Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Village within the Walls [Open]

Started by MonochroMayhem, March 26, 2017, 02:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonochroMayhem

Yukara shivered. The aura that flowed around her must have attracted the thing, perhaps tricking it into thinking that it had found a cluster of fireflies.

She swished her blade through the air. "Piercing or not, if I dissuade it, then maybe it'll go away."

She could speak with a lot of desert animals, but this... this wasn't from the desert. This was a forest creature, and only Torien could handle those.

At the other side of the wall, Yukara noticed the tip of an ear. She grinned. "Welp," she said, "I got one shot."

With hope, she threw her dagger towards Torien, hoping her aim was good enough, before blocking the hornet's gaze of the boy.

-------
Torien had gotten back from placing the discarded items in his cottage when a sharp pain came to his ear.

"What in the name of---"

He knew not getting rid of the hornet's nest would be a problem eventually. But hornet stings didn't stay. As he pulled out what must have been a splinter, he realized it was a tiny, curved dagger.

"...darn it all." He sighed and gripped the side of the stone wall, intent on finally getting a good glance at the two who'd gotten themselves into this vanishing act.

As he spotted them, he realized they weren't far from his reach. He also saw the hornet. His options were running out.

He sighed and leaned in, his hand inching towards them.

Whim

Ewan bared his teeth in a cringe as the dagger sailed far to the left of the hornet. They'd have to be cross-eyed to miss so bad! Then Torien yelped, "You got him!

"Suppose he can hear us?" they probably sounded like squeaking mice.

Startled by the noise and movement, the hornet buzzed and circled toward Yukara, bringing its stinger to bare as it lunged. Feeling useless Ewan hugged the wire mesh, hoping it might save her the trouble of protecting him. What happened when mice got stung?

"Oh gosh! What is-" he shrieked, nearly losing his grip as the enormous shadow of Torien loomed over them.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

MonochroMayhem

Torien grabbed all three of the beings that clung to the mesh, and as he did, he felt the sting of the insect he'd caught between his thumb and forefinger. He bit his lip as the venom branched through his arm.

He closed his thumb and forefinger on the insect, squishing it. It pained him to see a creature die like that, but it would have pained him more to see Yukara and Ewan suffer such a fate.

He knew that hornets and wasps had ovipositors in their stingers, and it was possible that the hornet could have laid eggs if it had stung one of them.

He felt the other two squirming frantically in his palm, and he quickly descended from the wall and opened his hand.

"Which one of you threw the dagger at me?" he asked, half-joking. "And why did you think it was a good idea to climb across the mesh like that?"

He knew that the sting wasn't that bad, but it was still very painful to his arm, and because of that he carefully poured the two of them to his other hand.

Whim

Ewan squirmed in Torien's grip, trying to right himself on the young man's palm. It was an odd thing. Human skin felt like leather at this size. "Well... there was the snake on the ground and we were afraid of birds and stuff. Yukara said you had a whole city in there. Seemed safe for a boy whose been shrunk, yeah?" the boy cracked a smile and pointed accusingly at his pixie companion, "And she threw the knife!"

A stiff wind rustled the garden again. Feeling woozy Ewan leaned back to rest against Torien's fingers to brace himself. Suddenly the youth dumped him into the other hand, smearing wasp guts on his face. He yelped and cursed, righting himself again. "Uh, sorry! Thanks for saving me by the way. I'm Ewan. And I'm a sorcerer; a really good one too. Bet I could help you with that ting. Looks raw, it does.

"Lamplighter hornets are pretty nasty. Pretty too. They eat fireflies you know. I suppose they have big stingers to drive off people looking to catch fireflies. Bats too, I guess..." The boy puffed out his chest, looking rather pompous given the circumstances.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

MonochroMayhem

Torien shook his head. "I've seen these wasps before," he said. "Been trying to get rid of the nest for years. The stings hurt, but they can pull their stingers out, so it's alright." He began to walk around the wall, and he produced a handkerchief from his pocket and offered it to the two of them. "You shouldn't be climbing across the netting like that."

Yukara's aura glowed a dull red. "Well, sorry! It was either that or risk the snake climbing up the wall and blocking our path." She crossed her arms. "Where the heck were you when we were busy dying?"

Torien raised an eyebrow and plucked Yukara up by the waist. "I'm sorry, you were saying?"

Yukara squirmed in his grip. "Why must you be so belligerent, Torien?" she asked. "Do you want to kill me? You're going to crush my chest."

Torien looked to the boy. "Don't be frightened, she's just not used to being picked up like this."

Yukara screeched, angry and embarrassed. "You are in so much trouble when this is over."

"I'm just removing you so the boy can clean himself up and have his space. A lady like you should know better than to invade privacy." He looked back to the boy. "Judging from your height, it seems you're going to be stuck at least for the rest of the evening, perhaps 24 hours or so. Though, depending on your tolerance to the plant, it may be adjusted to be more or less."

As he reached the corner of the wall, he climbed up and placed the boy near the hole in the netting. He held Yukara close so he could see her. "It didn't sting you, right?"

"No, Torien," Yukara replied, irked. "It didn't."

"Good," he said. He placed her down quickly, and Yukara swayed and fell over on the cold brick. "If I recall correctly, you have a performance at the Tavern tonight."

"Oh no." Yukara's body paled. "I..."

Torien smiled. "Since he's stuck like that for a time, you two go in and I will catch up with you later."

With that, he left.

Yukara looked over the edge of the hole. Beneath the two of them there was a large bush. It was generally used for landing purposes, but in the event that ones wings were damaged it could be used to land with relative comfort from such a high drop.

She looked over to Ewan. "He didn't hurt you, did he?"

Whim

"I'm okay. Just shaken up is all..." Ewan meant it figuratively and literally. His hair was a mess up from being picked up and dropped and turned upside down. The boy blushed as he remembered his nudity, eyes darting to the tin and handkerchief. "Just let me get dressed, yeah?"

He wiped the mud and dirt smudges away and entered the tin. The clothes inside looked strange yet familiar. They might have looked like the loose, floppy clothes worn by Serenians but for the materials. There was a waist-coat of waxy leaves, sun-dress made of shed insect wings. Ewan was about to settle for a simple tunic when his gaze fell upon a coat made from beetle carapace, complete with a mandibular helmet. Gods knew how it accidently ended up in Torien's little wardrobe. That didn't stop him from putting it on. Maybe it was a little bulky... but it looked amazing!

"There we go! What do you think?" he scuttled from the tin and spin around to show her, proud of his new find. "And you sounded pretty good. Why don't you wanna play at the tavern?" the boy cast a dubious glance toward the opening and village beyond.

The village beyond amounted mostly to a ring of tiny cottages, each lovingly crafted, clustered around a trio of standing stones. Lanterns were strung above the houses, casting a a pale bio-luminescence over the hamlet. The temporary gourd-houses were visible further up, suspended from a vine. In the distance they could just make out a pixie and some manner of rodent lounging outside one of the larger buildings, no doubt the tavern.

They began their descent. Ewan scrambled down the bush and into the little village with surprising agility, with Yukara simply fluttering after. It wasn't so scary, not with so many branches to grab and boughs to break his fall. With an 'oof' the boy landed on his bottom, rolling from side to side in the in the beetle-armor. "Gah!"

Maybe it wasn't such a good choice... but he had a beetle helmet!

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

MonochroMayhem

Yukara giggled as the poor boy tumbled, and she helped him up. "You're a bit clumsy in that armor, Ewan."

She gazed out over the village and sighed. "It's not that I have any problem with my performance, but it's just..." Her glow turned pink. "Listen, I usually only play because someone is waiting there..."

She thought for a moment about Torien before shaking her head.

"Before the snake attacked us, you said something about kidnapping?" She asked. "Seems a bit hypocritical, taking children from families, when you yourself are dispossessed." She pointed to the nicely built houses. "Each one of these belongs to one or possibly a group of Fae who were exiled or even left to die in the wilderness."

She looked to him. "I'm not interested in kidnapping or any of that changeling hooey. But," she said, "I am quite intrigued with those marks you've got on you. What happened there?"

Whim

"Someone special?" Ewan gave her an impish smirk, "Who won't be crushing you to death?" That it was Torien hadn't occurred to him. But Yukara had turned such an alarming shade of pink he left it there.

The boy brightened at the mention of his tattoos. Immediately, he pulled off the beetle helmet and unfastened the chitin tunic. Thick, ochre mucus had welled beneath the plates "Ugh! Where'd that come from?

"Okay! So when I finished my apprenticeship I decided it would be a grand thing to stay young and handsome forever. So I worked out a spell to summon the Twice Blessed Prince of Dawn and Dusk. He's a dull - uh - dualistic spirit you see. Likes to do trades and stuff. Gave him my knowledge and magic and got eternal youth. I'd have forever to re-learn it all anyway, yeah?

"I smeared my hand in blood, shook his, and shrank. Had these markings ever since," Ewan splayed his arms and chest to show her. The tattoos were dark green, and wove around him in an elegant floral pattern. Yukara recognized the symbols as belonging to an archaic language used by highborn fey. Everything said or written in it was true, and nothing could be unsaid or contradicted. Sometimes an intrepid bardlock would try to sing in it... and usually make someone turn into sheep, combust, or be banished to another world. She could make out some key phrases seeming to corroborate Ewan's tale. More strange was a symbol marking him as 'prey' - but prey for what?

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

MonochroMayhem

"Prey," Yukara remarked. "That's not a fun word." What on earth could that have meant?

She knew about highborn fae types. Her old kingdom used to spread rumors about princes and nobility of such status. She didn't like their kind since they referred to pixies as "bottom of the food chain" types.

She took a step back and looked at the boy. "Ewan, I'm not exactly sure how long that spell is gonna keep you young. I can't quite tell if it's a youth spell or an adjustment spell..."

Whim

"It was supposed to be permanent! I worded it so perfect." Ewan scowled, looking down at his scrawny frame. Did he trade away half his life, and become this filthy child, just for an extra decade? The boy crossed his arms defiantly. "Guess its not a waste. I can just do the spell over again when I get too old, huh?"

"And what's this about prey? When you're done playing do you know anyone who reads this stuff?" the boy squirmed get a look at the marking. It made no sense to him. But it was an ancient, secret language spoken by the god-kings of a hidden people. There was one man in the village who might know - not abandoned or orphaned but exiled from a frozen forest far to the north - seldom did he speak of such things.

Ewan slipped back into the beetle-shirt and clapped the helmet on his head. It was strangely comfy, despite the mucus and stiff joints. As they walked he dallied to gawk at the towering daffodils and grass-hedges. Yukara was running late, but the little tavern came into view soon enough. Several pixies, crickets, and field-mice were already filtering in.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

MonochroMayhem

"I only assume Ganzen would understand the folklore of the old ones. It's unfortunate that you seem to have become ensnared."

Expiration was a very pertinent matter in Yukara's world. You see, death was something that waited a while to get you naturally, but predators were practically everywhere. She wasn't sure what the expiration notice was, since that was the only word in a common tongue.

The pub was bustling with people. Yukara was normally excited for the events here, but tonight a somber wind swept the doorway of the place.

She gripped Ewan's hand and guided him towards the door. She noticed the glances she was getting, looks of scorn. How could she abduct a child? they probably thought.

She stared down a particularly upset young lady whose wings were pinned ceremonially. "Listen Beata, if I were you I'd leave the assumptions to somebody else. Unless you want me to tell your mother about your affair."

As the pinned Fae stamped off, she turned to Ewan. "A lot of people hate the idea of kidnapping here. Most of us were abandoned to die or exiled. It wouldn't seem right to take someone out of their environment. So most of those dirty looks are from me, not you."

She lied of course, to some degree. They would certainly wonder why a human would have wandered in here like this. But at least it was a comforting lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whim

Ewan's gaze trailed after Beata as they passed, whispering to Yukara, "Why's her wings pinned? Was it because she, um, had an affair?

"And what do faeries really do with kids? Make them, um, us to do chores?

"Keep us as pets to sing and dance?

"Make us come up with ideas for pranks on account of them having no imagination?

"Turn us into frogs and impersonate us so our parents take care of them?

"And can we see Ganzen when you're done playing?" Ewan screwed up his face as Yukara lead him through the pub. He didnt need his hand held! Though he squeezed back when they passed an enormous spider. Graxiz'zt the barkeep.

It was putting four of it's arms to working the taps, and waved cheerfully to Yukara. "Ah! Kara!" he chittered. "You are late. I was so worried, oh yes I was, that our ears would be not blessed with beautiful music! But the builder. The builder the builder the builder. Oh where is your pretty friend?" One of Graxiz'zt's eyes winked suggestively. Maybe. It was hard to tell!

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

MonochroMayhem

Yukara sighed. "You ask so many things that stun me. Her wings are pinned for marriage. Symbolically it means she isn't meant to fly away from her groom. As for kids, well, we tend to give them a nice fantasy before they find themselves waking in a field. That way they believe it was a dream. I haven't decided since your a bit more... mature... to do such a thing yet."

Graxiz'zt was shouting across the pub to her, and her eyebrow twitched. "He's not coming, Grax. You know better than I do that he ran into your cousin last week and ever since he's been frightened by spiders. He can't even handle one in his cottage without calling on me to place it outside. Also, you should be grateful- the other reason he's not here is that he's driving away lizards and snakes from the walls."

Whim

"A bit more mature? I'm a powerful sorcerer! And I'll hardly want to just forget any of this..." the boy's head swiveled to watch a pair of mice in surcoats, clutching tiny bows, clinking glasses. Ewan knew his magic and alchemy but had never seen the like. Did all mice and spiders and faeries lead such interesting lives away from human eyes? Made you think twice about crushing one. At a nearby table a pair of crickets were carving up a blackberry as if it were a roast. His stomach began to growl, and he tugged at the pixie's sleeve. "Um, do you suppose we could get something to eat before we see Ganzen? Its safe right? But I haven't got any money or anything..."

"Good, good. His struggles with the serpent shall inspire her to sing, yes? And this time her words will not  make  fire... dance and burn floor?" Graz chittered with amusement, before turning to regard the boy. "Yes, yes. Will get meal for small grub."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

MonochroMayhem

Yukara grimaced at Graz. "Don't you dare give him anything he can't handle."

She took a seat in the center of the room. "I'm going to have to be a little more conservative on the tunes tonight, much to the dismay of the  Prosciutto Sisters," she spoke. Two mice nearby sighed and squeaked.

"Yes I know," Yukara said. "But I have a guest I must tend to and I'd hate to leave a bad impression." She picked up a lute that leaned against the wall and breathed. "I think I have just the tune."

And with that, she strummed her first chord.

"Ah....
Se le to marah geren sé...
A baryah tala morii mane...

Along the road the traveler walks,
Unwary to the eyes below,
A shadow lurks waiting to strike,
His dagger grin begins to glow,
The traveler stops for but a while,
He feels the wind, the air, the guile
Of the one
Who whispers just behind:

Ah!
Se le to marah geren sé,
A baryah tala morii mane!

You came too far, you crossed the line, the woods are not your home.

Se le to marah geren sé
Mia tolvah ese a sunnai!

Have fun with your life,
count your blessings and goodbye..."

The song went on. It was a tune that, while upbeat in tempo, contained rather melancholic minor key.

But something stranger still was happening, something between Ewan and those words.

Whim

The guests at the Spider's web clacked their claws in step with the up-beat tune. A handful joined in with the chorus, quite a bit out of key, and were promptly hushed. Surprisingly, Graz did not serve some horrible fungus or skewered insect, but a cake drizzled with cinnamon and honey. Of course if there were cities of field mice and spiders, there must be bees making and selling the stuff. The cake was good but probably unwise. Ewan wasn't going to have any growth spurts given his current condition, and slightly round about the middle.

Lovely as the tune was, a song about being stalked and run out of the forest was hardly very friendly. Was it aimed at him? Probably a joke. But something else was off. The tavern had been dimly lit with foxfie lanterns strung from the rafters, but now it seemed... brighter? It took some moments for it to register that no one was casting a shadow! How strange.

What Ewan did not notice was the wisps of shadow streaking across the floor, and coalescing beneath his table. One of the Prosciutto sisters shrieked in horror as a gaunt figure, made of pure darkness, rose out of the floor behind the boy...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters: