Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wandering Minstrels (ConcernedPeacock, CLOSED)

Started by Whim, February 23, 2017, 06:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

It was midday and the locals were filtering into the Last Hearth. Kai idled in a nearby field, chewing the grass.

Though he could become human for an hour or so each day Kai was learning how difficult it was to keep track of possessions when you spent most of your day as a jackass. Still, he'd managed to arrange a few chores with the innkeeper, Old Rubin, in exchange for a stall. Better than he expected for a naked young man who smelled like a mule. Still, life in La'marri was not what he wanted. He needed to return to Serendipity and the road through Darconi Forest was no place for a lone jackass.

He needed a traveling companion.

During his brief stint as a human boy Kai remembered a fire-haired haired youth who's always play outside the tavern. Zekel. That was his name. With nothing to lose, really, the donkey trotted around front of the tavern. Sure enough Zekel was there, strumming his mandolin for a small crowd of midday drinkers. Kai waited until he finished.

"You there. Zekel, right? Heard you were heading west."
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

ConcernedPeacock

The small crowd seemed to enjoy the fire elemental's music. He sat on a barstool, courtesy of the innkeep, and played a few tunes and ditties to draw in customers for the inn and paying listeners for himself. He plucked the 8 strings for one or two songs, then switched to a plectrum for the rest. he had his mandolin case out in front of him, allowing patrons to toss in a tip or two for his performance.

Zekel final piece seemed to energize and excite the small crowd, leaving them applauding at the end and being a bit more generous. He bowed to the crowd, his long, flaming hair rising a bit as he did so. As the crowd dispersed, he hopped off the stool and bent over the case, counting the gold that was tossed in. Then he heard someone say his name. He glanced up, coming face-to-face with a donkey in front of him. He... could have sworn he heard someone speak. He glanced around, seeing if anyone one else was looking at him and spoke.

But everyone had already went inside the Inn, or went about their business.

"Huh," He said to himself, somewhat loudly, "Coulda sworn I heard someone." He glanced back at Kai and gave a playful smirk. "Unless a jackass can speak. Wouldn't be that surprised with this place really." He looked back down at his case, now collecting the gold coins into a little baggie that was tied to his waist.

Whim

The donkey stamped a hoof to get Zekel's attention. Kai couldn't blame the bard for being dubious; at least he had a sense of humor.

"Oh there're stranger things than talking jackasses in these parts. Boys with flaming hair for instance," he gave a braying laugh, "You'll have to excuse me though. My name's Kai Wilding. Couldn't help but hearing you're headed west toward Serendipity. I've been looking to head that way myself."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

ConcernedPeacock

Zekel jolted a bit from the hoof stomp and looked back at the donkey. He was right, it wasn't really that shocking, but it was still slightly surprising. He listened to what Kai had to say, and he placed the last few bits of coin into his bag.

"That's right, I am," he replied. He put his plectrum into a little pocket inside the mandolin case, before he gently placed his instrument inside. "While this place has been rather lucrati- I mean nice and friendly, I've been thinking of venturing out of here for some fresh ears to hear my wonderful tunes." The elemental now sat up from his squat, and cocked an eyebrow at the mule. "What are you going there for?"

Whim

Kai's flicked his ears. Lucrative. At least he'll be predictable!

"I came to La'marri because I needed a... little curse broken. I didn't get what I wanted as you can, ahem, see," the the donkey gave a braying laugh. He preferred not to go into detail about the whole affair. "I thought I'd try the Universities in Arca for a solution. At least no one there will recognize me now.

"In any case I was hoping for a traveling companion on the road. I suppose I can't offer you much now but when I'm back to my old self -- well -- I'll owe you quite a large favor!"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

ConcernedPeacock

The ifrit pondered a bit at the proposal. He hadn't had a traveling companion in... He never really had one actually. He always liked being alone. Makes it easier to keep gold when you didn't have to split it after performances. Or no one to stop the elemental from blowing it all in gambling. Not that he would listen to anyone who would be opposed to his habit.

But...

Having a companion, especially a talking mule at that, would bring about interesting tales to string together with song. Not only that, but a talking donkey brings a lot of attention. And with attention, comes more gold in his pocket. Not to mention Kai would owe him a nice, big favor. Zekel nodded and gave a smile.

"Very well then, mule," he replied. "I would be delighted for you to accompany me to Serendipity." He held out his hand to shake hands, or hand-an-hoof.

Whim

Kai snorted at the gesture and awkwardly lifted a hoof. He hadn't expected to have developed a sense of humor about this sort of thing. "I don't shake hands much these days. But I appreciate the gesture.

"Suppose a more proper introduction is in order, anyway. I'm Kai Wilding from Darken Vei. Bit more of a mouthful than mule," he sort-of-smirked.

"And if I can ask... just where are you from? Your hair's... mm... certainly one of a kind in these parts."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

ConcernedPeacock

Zekel returned the smirk back to Kai. He took the hoof and gave it a light few shakes before letting go. "Pleased to make your acquaintance, Kai. As you have heard, I am Zekel." He placed a hand on his chest in a showy manner.

"As for where I am from, I hail in the western provinances of Serandipity. You may find it hard to find my kind there, however, as we are a vastly independed group. We're all mostly travelling and scattered around the lands."

The ifrit bent back down again, and lifted up his mandolin case and began strapping it on his back. "So, when would you like to depart? Later today? Tomorrow morning?" He asked.

Whim

Western Serendipity? Shit. But surely Zekel would've mentioned it if he actually from Darken Vei, and Kai's family was small enough no one heard of them. Kai didn't want his affliction getting out!

"We leave as soon as possible I should-" Kai broke into an officious tone but stopped himself. The donkey really wasn't part of the gentry to be ordering anyone about, not anymore. "Well I don't have anything keeping me here. Don't really have anything to be carrying either. So as soon as you'd like? La'marri has some lovely bucolic traditions and fey-magic. Not much gold, though," he flashed a sort-of-grin and nodded toward a gaggle of farmers pulling a plow. They probably didn't tip well.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

ConcernedPeacock

The elemental took a quick glance at his bag that he kept his coin. The amount in there was from a few days worth, plus a little bit from what he had before coming to town. Kai had a point- it wasn't very lucrative here. Not anymore, anyways. With a sigh through his nose, he decided to move on.

"Very well, mu-Kai," Zekel replied. "However, we will need supplies for the trip ahead. I don't know about you, but, even though I am a elemental, I am still mortal. We'll need some provisions, filled water skins, and," he gave a sly smile, "we'll need to get you fitted for travel packs, should we have enough coin leftover. Once we get those, I'll grab my bundle of small supplies i have stored in the inn, and we shall head off."

Whim

"Travel packs..." Kai paused, braying with laughter. "...I suppose its fair I help you carry some things. But I've really thought much about provisions -- not since I could digest grass -- there is a general store just down the road though. Gwendy's Grocer."

The donkey trotted down the road, leading Zekel to the ramshackle storefront. It was a colorful building, all in pastels, with chipped paint. "La'marri General is the other way. It has ordinary sorts of things and good prices. Can't guarantee her compasses won't point toward the nearest cake instead of north though. You seem the sort to enjoy a good story.

"Unless all those songs and tall tales are just for the gold."

All manner of weather veins and mismatched statues in the front garden -- a pair of cherubic Serenian children, a fearsome Adelan dragon, and a rusty bronze snake-woman. An old woman stood in the midst of the menagerie peering through a telescope angled toward the ground.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

ConcernedPeacock

Zekel eyed the building and all its statues in the front. What a peculiar place, he thought to himself. He then heard Kai's last remark, and looked at him with faux disbelief.

"Augh! You wound me," he said with a scoff. Truth be told he was really interested in tall tales and stories, but most of the ones he tells were either made up or 'borrowed' from other bards and story tellers. He then glances back at the building and, after what felt like minutes, finally notices the old woman looking at thd ground with the telescope. The way she stood still for a long moment made the elemental believe she was part of the decore of the garden. He doesn't know if he should approach the old lady by walking through the garden, or some other way. He walked through the garden, making sure to not trip on anything or accidentally kick one if the statues as he approached the woman.

"Uh, excuse me, ma'am?" he said. "Are you the owner of this establishment?"

Whim

"Hello there! Welcome to Gwendy's Grocer. How do you do?" The old woman rose and dusted off her hands, offering Zekel a wide smile. She soon looked past the elemental, un-phased, and to Kai.

"And hello there young Kai. I'm afraid I've no deliveries for you to make. Might be shipping some mead out to the Restwood Inn tomorrow."

"Uh, no. We're actually going west to Serendipity. Looking to buy some provisions." Kai would've blushed if he could. The young man actually didn't mind manual labor; it gave him time to think. Though he preferred not to let on.

"Never fear, I'll get you fixed up! Now what are you in the market for lad..." Gwendy  scurried to the door, beckoning Kai and Zekel forward. The door to the little shop swung open to reveal her strange stock: an assortment of scarecrows leaned against the far wall, eagerly peering at the visitors; walking staves topped with firefly-filled-spheres (how they got in there was anyone's guess); and a trunk scurrying about, albeit very slowly, on tiny legs.

Kai paused as they reached the door. "I'd suppose you want me to wait out here, yeah?"

((Up to you how detailed you'd like their shopping to be. Could fast forward or maybe they could come away with some odd magical contraption? Up to you!))

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

ConcernedPeacock

(I like the idea of him leaving with a possible magic item eheh)

The elemental was halfway through the door when he heard Kai's question. He turned his head to look over his shoulder and gave a small smile.

"That might be for the best," he replied. "I won't be in there for long, just need some food and drink for the trip." He then closed the door behind him. Inside, he glanced around the shop. His eyes fell on the scarecrows against the wall. Their dark, soul-less eyes constantly peered at him, feeling as though they were watching him intently. This made him feel uneasy, and he quickened his pace inside, almost tripping on the crawling stump. Once he felt the strawmen weren't watching him anymore, he eyed the stock around.

"You, uh, have some interesting wares here, ma'em," he said.

Whim

"A long journey is it?" Gwendy picked up a broom and concspiciously shuttled some dust beneath a heavy rug beforre making her way to the till, which sat atop a grimy glass case. "I can fetch you some waterskins and saddlebags the back. And these will keep you fed," she reached underneath the counter and sat a brackish jar on the . "Magic beans. Keep sprouting and sprouting and spouting so as they're in water.

"Will there be anything else? Got a lovely saddle lying about. Won't turn young master Kai back to a man, mind you, though it can make a horse sprout fins in the sea or become a camel in the sand," she continued cheerfully. Just beneath the dusty case Zekel could make out a small, orantely carved fife amidst a collection of half-melted candles, old watches, waterlogged diaries, and animal skulls.

Kai stood in the garden watching the passersby. After a few weeks La'marri had become terribly boring. For all its magic and wonder the villagers went about their lives with a certain humdrum consistency. It was time to move on. The donkey was a bit disappointed he'd not been invited in, despite his modest suggestion. It wasn't as though he'd make a mess.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

ConcernedPeacock

Zekel approached the till, eyeing the wares Gwendy had in the glass case. Compasses, ever-flowing quills, blank, magic books. The compasses took his interest, until he looked lower. There he saw the beautifully crafted fife, among the used candles and journals. He rose up from his slouching and faced the store owner. He grinned at the idea of the saddle, thinking it would make Kai more beneficial of possibly carrying himself as well.

"The saddle sounds excellent," he replied. He then pointed to the case. "I was also wondering if I could get the fife aswell? The instrument looks quiet lovely, and might make an alternative should my mandoline strings break."

Whim

"Two weeks rations and Amadar's Adaptive Saddle come to two hundred and fifty bits. Reckon I can throw in the fife for two sixty?" Gwendy climbed a nearby shelf with surprising agility, yanking down stacked boxes of crackers, the dusty saddle, and remainder of Zekel's order. Finally she unlocked the glass case and pulled out the crude wooden fife and the yellowed sheet it was wrapped in. The elemental could see it was sheet music.

"Pretty little thing. I reckon its sidhe going by the whittling. Pair of kids found this out in Niahi -- sad they picked it off a man's skeleton -- don't know if that's true. The tune itself makes doesn't sound all that pretty. Old Maerwynn says the writing looks like its from Fell -- don't know if that's true either -- two-bit wizard who likes getting a rise out of folks."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

ConcernedPeacock

"All the more interesting," Zekel replied. He eyed the yellowed paper that came with the little instrument. He mentally noted that this instrument is really old, or she held onto the music sheet for a long while.

The elemental pulled out his baggie and started pulling out the bits, counting to make sure he had enough as each coin clanked on the glass counter. He had just enough for the whole lot, but also left him with a few coins to spare. Going to have to hope we run into some inns... he thought to himself. He looked back up and grinnned. "Thank you for the supplies, and the saddle and fife" he says. He then starts to collect the items and prepared to leave.

Whim

Gwenty paused to bite one of the coiins before spilling the lot into a tiny chest. "Safe travels, aye? Tell Kai goodbye for me."

Kai had spent the last few minutes deep in concentration. The donkey had been feeling rather put out. It was hardly as though he was going to make a mess of things! It took a good ten minutes of concentration to become human -- mostly -- the ears and tail remained. The ginger youth, naked, just staggered to his feet as the elemental emerged from the shop.

"Wai-!" Kai called out in surprise. And in a flash of fur and cracking bone the young man was a donkey again. He snorted in annoyance, "Well. That's me. You got all we need?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters: