Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

So You Can Fly Right? (Marakai)(P)(M)

Started by Blink, June 24, 2017, 02:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blink

Normally if someone spoke to Kaida like that she would explode, however, she had other motives for asking that particular set of questions. Her head tilted a bit though when he referred to Jaela as a bird. "Funny"

"So I take it she dropped the act then?" In truth, Kaida knew that Jaela only acted crazy, although Jaela had no idea she had picked up on it. "I will admit I bought it for a few years, but after a while, I think anyone can see through it."

"However judging from what I saw outside I am tempted to rethink my conclusion." Pushing the chair out Kaida then stood up and began slowly walking towards Itachi. "I happened to take a stroll out on the front landing this morning and smelled something quite interesting."

Stopping about halfway down the table Kaida slammed her palm onto its surface as a loud slap echoed off the walls. "I am a dragon with an exceptionally great sense of smell. How badly did she get hurt because of you?" Dragging her hand off of the table it then met her other as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Jaela doesn't make mistakes..."

Marakai Trin

Itachi narrowed his eyes at her, his face turned into a scowl at the mentioning of Jaela's coming to harm. A brief flicker of remorse flickered behind that hard jade gaze, only just there.

"....yeah, she go' 'urt. An' it wasn' her mistake. Was mine." He crossed his arms over his chest, sitting back.

"I distracted 'er when I tried ta 'elp 'er. 'Ad some dangerous visitors show up, lookin' fer you. Was jus' her an' me onna wall when they showed up."

He was quiet for a moment, his gaze flicking to the side.

"....Won' lie to ya. It wasn't good. Stabbed, right 'ere." He pressed his hand to his lower abdomen, to show her where the wound was located. "Woulda died, maybe, but I patched 'er up real good. Imma....bit o' a doctor, too. Jack o' all trades, yeah?"

He looked back to her. "She'll live, wit' no problems. Jus' be offa 'er feet fer awhile. If'n it's 'er work yer worried 'bout, don'. I'll do it. Was me fault, anyway."

Blink

She smirked, amused at his offer of doing Jaela's work. "Like you could." Shaking her head she then twirled on the ball of her foot as she began walking back towards her chair. With her back turned to Itachi Kaida's know it all smile faded into worry. She was no doctor but Kaida had seen large men perish from a wound like Itachi described. In fact, she was pretty sure they almost always died.

Turning back around Kaida was now clearly interested. "So you're a doctor? How many people have you saved? Or better question... how many of your patients have died?" Suddenly that feeling was rising in her stomach... that feeling of just knowing there was more than meets the eyes.

Marakai Trin

"Again, yer only takin' me a' face value, Kaida. Tha's a mistake." A fairly confident smirk appeared on his lips. For a moment he was quiet.

"I think yer gonna fin' ou' Imma lo' more capable than ya think. I've been playin' me games fer years now. Kinda 'ard ta survive in me line o' work as long as I 'ave wit'out....certain skills."

He smiled again when she asked about his patient fatalities. He'd hit her with a curveball. If she were to be his employer, so to speak, she might as well know what games he was playing.

He dropped the accent.

"I've documented every single case I've ever had. Four-hundred sixty-two cases. Some life threatening, some not. Out of those cases....I have zero fatalities. Last night makes four-hundred sixty-three. Jaela is actually the last two...the night I met her, she wandered into my camp with a scorpion sting that should have honestly taken her leg off - necrosis had already set in. I saved her from that, too."

He snorted, and grinned. "No mistakes. Yeah. She's only human, you know. Not all of us have your kind of luck. Being a Dragon and all. That would have been nice to know before hand."

Blink

The moment Itachi dropped his accent Kaida's smile widened. "I knew it" It was no wonder why Jaela had grown so fond of him, they were both playing the same hand on unsuspecting culprits.

"Luck is something I do not have Itachi... however..." Her eyes trailed him up and down "I suddenly find you much more interesting than I did 5 minutes ago." Shrugging it off Kaida then finally began making her way back towards her chair, sitting in it and picking up her cup of tea to take a sip.

"I have a feeling Jaela is going to be just fine with you." And there you have it, Kaida admitting that maybe Itachi wasn't as bad for her friend as she initially thought. "By the way... Why do you call her bird?"

Again Kaida was edging at something more with her questions.

Marakai Trin

Itachi had a smug smile. Interesting, huh? That was an edge, one that he had employed for years. Keep surprising them - that was the ticket.

"I think you'll be more than interested in what I can do, come enough time. Though, I've never done what I do for someone else, exactly. Not on a...payroll, anyway."

He wondered idly if she knew about the impromptu heist he and Jaela had pulled the night before she'd sent one of her weird clones to show up in his camp. Maybe he'd keep that card up his sleeve for the moment.

When she asked about the 'bird' thing, his lips twisted into a small smirk. "Bird...you've seriously not heard that term before? That's what I call the ladies. The pretty ones, mind you, but I'm not too picky. To be honest, the only reason you didn't get that, too, was because I was trying to kill you. And now, you're my boss, and it seems rather inappropriate, no?"

He frowned a bit, and looked down at the table. "Doesn't really mean anything, though. Jaela's the only 'bird' for me, so don't get your unders in a bunch if it slips. I don't mean anything by it."

Blink

Despite his attempt at embarrassing her with his comment, Kaida's face remained amused. "Oh, so I take it that she didn't tell you then?" Again Kaida pulled the tea cup to her lips as she took a small sip.

"Ever hear her sing that song? Oh, how did it go?" She paused trying to remember the words. "Something like the pretty bird flies away... uh... forever something you will stay." Setting the cup back down she continued.

"She used to sing it all the time in the dungeon and at first I thought it was the most annoying thing ever." At this part, Kaida felt a pang of guilt. She truly did regret how they used to get someone to manifest their abilities and wished it had never come to be that way. No matter though, she had put a stop to it the minute Emelia was gone.

"Turns out Jaela's father used to call her Bird. She told me once... back when I was 'dealing' with her. That song is actually a lullaby he sang to her. I'm surprised she still remembers it."

Marakai Trin

As Kaida spoke, Itachi's face gradually became more and more red. It had been enough that Jaela had spent time in a dungeon to begin with. He'd even let it go, knowing that she was the way she was because of it. It had made her stronger. She was better for it.

But this...that song. He'd heard echoes of it, still under the effects of whatever they'd drugged him with when they were in the Adela dungeons. She sang it there, in the dungeon. And she sang it here, too.

And it was from her father. That struck a major nerve in him. Jaela had said before, she'd, 'never known' her parents.

He knew different, now. She knew them, once upon a time. Those memories had just been tortured out of her.

"Her father....." he muttered, more to himself than as a part of the conversation.

He shot up, standing so fast the chair flew backward. He found his hand had flown to one of the combat knives on his belt.

He couldn't believe this woman. To put someone under duress, to unlock their potential. That was one thing....to torture someone so hard as to destroy memory? That was something else.

When he spoke, his voice sounded feral, forced between grit teeth.

"Her fucking father. Do you realize she doesn't even remember her parents? Because of what you did to her?"

He looked up at her, his jade eyes absolutely on fire.

"And where's her father now, Kaida? Hmm? You'd better fucking hope he's dead, and you so graciously saved her from starving to death. Because if I find out otherwise?"

He ripped the combat knife from it's sheath, and slammed it into the table, the blade buried all the way into the wood.

"The other one of these will go into your fucking head, this Godsdamn job be thrown to the fucking abyss. You wanna talk about torture? You're talking to the wrong fucking person. You wanna talk about parents? Same fucking deal."

He grabbed the tray of food in front of him, spilling some of it onto the ruined table, and began walking away.

"Conversation over."

Blink

His reaction was something she was growing used to. Again Kaida didn't even acknowledge his outburst but instead took another sip of tea. Shakily she placed the cup back on the table despite the fact that Itachi had just thrown the tray of food AND stabbed it with a knife. "Some people just don't appreciate mahogany like they used to."

As he walked away she finally spoke up, her small voice reverberating off of the walls of the room. "I don't know where her parents are because I am not the one who took her. It was my job to make them suitable for duty, but I am not the one who picked them... not at first anyway."

"I can only assume that since my sister held some part in it that they are most likely dead. Otherwise, I would have found them for her months ago." While Kaida spoke the fire within her was ignited. Too many times now she had been yelled at for trying to make things right and today was apparently no exception. Pushing herself away from the table again she picked up her teacup and threw it at the wall ahead of Itachi, upset with herself that she had just ruined such fine dinnerware.

"I am trying so hard here to not be the monster everyone thinks I am! People change but for some reason when I try the ghosts of my past still come to haunt me. Jaela is the only one who did not turn their back on me when everything went to shit! Do you see servants or guards hanging around here anymore?! NO! Because as soon as my sister was gone they all tucked tail and ran!"

Standing there her shoulders rose and fell as she drew in deep breaths. Itachi had struck a nerve just as she had done in him.

Marakai Trin

It took literally everything he had not to turn around and fling the tray straight at her. His eyes closed as the tiny bits of China rained down upon him and the tray of food he carried.

He sighed, standing their and meticulously began to pick the bits of porcelain out of the food.  It was a long time before he responded to her, his voice level and completely masking his anger.

"You know, I've had the same crew of men around me for years. Yeah, sometimes they leave. Sometimes they get fed up with my shit and turn tail in the middle of the night. But they always come back, because they know what they're fighting for."

Slowly, he turned around, and dropped the last bit of her teacup on the ground.

"I'm an asshole. I won't deny it. But these men I have here with me, not the ones I sent home, are some of the most loyal sons of bitches you could find. They're with me, because they know the alternative....Kaida, people like you are the alternative. There's a reason they ran. You just saw it too late."

He turned around again, and started walking out of the dining hall. Still, he spoke.

"I've the feeling that Jaela is only still here because that's all she knows. And she has you to thank for that. You piss me off? I'll be gone. And don't be surprised when she follows me. Because I can offer her more than a life based on your whims."

And then he was gone, his footsteps echoing down the hall.

Blink

His words hurt, causing that feeling in her chest to emerge that she had felt only a few nights before. Again Kaida tried to explain that she was trying, yet to most, she was still a monster. Even now she didn't feel quite so at home in her own Citadel and so she left, wiping her eyes as she stormed out of the dining hall in the opposite direction of Itachi. The moment she was out the front doors and on the landing she began to transform, wings sprouting from her back as she lifted herself into the sky.

Upstairs Jaela was till fast asleep until she suddenly shot up from the bed. Frantically she looked around as she thought she had just heard Kaida's voice. After the initial confusion, her eyes then searched for Itachi who was nowhere to be found.

Swinging her feet around she let them slide off the bed as she planted them firmly on the floor. She had promised Itachi she would stay put last night, but today was a new day.

Marakai Trin

Itachi only stopped one time, hearing the booming of the front doors as someone departed - likely Kaida. He listened closely for several seconds, and sighed when he'd heard wingbeats, signalling her exit.

Fuck, but he'd certainly done it now, hadn't he? First day here, and he'd already pissed off the boss.

Well, at least now she knew what she was dealing with. And so did he. Perhaps their next meeting could be more....cordial, now that they'd gotten their problems with each other in the air. Maybe.

He sighed, and continued on his way, hoping that the day could only get better. It had started out shitty enough as it is.

A few minutes later, he found himself before Jaela's door again, and sighed. He wondered what he was going to tell her...

He edged the door open, and poked his head inside to see she was already up. He smiled widely and stepped inside fully.

"Good morning, beautiful. You're looking well. Sleep good?" He grinned and sat down on the bed next to her.

"Managed to get us some breakfast. You wouldn't believe what I had to go through for it, though...."

Blink

The moment the door creaked open Jaela smiled, Itachi's face wiping away any kind of worry she harbored.

"Good morning to you too " she smiled.

Looking down at the food her stomach growled, all of it looking quite delicious.

"Oh? And what sort of battle ensued while obtaining our breakfast?"

Marakai Trin

Itachi sighed, and set the tray on the bed between them, allowing her to have her pick first.

"Well...Kaida was here. Sort of ambushed me in the dining hall." He laid backward, and threw an arm over his eyes.

"We...got into one hell of an argument. Seems like we both just pushed exactly the wrong buttons for each other. But to be fair...."

He moved his arm, and peeked at her with a crooked sort of grin.

"She started it. I...hope it did some good, though. Clear the air and whatnot...."

Blink

As he laid back Jaela reached for a piece of honey bread off of the tray and immediately ripped a piece off to plop in her mouth. As it slid down her throat and then settled in her stomach Jaela immediately felt better than before. Just as she was about to place yet another piece in her mouth Itachi stated that Kaida had come and even worse... that they had gotten into an argument.

She fiddled with the bit of bread in her hand as he went over how they pushed each other's buttons before she finally chimed in.

"Kaida starting an argument is hardly news..." Placing the bread in her mouth Jaela chewed on it along with how to approach the topic. "... but I assume since you said she was here that you really did push her buttons."

"Whether or not it did any good though I don't know. She's been pretty down on herself ever since her sister died... or at least we think she died." Plopping yet another bit of bread in her mouth Jaela laid back next to Itachi, still chewing on the bread as she turned her head to face him. "Sad I missed her, was going to ask how her latest little project was moving along."

Marakai Trin

Itachi sighed again, turning his head to face her more fully, his face half hidden by his arm still.

"Eh..well, I'm sure she'll be back eventually, right? Even if it is to come and take a bite of me. Funny, though. She mentioned a sister, but didn't say anything about her dying. Mentioned everything going to shit after she was gone."

He was quiet for a moment, simply losing himself in her eyes, seeing his own reflection in them. Quickly, he fought off the dazed sight of his mind - better not head that way, or he'd fall asleep again.

He pushed himself into a sitting position, and grabbed a piece of the bread, and bit into it thoughtfully.

After he chewed and swallowed, he shrugged. "Well, nevermind that. What's this project you mentioned?" He popped the last of the bread in his mouth, and laid a hand on her side as he turned his body toward her.

Blink

Still laying there Jaela smiled when Itachi asked about Kaida's project. "There is this boy she had me follow a while back. He thinks he is a healer but in reality, she thinks he can do so much more than that." A light giggle then rose from her chest.

"Last I knew he still had no idea what he could actually do and she was going to go and help him figure it out." Eventually, Jaela sat back up, grabbing a piece of ham from the tray. "She really isn't as bad as everyone thinks she is. I mean she used to be, but after Emelia, it opened her eyes a little."

After that Jaela savored the taste of the ham before continuing. "Kaida wants everyone who is different to be able to lean on each other if they need to. She is working towards making that possible but it seems everyone still thinks she is some kind of evil thing." Sometimes even Jaela couldn't help but see the evil that once rest behind Kaida's eyes.

"Emelia was dead, but only recently we found out she may be back. Ever since then Kaida has been going out of her way to stay away from where the rumors originate. She doesn't want to get sucked back in. If you had ever known Emelia you would understand why."

"Emelia is single handily the most selfish and awful person I have ever met."

Marakai Trin

Itachi listened to her intently while she spoke, trying to glean whatever information he could. He wondered about Kaida, what made her tick, what made her do the things she did.

After a moment, he put a hand on his chin, his gaze going far away as he buried himself in thought. She had a fondness for the 'unique'. She'd said herself that she found him interesting...he wondered why. So he was good at what he did. So what? There were plenty of skilled doctors in the world. A spotless record wasn't anything to sneeze at, sure, but to him it was just a fluke. Just....

Luck. Pure and simple. So what was special about him?

And this...Emelia. Dead, and returned again, and sounded like a big problem.

"So...if Kaida doesn't want to deal with this Emelia....why doesn't she send someone after her? Demon, Dragon, human, fey...all things can die. Get rid of the girl, and the problem is gone."

Blink

His question was a good one... so good in fact it caused Jaela to stop chewing in order to think better. Finally swallowing the bit of ham in her mouth she took a deep breath.

"If your mother was someone who needed to die would you trust anyone but yourself to kill her? I think Kaida knows that Emelia needs to die, permanently, but I think she also still misses her. Emelia was the only one out of all of her siblings who even gave her the time of day. Hell... Emelia practically raised Kaida." Which explained a lot as to why Kaida is the way she is.

"And Kaida is not stupid enough to go after her like that. Emelia was strong, way stronger than any of the Black-Hearth siblings combined." Again Jaela went for another piece of bread and began ripping it apart in her fingers.

"It's all just a big mess really. Eventually, she is just going to have to go to Aeizith and ask him for help." She stated it as if it were fact... and technically it was. Aeizith Black-Hearth, the only other sibling left who had even a fraction of what it would take to help Kaida. Except there was one tiny little problem... Aeizith practically told Kaida if he ever saw her again he would kill her.

Marakai Trin

Itachi was again silent for a moment, thoughtfully chewing on an apple slice.

"Personally....I think if anyone I knew needed to die, I would do whatever was necessary to see it through. I mean...look where I came from. I've been swearing up and down since I left them that I would wipe out the Sarbanes. Clearly, that hasn't happened yet...because I can't do it on my own. I want to...but I can't. "

He sighed, and shook his head. "No...if something is bad enough that it absolutely has to be eliminated, then whomever involved should be prepared to do whatever it necessary to see it through. She should see this Aeizith, and whomever else she can call on, and get it done."