Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Common Misconceptions (M)

Started by RedOptics, February 03, 2017, 06:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedOptics

"A dragon sounds like fun..." She murmured, thinking to herself of what a dragon may look like. Keona closed her eyes and silently imagined the world ahead.

"Travis... can you, uhm, promise me something?" She asked, opening her eyes to look into his once again, "Promise me, that you'll continue on for me if I am to... if I am..." If I am to die... The words couldn't escape her mouth, and the mere thought made her choke. It was as if she has just realized what a soul is, and how precious it was. Instead of saying more, she simply reached over and hugged him, burying her face in his neck, "If I die. Promise me."

"Please..." She added in a whisper.

Wrathwyrm

She seemed to like the idea of the dragons.  Wait'll she sees them!  However...it was then that there was a sudden shift in the mood.  Keona became unexpectedly very serious.  It's no that she couldn't do so for some reason, just that it came out of nowhere!  Travis was honestly surprised, both at her words and at her hugging him out of fear and worry for her safety.

"Where did this come from?"

Was it leftover shock from the shadow before?  Did she feel that they would get her first?  Keona's words struck him hard, that she would really think she might die soon...  Recovering from his initial reaction, though, Travis put his arms around her and held her against him comfortingly.

"Of course, I will.  But...I don't want to lose you, so...try not to make it necessary, alright?  Promise me that."

It was half-funny, half-serious, so he more-than-half meant it.  Don't get yourself killed, if you can help it.  Agreeing to go on or not, it would still affect him if she did.

RedOptics

"I can't promise the future... But I can only say I want to be with you right mow. To not worry about anything that might happen. I-I... uhm, nevermind..." Keona murmured. Leftover shock was indeed there, and the past few days have made it clear that she may not make it out alive. If she were to die, would the shadows die with her, or would they continue to plunge the world into darkness?

Without fire, there's not light, and without light, there's darkness... and after darkness, comes death. But for some reason, she wasn't comtent with that. There was no way she was important to anything or anyone at all apart from Ira and Travis, who are as equally important to her. "I don't want to lose you either, Travis...."

Wrathwyrm

One cannot easily know the truth of things greater than oneself, whether there's all a big gian purpose or a tiny little circumstance.  Not until a great many eventful passings, be they through one's own state of being or through the mortal coil.  If you had to ask Travis McNaire, having been through the latter himself, he would have preferred the first choice alot more.  He wouldn't wish even the slightest glimmer of the possibility to land on Keona.

"It's okay.  Here and now, we're alive, and that's what matters."

And he'll do whatever it takes to keep it that way. It didn't matter if Keona was important to anyone or anything in particular.  He just wanted her to stay alive and be able to enjoy life.

RedOptics

Enough of the emotional crap. Keona gently pulled away, simply looking down as his words reminded her of her mother the day she lay on her death bed.

"You stay with me now, please. Don't get caught up in the bad things. Or you'll never meet your future... do you understand me?" She said, reaching up, "I'm always with you," Tapping Keona's chest, pointing at her heart, the sickly woman smiled, "Right there. I love you, my daughter."

The woman sighed and pushed herself to the wall, laying herself to rest while facing it. Ira sensed a small distress in her, and leaped down from his perch, now wide awake, and jumped onto the bed to circle over and snuggle into her chest where it was warm.

"I just hope I can have the future I see before me now..." She whispered, glancing back at Travis with a smile.

Wrathwyrm

He let Keona go and watched her as she lay down, followed immediately by the tiger moving next to her.

"We'll work at it.  I need to figure out a good solid way to kill snakes without 'em growing new bits to attack with.  Before that, though, I'm gonna get some fruit."

So saying, he headed off to go do that.  Travis still wasn't wearing his coat right now, so if Keona needed it for warmth, it was still there.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back at the mess, most of the crew had cleared out, save for those working KP.  Travis came to the door of the mess and-

"Yah!"

THUD!!

"Mrow!"

Well, at least they had something to break up the monotony, for the moment.  The quartermaster certainly had a laugh.

"Agh, sonnuva...  Why does he DO that?!"

"Because he's a cat, sir.  Believe me, I don't like it either, and I've gotten twelve moments like thatm myself.  Now, assuming you came in for something, what can I do for you?"

Travis got up off of the floor and right up to the quartermaster now, not exactly as amused as him.

"I'll be honest, man.  Keona can't handle your food.  I need some fruit for her, or else she'll be having it really rough later."

"How much?  The supply is limited, considering what we use to fend off scurvy."

"If you can spare a couple day's worth, I'd appreciate it."

RedOptics

Keona felt the room fall silent, and a source of heat exit along with it. She already felt lonely, even with Ira there. Turning, she'd study his coat for a good moment before grabbing it and wrapping herself in the leather. She was already in love with its warmth, and it even smelled like Travis, something that further comforted her. Now happy in a newly formed shell, Keona mimicked the purring noise the little tiger made, before slipping into a content sleep.

Nothing was disturbing about her dream, in fact, it was a dream she did not want to wake up from. It made her happy, and as long as she was in that desired fantasy of hers, the more real it became to her. One would even think she had left her current body on Earth to join the other reality as her breathing seemed to have stopped a few times before a new breath nearly tore her away. It wouldn't be until morning that she would wake.

Wrathwyrm

A few minutes later, yon Travis would re-enter after a bit of shaming the quartermaster in regards to how it looked to be unable to feed a lady.  Fruit secured in a sack - mostly oranges - he came in victorious...and found that everybody was asleep.  He almost laughed, but he deecided to keep quiet.

She'll be alot hungrier in the morning.  Better leave this thing in plain site.

Putting the bag down onto the small desk, Travis decided to lie down, as well.  He noticed that Keona had donned his coat again.  Perhaps she should have one of her own for harsher weather?  She was likely going to stay indoors during rainstorms, but just for taking cover from chills should be enough, right?  At any rate, he slept next to her, providing warmth from the back since Ira had dibs up front.  She'd probably wake up to find his arm over her waist/hip area.

Assuming nothing goes wrong in the night, let's pick this up at 'Land Ho!'.

RedOptics

The sun had just peeked over the ocean, giving them enough light to see as they bustled to move whatever they needed. A new mast was definitely something, and explaining it to the Essyrnians was going to be... difficult. The boat was no longer moving, and the stomping of crewmen and the shouting of deep voices was all that could be heard within the guest cabin. Keona groaned softly as the gauzy realm of sleep was stripped from her very being.

She blinked her eyes open and her body immediately heated to a toasty temperature, making Ira snuggle further into her for the warmth. The woman smiled down at the tiger, kissing the top of his head before looking back to see Travis. There wasn't much she could do without disturbing the two, and therefore she didn't do anything. Instead, she snuggled further between the two, waiting a good few minutes by listening to the noises. Keo' took in a deep breath and turned to poke Travis in the cheek, still in his embrace, "Psst, wakey wakey my demon." She said in a cutesy tone while Ira squiggled in her arms.

Wrathwyrm

During the night, Travis had had pleasant dreams...of squeezing the life out of demon snakes.  It takes all kinds, but in this case, he was doing so with Keona behind him, arms wrapped around his shoulders and laughing with him as he did the deed.  They were both giants in this dream, and quite happy to toss the shadows aside like little pests.  And then, Keona in the dream started poking him...which started to make him wake up.  His eyes opened and he was conscious.

"I'm huge...   Wait, no I'm not.  What happened?"

Okay, he's a little disoriented at the moment, but it'll pass.  The most he figured on was that it was morning and that the ship wasn't really jamming along anymore.  Beyond that, ya got me.

RedOptics

He'd wake up to a pair of bright, topaz-like eyes staring at him. Keona locked onto him for a moment before giggling. Travis looked like he didn't want to wake up from a wonderful dream, if it was wonderful at all.

"Morning sleepy head," She patted his shoulders, then pressed her nose to his before pushing herself up to look around, "Sounds like we docked...." There was a moment's pause before she suddenly staggered to get up, "Essyrn! We made it!" Keona exclaimed happily, as she managed to stand without falling over and threw the door open. The action startled Ira, who roared out and bristled, ready for danger before looking back to see Keona.

Wrathwyrm

He certainly enjoyed it, though reality wasn't looking so bad either.

"Good morning, yourself."

Once Keona got up, Travis was free o do the same as she opened the door and...they found the black cat right there, licking his paws.  This may seem coincidental an appearance, but it seemed that this was on purpose, and at this point, Travis couldn't overlook the possibility that this cat wasn't normal.  For one, he came bearing a letter with an address written on it...to someone called 'Boomer' in Adela.  The cat 'Mrow'd' at them and ran off, leaving the letter with them.

"Okay...that's weird."

Travis bent over to pick it up, and in doing so bumped his head into the stomach of the quartermaster as he was about to step in.

"Ah, there you are.  We've made land."

"I noticed."

"And as you will be leaving us, you will need to help us with the unloading.  There's trading and caravans to be found here on the Delta, so we're bringing out our supplies."

"What?  Oh, come on..."

He didn't want to be dealing with this again, buuut the man was pulling him away for work.

[OOC: We've made it to the mainland!  The Essyrn Arc will commence HERE.]

Tags: