Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Pale Rainbows

Started by Magyar, November 25, 2016, 10:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magyar

"I don't know," he said, "I'd be pretty exhausted myself. Then again I am much heavier than you but it's all proportional."

He looked out across the mountains, the ocean's deep blue just beginning to peak out over the spine of the land. He gauged maybe half an hour until they were flying out over open waters.

DragonSong

"Oh!" Melisma soared out over his head again so she could get a better look at the approaching sea. "It's...darker here," she noted with interest. "I didn't notice before. Back home, the waters are clearer."

Magyar

"It is very deep," he said, remembering his first foray into the grey-blue waves, lightning crackling around him and the curls of great water slamming down into themselves like liquid thunder. He continued, "The mountains go directly down into the ocean, and the beach is nothing but a rock shelf above a drop many hundreds of feet deep."

DragonSong

"Really?" Her head tilted as she peered down. "It's all sand on the islands. And it's shallow for such a long time, then just drops off into the deeper waters."

Magyar

"Oh yes," he said, and the memories of his violent encounter with the cruel mistress that was the Ocean rang in his mind. Beautiful, indeed, but cruel and indifferent to the sufferings of man and dragon alike. She was strong, and she was dangerous.

DragonSong

"It's so much warmer there too," Melly continued with a sigh, evidently oblivious to his internal musings. "You could sleep in the water if you wanted to, it's so shallow and clear and warm...of course there are plenty of fish and such you probably wouldn't want to bother, but you could."

Magyar

"What fish deserves to stand in the way of a dragon, little bird?" He challenged, his tone becoming proud, "We are the greatest beings to walk this earth, you and I, and all other drakes. Never forget that. These bipeds think themselves kings and queens among the rest of us, but who are they to stand before a kingdom of dragons?"

DragonSong

Melly's wings stalled for a moment as she listened to him. "Oh." She cleared her throat. "W-well, I just meant- a few of the fish are poisonous." She tilted her head at him. "You really don't care for humans, huh?"

Magyar

"Humans, little bird, are dragonbane. They proclaim themselves above all and take accordingly," He sighed, and saw that he'd have to explain himself. He cleared his throat, a grating, rumbling sound, and continued, "The number one reason Dragons die, is because some human boy wants to prove his worth to his petty house or to impress a mate who'll be gone ten times over before the dragon he slayed had even been out of childhood. They are parasites, and while some are companion worthy, interesting and fair among their monstrous kind, there are a thousand who posses nothing more than greed and hate for not only anything alien to them but also to their own kind. We drakes can be harsh and angry, but even we respect our own."

DragonSong

Melly landed delicately on his back again, curling up between his shoulders and purring quietly, the vibration echoing through her into him in an instinctive effort to calm.

"I'm sorry," she murmured. "I...I've never met humans like that. I didn't know..."

Magyar

"Fret not, little bird," he said, "With you the fault doesn't lie. The subject of bipeds arouses my anger, for they and I have a complicated and violent history. Do not apologize for something beyond your ken."

DragonSong

"Still. I'm sorry they hurt you." She nuzzled at the back of his neck before spreading her wings to catch the wind again and floating a few feet above him.

Magyar

Hvit sighed, an oddly loud noise despite it's nature. The horizon grew orange as the sun began to drop down in front of them, silhouetting a small spot of land just gracing the edge of his sight.

"There is your home, little bird," he said, "See it dark on the horizon? That is our destination, and not an hour from us."

DragonSong

"Oh my goodness!" Melisma laughed and soared out over his head to get a better look. "I never realized how close- oh. Well, I suppose you fly faster than I do," she chuckled to herself, soaring back to settle herself between his shoulders for a moment.

Magyar

"To be fair, I am also much larger than you are," he said to her, though he could not see her, "This flight may have taken you thrice as long, had I not led your way."

DragonSong

"I suppose that's true." She launched herself off his back and arched over his wing, twisting to fly on her back as she did so she'd completed a full flip by the time she tucked herself into the slipstream under his stomach.

The smell of the ocean here was more familiar and she closed her eyes for a moment with a contented sigh as the small dot of land on the horizon grew ever larger. "It'll be good to be home."

Magyar

The highest mountain on Yoreiq was tiny. There was no other way to put it. It was a little bump of a hill that had a slightly chilled breeze at the peak. This place was miserable.

"How do you enjoy this weather?" Hvittraak asked incredulously, landing with a few great flaps on the black stone of the mountain. He could see grass and palms not a league from this very spot. What kind of mountain had palm trees a league from the peak? It was blasphemous. "It is so hot and... humid!"

DragonSong

Melly laughed in sheer delight as she came in to land beside him, wins spread wide to soak up the sun. "I love it," she proclaimed, golden eyes shimmering as she looked around.

Another laughed and she cocked her head at him. "I don't have scales or thick skin to keep the cold out. This is comfortable for me." She shrugged. "Guess if you're born here you get used to the humidity."

Magyar

"So show me the way, little bird," Hvit rumbled, and folded his wings against his ribs. The wing talons extended as he walked, though, and grabbed at little rocks and and the ground, a movement born from searching for handholds in mountain passes. Here it seemed a halfhearted attempt at using a third pair of legs.

"Let me see what about this little island you find such joy in," he chuckled, "And perhaps I can grow to do the same."

OOC: Click Me