Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Food?

Started by Anonymous, March 03, 2006, 02:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Aceltia staggered along the city streets alongside Kat looking at all the delicious foods being sold by the vendors. She was starving! The bread, the butchered meats, the cheeses and fruits. The hawkling's desire for food would not be met until she'd eaten her fill, which was common for her kind. There was one problem however, she had no money and wasn't too sure if her compainion did either. In fact, all she carried with her was a small sack full of nick nacks from her home and her necklace. Unconsciously she ran her fingers over the silver and felt the images that were imprinted into it, wondering if someday her past would confront her and her friend might learn her secrets.

Quickly, her keen sense of smell picked up the aroma of steaming rice and spices. It reminded her of the traditional dishes that used to be served at festivals and events. A bakery near by carried the scent of fresh baked bread, the foreign chef down the isle of shops was obviously serving up seasoned fish of some sort. The girl turned to Kat, "So, what shall we eat?" Of course, at the moment that was the only thing really on her mind.

Anonymous

"There are so many choices!" the angel said, in a bubbly tone. Angels didn't need to eat, but even she couldn't deny that the human foods did look and smell delicious. Perhaps she would try some, too.

"Just tell me which ones you want, and I'll get them for you," she laughed. Now, the amount of people didn't seem so bad. She watched them all bustle and whiz past her in a hurry. She heard them shouting out their wares, and people haggling.

Children laughed, dogs barked, and cats hissed. Perhaps she was shy and not exactly a city girl, but at least she had a friend with her.

Anonymous

"Hmm..." Aceltia scratched at her chin and peered at the vendors again. All the sudden she stopped, jaw dropped in front of a certain stall. "Kuus-kuus! They've got kuus-kuus!" She was excited. It was one of the common dishes amongst her people! The smell of rice, nuts, and peppered chicken was enticing. "Oh my goodness, this is some of the best food you'll eat!" It was prepared just like at home. All the flavorful goodness packed into a bowl!

The hawkling seemed to take on a whole personality when in search of food. Really it was more of an instinct, but in this case, she was also rather curious. She thanked Kat for purchasing the meal and she grabbed two bowls, sat down, and pulled out the spoons. Now that she seemed to have settled down a bit more, she smiled at her companion. "So, are you ready to try a bite?"

The kuus-kuus was more of a traditional dish. It was steamed rice, some forest nuts, and spiced chicken. There were bits of garlic and parsley mixed in as well. Obviously it was one of her favorites.  :D

Anonymous

Kat smiled at her friend's happiness, and giggled. What a funny name for a food! Maeve had given her a little money before she left, but it was only enough for one meal.
  "You're an angel. You'll manage on your own. Ty and I need the rest of the money, so she doesn't keep pulling jewels outta nowhere. If she keeps doin' that, we'll have thieves practically sleeping in our beds," the fire mage had said.

She took a spoonful. She had eaten many strange things in her life, but was delighted to find that this particular dish was delicious - and more normal. Quickly but daintily, she finished the bowl.
  "It's good!" she exclaimed. "What's in it? It's almost like an Elvish dish I had," she mused.

Despite the fact that her body didn't need energy from food, there was one thing that she could not resist having. And that thing was chocolate. She was completely addicted to it. Especially European chocolate.

Anonymous

The hawkling munched thoughtfully and nodded. She swallowed and replied, "Kuus-kuus is a foreign dish that was brought to my people a long time ago. We used to eat it as a traditional staple." She grinned and continued to eat. It reminded her of the good old times she had with her siblings and parents. They'd eat it for brunch all the time. She was glad that Kat liked it. Some people thought it was too spicy although the seasonings weren't that strong.

Aceltia had a passion for not only food, but cooking. Her knowledge and recipes were limited, but each one was quality and authentic. Of course, they were all from her family, like a passed down secret. Though, it wasn't really that much of a secret at all.

Anonymous

OOC: Gah! I know it took ages - I forgot that I didn't reply. So, sorry it's so short.

"You should teach me how to cook it!" she chirped. Suddenly, her face lit up. "I know! While we figure out where to go next, we could exchange favorite recipes!"

She seemed very pleased with the idea, and began to go through all the different dishes from the countries and places she had been.

Anonymous

She girnned from ear to ear it seemed. Cooking was fun and she found it rather relaxing. It then occured to her that there were many things she could teach her friend and many things her friend could teach her. That is, as soon as she felt it was time to reveal what she'd been hiding. Either way, trading a few cooking secrets wouldn't hurt.

"Have you ever tried a dish called kjistfisk?" She asked her friend, already knowing the likely answer. It wasn't a common dish anyways.

Anonymous

Kat turned her head, and giggled as she tried to pronounce it.
  "No, I've never had anything that sounds like that. What is it?" she asked eagerly.

Hopefully there would be some food she knew and could compare it to for future reference.  However, not all things could be compared. Some dishes just couldn't be described; you have to had sampled them. A lot of Elven foods were like that, she found. Fae food was the same.

"We should gather some ingredients and find a place to stay for the night," the angel suggested. The sun was beginning to get low, and the light (though still generous), was beginning to wane.

Anonymous

Finishing her dish with some satisfaction, she leaned back and admired the sky. Her companion was right, the sun was preparing to sleep. "You are right. The ingredients however, are from the sea. Fish, lemon, peppers, and oranges." So, returning their dishes and wandering the streets, they found those things. The butcher was affiliated with the fisherman and sold them some fish, the lemons were near the grocer, the peppers were with some spice lady, and orange was with the lemons.

"Where do we stay?" Asked the hawkling.

OOC: Sorry that it's so late and so short

Anonymous

"Umm..." Kathryn chewed her lip in thought. There really was no money for them to pay an inn. She was an angel, and didn't even think about using her powers to get a room. Of course, she was taken care of, and needn't've worried.

A large woman who looked to be middle-aged came up to them as they wandered around with their groceries.
  "That's a lot of stuff to be carrying with ye!" she said heartily, her rosy cheeks glowing in the dim light. "What'chye goin' ta make with all that?" she asked.
  "My friend was going to teach me how to cook something," Kat replied with a cheerful smile.

"Well then, ye'll need a kitchen! Come, come! I've got just the kitchen for ye at my husband's inn!" she laughed. The angel gasped in surprise.
  "Oh, no! We couldn't use your kitchen. You hardly even know us!"

The large woman laughed again, and took Kat's hand. Helplessly, she grabbed on to Aceltia as they were led to the aforementioned inn, the Double Dragon, and guided them into the kitchen. "I have a good feeling that ye will make something powerful delicious! A stomach like this can't go wrong!" she said, giving it a little pat and a wink.

Kat DID want to learn how to cook, and looked at Aceltia.
  "She lent us her kitchen, so it's only fair that we let her taste some," she said. She helped the hawkling wash and cut everything and mirrored her movements. She was very careful and precise, making sure she did everything exactly as Aceltia had shown her.

Of course, there were times when she dropped something, or didn't get something quite right. But in the end, the kjistfisk was just fine. The two were very sweaty from being around so much concentrated heat, but they thouroughly enjoyed the experience.
  "Please try some," Kat said, proudly presenting the food to the woman.

She ate some and Kat was sure she saw stars in her eyes.
   "My stars! This is delicious! What are ye names?" she asked.
   "K-Kathryn, ma'am. And this is my friend Aceltia," she said gesturing to the girl.
   "I'm Ryma Duble*," she said, heartily shaking both of their hands. "Well, Kathryn and Aceltia, what say ye to working here at the Double Dragons as cooks and waitresses?"

Kat blushed.
  "N-Not the kind with short dresses..." she stammered. She couldn't stand the thought of wearing something so revealing.
  "Heavens, no! Ye'll wear proper clothes! I'll have a bodice and homespun made for ye both." The angel looked at Aceltia.
  "Anou...what does Aceltia want to do?" she asked her friend.

*Rye-mah Doo-blay

Anonymous

"Uh...er...waitresses and cooks?" She looked at Kat.
"Well, uh, I don't know." She hadn't been in search of a job in particular, but maybe it could be fun for a while.
"I suppose for a bit we could. What do you say Kat?" It felt like a rather awkward moment. It had been such a surprise and rather random at the same time.

There they'd been, working with their sleeves rolled up in a steamy kitchen. Kat had been pretty good at preparing the fish and fruits and Aceltia had said that she was a natural. Stuffing the fish chunks with fruits and broiling them in seasonings that were fresh from the market. The hawkling wiped some sweat off her brow and looked up to see her companion's smile. The woman too, had been quite satisfied. Though, on the other hand, Aceltia couldn't help but be a bit suspicious that the lady had let them use her kitchen simply to see if they were good for hire.

The prospect of a comfortable bed did sound rather nice however. Aceltia had not rested since they'd arrived here and her ankles ached from taking such a long trek on foot the whole time, instead of flying. The softness in her blue eyes was asisted with weariness and fatigue.

Anonymous

She could see the fatigue in Aceltia's eyes. Even if they did not ultimately accept the offer, she knew that her friend needed to rest. She suddenly felt horribly guilty for dragging her places and not even asking how she was.

I do not sense any evil in her aura. I feel we can trust her... Kat silently told her friend. It was fun to be able to work with her companion, and this would provide them with a roof over their heads, proper meals, and money...

Anonymous

At this she nodded as Kat's words were projected into her thoughts. "Yeah, we'll accept your offer." She smiled cheerfully to mask her weariness and looked into the woman's dazzling eyes. Her rosy cheeks became dimpled as she smiled back and her sides heaved from her own jolly laughter. Then it occured to the hawkling that this woman didn't have the slightest idea about Aceltia's wings. Or Kat's for the matter. They'd been pressed up upon her back and rather uncomfortably too. "Do you think that you can make something for a hawkling?"

Anonymous

The woman smiled and nodded.
  "Of course, dear. Tomorrow, I'll have you measured and then I'll go out and have it tailored. Meanwhile, Saaki will show you around and guide you through your first day. Mornings start at 6 A.M. sharp, dears. Be sure to get plenty of rest. Saaki!" she called.

A tall, slender woman appeared beside Ryma. She looked to be about eighteen or nineteen, and had orange hair that had black streaks in it. Her skin was fair, but she had dark eyes. Both girls were surprised to find a orange-and-black-striped tail showing.

"Hello. I am Saaki Jahaveh. As you can see, I am of the cat family. I am a tigeress. You are an angel, yes?" she asked Kat.
  "Y-yes," she stammered. "Please just call me Kat. I am very pleased to meet you!" she said, bowing.

Saaki smiled.
  "The pleasure is all mine. All the animals wish to meet one of your kind. And you," she turned to Aceltia, "are lucky to have her as a friend, hawkling. Follow me, and I will show you to your room. I will introduce you to the staff tomorrow morning."
  "She seems uppity sometimes, but she's really very gentle. She's also a good worker and has her own fanclub among the men because she's so beautiful," Ryma whispered to the girls.

Kat couldn't help but giggle. She had a feeling that she would like this place very much.

Anonymous

((And now we hijack your thread. Cheers!))

An angel! Her aura was briliant beacon even in the middle of a city, full of people of a million different kinds all going to and fro. It was also a sad reminder that his own his own aura was just as pure, his heart untainted in spite of all he had done. He had several times considered rebelling against his master, but whether he obeyed or rebelled his intentions were pure, and so the action, no matter how terrible, could be condoned in the eyes of many, even those with sight as gifted as own people.

But the angel wasn't the target, and unless she was actuallly standing next to the hawkling, it shouldn't be a problem. If she was, well, angels might be a hundred times more powerful than him in terms of what they could do, but he was a much more efficient fighter. Of course, it might be in for a bit of a shock when it saw he had a dragon's leg -- they were difficult to conceal on the spiritual plane, implants. Resonance from a different creature's life, that sort of thing. Not important now.

Of course, if he was wrong, and his target wasn't in that inn... well, come what may. Perhaps he would even be too late to catch her, and disobey with his honor and thrice-accursed pure soul intact. In any case, he strode in, looking around for any physical or spiritual signs of the hawkling.

Anonymous

((Silv, your character is working with mine correct? I'm still not totally clear on everything, but here's an intro post anyway.))

This had better be the one.. Pall Larus had spent a fortune and a great deal of time on this venture, but hopefully it would pay off soon. The albino elf peered into the scrying circle floating in front of him. It certainly seemed to be the same girl. He wouldn't get his hopes up just yet, but it looked as though this was her.

With a quick motion, Larus dismissed the magical spying device. He had already sent his companions on ahead in any case. He needed privacy for his work, and there was much to do. Luckily, Larus was experienced in his art, and could accomplish this quickly.

Shuffling on deformed limbs, Pall Larus went to work. The three bodies had already been formed of a random assortment of tree branches, mechanical parts, and animal corpses. They were kin to the dark form perched on his shoulder and the four which surrounded the small grove. His little pets, the only company he tolerated when practicing his art.

Beginning the incantation, Larus was pleased to notice a faint glowing on the prepared bodies. The magical runes stamped on them pulsed with a sickly green light. They were ready.

With a quick motion, the mage quickly raised his arm, slashing it with the ceremonial knife clutched in his left hand. The gash welled with red blood. It was deep, and certain to join the ranks of long scars adorning both of his arms. The blood trickled onto the artificial bodies, and was seemingly drank up by the mis-matched materials they were formed of.

Binding his wound, Pall Larus regarded his newest creations. They were small, light and would be perfectly suited to skulking about the city unnoticed. They were to be his eyes in Ketra, for he was loathe to enter such a crowded place himself.

Pall Larus smiled, and muttered to his familiars in an arcane tongue. The three newest ones immediately vanished from the grove, one on four insect-like legs, one on a multitude of salvaged bird-wings, and one on wheels of polished brass. Larus was pleased with them, but now it was time for other matters.

His largest familiar shambled up to him and lifted him into the small living compartments on it's back. His work done, Larus returned to his book.

Anonymous

Aceltia began to feel an uneasiness wash over her. It was something abstract that she could not define. The lights outside dimmed and her level of awareness began to drop. Allowing herself to be led into that which would be her dwellings for a bit, she thanked Saaki and smiled and at the sound of the door closing, she removed her cloak which she'd wrapped tightly to hide her wings.

With a lazy yawn, she fanned them out and stretched with her hands on the back of her head. A blond tangle of hair caught her touch and using her fingers as comb, she undid the mess. "Kat, do you think that anyone else knows we're here?"
That strange feeling was still there, like an annoying pounding in her head that something was astray.
There were two beds there in the room, each with white sheets and a woven blanket on them. Randomly, she allowed herself to collapse in one and closed her eyes. She wasn't going to sleep just yet, but her limbs and muscles ached from her travel. The softness of the bedding was nice, it made her feel better. Now if only she could get all her travel-soot off. That and she was happy that she'd have new clothes. That which she had would certainly be out of place here. Traveler's linens. It was unfortunate that she had been unable to bring any items with her besides her necklace and her leather pouch that always hung from her belt.

Maybe the wind currents would be better tommorrow and after working they might find a place to fly. Or maybe it wouldn't work out. Maybe they would get in trouble, or possibly she could be found out by those who she knew sought after her. Then more than ever, she wished she had her flute. Why hadn't she brought it?! It made her a bit despressed. The item was one of the few that had lasted her whole lifetime and had been a sacred family keepsake.

Anonymous

Kat smiled at her friend, and sat with perfect posture on the vacant bed. It was a habit that often drew eyes - and disgust.
  "What do you mean?" she asked.

She was still overwhelmed by the kindness that they had been shown, and closed her eyes, smiling blissfully. It felt so good to know that such people still existed in the world.

Anonymous

With a yawn she replied, "I'm not sure."
Deciding to ignore the knots in her stomach, she waited for sunset, watching through the room's only window.
"I think I'll go to sleep now. I'm awfully tired." Another yawn caught her speech and she tucked herself under the covers with her wings wrapped around her like a blanket. Closing her eyes, she slowly slipped into unconciousness. The dark, peacefulness of sleep.

Soon in the night she was shaking all over.
In her dreams she watched a flame, crackling with the warmth of a summer sand, grow larger and larger. Winds carried her in a spinning vortex. Soon the flame began to change shape and became more like the sun in a blue sky. Then she was flying, looking out over a forest of green treetops. Above were the clouds, her canopy in the wide open air. All around there were birds. Flocks of them scattering into the trees and then rising up from their perches. Again she peered below and saw her home, the Fiahn.

The Fiahn was built among trees, like a giant tree city, it was riddled with those of her own kind. The forest though, all around it, was part of it. Landing with avian grace she looked around and noticed the ancient carvings and textiles. Her people buzzed around on the wooden platforms to market places, homes, and to the great Natredaur. Natredaur was the great platform they had built many decades before, crafting it from the strongest wood and most beautiful marbel to build a great stage. In the middle of it stood her father, addressing the peoples. It all seemed so real, so firmiliar to Aceltia.

She caught the gaze of his blue eyes which were as deep and clear as her own. A ring of silver which was as a crown upon his black hair, caught the sun's light through the tall trees towering all around. On his lips he wore a smile and lifted his fist in the air shouting, "Kirih akha moshoh mokasa!" or in English, "Forever in peace!" And all the crowd in the trees around him shouted saying the same.

In a flash, she found herself hovering above chaos and murder. A reinactiment of The Attack. Humanoids of all kinds charged in with great numbers, enough to wipe out a great army. In another instant she found herself standing amongst dead corpses of her kind.

With a jolt she screamed and found herself awake, staring at a wooden wall, covered in her own cold sweat. The dream had been so peaceful for a moment, like a taste of heaven to her. Never would she taste it again in reality she supposed. It wasn't likely.

Anonymous

Kat did not need to sleep, but even if she wanted to, she couldn't have. Something was making her very uneasy. She felt as if her very soul was being thrust into darkness. She shivered at the thought. Eyes seemed to peer from every direction at her.

But fear subsided as she heard her companion shaking. Softly, she rose and knelt by Aceltia's bedside. There she waited until her friend awoke screaming.

She was rather surprised to find Saaki in her nightgown, throwing knives ready in her hand.
  "What happened?" she demanded.
  "There is nothing to worry about," Kat said, gently cradling the hawkling. Saaki didn't know if the angel was reassuring her or Aceltia, but said nothing. "She was having a bad dream," Kat said softly.

"Very well," the tigeress said stonily. Though she left the room, she leaned against the wall near their door, just in case. Her warrior instincts hardly ever allowed her sleep, anyway.

Are you all right? she silently questioned her friend.