Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Within the Snow

Started by WallyD, February 19, 2017, 06:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallyD

Asta watched the man as he stumbled, trying to match her formality. There is much pride within the York family, and rightly so. Asta's introduction was something she grew up with, it came more naturally.

"So you have traveled a lot then? You've been this far north?" Asta asked the man, Shageon.

excitement

"I've traveled a lot. Well my whole life really... my grandpa hated cities and I hated staying still so we were kind of nomadic hermits... I've never left Hyoite though... how about you?" They arrive at his campsite and he starts packing up his things with a speed only a nomad could match

WallyD

Asta stood off to the side, watching the man and the outer world at the same time.

"Only in Hyoite. Father and I go into the other countries sometimes, to sell or trade our furs for things we need. As you can tell theres not a lot of plants. Not good ground for planting and trees dont grow well here, so we mostly trade for that. Our place is with our tribe."

excitement

"Our place is with our tribe" he echoes back, a little deep in thought. As he finishes packing up "saying that means you're loyal to your tribe" he mutters what he says next "or I'm horrible at reading people and unlucky... " he speaks regularly again "so why are you loyal to your tribe?" He realizes how direct he's being "sorry I don't know if this is something I'm supposed to ask after I get to know you... so don't feel pressured to answer... really I'm just impressed I have something to talk about..."

WallyD

Asta was surprised that one person could be so awkward. She thought about his question. It wasn't something she was normally asked, people just accepted it.

"Our tribe is our family. Each person is just as important as the other, each is needed to survive. All our souls are connected, linking us as brothers and sisters, even if we are not blood." Asta says, shrugging, "You have asked a difficult question to answer, I do not know how to explain it."

excitement

"Okay." He says, not really knowing where he was going. He did think the connectivity of the souls was particularly interesting but he never really goes into the spiritual side of things "I guess a better way to ask it is was there a certain... something... an event that caused you to devote yourself to your tribe?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WallyD

"At first, no. The tribe has always been important, but I became more..." She paused, unsure what word to use. Finally she settled on the word Shageon used, "... devoted to the tribe after my mother had died. Father rasied me the rest of the way, showed me how to make a difference among the tribe." Asta looked towards her home as the last bit of light fell over the snowy hill, making the snow glitter within the moonlight.

excitement

"My condolences... about your mother dy- passing away... anyways it looks like a really nice tribe...." he glances up from focusing on putting one foot in front of the other to the glittering snow and house ahead and then looks back down

WallyD

Asta remained silent the rest of the way. Some people were still up, all of them moving to the large tent in the center. Asta's tribe lived a couple of miles out of Hyoite, no need for house if they were just going to move again. Asta lead Shageon to her tent, opening the flap and allowing him in.

The tent was held up from a large bone in the center, furs and other skin kept the tent warm. Asta placed both her and Shageon prey on a slab of wood near the floor. Asta in hooked her trap supplies and placed her knife next to a fur bed. She looked back at Shageon, fixing her long hair into a braid.

"Come. Father is already with the others. He will want to meet you, especially if you wish to learn more about trapping " she said, tying a leather strap at the end and walked out of the tent.

excitement

Shageon takes one more look at the bone in the middle, and more to stall for a half second his meeting with what might be a bunch of people then actual interest in the bone and where it came from. He follows her, trying to follow suit with fixing up his hair, only to give up and put his hands back into his pockets "I chose the right tribe to teach me how to trap"

WallyD

Asta grins.
"You bet the stars you did. The York family is the best in this tribe, father teaches a lot of the younger men, though none know the family trades." She said, opening the main tent. From outside voices could be heard but as soon as the flap opened, they got louder.

There was one main pit in the center, parts if a mammoth were in in. Around the main fire pit, there were eight others, each with five or more people surrounding those. All were on furs that were laid out in the floor, wooden and bone bowls, cups, plates, and utensils were placed about. Kids ran in-between the adults, squealing with laughter. A group of women talked about gossip, laughing quietly. The many others were loud, talking about what they had recently trapped.

Asta weaved through the the crowd, many noticed the man with her but either didn't care or didn't want to be rude, and looked away, continuing what they were talking about. Asta stopped at one of the pits, near the back. Three men and two women sat around it.

They men didn't noticed Asta right away, one of the women, an older lady with gray hair, reached over and slapped ones head. He turned and looked up.

"Asta! You have returned, Helida was getting worried about you." The young man said. He was Asta cousin, on her mother's side. Heilda was his twin sister, the other woman that sat among them. She scolded her brother and looked back at Asta.

"You have a friend?" The girl asked, smiling at Shageon.

excitement

"I'm not sure if friend is the correct word as much as trainee.... she agreed to teach me how to trap. We've only known about each other for a few hours. " Shageon stands a little away from the group, enjoying the warmth but feeling overwhelmed by the many people and the somewhat stuffy room. He keeps glancing from side to side, hearing snippets of conversations as if unsure which conversation to participate in. When one of the children run somewhat close Shageon walks to the other side of Asta to give them a wide berth.

WallyD

As Shageon said this, a man who's back was too them trained around. He had long blond hair like Asta, a claw mark scar could be seen across his face. He looked at Asta and grunted, turning back around.

"Is he going to pay?" He asked, taking a drink.

"Yes." Asta replied

"How much does he wish to learn?"

"As much as our own men."

"Are you going to teach him?"

Asta paused. She normally doesnt teach l, she's usually the helper, only needed to show how wrong the other men made the traps. She enjoyed embarrassing them when their traps fell apart. After awhile Asta nodded.

"Yes, father." She said. The man nodded and continued eating. Asta turned to Shageon and waved her hand. "You can eat with us." She said sitting, filling a bowl up and handing it too him.

excitement

"Thank you" he takes the bowl then looks at the others eating, then whispers a few words, too fast and too quiet for anyone to catch, like some sort of prayer or spell while staring intently at his food then digs in obviously starving. He's a sloppy eater but trying to be somewhat clean in the group. He pulls his backpack onto the ground and sits with it as his back rest.

WallyD

"So, uh..." Heilda started but realized she didn't know his name.

"Shageon." Asta says, eating some of the stew. Asta's father has been silent while Heilda's brother and the other man spoke and laughed loudly. The older woman was also silent, eating and watching the other around her.

"Shageon." Heilda said smilling, "Do you have any family or friends?"

excitement

"Um... no I'm afraid I don't... my grandfather was a hermit and I don't like staying in one place so we just kind of wandered around the tundra together... until he passed away... as a result my last friend I haven't seen for... maybe a decade? I doubt he remembers me." He finishes eating and sets the bowl on the floor and wipes the excess food off his mouth

WallyD

Helida reached out and touched Shageon's arm.
"I am so sorry. Im sure he died peacefully." The older woman turned and smacked the girls head, just like she did with her brother.

"What makes you think he died peacefully. He could have been eaten by and snow lion or poisoned by a snowberry." The woman said. As the two argued, Asta turned and smiled at Shageon apologetically.

"Thats Gran." Asta said nodded to the older woman. "She is father's mother, raised up Helida and Zeek when Uncle Aegir ran off. Helida is a healer, works with the other girls in the Joff family. Father taught Zeek to hunt and trap but he prefers to sing and play music. The other man is Aunt Gerlida's son, fathers cousin. And thats father, the best trapper here." Asta looked back at Shageon. "You will most likely be in a tent with Zeek, his tent is next to ours so if you need anything I'll be next door."

excitement

He says "it doesn't matter how my grandfather died. It just matters that he's dead." He nods to each person in turn when they are introduced and thinks to himself "oh boy a musician... one of my least favorite jobs right above dancers, artists, and storytellers." He says "nice to meet you all. "

WallyD

Asta's family greeted back, the men giving him a sturdy nod. Music then broke out, more food and drinks were past around. Pretty soon the families left, turning in for the night. Asta stood, stretching, watching the man next to her.

"Ready to sleep?" She asked as the rest of her family stood and left the tent.

excitement

Shageon doesn't quite know what to do when the music breaks out and tries to make himself inconspicuous. When Asta asks him, he says "No... it's too early for sleep... I'll find something else to do until it's time for me to sleep..." he takes out a container of arrow making supplies "where would be the best place to make arrows? I'm assuming the middle of a big tent is a bad location..."

Tags: