Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Shoes, No Socks... No Problem (Private) [M]

Started by Blink, May 26, 2017, 03:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blink

Barefoot, no socks or shoes to protect her feet as Paisley trudged her way towards the wall surrounding Iron Keep. She already knew Stellan and Roland had been pestering her to wear 'proper' boots, and now she had no choice. The worst part of it all being how she was going to explain what happened to them. Should she be honest? Declare she threw one of them at a boar to protect her precious bow? Stellan would understand, or so she thought, but what about Roland?

Then to top it off her socks, discarded with the stench of skunk permanently soaked into their fabric. "Best to test the waters with Stellan" she thought, knowing eventually she would have to report to Roland about the Templar she had encountered on her failed 'hunting trip'. As she made her way through towards Stellan's tent Paisley ignored the eyes baring down on her. At least she wasn't injured, and despite her lack of footwear didn't look half bad.

This did not stop the whispers and laughs though as she passed, and Paisley found it almost impossible to keep her own opinions to herself. Rather proud for not completely destroying another Legionnaire verbally Paisley pushed back the opening to Stellan's tent, stepping in as she looked around for him.

"Stellan?" Paisley had not really even talked to Stellan since they arrived, only seeing him passing by a few times and giving a friendly wave. It was clear that he was not there, an eerie silence falling after she called his name. Setting her bow and quiver down Paisley walked around the tent, taking in the sights of Stellan's latest projects. He truly was talented, something she clearly saw when he repaired her bow.

Even still Paisley considered what he had done for her the most memorable act of kindness ever displayed towards her. Not only did he fix her bow, but he improved it. Not with beautiful and expensive details, but with the heart of his father's bow. And then to top it all off he personalized it, carving a symbol of her catchy nickname into it along with every arrow she now carried. Paisley knew none of this was necessary as Stellan could have easily saved himself time by handing her the basic bow most of the scouts carried.

"Rothsfeild?" another voice breaking the silence as Paisley turned around. It was Private Bricker, the renowned sleepwalker from her old unit.

"He seems to be out" she laughed, scratching the back of her head as she stood embarrassed with no boots.

Bricker's eyes trailed down Paisley's body before resting on the very thing she was so embarrassed about. "I won't even ask"

"Best not to."

An awkward silence fell between them as they lacked any real connection outside of being tent mates not so long ago. Paisley could never look at him the same way after the night she awoke to him sitting on his matt shoving horse feed down his throat as if it were dinner. In an attempt to break the silence Paisley finally spoke up...

"Anything interesting happen while I was away?" By this time she had begun to make her way towards the stool that always seemed to be in Stellan's tent.

"The Mordecai Grand Master came! It was quite exciting! There was even an attack while she was here. It all ended rather quickly though, long before most of us could come to the Commander's aid. She ended up leaving the next day... don't know what will come of all of it."

Paisley's brow raised at the statement, this truly being a significant detail indeed. "And the Commander? Is he okay?"

"Seems to be" it was clear Bricker was ill informed on the subject, something she herself would probably look into later. As of right now, Roland was alive and that was all she really needed to know.

"I will tell Rothsfield you stopped by." Her words clearly stating that she didn't want Bricker to stick around any longer. Thankfully, he got the hint and left with a nod.

Once again alone Paisley sat on the stool staring at everything inside the tent, already growing quite bored with the loneliness she demanded. "Maybe Bricker should have stayed..."

Lion

Work always seemed to be piling up, no matter what he did. Stellan of course took everything in stride and when things needed to be replaced, people came to him, when they needed repairs, they came to him. When there were supplies and objects that could help replenish their stores, they came to him, and he filled the orders and helped old Cyrus deal with it all.

He didn't have to fight with the infantry anymore. He didn't have to in order to be useful. His hand might be gone, but he was capable enough to do something far more important.  And being here in Vermillion, he worked to help integrate the city into his every day planning. For there were now more people to feed, and people that could help supply in return.

Nothing in life was free after all.

So he'd been out exploring the city with a few other Legionnaires to help bring stock and collect from vendors throughout the merchant district that allowed him to keep track of who did what and where and when and why. He had his clipboard, charcoal and when they made their way back to the keep it was with a wagon full of goods.

So one might imagine his surprise when he found Paisley sitting on that stool and he jumped, dropping his collection of papers and watching them spill all over the tent floor.  "Lieutenant Maika! You scared me. How long have you been waiting here?" he asked, laughing as he worked to pick them up with one hand.  And as he bent down, he saw that she had no shoes.

"What's wrong with your feet?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Blink

Of course, she didn't say anything when he entered the tent, merely sitting there with a dumbfounded expression on her face. However, when Stellan dropped all of his papers Paisley got up as she made an attempt to help collect them.

"Umm..." of course he would notice her lack of shoes, and so she would have to explain everything to him. Stellan deserved the truth, or so she thought and so she began.

"You see I was out hunting for boar. I figured I could bring some meat back to camp as a treat for our recent victory. However, some idiot tripped my nets and we both found ourselves dangling in them from the trees."

Paisley laughed it off as she picked up the last of the papers, tapping the bottom of them on the ground in an effort to straighten them out before handing them back to Stellan. "I dropped everything including my bow and quiver." Her eyes then shot across the tent towards her even more precious bow as it leaned against the edge of the tent. "That stupid boar came back and was about to start gnawing on my bow! So I had no choice... I took off my boot and threw it at it. The stupid thing then took off with it!"

Despite how ridiculous her story sounded it was all true, unfortunately. "Once I was able to get down one thing led to another which then lead up to me being chased by a skunk. Stupid thing sprayed my legs, hence the lack of stockings as well." Motioning to her bare legs Paisley walked back over to the stool, her demeanor changing from laughing about a joke to pure embarrassment.

"So not only did I lose my boots and stockings but I also came back empty handed." Her sentence becoming more muffled as she buried her face in her hands, clearly mortified by her own actions.

With her face still buried Paisley mumbled again "I have things to report to Roland and I cannot go walking in there like this." Finally lifting her head Paisley pleaded with Stellan to help her out. "Please tell me you finished my gear or at least have a set of boots for me."

Lion

It was quite a story and by the end of it, Stellan was staring at her wide-eyed. He then gasped a little and snickered. That much was all to difficult to hold back and he had his papers set up to place on his desk. He shifted around toward the knick-knacks he had on the table, fixing himself a small cup of tea and offering her some.

"Well, I'm sorry you had such a sorry adventure with nothing to show for it, but it just so happens that I have exactly what it is that you're looking for," he murmured, grinning. Stellan dropped a spot of whiskey into the tea - for kick, and offered her some as well.

"Okay wait here. I was going to summon you. But it's actually more convenient you came here, than me having to track you down." And he disappeared into the other partition of the tent. Stellan came out with a sack filled with heavy objects that he'd strewn out onto the desk and opened it up for her to look through.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Blink

Even as he snickered Paisley remained desperate, refusing to give in to her inner self that was agitated by his 'entertainment'. However, his offer of tea with a spike of whiskey quickly pulled her out of it. It seemed he really did understand and most importantly believed her. "I knew he would understand" she thought as she lifted the cup to her lips.

As she waited for Stellan to return Paisley continued to sip on the tea with a kick, happy to have any form of liquor no matter how small.  When he returned Paisley slid off of the stool, setting her half-empty cup in the seat before making her way towards the table.

Staring on in awe she took in the sight of her new gear and deep down was already bursting at the seams to try it all on. "You made all this? Just from measuring me that one time?" Reaching down she picked up a garment and held it out in front of her, a dark grayish shirt she assumed to go under the bits of armor she could see in the pile.

"Seriously Stellan. First, you fixed my bow and now all of this... I can never repay you for all you have done for me." The entire time she avoided eye contact and instead collected everything in her arms. Her mood then quickly shifted as she made her way across the tent "I shall try it all on right now!" she declared as she walked towards Stellan's personal section of the tent. She wouldn't even wait for his permission before closing the flap behind her, tying it shut.

A few minutes passed before Paisley emerged wearing the new gear. Overall it was much better, less adolescent girl and more fitting for her age and status. Paisley was a member of Red Legion and now she finally looked like it. Everything seemed to fit quite nicely, and Paisley even went as far as pulling her hair down, still having bits of it braided back out of her face but the majority now flat on her neck and back.

Even the boots seemed to be a perfect fit and it was comforting knowing they were well enough made to survive whatever trials she would put them through in the future.

"So what do you think?" Paisley turned to show off the uniform in its entirety to Stellan. No longer did she appear the poor commoner with a bow but now reflected the very essence of a Legionnaire.

Lion

Oh he knew his teasing would set her on edge. And it was a personal little triumph he saw flash in her eyes when he snickered at her. She couldn't conceal every reaction, but for now he was content to let glee over come her instead and when she gathered up all that stuff in the sack, he rolled up onto the balls of his feet and gauged her blush.

She couldn't meet his gaze, but he could very well meet hers, or so he hoped.  And the fact that he yet again felt the need to want to repay him for all of this? Repay him for doing his job? Oh he'd never tolerate such nonsense.

So instead he waved her off. "Roland told me to get your gear set up for you, so I did. I hope I got everything right. Took some time to gather up, scrape together, but I hope it fits."  Aaaand then she was gone and making herself at home in his side of the tent. "STRING BEAN! WHAT are you..doing!?"

Fuck.

Then she was ready and he turned around amidst scratching his head. His eyes shot wide and he backed up a little. "Whoa! Look who's ready to kick some ass!" he laughed, but it was from glee rather than from trying to tease her.  He clapped his hand against his forearm. "How does it feel? Y'know having all that gear on?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Turning on the balls of her feet Paisley did her best to get a feel for the uniform. It was different for sure, but loose fitting enough to be comfortable even with the added armor. Without words she moved across the tent and picked up her bow, pulling the bowstring back in a mock stance as she gauged how well it moved with her most natural action.

"It's a bit heavier than I am used to, but just as I have with this bow I will adapt."

Slowly she let the bowstring lax before setting her weapon back down. "Overall I think it is quite nice. Your skill and adaptability is one to be commended Stellan."

Finding herself back at the stool with the cup of spiked tea in hand Paisley took another sip. "I heard that the Mordecai Grand Master came while I was away. Bricker stopped by looking for you and told me about it. However, he seemed very ill informed. Anything you think I should know before I go and give a report to Roland?"

"Did I mention the idiot who tripped my trap and caused the loss of my boots was a Templar?"

Lion

Stellan wasn't going to lie to himself and say he didn't like the sight of her all decked out in that armor. It was rather not as shiny as she might have liked. In fact it being too shiny might have been detrimental to the very fact that she was a scout. Hiding in the bushes, then a brief gleam of sunlight passes over you, and that's it, you're done for.

He put that into consideration when he went about collecting all the pieces and making sure they would fit her just right. It wasn't an overbearing set with a cuirass and padding and mail underneath. She also had half-greaves just over her new boots, and even a convenient slot for a knife to be hidden away inside it.

Stellan was perhaps a little bit more focused on her than what she was talking about. Until he blinked at the mentioning of Roland, the Grand Master Mordecai and Templar.

Oh right, how she lost her boots.

"You didn't mention that. And well, Bricker might be an idiot, but even a broken clock is right twice a day," Stellan murmured, sipping his spiked tea and letting the gentle burn of whiskey course through his veins. "But there's truth to it. The Grandmaster Mordecai was here. She came with a full continent of soldiers. I didn't get to see them, but I know Roland had some negotiation with her in some form or another.  They left just yesterday. Roland's been pretty much isolated as far I know."

Stellan walked around her and he gestured to her legs. "Sorry about your boots, but these ones will last you much longer," he guaranteed. "So tell me about this Templar? Aren't those those fancy members of the Church? Belong to some religious order or something."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

"I heard of an attack, but Bricker assured me Roland seemed well enough. I wonder why he has been isolated." Paisley set the now empty cup down and tapped a finger to her chin as she was clearly deep in thought.

"Clearly he is just lost without his favorite Legionnaire around to keep things interesting." Paisley then winked, fully aware of how conceded she must have sounded. It was a joke, well as far as she was concerned. Even she knew that if anything ever happened to her that life would move on, the world would continue on its path of self-destruction.

At Stellan's movement around her Paisley fell silent, only tilting her head slightly when he apologized for her previous pair of boots. "I think it is safe to say we all knew they would fail me eventually. Except, I think in this case it was I who failed them. I am sure this pair will serve me well, especially if they were made by you."

"As far as the Templar is concerned he was truly something." Crossing one leg over the other in the stool Paisley recalled the day in its entirety. "Most disrespectful man I have ever met. So ungrateful and full of himself..." she trailed off, lost for words on how she truly felt about him. "From what I got out of him he was essentially a footman for the church. He was allegedly attacked by some rebels and was on his way to report it. Couldn't get much more out of him than that."

"You should have seen me Stellan, he had no idea I was Red Legion. I assume he thought me nothing more than just some hunter in the woods and so started blabbing away." Lifting a hand she made a mocking motion of someone who talks too much, touching her fingers to her thumb to simulate rapidly moving mouth.

Lion

Stellan snorted at her hand motion. Because whether she realized it or not, she too was chattering away nonstop. Of course, he wasn't going to be an ass and tell her that she was talking too much. After not seeing her for some time, he wasn't going to just tell her to shut up. He kinda missed the little chatterbox. Who else was he going to call String Bean?

She had a rep to carry on after all.

"Oh, I think I can use my imagination," Stellan laughed. Oh man, how long had it been since he had a casual conversation with someone? The moment the Legion stepped foot into Vermillion, the work was non stop. So even if Paisley was in a hurry, he really didn't want her to leave. Stellan wasn't in any rush to get anything done. If he saved it for a few minutes, the work would still be there.

"You know Paisley, I kinda envy you. Not that you had to deal with some stuffy errand boy for the Church, but that you got to step outside," he murmured. "I've been stuck in this tent and the city proper ever since we got here. It's starting to feel very stifling."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

At Stellan's mention of envy, Paisley grew confused. "Well next time I go hunting I shall take you with me then." Her expression softened at the thought of having someone like Stellan around to keep her smart. He seemed to have a knack for keeping her level-headed in even the most intense situations.

Scooting to the edge of the stool Paisley grew excited even thinking about it. Of course, wherever the Red Legion was she would call home, but part of her would always want to go off on her own from time to time.

However, Paisley did still have a report to make and the longer she waited the worse it could look on her. The last thing she wanted was Roland thinking her priorities were in question. "But for now all I can offer is just to get you out of this tent. Would you like to go with me to report to Roland? Of course, it would be greatly appreciated if you kept my loss of gear between the two of us."

Paisley then realized that other Legionnaires had seen her enter camp in such a state, no doubt at least one of them telling Roland of what had become of 'String Bean'.

"What do ya say? Please don't make me go alone."

Lion

An opportunity to leave his tent was an opportunity to get a breath of fresh air at last. And moments like that couldn't be squandered. So at her invitation, Stellan shrugged, waving his arms around like a flustered bird and he chuckled.  "All right then, let me at least get my coat," he replied. The jacket fell over his shoulders nicely and he shrugged into it.

Once they were off walking away from his tent, Stellan went about tying it off at the base with a firm coil knot and heading toward the Iron Keep. Once there, they were directed toward Roland's office where Darius showed them the way.

As ever Darius kept his nose to the air and he knocked on the ajar door softly. "My Lord," he murmured. "Ahem, Lieutenant Maika and Lieutenant Rothsfield are here to see you."

Roland had been sitting at his desk, warm from the whiskey he'd been drinking since that morning. And although he wouldn't call himself drunk, he was finely buzzed and he rolled his head upward to view at Paisley and Stellan stepping inside.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Clapping her hands together Paisley slid off the stool and made her way out of the tent, looking over her shoulder to assure that Stellan was following. Once inside the Iron Keep Paisley grew ever so impatient as she waited for Darius to announce them to Roland. The formality of it seeming like nothing more than a waste of time to someone like her.

Stepping past him and into the door Paisley was almost taken away with what she saw. "Roland..." she said, stopping herself once her eyes found the mark on his neck. "What in Ansgar's name is that!?"

Taking another step forwards she placed her hands at the edge of his desk, leaning in to get a closer look at the 'wound'. "Were you bitten by something? Did someone try to strangle you!?" Squinting her eyes she tried to make sense of his neck and after a few minutes realized exactly what it was.

Taking a step back now beside Stellan she looked up at her friend, her eyes displaying that she was on the brink of falling to the floor in laughter. That action, being one that would surely sour her commander's mood. So instead, though she did not realize it, she continued to stare at Stellan for a few seconds, his presence reminding her that perhaps it is best to not always say what is first in your mind.

Slowly she turned her attention back to Roland, clearly biting her tongue as she withheld saying anything too out of place. "It seems that more than the Iron Keep was attacked while I was away."

Tilting her head to the side a bit she smirked, clearly proud of herself for not saying more. She was going to remember this moment for the rest of her days and by God, she would make sure Roland remembered it as well.

"Well I came to give you a report but clearly it seems you have plenty on your ne- I mean plate as it is."

Lion

Oh was Paisley ever the most scrutinizing inspector of detail. Upon first glance Stellan would have noticed the open flask in front of Roland and the fact that he glared at the pair of them with tired, lazy eyes.  Or rather they were quickly turning moody at Paisley's closed up inspection. Roland didn't move, however, although he could have boxed her ears and been right for it.

Roland instead pulled his boots off his desk and stood up, pocketing the flask.  "All right, what is your report, Maika?" he murmured, trying to keep his temper in check.

"Speak before I lose my patience," he said and sighed, rubbing at the sore still present on his neck.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Her eyes locked on the flask as it fell into his pocket. Again Paisley found herself piecing together the information before her and from what she had gathered... something was up. Roland did not seem himself, he was tired but it wasn't just physical exertion. Something was weighing heavily on his mind.

"While I was hunting I ran into a Templar" She did not hesitate to get to the point, now feeling completely awful for prodding at him like she had. Another classic moment where Paisley spoke before thinking, even if she had thought she was filtering her words at first.

"I pointed him in the opposite direction and sent him on his way. He was searching for a church to give report. He said he was attacked by rebels and based on how he looked I believed it."

"I just thought you should know" The certainty in her voice all but gone.

Lion

No, Roland most likely wasn't himself, but it definitely was not Paisley's place to say so the fact that she cut right to the chase certainly made Roland feel considerably better. And kept her from getting scowled at. Once he had a second to clear his head, Roland turned to her and leaned against the desk, half-sitting on it.

"A Templar? One of those Church errand boys from the Order of St. Agratha?" he murmured, tilting his head. He hadn't meant for his tone to seem mocking because it wasn't, but it was however certainly curious. There wasn't any point in repeating what she said back to her, although he'd done just that. So instead Roland chuckled and saluted his hand across her chest.

"So you were hmm, funneling information out of this Templar then? It's a good thing you were away. Assassins came and assaulted the Keep, and I'm glad to see that you're in one piece, Maika. Truly."  Those words at least were sober enough to be genuine.

"Anything you need to report? Did the Templar manage to find the church he was looking for? His kind don't usually just drop in on any chapel. They all tend to belong to the same order."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

While smiling Paisley nodded, reassuring Roland that he was indeed correct. While Paisley may have been heavily underestimated most of the time she knew how to use this to her advantage. Kentamin suspected nothing of her, nothing more than a woman off hunting in the woods. She was sure that if he had known the truth their conversations would have been much different. But since he did not, he opened up to her and told her everything she needed to know.

"I have no idea if he found the church. As I said we parted ways, but I just thought you should know he was passing through our territory."

Now that she had gotten all of that out of the way Paisley then began prodding about the information Roland himself had just given her. Both Bricker and Stellan had confirmed that Iron Keep was attacked while she was away and now Roland could be added to that count. Everyone says she was lucky to be gone, while Paisley only scowled at the thought of missing such an opportunity.

"Yes, I was told. I was also told the Mordecai Grand Master was here. Anything come of it? Should we prepare for retaliation for taking Falkenrath?"

It was only then that Paisley looked back at Stellan whom was standing oh so quietly in the back. If a battle was looming she knew his already heavy workload would most likely become unbearable. Poor Stellan....

Lion

"We'll keep an eye out for him then. Or any others of his kind. Those Templars are a little bit too cautious for their own good. And I'd like to keep track of any guests within our borders if at all possible," he said, bowing his head to Paisley.

Roland took another sip of his flask, mulling over her question.  Stellan meanwhile kept where he was, hand and wrist secured behind his back.  When he met Paisley's gaze he bowed his head and mouthed to her that he would be waiting back in his tent.  Truly there'd be no place for him here, not when it came to a conversation like this.

And gently closed the door behind him.

Roland watched the Quartermaster's assistant go and he straightened.  "Something may come, and that is what we must prepare for. I was able to...soothe her wrath before she left, but heaven will only know just how long that will last. She will make her report to Calent, tell him that he lost a faithful ally. But trust me, Maika, Falkenrath is in much better hands."

He scratched at the mark on his neck, trying to pulling the collar of his shirt over it.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

In regards to Stellan Paisley nodded before turning her attention back towards Roland. So it was true that in the future things could get a little tense. Hopefully though for all their sakes, it waits until all of them recovered. Not just the Red Legion, but the people they were working so hard towards helping.

"I am sure when that day does come we will be ready."

"I do have a minor request Roland... well two." Paisley looked back over her shoulder at the closed door.

"It seems that Rothsfield and the Quartermaster have a lot on their plate. Since I am merely a scout I have nothing more to do with my time. Do you think it plausible I lend a helping hand in their direction? Perhaps go out more on supply runs so that they have more equipment to work with?"

"My second request being that I take Rothsfield out and away from Iron Keep before he loses his mind. You did see him right? I don't think he has taken a moment to relax since we arrived."

Paisley even managed to give a cheesy smile at her request, a horrible example of Paisley trying to suck up. There was a purpose behind her requests though. In truth other than the information about Kentamin Paisley had been feeling quite useless lately. Everyone was so busy making Falkenrath better while she was doing nothing more but failing at hunting. The reasoning behind asking to help the Quartermaster obvious. However, her reasoning for taking Stellan away probably the most important. What good was someone as good as him if they were burnt out?

"Please?"

Lion

"You're asking for furlough?" Roland countered, tilting his head and feeling more than a little piqued. Because she was still new after all, and she was asking for leave? Time to do what exactly?

"Hmm, I suppose you do have a point. Stellan is an invaluable member of the Keep," he chuckled. "Who will take up the extra work that will be piling up? Hmm, I guess I'll just have to find someone else. Because...as much as I hate to admit it. You're right. Rothsfield has been working hard, maybe a little bit too much."

Roland was about to take another sip of the flask before he growled and grumbled something before pocketing it. "Very well. You may take a week of leave. And no more!  Keep him safe. And vice versa. I'm not losing all I've invested in either of you. You are dismissed, Maika."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Tags: