Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Peace in Pieces (Remi) [M]

Started by quaggan, May 09, 2018, 03:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

Kallinike chuckled back. "I see, how clever of you! Getting drunk so you can show your best herbal remedies for hangover!" Her voice was equally devoid of malice, just playfulness and amusement. She took a swallow, stopping herself from coughing.

"Now then, I believe you wanted to hear about that other healer who visited the castle before" she began, leaning against the bar. "She was a flesh-shaper from Thanatos - she made her living by visiting nobility and royalty all over the world, fixing small appearance imperfections to... make their sons and daughters more appealing to prospective matches. Adela, La'marri, Zantaric, the islands... She wanted to offer her services to the Torverath royal family when she heard of the curse. While she was a flesh shaper, she had enough entropymancer friends to know a little of their trade, and insisted that she saw entropy's hand in this."

She downed her drink and poured herself more. "I'm neither a scholar nor entropymancer, but the way Aewana described it, it was... an universal force searching to erode and break everything into smaller particles. Some loss is usually involved - if I broke this mug, it would not be enough to gather all of its pieces to reassemble it - one would have to use glue, or magic."

Jael gave them a look from behind the bar. "If you have to break the mug for demonstration, replacement would cost two copper. And break it against the bar, not on the floor - I don't want any idiot falling on sharp pieces and getting hurt."

"I don't think breaking the mug would be necessary" Kallinike chuckled. "Anyway, Aewana saw entropy's hand in this. She decided to let her friends on Thanatos know, wrote some letters, and stayed awhile to fix the queen's nose. I didn't remain for long, so I didn't know what happened then. But I believe the court mage, one Rinne Linus, should be able to tell you more."

Remi

"Oh, but of course you'd see through my plan! I'll have to come up with another!" There was just a touch of feigned shock to her teasing words as Remi grabbed her bottle of swill, tilting her head back and downing several gulps of the dull, greenish liquor, enjoying the way that it set her throat ablaze. She had to admit that she liked Kallinike already; it seemed they'd probably get along quite well for the duration of the journey.

She fell silent and thoughtful as Kallinike explained what she'd heard from the other healer. Based on what she'd explained about the other healer's attempts, it probably wasn't either divine nor diabolic in nature; which would make things both far more and less difficult at the same time. Less difficult because it meant she probably wouldn't have to make contact -or contract with- a nefarious entity; they weren't the easiest to barter with, after all. More difficult, because she'd have to delve much deeper to try and find the source.

Though if it indeed was trying to erode and tear things down, that would be a good place to start; though it would damn sure be a challenge. And Remi did enjoy a good challenge, even if most wouldn't have believed such a thing. "Gods damn," She whistled, taking another long swallow of her swill and downing nearly half of the bottle, "This is going to be interesting to sort out!"

"No, she won't have to break the mug, I understand what she's saying. Though you know, it could be kind of fun, watching drunken asses dancing around and not being able to decide what's poking them," She had to tease; imagining a group of drunken oafs lurching about, screaming that the floor was biting them.

quaggan

Jael sighed. "While I enjoy tableaus as much as any other person, unfortunately some idiots started a workplace safety guild here in the port. If those drunk fools come barreling in and talking about how floor bit them, I won't hear the end of it from public safety whiners."

"Would making me the usual cheer you up?" Kallinike asked.

"Not as much as all the wages your men decided to spend on the booze" Jael grinned. "What a clever business move on your part, cover the expenses of food and rooms, but not the alcohol."

"Then you won't mind giving me a cut?"

"Is that what the proud el Sapienza family been reduced to? Tricking poor business owners into shady deals?" Jael laughed. "I better go make the usual before you convince me into selling my soul."

"Pah! There is not enough demand for human souls for me to bother with that" Kallinike commented.

'The usual' turned out to be a stew containing so many spices that just smelling it was enough to make someone breathe fire. Either Astanill exported spice, or Jael had her ways of keeping herself supplied - perhaps her merchant friend. Kallinike ate and chatted with the bar owner until the risen Drowned Star shone through the window. After that, the merchant retired to her rented room and would not be seen until the morning after.

Remi

"Why even bother listening to the damnable whiners in the first place?" Remi inquired, ordering another bottle of swill as she teased Jael, "Certainly they'd see the hilarity in everything... oh, if not, just threaten to set the hounds on them! It doesn't matter if "the hounds" are just a few goblins, or nothing at all!"

It probably went without saying that Remi offered horrible suggestions and advice when good booze was helping her relax and see the senselessness of the too-polite act she'd been putting on.

Remi would order more common travelers' fair and a third bottle of swill, bidding a pleasant night to Kallinike. She would remain at the bar for a while longer, conversing with Jael for a bit, before engaging a couple of drunks in few games of dice. Winning one of the games, she would slide her winnings across the table to Jael with a wink and "Hopefully that will cover anything that happens tonight." 

After that, the unconventional healer would stagger her way out the door (only letting her face make a close, personal acquaintance with the ground once or twice) and through divine miracle alone, found her way to the stable, not to be seen again until first light.

quaggan

The first people to enter the stable - not counting a few drunks that made their way inside during the night, seeking a place to get rid of the fluid accumulated in their bodies - were some of Kallinike's men, here to lead the horses out and harness them to the wagons waiting outside. A few armed mercenaries reacted to them with sighs of relief, climbing at the wagons to take a nap. Night guard was probably less pleasant than sleeping in a real bed, but their commander probably compensated them for this sacrifice.

Kallinike left with a bottle of commemorative booze from Jael. She waved at Remi, walking up to her. "Good morning to you. Most of my men are still fighting the morning sleepyhead syndrome and a hangover - if you still have the herbs for your nefarious plan, I'm sure some of them would love to become victims of it. But before you go rescue those sods from the consequences of their short-term thinking, or not, give me a moment of your time. Most of those wagons are for cargo, but there's enough space for you to sit, should you wish to. There are the draft horses too, but I would not recommend them."

Remi

During the night, there had probably been more than one drunk, complaining to Jael about the "demon" that had been sleeping in the stable- and those same drunks had probably sported some rather interesting bruises. But after a couple of hours, Remi had decided to down a potent concoction of herbal sedatives and narcotics -namely hallucinogens and relaxants- to knock herself out with. At pre-dawn, she'd woken up (still pleasantly fuzzy-headed) to add herbs to her own waterskin- a handful of chicory root, peppermint leaves, dandelion, rosemary and narcotic stimulants- and downed it as easily as last night's rum. It tasted similar to what she thought death would have tasted like, but it would help her remain awake, alert and not having to contend with a hangover.

When Kallinike approached, she offered her own wave and perhaps surprisingly cheery "Good morning to you as well. Oh, I've still got plenty to start that villainous plan- and certainly. If I end up needing to rest, I won't damage your cargo, I'll make sure of it. Thank you for telling me about the horses- I don't think I'd try my luck with a draft horse," She worked as she talked, preparing concoctions similar to the one that she'd downed, though twice as potent as hers had been; adding milk thistle and fennel for good measure.

Remi would begin passing out her concoctions, explaining that they were just hangover remedies; having to explain to a couple of smartasses that she could not make anything to help make one luckier with the ladies or gambling and that nothing she could possibly prepare could make anyone grow additional limbs. All questions that she had a hard time answering with a straight face.

quaggan

Finally, the caravan began to move. Remi wasn't the only person who saw the advantages to travelling in a big group, as several other people joined. Fortunately, there were no families with misbehaving screaming kids. Kallinike had one of her men pass some rations around later during the day. The 'freeloaders' had to make do with their own food, but Remi was counted among Kallinike's men and therefore granted access to her supplies.

The first day passed without major issues. Travelling with the el Sapienza caravan for that long was already enough to distinguish between the two categories the guards could be divided into. The first was probably mercenaries with permanent contracts, serving the merchant house since some time. The second, among whom Remi could count herself as well, were the temporary replacements - people hired to fill in the slot freed up because of loss of one of the permanent contractors.

They made camp for the night. Some guards drew lots to decide the order of keeping watch, others seemed to have permanent assignments for it. One armoured man whispered a magical incantation, transformed into an owl and flew off to sit on a branch of a nearby tree. Others were pulling out the sides of the lone wagon not used for cargo, to build some makeshift roofs to sleep under. Some mysterious hooks finally showed their purpose as Kallinike's men began to hang hammocks there to sleep on. The other travelers were casting jealous glances at them as they arranged themselves comfortably to sleep.

Some hours past midnight, Remi would be woken up by one of the guards banging on her shield with her mace. "Will sensed some beasts closing in on our position!" she shouted. "Get in a formation!"

It wouldn't be an attack without civilians making an unnecessary mess out of everything. Some started shouting and running, as if whatever was coming had as much distaste for chaos as any normal person. "Enough of this panic!" Kallinike bellowed. "Civilians and noncombatants here!" Her guards were already gathering in a loose circle around the wagons.

Remi

It wasn't surprising to see how many other people had joined the caravan; there was safety in numbers, after all- though it was very relieving for the healer to note that there were no misbehaving children. Remi would help Kallinike during the first day in any way that she could, settling in with ease, for the most part.

Some of the other travelers and mercenaries would likely have taken a shine to the unconventional woman for the narcotics that she shared without needed to be persuaded too much and a willingness to gamble and generally goof around with the others when there was no need to be serious. They might have even been taught a new, extremely lewd traveling song or two, to help pass the time. Of course, there were several that, no matter what, Remi just couldn't get along with- and didn't even try.

When she was awoken a few hours after midnight, it took the healer a few seconds to become oriented, snarling profanities under her breath once she realized what the other woman was yelling. Rather than going about her morning routine of brewing  chicory and other stimulants, she was on her feet in an instant. It sounded like an attack was iminent- and chaos was breaking out where she stood.

Remi would have to apologize later, for grabbing a few civilians, spinning them around and shoving them in the direction of Kallinike's voice. "You stupid bitch!" She bellowed at a rather young, panicked woman who thought running away from their camp would be the best possible idea. Not caring what the woman thought at the rough treatment, Remi seized her by the hair as she ran past, effectively yanking her off her feet. "If you don't shut your damned mouth, I'll shut it for you!" She warned, dragging the young lady kicking and screaming to Kallinike's rallying point.

Her knives remained sheathed for the time being; she would try to help defend the civilians if it became necessary to do so, though for the most part, it seemed like she would be acting as a herding dog- at least for the time being.

quaggan

One of Kallinike's men handed the trademaster a loaded crossbow. She took it with practiced ease, resting it against her thigh. One of the guards got some of the less scared civilians to help with the horses, herding them inside the circle of wagons. They were clearly practiced, as they managed to get all the vulnerable people and animals in without bigger hitches. Upon completing their task, they surrounded the camp in a loose circle, tight enough not to let anyone slip through, but free enough so that they wouldn't get in each other's way.

They got everyone in position before anything began to happen. There was a tense moment of waiting and silence, broken only by the scared sounds coming from the civilians. The guards stayed silent and vigilant. Kallinike climbed atop one of the wagons, soon joined by the shapeshifter. "What are we dealing with?" she asked quietly.

"Hell if I know" the owl man commented. "I'm not a zoologist. But they looked sort of like wolves - big, with black fur. Oh, and I think I saw one of them just disappear into thin air. Maybe a teleport."

"Good to know" Kallinike commented.

"Boss? I have an idea" began a reptilian-looking woman armed with a huge hammer. "Can we use this spice you have in crates?"

"You'd have to sell your entire clutch into slavery to make up for the loss" the trademaster quipped. "But the road's dry, it hasn't rained in some time. I think dust will serve for your purpose."

"I think I heard something!" the owl-man called. Kallinike motioned to cut the chatter and listen. A few seconds later the sound caught up to those without heightened senses: something like the clanging of chains.

"Feels like I'm back in my wife's secret dungeon again" one of the less disciplined temps commented before being shushed by his companion.

The reptilian woman stabbed her sword into the ground and grabbed the edge of her cape. "I'll have the screaming one wash it for me later" she muttered as she swiped it across the road. A small dust cloud rose into the air as a result of her efforts. Someone opened his mouth to complain about visibility, but was quickly shut up. There seemed to be a shape creeping towards the caravan.

Kallinike fired a bolt from her crossbow with a soft click. Her missile flew straight ahead and hit its target. A roar sounded as the creature revealed itself - a figure resembling a large wolf, covered in black fur. The trademaster's bolt struck it in one leg, embedding itself in its flesh. Apparently the pain was enough to disrupt its invisibility.

"What's the point to turning invisible if this sound gives them away anyway?" someone questioned.

Tags: