Being a priest is more stressful than you might imagine. Many place trust in you than you might not have otherwise have thought. It is quite demanding."

Thinking of it like this made Merric realize his burdens were no different than when he'd been the heir to his father's province. "Sometimes it's just nice to get away isn't it?" he found himself saying in a softly murmured thought.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

Glancing at his face from the corner of her eye- his sile seemed bitter and somewhat pained, she knew his words all to well. Instinctively, hesitantly, she wrapped one arm about his chest, her hand grasping his shoulder- squeezing lightly in a sort of embrace.

" My friend Mercuxio-" she began quietly, urging the theocog into a trot, then a canter as they neared the streets leading to the manorhouse once more. Steadying her voice now as Purgatorio's hooves ate up the distance, she chided,"- You are then welcome to join me at my quarters if you so choose. I... Hope that doesn't give the wrong impression but- hm- ah-" she seemed to struggle for the correct words while guiding the beast with small motions of the reigns- subtly was definitely not a strong suit for Hakon, but she tried~ that had to mean something, right?

Lion

It was such an odd gesture, and especially for someone he had met only a few short hours earlier. He murmured a gentle word and looked up to the sky. Truth be told he didn't really want to got back to the manorhouse, for it was stuffy and filled with people he'd rather not waste his evening on. For what little chance he had for respite, he had little desire to waste it on the desperate and inept.

"I don't think you're that kind of woman. And I am not the kind of man that would misinterpret it," he murmured. "If you're extending your hand in hospitality, I won't be rude to turn you down." He nodded and looked back at her. "You're a remarkable young woman, Hakon. I hope you know that."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

Sliding her arm away from him once more, now holding the reigns firmly in both hands, chuckling mildly," Thank you, my friend- yes... Hospitality- I apologize, sometimes my mind and mouth either run off in different directions or cease working at all," shaking her head with a small humorous giggle, she began to guide the Theocog away from the manor. As for his praises, she fell silent, unsure of how to respond but murmuring the quietest of 'thank you's- she would find a way to show her gratitude for his company and understanding later, she was sure.

After several long minutes of a steady lope through the city streets, past many more halls and festivities which the Season brought with it for better or for worse- they reached what seemed to be a square for slightly wealthier merchants from the look of it. In the midst of the square was a large fountain, the statue within its center so ancient that the stone seemed to have melted its features away to some pitiful amorphous mass.
Dismounting, it took several more minutes to secure the massive Theocog into an area seemingly reserved for carts (but the only stalls large enough to hold such a monster), racking up the tack and-

Lady Hakon Kilandre gently motioned for him to follow her as she walked lightly backwards across the courtyard," This way, my friend- I'm sure your companions believe you to be holed up in some place more lavish, hm?" She couldn't help but poke at him, teeth flashing white in the near pitch black.

Lion

"I am housed not far from here. A home quite less palatial than you might think," he said with a chuckle as he made his way off the Theocog. He patted Purgatorio's hide once more in a reassuring gesture that he was indeed real.

"I'm accustomed do doing with much less than what even the worst merchants had undergone in recent years," he continued, crossing his hands over his arms in a vain effort to keep himself warmed in the cool southern air. It was brisk but manageable. Nothing like snow and cold of Bellkrath.  "But yourself? This is a much nicer place than what I've had in several months...maybe even years.  Time has been such a blur lately."

He smiled back at her and waited patiently behind until the door was opened and he was allowed inside.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

Pushing open the door- or at least trying several times before ramming shoulder into it with a loud thud until the warped wood swung inward- several stone steps lead up to a smaller landing, another rather warped door blocking them until the process which had made the first cave was repeated. After assuring he had safely made it in to the pitch black apartment, she forced the door shut with an tooth-grinding squeak of protest. Already making her way through the darkness to coax ashes within a heath back to life," I am used to sleeping upon the forest floor, but as of late I've had the luxury of downy beds-" she admits as the warm red glow began to strength- flooding the room with light,"- soon I hope I may get this charade over with so I can return to sleeping in the saddle as well," she chuckles lightly, turning- only now realizing just how damnably cold she was. Sure- bare shoulders looked great... Until it was less than 50 degrees.

Continuing to prod the fire back to life, she motioned toward the small arrangement of rather plush yet worn furniture nearby, chiding," Well- Mercuxio, my friend, I believe it is always easiest to sort out one's memories when speaking it aloud-" glancing over her shoulder- white blonde strands of hair obscuring her view of him, she offers a playful smile,"- so- collect your thoughts- I would so enjoy hearing more of your life story."

Lion

[Loool! I love how she keeps asking him to talk about himself, and he's just not cooperating. She's going to have an easier time squeezing water from a stone. But I admire her persistence.]

The quaint feel of the building: stone steps, old doors, reminded Merric that Reajh was a very old city, and it wasn't uncommon for older structures to be repurposed into other tasks. And it allowed for other constructs to be formed around them. The sound of the door was grating but not unmanageable. So Merric made his way within with little complaint, admiring the architecture and stepping within her domain.

He certainly knew what it was like to sleep on the ground but he wouldn't say that he preferred it over a bed. He said nothing on it and took a seat beside the growing fire.  He was grateful for it's brewing warmth.

"I am the Duke Dardanus Rastognlir's son," he murmured. "I became a priest when I was approximately twenty, and that's been my life for the last several years. That's the gist of it more or less.  See, I told you it was boring."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

[Lol well she wants to knooooooow xD You can't stop her from trying! Look! She got a little something! XP]

Sighing in movk annoyance, she turned slighrly toward him, resting upon her knees as she managed to encourage a small fire to rise from the coals," Please now Son of Rastognir," she flashes him a small smirk," I am sure you do more then just 'be a priest', I may not be the picture of piety but I am certain priests do certain things?" Just as she was attempting to bring the fire to life, it seemed she was doing the same to him-

Pushing a lock of platinum hair behind her ear, she tilted her head slightly, smiling slightly as she did so. She as well was beginning to enjoy the growing dry heat of the flame licking the remnants of logs- standing, Hakon went to retrieve more wood from nearby," I challenge you to regale me~" she laughs.

Lion

She wasn't going to let this go was she? Despite his polite countering, and humble dodges, still she asked about him and not while a whole lot of guile either.  In fact the thought made him chuckle and he crossed his legs, right over left and capped the knee with his left hand. "I can tell you a story. There was a young woman once, during a time when the sky fell and demons roamed the land. He scorched the land where'd he roamed, and the local Lord sought appeasement with this beast.

"He bade him to take his people as slaves to serve, in offerings of tribute.  These slaves were used to build a great fortress and when this woman became a slave too, she went willingly so that her family would not have to suffer. For many years she toiled with them, growing to understand their plight. This could not stand and so she challenges the demon herself.". Mercuxio relaxed into the sofa and looked at the fire.

"The demon was sure this woman posed no challenge, laughing at her demands to free the slaves and returned to the depths of hell from whence he came. The demon set before her 3 tests of Will, Wisdom, and Strength. Each task more difficult than the last. She crossed perilous chasms,  face with against the demon's wisest lieutenant with poison in her veins, and killed his champion in personal combat.  In his rage the demon challenged her himself and rendered her helpless with his magics.

"He demanded she renounce her faith in Ansgar and swear allegiance to him. She refused no matter how her suffering worsened.  Under her duress, she managed to reach forward and touch his voice putrid flesh, and with it she purged the magic from him, severing the anchor that tied him to this world and cast him out.

"In the end, the slaves were freed, but all was not well. The people demanded retribution for their sufferings. The woman however shows mercy on the Lord that had given them up. He gave his lands, home, and hands in recompense."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn