Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chosen and Bound

Started by DragonSong, January 28, 2017, 01:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

She chuckled softly and leaned into his side a bit with a small sigh. "Perhaps," she murmured, letting her eyes close for a moment.

"Amaya? Amaya!"

She groaned, tigtening her grip on his hand for a moment before releasing him to get to her feet. "And that would be my cue," she sighed, resisting the urge to rub at her face.

Marakai Trin

Mizaak sighed and stood with her.

These were the moments he truly lived for, those where they could drop their respective public faces and simply be the friends they'd grown to be. But every time, those moments were cut short.

"So much for an hour..." He mumbled, bending to pick up his trident. When he straightened, he laid a comforting hand on her shoulder, surprisingly gentle despite his great size. "Well, let's go then. Maybe once we get the important parts of the festival finished, we can sneak out to make our way to our stream. I'll sneak you out."

DragonSong

Amaya smiled and laid her hand over his for a moment.

"I'd like that," she murmured. "I- I'd really like that." She sighed and shook her head, stepping away. "But I'm not sure we'll be able to-"

"Amaya!"

She closed her eyes and took a breath. "Yes, Mother, I'm coming!" she called back toward the temple door, her voice sweet and calm despite the obvious irritation setting into her shoulder.

She took another fortifying breath and nodded at Mizaak. "Come on. Let's head back in before she come to find us."

Marakai Trin

Mizaak nodded rather sagely. "Yes, let's. I'd rather like to remain in her good graces." He lifted his trident and looked towards the entryway to the temple, and sighed. "It's going to be a long day..."

He released her shoulder and began walking just a few paces behind her, putting on the professional facade once again as they headed back into public view.

If one had seen the transition, they'd be shocked - gone was the easy smile and jovial eyes, replaced instead with a grim look that promised pain to any that would dare seek harm towards Amaya.

Not that it had ever happened, but he'd rather keep it that way.

DragonSong

"Amaya, goodness. What were you doing?" Emiko took her daughter's shoulders and tilted her head back slightly with the tip of her finger as though checking for harm.

As if she could have hurt herself simply walking to and from the courtyard.

"We were just enjoying the sunrise, Mother," she replied pleasantly, smiling slightly.

Emiko sighed and stroked her hair- lightly, careful not to disturb the combs and pins. "Alright. Just- don't worry me like that. I went to your room to fetch you and you were gone."

Amaya dropped her eyes. "Yes, Mother. I'm sorry."

Her mother leaned in to kiss her forehead, or rather the air just above it, then looked to Mizaak. "Will you see she's at the entrance to the temple within the hour? I have to fetch Akira."

Marakai Trin

Mizaak grimaced slightly when Akira began checking Amaya, as if he would at all slight his duty to her. He caught himself as quickly as (in)humanly possible, his face back to its professional state when she looked to address him.

When she asked him to esckrt Amaya, his free hand thumped a large fist against his chest, and he bowed at the waist until his upper body was parallel with the ground. From his bowed position, he spoke.

"I will see to it, Madam Emiko. She will arrive then as perfect as she is now."

No matter his familiarity with Amaya's family, he was always sure to show them the respect they deserved.

But they didn't need to know that, bowing to Amaya, he would prostrate himself upon the floor if anyone dared to bow lower than him. To him, she came first, above all. Everything else was secondary.

DragonSong

Emiko smiled at him, obviously a little rushed and flustered, and clasped her hands in front of her body, inclining her head and shoulders just slightly in a bow that returned the respect with which he addressed her but obviously maintained her position of authority in the conversation.

"Thank you, Mizaak, as always." Another almost-kiss to Amaya's forehead and she continued on down the hallway.

Amaya took a breath, then let it out slowly. "Come on," she murmured. "We'd better get to our places."

Marakai Trin

Mizaak straightened from his bow, having held it until Emiko was out of sight around a corner. "Yes, I suppose we should. After all, now it's my head that will roll if you're not present." He smirked and winked at her.

"Well. Lead on, then. I suppose I should stay at your back until we get there, as the temple seems roused at last."

DragonSong

"Yes, I suppose we should," Amaya sighed. She straightened her shoulders and picked up her pace a bit, making her way through the winding wooden halls of the temple toward the front entrance.

Marakai Trin

He smiled as she squared her shoulders, and he lowered his voice to a whisper as they entered the temple proper. "There's the Chosen One. Let me know when Amaya's allowed to come out again, my Lady." He let out a quiet snicker, cutting it off quickly as they neared a couple temple maidens, who gave the two of them a wide berth when they drew near.

It was amazing how quickly he could switch personas when he had to, the two women catching sight of naught but his steely, forward facing gaze. His golden eyes remained resolutely on the path ahead, his gaze unwavering.

DragonSong

She had to fight the urge to make a face at him, managing to keep her face blank as they passed the two priestesses.

"If I scare some temple servant by bursting out laughing in the middle of the ceremony, I'm going to blame you," she informed Mizaak quietly.

Marakai Trin

He didn't reply to her until they turned a corner and he was sure they had the corridor to themselves. When he was positive the coast was clear, he whispered back to her as low as he could manage while still allowing her to hear him.

"Well, then stay focused on all the boring stuff, and forget about me standing behind  you, making faces at your back during the ceremony!"

He had to resist the urge to snicker again as they drew close to the main doors. He did risk to whisper one more time, though.

"If you've got to laugh, do it now before we get outside. And no, I won't be making faces at you, please don't think about that. I'm not that crass, so perish the thought while you're able!"

DragonSong

In their last few moments alone, Amaya rolled her eyes and half twisted to thump his arm lightly. "Shame on you," she muttered, but it was clear she was holding back a smile.

Then she quickly schooled her expression back into a pleasantly serene mask and turned the last corner to the open entryway into the temple.

It was still early, so only a handful of villagers had gathered, murmuring personal prayers to the several small shrines that lined the walkway or talking quietly among themselves. When Amaya appeared, however, a subtle hush washed over them, and most inclined their heads respectfully.

Marakai Trin

Mizaak could hear the smile that she was holding from her face, but as near as they were to the entryway and the outside area beyond, he didn't dare smile back.

He followed her outside, and stepped just to the side of the open doorway. He planted the butt of his trident on the paved stonework, and stood rigidly in the background, back straight and eyes surveying those who had arrived early.

The light of early morning cast itself upon his bronzed skin, once again making a statue of him as he remained completely motionless, standing guard over Amaya while keeping the distance necessary to allow all attention to focus on her.

DragonSong

Amaya had to steel herself, setting her shoulders and lifting her head slightly. Subtle changes, but they worked to give her a subtle air of authority, elegance.

She smiled a bit and the villagers continued their quiet prayers, more trickling in through the gate every few seconds.

"I don't suppose you've seen my father this morning?" Amaya murmured under her breath, her lips barely moving.

Marakai Trin

Mizaak replied in kind, his quiet voice just above a whisper but still sounding like the scrape of gravel. "No, not since yesterday. Your mother was meaning to find him, wasn't she?"

Standing as he was, it was difficult to hide the subtle movements of his face as he spoke, and he could only hope that the attention would remain on Amaya.

"We're still a few minutes early yet, but...I'm surprised he isn't here."

DragonSong

The faintest wrinkle between her brows was the only visible sign of a reaction- but that was an intense expression of emotion for her in these sorts of situations.

"Hm. Perhaps he's outside the village..." she murmured.

Nearly half the village was here now, and she had to force herself not to turn when she heard the soft pad of her mother's feet on the wooden floor behind them.

"Where's father?"

"I haven't found him." Emiko sighed quietly and took her place beside her daughter. "We'll have to start soon, whether he's here or not."

Marakai Trin

Mizaak looked between mother and daughter, a genuine frown settling in his face. This was highly unusual, especially on a day like today.

He hated to part from Amaya for more than a few minutes or the hours absolutely necessary for sleep...but he almost felt as if something were wrong. He took the two steps forward, standing behind and between the two women.

His whispered words would sound quietly in their ears. "If need be, I can seek him out. If he's outside of the village, it worries me that he'd be late...I hate to say it, but something may have happened."

DragonSong

Both Amaya and her mother were quiet for several long moments.

"Would you?" Emiko murmured eventually. "I'm starting to get worried."

Amaya clenched her fists, then winced slightly as her claws pricked at her own palms.

Marakai Trin

Mizaak nodded to Emiko. "Yes. Please, if you need me for anything, send someone after me. I'll ask about the village first."

Then the pungent scent of Amaya's blood hit his nose, and he frowned. He looked to her hand, and then gripped his free hand into a fist, drawing his own blood with his claws.

As discreetly as possible, he grabbed her hand for a split second to wet it, and nodded to her. "I'll be back just as soon as I can. I'll bring him here." He released her hand again, and clenched his fist again to stop the flow of his water-like blood, and quickly turned to hide the trickle dripping from his hand.

He strode into the gathering crowd, and vanished from view as he left the temple proper.

Tags: