Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Lie We Seek (M)

Started by Valtxr, May 22, 2017, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valtxr

(((@Elekta Kount / @Draconian )))

Siro eyed her sister, Sharon, warily. She could always tell now when Sharon was about to do something dangerous. Or terrible. Or both.
   They both sat at the outside table, the morning sun partially obscured by clouds. The smell of fresh and cooked meat about them from the butcher's shop. Over the past two months, they'd come here so often that Sharon had gotten to know the butcher and his wife. Bought the most expensive meals they had to offer. She had made a lot of money doing something on that long trip to Cerenis in Serendipity. But she never said what.
   Sharon ate her eggs and bacon quickly. Siro had barely touched her own plate.
   And Sharon noticed. "What's the matter? Not hungry?"
   "Just tell me."
   Sharon chewed a bit more slowly. Blinked. Pretended. "Tell you what?"
   "What you're going to do today."
   Sharon swallowed. Glanced around them. At the people walking up and down the street. It was that face that Siro had come to recognize. The look laden with guilt and tension. As if even strangers knew her darkest secrets. As if they were all accusing her.
   Sharon pushed her plate away. Wiped her mouth. Spoke slowly. "I just have a big day today. An important job to do. That's all. Nothing to be worried about."
   "You should tell yourself that."
   Sharon froze for a second. Siro didn't mean to hurt her sister, but she needed to know.
   "What do you want from me?" Sharon said. Almost a whisper.
   "The truth. Please."
   "Okay..."
   "Nana wouldn't tell me what you did in Cerenis."
   "Siro..."
   "Did you kill someone?"
   A moment of dead quiet between them. The people passing on the street. The light commotion of the early morning. The hiss of meat being cooked in the butcher's shop.
   Siro eyed her sister with a hard determination. Saw in her eyes that she desperately wanted to lie again. Struggled, knowing she couldn't.
   "Yes," Sharon said.
   "Why?"
   "Because he was an evil man. And he deserved to die for what he did."
   "What did he do?"
   A brief look of fear. And Sharon shook her head slowly. "I can't tell you that."
   Silence stole their voices once more.
   Siro looked down to her feet. Dangling just above the ground as she sat. "Are you going to kill someone today?"
   "Maybe."
   "Why? Why do you have to do this?"
   "Because..." Sharon hesitated. "Because sometimes, to do some good in the world, some real good...you have to do something bad first."

Sharon dropped Siro off at Charles and Merissa's house with Niko. Charles himself was at work in Earnhardt's estate. He had been working almost every day and night in the two months since Mr. Deegan's death in Cerenis. Mr. Winters was almost finished appropriating all of his old rival's territory, but there were still jobs to be done. Charles didn't need Sharon or Jorge today, so the time was right for this.
   Sharon followed Merissa to the meeting spot. An inn, named Reajh's Finest. A normal, unassuming inn on the outside, but built with thick walls to all but obscure and mask sounds and voices within. A traveler could spend the night here and never even know of the illicit meetings and deals that happened in the rooms within. Merissa had used this inn herself back in her days as a full-time thief and operative for Mr. Winters. She knew it well.
   It was here that Merissa put out the word on Sharon's behalf. The word of a job: Clandestine professional wanted. Bodyguard work, perhaps more. Experience versus magic preferred.
   And it was time to find out if any such professionals answered the call.

They stood beside the front door of Reajh's Finest. Looked inconspicuous. Watched the people on the street. Waited to see if any of them broke off from the crowd and started for the inn.
   "What do you know about him? This...sorcerer?" Sharon asked.
   Merissa held a hand over her mouth as she chuckled. "Oh. Strathus? Why, he's a fine gentleman, of course."
   "I'd rather you not be facetious right now."
   Merissa laid a hand on Sharon's shoulder. "You mustn't be so nervous, Sharon. There's only the slightest probability that he'll incinerate all of us on sight. And I'm feeling lucky today."
   Sharon narrowed her eyes. Took in an unsteady breath. She hated mages. Hated them. But she'd seen something worse in Cerenis. Something she knew she could fight. But in order to do that, to carry out the plan she had come up with, she needed to make a deal with one.
   So be it.
   "And this sorcerer, Strathus..." Sharon lowered her voice. "Are you sure he can do what I need him to do?"
   Merissa smiled. "Well, my dear, that's not for me to say. That's for you to hope for."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

One figure stood out of the crowed like a sore thumb....well there were really two people in the party, but the bigger, much more older looking gentlmen in plate mail with a heater shield strap to his arm and a great mace on his shoulder called the attention of most passerbers. Many of them would have at least seen him once in their life time... the man was an old veteran of the Connoloath army, a man who had marched in and out of the massive gates protecting the capital more times then most people could count.

Standing next to him was a less remarkable fellow. He was wearing a rather bulky overcoat and a red scarf concealed his face. But overall there were nothing much to special about this other many, other then the fact that he was with the man with the booming laughter.

If one would notice the large man, and why wouldn't they? They would know he was laughing with his companion, before he pointed out the Reajh's Finest to what seemed to be his companion, who only gave a faint nod.

The two then made their way there, the man in the overcoat kept his hands in his coat pockets while the bigger man swung  his shield arm as he went, humming an old marching tune.

As they reached the bar, the bigger man slammed open the door and gave a loud greetings. Some commotion was heard inside, before the two figures disappeared into the inn.

Valtxr

There wouldn't be too many people going into the inn. Not at this time of day. So the armored man and his overcoat-clad friend did indeed stick out. Neither Sharon nor Merissa paid them any attention as they entered.
   A few moments after they were gone, Sharon glanced to Merissa. "Was that them?"
   "Seemed promising. Wouldn't you say?"
   Merissa gestured her head toward the front door. Headed inside, and Sharon followed.
   A small lobby area that opened up into the bar on the left. The stairs leading up to the rooms on the second floor to the right. Merissa walked forward, up to the innkeeper. Asked him a question. He nodded. Merissa turned back around and walked back to Sharon, a big smile on her face.
   "Let's go have a chat with our new friends. Shall we?"
   With that, Merissa led the way into the bar. A large room with a number of tables, accommodating for both inn patrons and passersby who fancied a quick drink or a social environment. Natural light poured in from the big windows on the far wall.
   A surprisingly lively atmosphere, made even more so by the entrance of the armored man and his friend. Some of the inn patrons and day-drinkers seemed to know one or both of them. Still, even the bar dwellers who paid them no heed conversed and laughed and joked among themselves. And for such an early hour, the bartender was kept quite busy.
   Sharon eyed everyone warily, her right hand resting idly on her holstered pistol, much like a gunslinger. She was very much on edge. And not just about confronting one of her worst fears, coming face-to-face with another mage. It was the tremendous risk and danger of her plan. Her gambit. How one mistake could immediately spell the end for both herself and Siro. Merissa was oddly nonplussed about the whole situation, yet none of that confidence and nonchalance had rubbed off on Sharon.
   Merissa waited, and Sharon stood by her side. They waited for the commotion to die down, for most of the eyes in the bar to wander elsewhere. Only after attention had drifted and the two men had gotten settled did Merissa walk forward with Sharon in tow.
   Merissa eyed them both. Smiled. Said, "Good day, gentlemen. I realize this may seem quite forward of me, but, might I be so bold as to ask you two what has brought you to the Finest today? A drink? Some rest? Or perhaps business?"
   Sharon watched them both. The red-scarfed man more than the armored one. He reminded her of Jorge with the mask on. A wild card, like Jorge. Maybe.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

The armored man had been talking with the bartender with a mug on the counter when Merissa came up to him. His companion was still facing forward, holding a mug with two hands. He only took a minute to glance back to Merissa, before he kept staring forward.

The people who had recognized the man in the overcoat had hastily went back to their business, pretending as if nothing was happening.

"Why, lassy, I'd say to all of the above." The big armored man said. He had an eyepatch and although his hair was all grey he had a real finally groomed mustache. "What's it to you?"

Valtxr

Sharon focused more on the overcoat man with the scarf. Noticed the way some of the people in the inn's bar behaved in his presence. He had a reputation of some sort. And she didn't like it. He could be hiding something.
   "Oh my, what a coincidence," Merissa said to the armored man. "While my friend and I don't quite have the time for drinks and rest, we are here for business."
   Merissa extended a small, lithe hand to him. Glanced at Sharon. And Sharon lifted her hand off her pistol and extended hers as well.
   "Merissa. And this is Sharon. Well, dear, a little bird told me that perhaps you and your friend here were interested in a job that called for clandestine professionals. A bodyguard job. Does this sound familiar to you?"
   Sharon awaited the big man's answer, biting on her bottom lip inside her closed mouth. This was the most uncertain part. Making contact with the sellswords. For all Sharon knew, they might not be sellswords at all, but Reajh authorities instead. They could actually be the sellswords she needed, but with ulterior motives. They could be anyone.
   The future was always decided on small moments like these.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"The name's Volkhard, and silent here is called Otto." The big man said with a smile, however for some reason he lowered his voice when he got to Otto's name. "I see you've noticed him, despite his inability to talk. See he's tongue was cursed by a mage..."

He only kept a straight face for a minute, Otto gave the big man a questionable look, before the big man started snorting. "Only joking lassy. Nah, Otto is not much of a talker but when he warms up ta ya he can have quite the opinion. Ain't that right laddy?"

Volkhard gave Otto a slught punch, which only caused Otto to shake his head as he rocked side ways, before he continued to stare st the wall and sipping out of the mug.

"Back to the point, what were we talking about?" The big man as he turned his head back to the two ladies. "Ah yes, this bodyguarding job, sounds familiar. Though I may need a refresher; I do hope you understand but my memory isn't what it used to be, age is taking a toll on this old body."

Valtxr

"Volkhard. Otto. A pleasure to meet you both," said Merissa.
   Sharon bristled when Volkhard mentioned that Otto was cursed. Terrible. Was there no end to the evils of magic? If only she had been born a Mordecai. But maybe the Grand Duke would finish what he started, purge Connlaoth of all the disgusting mages. The current word on the streets concerning the civil war seemed promising to that end. Maybe after she got Strathus to do what she needed, she could betray him. Turn him in. One less mage in Reajh.
   But then the big man, Volkhard, laughed. No curse after all. A joke. Sharon narrowed her eyes. She didn't find it very funny. Too close to what she needed Strathus to do.
   Merissa laughed politely when Volkhard punched Otto, covering her mouth as she did so.
   "The job truly is that simple, dear," said Merissa. "We need to speak with a man who is a little...unhinged, last I heard of him. Oh, and you mustn't be so hard on yourself, Volkhard, you're still quite the strapping fellow. A fine specimen of a mature man, if I do say so myself." She winked. "But while age has sculpted your body and mine with gentle strokes, this man...oh how should I put this...well, suffice it to say that not everyone can be as fortunate as us."
   "His name is Strathus," Sharon said, prompting a look from Merissa. She ignored Merissa's cautious and warning eyes. Kept on being straightforward with Volkhard. "He's a mage. And he's dangerous. But I need him to do something. For a friend of mine. A friend who didn't deserve what happened to her."
   Sharon took in a serious, steadying breath. Despite her best efforts to appear tough and hardened, a hint of pleading in her eyes. Her brows. "Please, help me make this right."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

Volkhard raised an eyebrow to Sharon. "Hm, it's why we are here, lass."

He grabbed the mug off of the counter and took a chug, before wiping hos mouth and saying. "Still, I don't like going into anything without some recon or information...what exactly do you need and my friend here to do? Protect you from this mage or somthing? Or are you expecting someone else to be there?"

Valtxr

A visible wave of relief on Sharon's expression. She had her doubts that anyone would take up the job. That she and Merissa would have to face Strathus by themselves. Money was no object—Sharon, Charles, Jorge, and Gabe all enjoyed a substantial payout from the Cerenis job. Finding the right people for this was always going to be the hardest part. But Volkhard, and presumably Otto as well, seemed committed.
   "We need you to protect us from Strathus," Sharon said. "Subdue him, if necessary. I can pay him whatever sum of coin he wants for his services, but I just need him in a state where he'll listen to me."
   Merissa glanced back to Volkhard. Her voice a little lower than before. She preferred not to speak of these sorts of matters in such an open environment, but did so anyway. "I wish I could tell you more about Strathus himself, and what kind of company he may or may not be keeping these days, but unfortunately it has been years since I last saw him myself. I think I was Sharon's age, more or less. Strathus was a different man back then...calmer, if I had to put it in a single word."
   Merissa entwined her hands together and leaned onto the bar. Smiled. "I'll confess that I do not know what I should know about Strathus these days. But...I know who does. If you'd like to officially accept this little job of ours, then I'll take you to him, and we can get started."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Might, if I am to do anything a plan may be of order." smiled the old man, before he glanced at Otto. "What you say Otto? You up for another job?"

Otto took a long drink from his mug, before putting it on the counter, empty. He turned around in his seat, he never bothered looking up, his eyes were down as if he was thinking of somthing and his hands were stuck in his pockets.

"Ah, that's the spirit." boomed Volkhard as he finished his mug and slammed it onto the counter. He grabbed his great mace that was resting on the floor.

"Alright lass, when you are ready, lead the way." Volkhard said, heaving the great mace onto his shoulder.

Valtxr

"Splendid!" Merissa said. "Though you might have to keep your feisty friend Otto in check once we arrive. He certainly is a wild one, isn't he?" Merissa brought her hand over her mouth and laughed softly. And she winked playfully at Otto.

Merissa led them to Market Street, a good walk from Reajh's Finest. Just off of the wide street itself, a path far less traveled, a dirt alleyway. It led to a large, three-story building. Nondescript on the outside. No name.
   Merissa pushed open the front door to the brothel. Entered, and Sharon followed.
   The main lounge was suitably dim, relaxing on the eyes. Sweet aromas and perfumes permeated the air. Rugs and sofas and pillows everywhere, all various colors. Distant laughter and soft moans, only just audible enough to heard. A couple of the working girls passed through the lounge from an adjacent room, noticed the four of them, smiled enticingly, and went on their way up the staircase at the far end of the room.
   "Well, I daresay that you won't find it too hard to make yourselves comfortable," Merissa said. "I'll go see if Elliot is present and accepting business calls. Be right back."
   Merissa crossed the length of the lounge and started up the stairs, disappearing into the upper floors of the building.
   Sharon glanced at Volkhard and Otto. Then sat down on one of the sofas. Her knees and feet close together. Still anxious.
   She looked to Volkhard again. He seemed to be the talkative one. "Have you...done something like this before? I mean...fought mages? How do you even go about doing that?"
   Sharon recalled the battle at Deegan's manor in Cerenis. Morgan. The fire mage. Granted, the battle was chaotic, but it was still many versus one. And Morgan still managed to kill several men before he was taken down.
   It baffled Sharon. What chance did a good, normal person stand against the sinister power granted by magic?

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Haven't seen this place in ages." muttered Volkhard to himself as he followed the two ladies. "Seems like things haven't really changed since the last time, but that was ages ago..."

Otto gave him a questionable look but said nothing.

As Merissa left to go grab this "Elliot", at this point he just leaned against a wall with his arms crossed. Volkhard meanwhile took a minute to set his great mace on the floor, before looking around the room with the free hand now rubbing the back of his head.

When Sharon asked the question, it was Otto that answered first.

"You fight them like anybody." Otto never bother to make eye contact, instead he was to focused on the ground. "They die as easily the rest of them..."

"Well, I wouldn't use easily, but I suppose they're no differnt then fighting most things in this world." Volkhard said, as he placed his free hand onto his hip. "I mean compare to the likes of vampires and dire wolves, their nothing really special."

The old man then turned to look at the women. "I don't blame you for thinking of them as scary. I've been in the army for ages, and the only thing they seem to like to fight are magic users...damn shame, it really is, but to tell you the truth, their really aren't any different then you and me."

The old man's eye darted for secound, as if in thought, before refocusing on the women. "Most of them are simply, eh, human....with unique powers."

Valtxr

A knock on his door.
   "Enter," said Elliot Laython.
   He watched the door open from his seat at the table. The daylight of Reajh through the large window behind him.
   One of his bodyguards, Spectre, entered. Stood by the open door. Said, "Merissa Bowen is requesting a meeting, boss."
   "Is that so? Tell her to come in."
   Spectre waited a moment. Added, "She's brought three others with her."
   Laython waved his hand dismissively. "It'll be fine. Go and fetch Ghost and bring them all in."
   Spectre nodded. And closed the door.

Otto seemed intense. Good. At least he wasn't another Jorge. Sharon could barely handle the one she was stuck with.
   There was certainly no lack of confidence between the two of them. Sharon took heart from that, if nothing else. Still, she wondered how well their words would clash with reality. As far as she knew, they appeared to be normal human beings, just like Sharon. How could they possibly compete with the likes of Aven, Morgan, or Strathus? Was there some sort of trick to it that she wasn't aware of? Some universal weakness in magic to exploit? Were they actually Mordecai?
   Or were mages, like the big man said, 'simply human'?
   Sharon offered Volkhard a smile. An attempt at one, at least. "I hope you're right about that."
   Merissa came back down the stairs, flanked on either side by two black-clad, masked, dark-skinned bodyguards. Spectre and Ghost. One male, one female.
   "We've been invited up," Merissa said. "Let's go say hello to dear Elliot, shall we?"
   The bodyguards started back up the stairs. Merissa followed. Sharon stood from the sofa. Gestured her head toward the staircase. Then followed as well.

Spectre and Ghost entered the office first. Took their places beside and behind Laython.
   Laython sat back luxuriously in his chair. Strummed his fingers on the armrest as he watched the rest come into the room.
   Sharon didn't like the look of Laython or his office. Too high-class. Too far from the ground. Too disconnected from the working people and the downtrodden of the city. The temptations from great fortune abounded from slick clothes he wore, to the artwork and busts that adorned his office, to the meticulously groomed hair on his head.
   He reminded Sharon of Earnhardt. Of the rich men and women who looked down with disdain to those beneath them.
   Laython smiled cordially. "Ah, Merissa Bowen at last decides to grace me with her lovely presence once again." He looked to Sharon, Volkhard, and especially Otto with interest. Then back to Merissa. "Perhaps you'll allow your friends here to introduce themselves? You do know how keen I am on meeting new faces."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

Volkhard was the first to follow the group,picking up his great mace and hefted onto his shoulder. followed by Otto.

Upon seeing the man in the lavished seat, Volkhard simply raised his eyebrow. Otto just stared ahead, he didn't say anything but kept his hands in his pocket.

When they were mentioned, Volkhard gave a casual salute with his shield before saying. "The names Volkhard, at your service."

Volkhard gestured to Otto, who at this point was standing next to Volkhard. "Silent here is Otto, not much of a talker, though one hell of a fighter, I can tell you for sure."

Otto gave a slight nod, but kept staring ahead.

"Now, about this job." Volkhard went on. "I was told by my clients here that we are suppose to escort this lot to a... Mr.Strathus? A mage I've been told, and I've been told you know somthing about this?"

Valtxr

"Sharon," she said, falling somewhere between Otto and Volkhard on the talkative scale.
   Laython listened intently to the introductions, however sparse they were. Matched their names with their faces. Made mental notes of the three of them. Perhaps they would be relevant again in the future.
   Then Volkhard mentioned the name Strathus. Laython glanced to Merissa. She smiled.
   And Laython laughed. "Strathus? My dear sweet Merissa, you must certainly be desperate if you need his help."
   "Well, Laython," Merissa said, "did you happen to come across a mage more powerful than him in the intervening years since our last little chat?"
   Laython raised his hands off of the armrests. "Fair enough, fair enough." With a glance to Volkhard and Otto, he said, "You do appear to be taking the proper precautions. And yes, I do know a number of things about Strathus. Information I could impart to you. For the right price, of course."
   "I'll pay you whatever you want," Sharon said from behind Merissa. "We just need to know what we're walking into."
   Laython regarded Sharon with a renewed interest. "Ah. So this is for you."
   Sharon hestitated. Wondered if she had just made a mistake.
   Then Laython said Merissa, "Surely you've told young Sharon here that I've no need for money."
   Merissa smiled. "Well, now I suppose I don't need to."
   Laython chuckled. "You know how this works, Merissa."
   "I'm really not in the mood to be handing out favors, dear."
   "Just a small favor. Clean. At a time convenient for both you and I. A fair price."
   "I'm retired, Elliot."
   "Think of your poor friend Sharon. Do this for her."
   Merissa sighed through her nose. Kept up her smile. "Very well then. A small favor."
   "Good. Good." Laython leaned forward in his seat. Rested his elbows on the table and bridged his fingers together. Gazed at Sharon. "And from you. Information. Simply information. A little this, for a little that. An exchange. That's all."
   Sharon glanced nervously at Merissa, who looked back, saw it, and nodded reassuringly.
   Laython gestured his head toward Volkhard and Otto. "Think of it like this, Sharon: this is for their benefit as much as it is for mine. You wouldn't want these fine professionals, who are risking life and limb on your behalf, to do so without truly knowing why they've been hired, would you?"
   Sharon didn't know this man. But Merissa did, and Sharon trusted Merissa.
   So she swallowed. Said, "Fine."
   "Excellent. Shall we begin?" Laython smirked. His eyes feasting on the all the subtle nervous tics and twitches of Sharon's body. "Why do you need Strathus' help?"
   "So I can free a friend from a curse." Sharon thought of her first question. "Where is Strathus located?"
   Laython's smirk opened up into a grin. He was in his element. "Still in Reajh. Harbored by mage sympathizers in an apothecary shop known as Fallah's Remedies. What do you want from your friend in exchange for removing this curse?"
   "Guidance." Laython looked unsatisfied, so Sharon drew in a breath and added, "And her help establishing something important in Reajh's underground." Her turn. "Is there a code word or something we can say to the keepers of the apothecary shop to gain access to Strathus, and if so, what is it?"
   "Yes. Ask Fallah herself if she knows where you can find a blue mortar and pestle. What are you trying to establish that requires the help of your friend, and why?"
   Sharon grew even more anxious, revealing all this. Still, she said it.
   "Order."
   Laython's eyes narrowed slightly as he considered her answer. The smirk returning to his face.
   "And why?"
   "Because it's necessary. After what I've seen."
   Laython slowly nodded.
   "Are there any traps in this shop where Strathus is being harbored?"
   "Yes. There's enough Ignis Root, Crystal Vane, and gunpowder mixture in the walls of his underground room to blow the entire building into the sky. The tiniest spark down there will ignite the gases of the mixture and end only in disaster."
   Sharon's heart skipped a beat.
   "And what is the name of this friend of yours?"
   Sharon hesitated again. Glanced once again to Volkhard, Otto, and Merissa. Then steeled her resolve and answered him.
   "Jessos Rains."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"So no bombs are pistols, got it." Volkhard muttered to himself as he looked over to Otto. "You got that lad?" He whispered to Otto "Can't use your fancy pistols or bombs."

"Don't need them for this." replied Otto in a quieter tone.

Volkhard chuckled to himself lightly. He knew his friend was plenty dangerous enough without his bombs or pistols.

"What do you think this curse is?" Volkhard whispered again to Otto, who just gave a shrug as the two continued to listen to the conversation.

Valtxr

"Ah. The Butcher herself. I almost feel inclined to pay you to know how you managed that." Laython had a number of top-name guests from Reajh's underworld who frequented his brothel, and Rains was one of them. He even expected her today, likely accompanied with the degenerate black-haired man with the burns on his face again. She was uncharacteristically late, however.
   Regardless, he said, "Your turn."
   Sharon thought hard on how to word her question. She didn't want to share any more information, so this had to be her last one.
   "If Strathus tried to attack us, how will he do it?"
   Laython nodded. "Knowing your enemy. A good question. Strathus favors frost magic, necromancy, and illusions these days. A focus on illusions, I'd say. To escape detection."
   "That'll do, Mr. Laython."
   Laython clicked his tongue against his teeth. "Oh. What a shame. And I was just getting to know you."
   "It was good to see you again, Elliot," Merissa said.
   "And to you the same, Merissa. Please, feel invited to visit on a social call anytime."
   Merissa chuckled, covering her mouth with a hand. "You should be so lucky."
   "One day, perhaps." Then Laython turned his attention to Volkhard and Otto. "Anything else you gentlemen would like to know?"

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"I mean if you are so generous as to offer..." Volkhard said, rubbing his chin a bit sarcastically. "...I'd think I want to know about Mr. Strathus's  birthdate, perhaps even his favorite collar."

He lowered the chin rubbing hand and placed it onto his shoulder. "Everything and anything that could give us an advantage on the man and his men if things decide to go pear shape would be useful. Though if you need anything specific, I suppose I'd really like to know about how many of them are on the premise at any given time as well as where they are stationed.  Not to mention the fact of where this particular individual may be."

"Any back entrances or secret rooms to the building?" Otto decided to add in his question. "Anything this particular illusion mage is allergic to?"

"Right, if you can answer those I think we could be more or less set." smiled Volkhard. "If you don't, that's okay, but I'd think we'd be done here."

Valtxr

Laython smiled back. But there was no warmth in it. "I would be happy to answer your questions. For the same price Sharon had to pay. A little this, for a little that. An answer for an answer."
   To Otto, he asked, "Why do you wear the mask? And why do you work with Volkhard?"
   To Volkhard, he asked, "What happened to your eye? And why are you accepting this job that young Sharon has offered you, aside from the obvious monetary gain?"
   Two questions for each of them. To match the two questions each man had asked of Laython.
   Merissa held her hands in front of herself. Turned at an angle to have Volkhard and Otto to one side of her vision and Laython to the other.
   Sharon eyed the two with a look of worry. She felt exposed—vulnerable—revealing what she had to reveal to get the information they needed from Laython. Somehow it just felt wrong, as if she had made a deal with a malevolent, capricious deity.
   And she didn't know if they would feel the same.
   A pang of guilt. For bringing them here.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"This scarf was a gift." Otto spat out the information, not even blinking an eye. "It just happens to cover my face."

"Well then." grinned Volkhard as he glanced from Otto to Laython. "As for the two of us, we met after our last contract together, which was where we meet. After said job, we decided the two of us grab a celebratory drink. We were in Connolaoth at the time, so I knew most of the bartenders. Got word of someone in need protection, we didn't have much better to do, so we figure why not take up another job."

Volkhard put his shield hands on his hip before he said the next part. "Besides, been a while since I've been back in the country, figure maybe after this, since I was in the city I visit an old friend of mine, if he is still around..." He muttered the last part, more to himself then anything.

"Right, now as for my this old thing." he said as he patted his eyepatch. "Back in my marching days, a mage cursed this wee thing during one of the skirmishes. Suppose it was fair, considering I tried and did kill him, but that must of been years ago."

As his hands went down to his hip again, Volkhard mustache twitched a bit, before the hand went back up to satisfy an itch. "Now then, since we answered your question, I think you owe us answers."