Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

No Better Men (M)

Started by Valtxr, May 26, 2017, 04:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valtxr

Eyes drifted upwards.
   One of the riflemen took a half-step back and muttered a curse under his breath. Surprised and shocked murmurs from the others.
   Spectre and Ghost both snapped their hands to the pistols holstered on their belts.
   Even Elan, now without the firebrand ale smoothing out her impression of the beast, gasped. The ominous glow of the lanterns holding the darkness at bay only made Concord's appearance more frightening.
   Laython stood his ground. Lifted his right hand in a similar manner to before, and the men calmed down, and Spectre and Ghost dropped their hands from their weapons.
   He simply handed the paper back.
   "And there you are, Mr. Blight. My end of the bargain."

Wrathwyrm

He loved it when people reacted that way to his faithful steed.  It never got old.  So now, the paper was in Gary's hands, which he looked over and tied with a string so that he may easily slide it into the pouch it came from.  He then glanced to the giant spider and simply said "Drop.".  Concord's mandibles released and - presumably - one of the men caught it.  Of course, naturally, they would find the spiked device and the controlling runestone that goes with it, no harm done to it.  Gary had no interest in this man's politics, not unless he decided to make a move against goblinkind or something.  Having now met Gary Blight, it would be rash to undertake such a venture.

"Miss Buckley will be along to collect her belongings soon enough.  I owe her some money for services rendered, discussing matters of not name-dropping for favors, and such like that there.  I'm sure you understand."

Valtxr

The nearest man, the one who had taken the step back and swore, held out his hands and caught the pouch. Opened it and took a look inside. Briskly walked up to Laython and presented the Dampener and the Control Rune from inside the open pouch. Laython inspected them. Nodded. And Spectre took the pouch from the man.
   Then, back to Mr. Blight. "Of course. The men will have already been briefed by the time she shows." He thought again of his earlier ponderings. Smiled. "Take as much time as you need."
   Laython turned around. Spun his index finger around in a small circle. Said to the men, "We're done here."
   The men all grabbed their rifles and loaded up into the wagon, some more in a hurry than others with the sight of Concord lurking above. Laython entered the carriage, followed by Spectre and then Ghost, who shut the door.
   The drivers of the vehicles flicked the reins, and the horses started off a brisk trot down the road.
   Inside the carriage, Laython took hold of the pouch from Spectre. Took out the Dampener. Held it between his index finger and thumb. The tiny thing.
   Finally.
   The shackle that he needed to control his bastard daughter.

Elan watched the carriage and the wagon roll down the road. The orange light from the lanterns leaking away with them. The darkness swallowing her body as the vehicles left.
   She suddenly felt short of breath. Elated. Dizzy. Overjoyed and nauseated. The weight of the world lifted from her shoulders at the same time her stomach seemed to flop about in her body.
   And she let out a huge sigh of relief. Stumbled back some as she burst into laughter.
   "I...I can't believe it! I'm...free! I never even thought this would happen. I hoped and hoped and hoped it would and—"
   She bumped into a small rock on the road and staggered and fell down to her hands and knees. Still laughing. Still smiling ear-to-ear in the darkness.
   Elan pushed herself back up to her feet. Looked toward Gary's glowing eyes. "I can't thank you enough. I don't even know how I would. This is just...it's almost too much."
   Elan wiped her eyes.
   A defining day.

Wrathwyrm

The carriages of Elliot Laython rode away, back to whatever place he called home.  Soon, the light of their lanterns was gone, leaving them in darkness.  For Gary Blight, this was not a barrier.  For Elan Buckley, it made her trip on a stone on the road.  It happens.  She could not believe her luck?  Yes, the circumstances had made quite the turn-around.  All it took, really, was a keen mind.  At least, she would be able to do something with her life.  As for what she could possibly do...Gary inclined his head up to the spider.

"Concord, would you come down, please?"

"Hurgrr."

As the big spider did so, Gary resumed speaking to Elan, unaffected by the landing of the creature some feet away.

"There are a few things that should be done, not so much as payment as using one's good common sense."

He headed on over to the spider, climbing on top to dig through a sack that was on its back.

"For instance, I wasn't kidding about the name-dropping.  Don't do it.  They'll never believe that you know me and those that do might somehow think of you as leverage against me, which wouldn't be very fair to you."

He pulled out a lantern now and lit it, giving them some illumination once more.

"Also, unless I very much miss my guess, you have no savings to help you until you find work.  So, while I am loathe to part with coin that I could put in the hands of my brethren, it'd be best that I do pay a messenger fee for services rendered."

Finding his inkwell and writing stick, he jumped down and handed them to Elan, where he would then bring out the paper he had gotten Laython to sign just moments ago.  He indicated a blank area below the man's signature.

"If you could write 'I swear by all the gods that the above is true, signed Elan Buckley', that would add some credibility to the statement.  True, they might not believe me alone - perhaps - but a witness to the affair is harder to push away."

She could use part of Concord to write on.  Concord wouldn't mind.

Valtxr

"No name-dropping. Got it."
   Elan's eyes narrowed as the lantern was lit and they to adjust to the light again.
   And Gary was mostly right about the lack of coin. It was really just within the last year that Alan and Elan were given jobs in which they were allowed to pilfer whatever they liked from the target person or area. Seemed like a good deal at first. But, like a lot of other slave masters whose slaves had a form of income, Laython then started requiring them to make their own basic purchases: food, clothing, ammunition, so on. Alan had a small stash back in the slave quarters, but it wouldn't last long. That much was for sure.
   Still, Gary's continued kindness left Elan at another loss for words. She could only smile and breathe.
   But the quiet didn't last. A request.
   "O-Oh. Okay." Elan took the writing stick and the paper from Gary, glanced around for something to brace the paper against. Her eyes kept crossing over the giant spider before they settled. Elan, a bit skittishly at first, pressed the paper against...some part of Concord's body, she couldn't be sure. And she wrote the message right below Laython's signature.
   But her hand stopped halfway to giving the paper back to Gary. A thought visibly flashed behind her eyes, and she looked to be wrestling with a "Should I or should I not?" sort of predicament in her mind.
   Then she finished extending her arm. Said, "I...well, I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything like that. Believe me, you've changed my entire life. Given it back to me, really; I was going to be a dead woman in a week. But..." A huff of air has she struggled to put her thoughts into the right words, "...I just have to ask, if you'd be willing to tell. Why? Why do this for me? The tales, the songs, they all...honestly, from what I've seen from you today, they make you out to be an entirely different person. You had what you wanted from Laython's convoy, but you gave it up...for my sake. Not to sound weird, but...a human."
   She chuckled in an embarrassed way and clamped the fingers of her left hand to her nose. "Gosh, this is really coming apart, isn't it? I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry. Forget I asked."

Wrathwyrm

She was just about to hand over the paper...when she stopped.  She had understandable confusion, questions...  Yes, he had anticipated this.  At some point, he knew that - somehow - someone would have to hear the damnedable thing that he had lived with his entire life, the very essence of the thing that drove him to his deeds with surch fervor, nay obsession.  He hadn't told anybody, save for Concord, who would not see it in the same light as he did.  No, for it to be truly appreciated, the mindset must be that of one of the humanoid races, with humanoid reasoning.  So...to interrupt Elan's concerns for his privacy, he held up a hand.

"No need to apologize.  I had made up my mind that this was how it was going to unfold back in the tavern."

He turned, giving the spider a pat on the leg to indicate she no longer needed to remain still.  This was going to take a bit, so no need to bother her over it.  He turned back to Elan now, a bit more somber in demeanor.

"Do you remember when I told you the true tale of my becoming such a dedicated thief and rogue?  I spoke of the exterminations, and then I mentioned the survivors?  Well, the thing of it is that in these attacks on goblinkind, there sometimes is an argument: 'What about the children?  They will grow up to be a new goblin menace, will they not?'.  Some say yes, and kill them.  Others say no, and leave them, never realizing the horrible mistake that they've made."

He then made a gesture with his hands, indicating something of small size, smaller than him.

"Goblings are small creatures.  My people are already small, imagine the difficulty for one to fend for oneself in a ransacked and dead goblin colony.  It can't be done.  They will inevitably starve to death.  Except..."

His hands lowered, as did his eyes to the ground.

"Except if one preys upon what is left.  We were barely aware of ourselves, just creatures of need, to be nurtured by parents who had been killed trying to defend our home.  I was only just able to understand that they weren't coming back, and I became so hungry...  I needed food, or I would simply die.  I was the strongest, and that wasn't saying much, but I was the one who fought the hardest to live.  I was forced to eat my siblings to survive and, once nourished, fed off of anything else I happened to find...at least until I understood what I'd been doing."

He looked up at her, and suddenly it was all over his face: The tortured look of having lived through that which was too much to accept, an act too terrible to face alone...yet it must.  Elan would know that look, because she had shown it to him, hours ago.

"These eyes of mine are a mark of the Blight, a corruption which - in this case - stemmed from having done what I did.  I never even knew their names...  The only thing that grants me any comfort is my work, that I fight with every breath to prevent this sort of thing from happening as it does.  It's true that I've done it largely for my own kind.  Who wouldn't?  Or rather, who would stand up for my kind but one of their own?"

He sighed, and then put back on his mask.

"That doesn't entirely explain you, of course, but I think you can guess by now.  Nobody should be forced to do things to one's own family, or watch them die while powerless to do anything.  I will admit that it's a coincidence that I stole from your convoy, or that I made little attempt to kill anybody there.  I do kill people in my line of work.  It was from what I learned in the tavern that bade me to act this way.  I'm sure that I have brought suffering to families, one way or another, but I do not operate the same way as Laython.  I am not senselessly cruel, nor a tormenting sadist.  I make off like a thief in the night, and I use the tools at my disposal."

Concord had been walking around, but now came up behind Gary and seemed to nuzzle him.

"When it comes to familial disaster, I forgot about species for a while, and just go with the flow."

Valtxr

Elan didn't expect what was coming.
   She had assumed that the reason for Gary's actions would be more fanciful, despite the story he told her back at the tavern. That he was a champion not just for goblinkind, but—little known among those who had heard the songs and tales—also for the downtrodden of all stripes. A sort of noble thief archetype, taking from the rich to help out the poor, like a few other dashing characters—both fictional and real, sung and unsung.
   She thought of something like this. That this, or something very much akin to it, was his sole motivation. That, with a twirl of his mask and a wide grin, he would go riding off into the night, another daring adventure completed; just like in some of his own tales and the others of a similar vein that Elan had imagined.
   It soon became clear that his reputation had preceded him. And as he talked, the myth dissolved away, leaving only a tragically real person.
   Except if one preys upon what is left.
   Elan raised both of her hands to her mouth. The glow of the lantern bringing light to the mounting horror in her eyes.
   Like a mirror that transcended race, gender—everything—when he looked at her. She could see a piece of herself in him. A solemn bond. They each carried the weight of surviving.
   When he finished, Elan's hands slowly slid away from her mouth. She looked and felt as devastated to hear the truth as Gary surely did to tell it.
   "I'm sorry..."
   Elan closed her eyes for a moment and swallowed.
   Opened her mouth again.
   Tried to say something else. To ease the pain. For him. For her.
   Tried.
   And failed.

Wrathwyrm

Behind every legend, there is a real person that started it all.  The only question is whether he is pumped up by gossip and rumor to make him appear larger than he is...or if his reality is too large to bear in the public eye.  Gary Blight was clearly the latter, not a lie by any great measure...but a truth deeper than any of the stories surrounding him.  And of all the tales, no one would have ever believed that he had had to resort to such an act as canniballism.  Of course, some might say that other goblins had, and maybe that was true, but they were all insane and true monsters, by every definition of the word.

Gary saw the horror, and yet understanding, on Elan's face.  Yes, that was enough.  The words of a non-goblin's honest sympathy, of a human appreciating that he was not simply this horrid little thing to be sneered at, was a payment that Gary would prize more than money.  What he stole from the world was for his brethren kind, not so much for his own needs.

"You need not say more.  Truly, I have enjoyed the life that I lead now, that I am able to do all I can for my own kind.  What's important is that I have never lost perspective, that I do not believe too much into my own hype.  That is what makes a true hero, in my eyes.  And even if I am hated, those I care for the most will never forsake me, and that is what matters the most."

He then held out his hand.

"Now...please, the paper.  I wish to secure it, maybe even copy it, as a means to curb Laython's behavior, in case he crosses another terrible line.  Please hand it over."

Valtxr

A small comfort—in light of Elan's today, of Gary's yesterday—that nothing more needed to be said. The look they had shared and the burdens they carried were more than enough. Now, it was about tomorrow. How they would each carry on in their own way.
   "Of course." Elan handed the signed paper back to Gary. A short pause, and she said, "I suppose there's just looking ahead now. Moving on." An awkward chuckle. "It's funny. Now that I'm a free woman I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with myself. Getting settled into a day-to-day routine as a slave is—was—frighteningly easy."
   Hands on her hips, she looked up at the cloudy, starless sky. The infinite black. "I suppose there's something out there for me. You found your calling, that much is for sure." Back down to Gary. And she smiled at him, doing her best to lighten the mood. "Connlaoth certainly is the right place for me, I think. I'll find something to tinker around with. Custom firearms, maybe." A laugh. "I bloody well can't shoot the damn things straight, but I can sure build 'em and take 'em apart alright."
   Elan took in a breath. "If you're ever around Reajh again, don't hesitate to call on me. For anything. Others may hate you for what you do or who you are, but you'll always be a friend to me, Gary."

Wrathwyrm

Taking the paper, Gary once more rolled it up and put it away.  He didn't worry about what Elan did with her life after this.  Indeed, as she said, she could tinker.  Though Gary didn't exactly like Connlaoth - for reasons that were certainly explained - but if Elan felt that she could get a job working on things, perhaps firearms, then that was up to her.  Actually, the idea had a certain appeal, since he was thinking of incorporating some into his repertoire.  Her offer was a certainly a possibility he could look into.  At the moment, he backflipped up onto Concord.

"Well, I'll certainly give it due consideration.  Take care of yourself, Elan."

He turned Concord and was preparing the spider to leap off into the woods, when he paused.

"Oh, and umm...don't go into that area of the woods for a few days.  I had set up a number of traps to prevent a double-cross or even encounter a passerby.  They'll evetually break down.  Well...all except the pit traps.  Goodbye, and good luck."

Concord took a leap, and several more, from tree to tree until the sounds of spider-leaping could no longer be heard.  Where he would end up, nobody knows.  Now umm...oh.  Well, he's left his lantern here.  Well, chances are, he didn't even need one, but she might.  ...there were a few coins resting against the thing.  Services rendered.

Valtxr

"Take care, Gary."
   A parting gift—two, actually—in the form of the lantern and the handful of coins. Elan crouched down and pocketed the coins and took the lantern and stood. The coin could get a room for the night. Another drink, perhaps.
   Yeah, that sounded lovely. Another drink. For Gary. For Alan.
   And Elan turned and started down the road toward Reajh.
   The lantern keeping the dark of night at bay.