Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It's Always Winter Here (DragonSong)

Started by Marakai Trin, December 25, 2016, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Josie wrapped herself and Bay in the cloak they'd been given and pulled on a pair of gloves she found in an interior pocket.

After making sure Bay was securely bundled up, she stepped out into the snow. Her eyes softened a bit as they flicked over Gaelio and she stepped toward him cautiously. "Gae...are you sure about this?"

She laid her hand on his arm gently, brow slightly furrowed and concern plain in her normally icy eyes.

Marakai Trin

His gaze lowered from the house to look at the woman in front of him, and he smiled. He dropped the strap for a moment, and raised his hand to cover hers on his arm for a moment.

"Yes. I'm sure, and I'm glad of it." His smile widened and he let go of her hand, turning to gesture to the scenery beyond.

"Look at this, Josie. This is a whole world for us to get lost in. Something new around every bend."

When he looked at her again, he was positively grinning from ear to ear. "How could I be having second thoughts?"

DragonSong

She chuckled a bit and dropped her hand. "Well. I'm glad you've such an optimistic outlook," she murmured, smiling slightly.

She turned her head to look out over the mountain and took a breath. "I...suppose we'd better be going then."

Marakai Trin

"No need to be anything but optimistic." He offered a reflection of her smile, and bent to pick up the strap to the sled again.

Standing, he looked down the hill, and glanced to her when she spoke again. "Yes...let's." He gave a warm smile, and began pulling the sled down the hill.

DragonSong

Josie took a  breath as she began following behind him. She smiled a bit and fell into step at his side, one hand stroking absently up and down Bay's back as they walked.

"I could help with the sled, a little," she offered. "Bay's pretty well secured."

Marakai Trin

Gaelio smiled, stepping to the side of the sled and slipping his grip down the length of the strap.

"Be my guest. Downhill won't be too bad, though. Not like last time." He grinned a little as they walked.

"Funny how all this stuff and one bundle of bear still isn't nearly as heavy as two bears. Here we are, moving half my house, essentially, and it's not even a strain." He turned to her with a smile.

"Hmm...hunting should be easy enough, so long as we stay out of sight of the game wardens. We could honestly see if someone would take some of the meat for some coin, too."

They'd come to the split in the path where one would turn to go to the village. Gaelio took them down the other path, down the mountains toward the corpse of evergreens he'd been using for firewood.

DragonSong

"I can hunt," Jo commented as she took a bit of the strap. "And a wolf hunting in the forest is far less likely to attract attention than an ice mage," she added with a soft chuckle.

Marakai Trin

"I know you can hunt," he retorted, smiling, "but can you catch enough to feed the three of us, day after day?" He chuckled a little bit, and glanced to her. "What's the biggest game you can hunt alone? And the wardens can't be everywhere...I can help."

DragonSong

She thought about that. "Deer," she decided eventually. "Though I suppose to keep us properly fed I'd have to go in some long hunts..."

She huffed and relented, "Alright, fine. But if you get caught by mage-hunters, Bay will be very upset with you."

Marakai Trin

Gaelio chuckled. "Well, deer would be enough. And if we work together, you can scare them my way..." He grinned a little, and glanced down at Bay. "Bay could help, too, if only by following you."

When she mentioned him getting caught by mage-hunters, he laughed. "Yeah, Bay would be upset. And meanwhile, you'd be cursing my name, having to drag all this stuff by yourself." He looked up from Bay to her, and smiled. "Don't worry. The sword is more than just for show, and I've got a trick up my sleeve that most Mordecai wouldn't expect, if it were to come to it. And...besides that, I can always make real arrows. If we can get some arrowheads, that is."

DragonSong

Josie sighed, but there were still worry lines around her eyes and between her eyebrows.

"Yes, yes, I suppose. I could help with the arrows, too. My father taught me how to do that when I was barely five."

She smiled down at the top of Bay's head, then chuckled quietly. "It'd do him good to practice, even just play hunting." She glanced sideways at Gaelio. "He's completely asleep, by the way."

Marakai Trin

Gaelio peeked over at him, and gave a soft smile. Be dared not touch him though, for fear of waking him.

"He's a cute kid. I bet you're proud, aren't you?" He turned that smile on her for a moment before turning back to the path ahead. He was quiet for a moment before he spoke again, the tips of his ears reddening slightly.

"He takes after you, you know. I can see it."

They entered the treeline at the base of the mountain, and Gaelio stopped them. Through the trees, he could see the plains of Connlaoth.

"There it is...Connlaoth." The word came out like it'd given him a bad taste in his mouth.

He sighed derisively, and glanced to Josie with a grim smile. "....are you ready for this?"

DragonSong

"I am." Jo's voice softened as she looked down at her pup with a small smile. Her cheeks colored a bit and she glanced up at Gaelio with that same small smile, though her eyes were a bit more confused.

"Um...thank you." She sighed as she looked at Bay again. "I certainly hope so..."

Her eyes flickered out over the landscape and her sigh matched his. "No." She took a breath. "Let's go."

Marakai Trin

"I'm...sorry to embarrass you. I only meant it as a compliment." He glanced at her out from the corner of his eye, smiling a little sheepishly.

After that, his gaze returned to the plains beyond, and he heaved a sigh. It was going to be a long walk. "Well, then. Here goes nothing." Gaelio put his head down, and heaved forward to get the sled moving again. It was getting harder, as the snow thinned and gradually gave way to earth and grass.

It was easier with a someone beside him though. He glanced out at her from the corner of his eye, the side of his mouth curling into a small smile.

((Should we make another thread, since we're changing locations?))

DragonSong

[Sure, if you wanna! ^.^]

Josie caught the sideways look and tilted her head at him. "Everything okay?"

Almost the instant the words were out of her mouth Bay started fussing, squirming in his sling and making little sounds of discomfort.

"Oh, dear." Jo sighed and started swaying from side to side. "He's probably hungry," she murmured, then sighed again. "Or he needs changed."

Marakai Trin

"Oh, no. Well, we can take care of him before we go further." He dropped his part of the strap, and stood regarding her with a smile. "And I was just thinking of how...glad I am to finally be out and about, and how much better it will be with company." He glanced around, and blinked a bit.

"Mm...should I try and start a fire and warm some water? Whether he needs cleaned, or he's hungry, we'll need it..."

DragonSong

She sighed and nodded. "It couldn't hurt." She bounced the fussing baby gently and kissed his brow, murmuring soothing nonsense.

Marakai Trin

He nodded, smiling a little. "I'll get right on it, then. Just hold tight a second."

He moved around the sled to untie the rope, then rummaged around the pile until he dug out the cookpot. He pulled the dishes out of it, setting them aside, and then set the pot on the ground.

He glanced around the tree line for a moment, and found a tree that looked as though it had fallen some time ago. He drew his sword, and hacked off several branches, and  peeled off a good amount of the aged bark to serve as tinder.

He took one of the longer branches, and slid it's length against the sharpened edge of his sword, cutting into it and causing several large splinters to split off along the side. These he tore off, and tossed them and the bark onto a cleared spot on the ground.

He pulled a chunk of flint from a pouch at his belt, and struck it repeatedly against his hunting knife until he got several sparks to settle and remain in the dried tinder. He blew on these until he managed a small flame, and then started piling on the other branches until, a moment later, he had a cheery little blaze going.

Then, the hard part - finding water. It did seem as though some snow melt had soaked the earth before. All he had to do was pull it from the earth. He found a softened spot on the ground, sending a small vein of groundwater beneath.

The purple bands in his eyes began to flare to life as he willed the water upwards, pulling it up with a rupturing of the soft ground. As it lifted into the air, several particles of earth and rock fell from it, unaffected by his power.

Gaelio willed this large orb of water toward the cookpot, and it began spilling into the pot as if dumping from a large pitcher. Breathing hard, he then carried the pot to set it on the fire.

He sat down heavily, sweating a little. "Water usually isn't hard to move, but the earth around it is so damned heavy..."

DragonSong

"Hey, take it easy." Josie moved toward him, concerned. She braced her hand against his arm, her other hand supporting Bay's back. "Look, why I don't you let me do something, yeah? You stay here with Bay, I can find a stream or something so you won't have to do that again."

Marakai Trin

He chuckled a bit and shook his head. "I'm okay...I've already filled the pot anyway." He patted her hand with his free one, and then used it to wipe the sweat from his brow.

"To me... The water is weightless. But it's just pushing it through the ground that's hard. But...good to know I can do it, right? There'll always be water. But...maybe a stream would do some good next time." He smiled at her, his breathing easing a bit. "Here...let's check Bay and see what attention he needs. We can worry about anything else later."