Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Pale Rainbows

Started by Magyar, November 25, 2016, 10:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magyar

"Humans, cattle, various game," he listed the items off on his fingers, "dragons, wyverns, and dwarves. Take your pick."

He noticed her odd behaviour, and thought the cold had bothered her. His wings drifted around the both of them, forming a kind of cocoon.

DragonSong

Melisma's eyes widened and she shook her head quickly. "No people." In truth, she only ate meat if she had no other option- as seemed to be the case- so the idea of eating a "biped" as he referred to them made her stomach roil.

"Um...what's "cattle"?" she asked curiously. "Is that another kind of animal?" She shifted a little on his lap as his wings wrapped around them, relishing the warmth.

Magyar

"Cows, little bird. Cows and yaks." He smiled at her naïveté, but could help his sarcasm, "We're a little short of tropical fruit. If you'd like we can feed upon the grass like livestock?"

DragonSong

She pouted at him. "I can eat game," she defended herself. "I just didn't know that word." Her nose wrinkled and she added, "Besides, I can't imagine the grass on these mountains has much value to it. It'd be all dry from the cold."

Magyar

"Well, at any rate, we should hunt and be off," he said, and gave her a squeeze around the hips, "Off me please."

DragonSong

"Oh, right!" She scrambled off him and got to her feet, shaking her wings out before spreading them to their full extent- no where near his length, but impressive enough- and folding them back against the curve of her spine.

She smiled and nodded to him. "After you."

Magyar

He stood, and quickly exited the hut, already transforming back into Draconic form. In several seconds, his gargantuan white shape dominated the side of the mountain once again. He loosed a roar, so loud it shook the top layer of snow from the peak, and small snowballs began to tumble down from the tip of them mountain.

He ruffled his wings, and stretched them in much a similar fashion to Melly, only now ten times larger. When he was done showing off, he hung his neck low, and peeked into the little hut for his companion.

DragonSong

Melly ran to the door and watched him shift, still fascinated by observing the process from the outside. She smiled when his head lowered and nodded at him, slipping out into the snow.

"Oh! Brr." She shivered and rubbed her arms before arching her wings up over her head and taking her own dragon shape.

Once again it hit home how much smaller she was than her companion as she looked up at him, gold eyes wide and gleaming. She shook a bit of snow off her feathers- at least now she had a fur coat to keep her a little bit warmer- and nodded at him.

"I suppose I'm following you then."

Magyar

"And up we go," he rumbled, his voice once deep now like muted thunder. He flapped once, then twice, blowing snow across he huts and Melly, but in the same breath climbed two hundred feet into the air. He looked down on the freshly snowed in dragoness, and laughed, a sound like an avalanche of shale.

"Oops."

DragonSong

The younger dragon gave a squawk and tried to dodge the sudden miniature blizzard, but still found herself covered in chilly white powder. She shook herself and jumped into the air, giving a few extra beats of her wings to shake the excess snow off.

"Was that on purpose?" she accused as she flew up under him and then veered leftward to come up beside his head. She was pouting a bit- well, as much as a dragoness could pout- and her colorful coat and feathers still held bits of sparkling white.

Magyar

"What do you think?" He said, refusing answer. For every one of his flaps, she did so thrice, the sheer size of his wings keeping his afloat for longer than she. He angled his eye towards her, and asked, "How do you prefer your cattle? Raw, or crispy?"

DragonSong

She gave a little roll of her shoulder than made her wings shudder slightly- a shrug. "I usually fire my food, if i have to eat meat," she replied. The chill air made her shiver and she swooped under his body so he blocked most of the wind, angling herself to make sure the back draft from his wings wouldn't send her spinning through the air.

Magyar

Hvittraak arched his neck downward, to see his smaller companion flitting around beneath him. They flew this way for a few kilometres, down the mountain until Hvittraak stopped, and looked down. He was correct in his halting, for directly below them, lay a field of cattle.

"Eat and be full, little bird. We have long a ways to fly."

DragonSong

Melly eyed the creatures below her curiously, then circled out from under the shelter of her her companion to wing her way over the herd.

"Forgive me, little friend," she muttered, and suddenly dove in a streak of color to the ground. Her feathers aided her in stealth, so the cow she had picked was almost entirely unaware of her presence until she was almost upon it.

Her first blow knocked the animal to the ground, stunning it, and she ended it with a quick, sharp bite to the neck. The rest of the herd had stampeded away from her and she took the opportunity to begin roasting her catch with a thin stream of flame.

Magyar

Hvit knew that one cow would not satisfy his needs, much less so for a journey, and so he spotted five or so scampering away from the gore that Melly had wrought. He swung in low for a dive, and just 15 metres from the ground flared his wings. He began to glide, and loosed a stream of flame so wide it engulfed an entire cow. As he swung low in the air, his stream of flame roasted the five cattle, and he cut off the stream only to circle back and land near the burnt cow shaped lumps.

"Delicious," he muttered to himself, and licked his chops, before taking an upturned heifer in his jaws and shaking it like a dog, tearing the back half of it off and swallowing it whole. His jaw unlatched, much like a serpent's although it didn't really need to. His maw was large enough that the cow slid down without trouble.

DragonSong

Not usually a meat eater, Melly watched with a combination of awe and horror as Hvit downed his meal. She shook her head and got to work on her own cow, trying to eat as quickly as she could so she wouldn't keep him waiting.

"That's...interesting," she noted slowly as she stripped of large hunks and swallowed them. "Different, certainly." She wasn't entirely sure how she felt about the meal.

Magyar

"Do you enjoy your meal?" He asked with some difficulty, as he was still chewing on the rump roast of his second to last cow. But hey, who said dragons had table manners. He lay down, a great thud as all of his 60 some tonnes shook the ground upon landing. He continue doing to gnaw the leg down, all the while watching Melly's procedure.

"A tad...delicate, of you." He commented over the roast.

DragonSong

She stripped off one of her last pieces and tossed it down with a birdlike jerk of her head. "I'm not used to eating meat," she said by way of explanation. She curled up on the ground herself, shuffling her wings a bit before letting them fold neatly against her back.

Magyar

Hvittraak intended to take a nap while he digested, but didn't think Melly would last in the snow, at least not if another storm hit, as they were wanton to do. Much the same as he had in the hut, he extended a wing and waggled it to and fro, beckoning her over. If he fell asleep, at least his gargantuan warmth would provide.

DragonSong

Melly licked at her mouth to clean away a bit of blood before padding toward him and snuggling against his side.

"Thanks," she chirped, using a hooked claw of her own wing to gently drag his down over her like a blanket.