Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Flower Power [Goblin]

Started by Juno, August 09, 2017, 08:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Ko'sah watched her warily, lifting one of the buckets so that he could sip from it as he listened to her speak. He wished he was free to drink from a water sack instead, it made him feel like the humans thought of him as purely animal to be made to drink from buckets like their horses. He was pleased that his request had been granted, however, and surely was not planning on complaining.

He wasn't quite sure how he should have answered her question, though. While not exactly his choice foods he had certainly gotten enough of the bland meats and breads the human men had offered him. Preference was a different matter entirely, and he was certain it was all just leftovers from the servant meals anyway.

He huffed an anxious breath, nodding slightly in answer but refusing to speak. It seemed odd to hear her speak of her assumed husband as though they weren't close, as if she had no say in the matter. She even spoke of his freedom, a subject that seemed a joke considered how strictly confined he'd been in recent years.

It was a depressing thought that the vampire's wife might be just as trapped in her life as he was, as the slaves of the house were. As much as he disliked his situation he also pitied her, pregnant and being cared for by the people of the estate instead of the man she was married to. It was unnatural to him, family took care of family and loved ones took care of each other first and foremost. From the reactions he'd seen and heard it was well-known that Ladybird needed some assistance, or was expected at least not to do everything for herself. He truly felt sorry for her and he was oblivious as to why she might concern herself with him or anyone else at all if she was struggling.

When the boy returned with a large mug of water and a blanket that looked quite soft Ko'sah set down his half-drunk bucket and adjusted himself to lie down on the shallow bed of straw in his stall so that he might not have to look at the woman. He didn't want to encourage her to stay. She should have been resting properly indoors, not concerning herself with him or any of the horses.

GoblinFae

She really had not wanted to use Akakios's name to get things done, but she knew how much power it held. Ladybird could only hope though that it would not make its way back to him. She knew without asking that this whole situation was not something he would be pleased knowing she had meddled in. If he had his way he likely would have her tucked comfortably in bed and never leaving it until the baby was born. She would not stand for it though. As long as she behaved herself and he remained relatively ignorant about her current antics then all should be well.

Ladybird shook her head slightly to clear her thoughts as she noticed the centaur lower himself from view. Her lips twitched at the sight, amused at such a horse-like movement. It should not have surprised her really, she was sitting after all why couldn't he? She continued to rest in her spot, watching his stall despite being unable to see him. His silence in the face of her words was telling enough. He was dismissing her for better or for worse.

With a sigh, she dragged herself back to her feet with a fair bit of difficulty. The blanket was draped about her shoulders and pulled tight like a cloak as she approached the centaur's shelter. For a moment she hesitated standing there before placing a hand on the wood of his door and patting it softly.

"I'll be back tomorrow. I should rest for today but I'm glad to have spent time with you this morning. Thank you," Ladybird spoke genuinely, nodding her head though neither of them could see each other. "I can bring more apples if you'd like, or something else. Hopefully things will be better for you though. I'm sorry I can't do more," she added in a strained whisper, feeling a deep sadness take hold of her. "Tomorrow then!"

The noblewoman then shuffled out at last, making her way back to the main house where she did just as she said she would. Ladybird went about her day, resting and enjoying the serenity of the Reolaras summer home. Her mind though was still on the centaur cooped up in the stables, abused and mistreated in her eyes.

Right then and there she decided her mission for her stay there would be to do all she could to make him comfortable since she could not free him herself. She would continue to come visit him in the mornings as she had been doing but would bring her knitting with her and simply talk with him until he felt like joining in on the conversation. She would not push him to do anything he did not want to but, she was determined not to abandon him.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

The kind words Ladybird spoke to him were terribly confusing. She seemed so compassionate and he genuinely wanted to believe she was being sincere, but her station left his guard up anyway. What could she possibly be thanking him for? He wasn't good company and he was little more than a caged pet, a captive trophy. There was no reason for a woman like her to speak to him as though he was one of her own.

Much to his confusion her visits and his doubled meals continued to happen. He was full beyond anything he'd ever experienced before at the estate, even uncomfortably so, and it left him feeling quite sluggish as he stood in his stall just listening to her speak every day. At least her voice was soothing, but bales of hay had been placed against the wall of his stall as well as the neighboring one to allow her a place to sit wherever she liked and however close. Between her visits and what care the stable hands provided him with he was left with no privacy and little downtime aside from the darkness of night. But still Ko'sah watched her curiously, uncertain what she was making through her knitting during her visits but assuming it would be something for her baby by the time it was finished.

At last a little over a week into her visits he began to relax, becoming accustomed to her presence. Perhaps she meant him no harm if she spent so much of her free time just sitting and speaking to him. He'd never once heard her raise her voice at the stable hands or show them any sharpness again and instead seemed to show such kindness to all in a way he didn't understand. How had the vampire entrapped such a wholesome soul for himself?

In the lull of a silence he finally seized the opportunity to speak to her again, stepping forward towards the stall door to peer down at her with pleading eyes. "Petal," he tried softly, uncertain if she would have a preference in the name that he called her. "Your intentions seem good, but I do not need so much food anymore."

GoblinFae

The days passed steadily and without consequence as Ladybird enjoyed the quiet company of the centaur in the stables. The things she spoke of in her soft humming voice were light and happy topics. When she wasn't talking some times she was singing or humming to herself as her fingers worked diligently on the yarn carded within her hands. It was soft, thick, and had been dyed a lovely shade of green that Ladybird heartily approved of. Akakios had been more than generous at her request for yarns and had made sure that she was provided with a variety of colors of her choosing, all of the finest quality. It warmed her heart whenever she thought of how sweet he could be.

The yarn though was for a blanket, though not the person her husband likely expected it to be for. Ladybird was not making a baby blanket but a horse blanket. The stable was temperate even with the cooler nights but she had wanted to make something special for her new centaur acquaintance. She could not free him and this was hardly anything of worth in comparison but it came from the heart and was all Ladybird could think to offer.

It completely took her by surprise therefore when a soft voice above her spoke her name. Her head popped up with a shot and her eyes widened to realize he was speaking to her again. He had even remembered her name! Ladybird's face lit up brighter than the sun on a perfect summer's day. The face-splitting smile did not even falter as she shifted to her feet to see him better and took in his words.

"I'm glad you're feeling better, friend. Your coat has started to look quite shiny and lovely and your face has started to lose that sunken in look. If it truly is too much then I shall ask that it be reduced slightly but I would see you still eat well. You're quite the handsome gentleman after all," she chirped, her eyes crinkling joyfully. "Do you have any food changes or requests though? I admit I don't readily know what your people eat and cannot judge as to whether or not the staff has been feeding you right. I apologize for that grievance." Her head bowed in apology as she held the unfinished blanket close, keeping it from touching the dusty ground.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Ko'sah was relieved that she did not take insult to his request, though he stared at her for her compliments. He was confused as to why she might say such things or what it might mean if she considered them to be friends. Perhaps she might help him out of his predicament, but he wasn't going to count on it. It was equally as likely in his eyes that she was just trying to placate him into some sense of trust, though why he had no idea.

He shook his head gently at her questions, feeling it wrong that he make any requests of the food when he knew it was what all the other people shared in. There was no need to have them work extra to fuss over a unique meal for him like some honored guest. It stung a bit to be reminded of his own people, his herd not forgotten but often far from his mind. The centaur was just surviving and existing, he rarely thought on what things might have been like if he could have returned to his people. It was more a dream than anything, having been held a captive for so long.

"The food is good," he told her calmly, eyeing her curiously and not understanding why she stood now when she'd been sitting the whole time she'd spoken to him previously. "My people each much the same, just with more fruits and vegetables and less meat. I'm perfectly alright with the type of meals they provide for me." He hoped she understood the sincerity of his words, not wanting any trouble with the master of the house over something he was quite content with.

Silently the centaur eyed her up and down, studying the small woman curiously both in her manner of dress and the unfinished knitting she clutched in her hands that draped over her round belly. "You are...here to have your baby?" he guessed, eyes softening slightly.

He had always liked the children of his herd, their upbringing very much a group effort whenever they were away from their parents. No child was ever to fear someone of their home herd, all were a resource to lean upon. That time of his life had been quite short, however, having been taken away and to his current home when he was barely an adult himself. Briefly he wondered how long the vampire and his wife might stay, if he might be permitted to see the baby she now carried or if he would be seen as too dangerous for such a risk if they were still there at all.

GoblinFae

She nodded along to his words, grateful that he was relatively content with the food. She did make a mental note though to ask that he begin more fruits and vegetables in his diet to better accommodate him. He night not ask for it but Ladybird was taking it upon herself to be his advocate whether he liked it or not.

His next words though made her voice and features soften. Ladybird lowered a hand to gently pet her swollen belly and stare at it in compassion and awe. "Aye, I am." She smoothed her hand over stomach, feeling the baby within kick back against her palm. "My pregnancy has been rather difficult you see. I'm only human but my husband is not. The doctor has been concerned that I have been putting too much stress on myself so Akakios whisked me away to here. Something about fresh air and sunshine," she chuckled softly, unconsciously smiling in memory of her husband's concern.

"I'll be here until the babe is born and likely some time after as I recover. She is to be my first though." Ladybird patted her stomach and shook her head. "My husband believes it will be a boy but I'm quite certain she's a little girl. Mother's intuition I suppose," she laughed.

Looking up at him with a beaming smile she asked, "would you like to feel the baby? She's being quite lively right now."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Truly it was some of the best news he'd heard in a long time, a small smile lighting his features and smoothing the tired lines in his face a bit. While her words confirmed his assumptions about whom she was married to it did not diminish the affection that was growing to know that he might meet a child someday. He knew of the younger servants and heard whispers of some of the bastard children born to the house but they did not visit him and he had not seen children happy at home in many a year.

He did not understand the disagreement that they had about guessing what the child might be. A healthy baby was a blessing, though he understood through his captivity that males tended to have some favor. Ko'sah stepped forward, nodding in agreement but stopped short. A frown quickly replaced what light had been there as he reached the end of his chains again and shook his head with a huff.

"I don't think they would like it if you opened the door," he reminded her gently, hanging his head in disappointment. "I'm here because I escaped the fields so much when I was young."

GoblinFae

"Well then it's a good thing I'm not asking them then, isn't it?" Her face sparkled with mischief as she carefully folded the unfinished blanket in her arms and set it down. Only once it was carefully placed did she move to the lock on his stall door and place her hand upon it. There was a slight hesitation as she looked at the latch for the door and then up at his face.

"I don't believe I have anything to fear from you. Am I wrong in that belief?" Ladybird smirked then not even waiting for an answer as her hands pulled open the stall door with ease. She then carefully stood in its doorway and continued, "because I certainly won't tell them, if you don't."

Despite her words there was a slight line of tension that ran across her shoulders and down her spine. She knew that like with any horse, spooking a creature or getting in their face without the proper invitation was grounds for injury and that was the last thing she wanted. One hand rested over her belly where her unborn baby continued to kick against her hand while the other clutched the smooth wood of the stall door. If he wanted to escape he would have to bowl her over to do so. The noblewoman would be prepared to move as best as she could to get out of his way but given how ungainly her movements were, that really was not a viable option for her. She simply had to trust, and so trust she did in a centaur whose name she still did not know.

"Now would you like to feel the baby kick or should I make a dive for the hay?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Ko'sah had eyed her skeptically, not understanding why she was placing such trust in him. Perhaps it was the chains that gave her a sense of security. He'd said nothing at first, just shaking his head but still keeping it bowed. He didn't feel she had anything to fear from him. Truly he was a gentle creature and the only people he'd ever become violent with were those that were sent after him and  entrapped him time and again before he'd been shackled.

He fidgeted anxiously as he eyed the open doorway around her, tail swishing in nervous agitation. When she'd beckoned him again, though, the centaur nodded silently in agreement. His took large, cautious steps closer and realized face-to-face just how small she was. He knelt down slowly on his forelegs to bring them closer, wincing at the metallic clatter of his chains as he reached out to her.

Warm, calloused hands touched against the sides of her roundness, cautious of moving them too much for fear of offending her if he went too high or too low. Very quickly he became entranced, a genuine smile playing at his lips and a bright giddiness reaching his eyes with a small gasp of surprise when he felt the fluttering movements of the babe.

Fondly he made slow circles with his thumbs and chuckled softly with delight when he was rewarded with more movement. "Your child... She is so strong already but she is running out of room, I think," he told her with an affectionate chuckle, his eyes holding a warmth that had been gone for many years.

"What will you call her?" he inquired, uncertain if she might share that with him. Not wanting to give her the awkward task of asking him to remove his hands the centaur slowly righted himself and let them slip away to hang at his sides instead.

GoblinFae

She had remained still and calm as he made his decision and then finally knelt before her and pressed his hands against her. Ladybird was in awe of his gesture and his gentleness. The wonder on his own face made her tear up and wipe hurriedly at her eyes. Her uncontrollable hormones were sending her emotions all over the place. Such a precious sight brought her to tears and she was helpless to stop them even as she smiled lovingly down at him.

"Sorry," she sniffled slightly, blinking her eyes rapidly as she smiled and fanned her eyes. "Pregnancy makes me a bit more emotional than normal. But, thank you and yes. My little monster gets bigger every day." Ladybird tapped her fingers lightly against her little one, speaking with a deep love and fondness in her tone.

"If she's a girl then she'll be Lilith, Lily. My husband wants something formal for his firstborn but I do so have a fondness for flowers, isn't that right my little Lily." She rubbed her belly and cooed softly. "And if I'm wrong and it's a boy then he will be Ashley I hope. Akakios isn't overly fond of the name though so we're still undecided." She laughed then, raising her head to look at him up close and unhindered.

"Do you have suggestions?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Ko'sah smiled down at her fondly, his eyes constantly flickering between her face and her hand against her belly as she spoke. He nodded, sighing softly in acceptance even though he really had no say in the matter. "I think those are lovely names," he'd agreed, a bit taken aback by her asking him for suggestions. How strange to ask her husband's living trophy for help with something so important, not understanding how she might see the centaur as a friend. He hated how she spoke so fondly of the man, not understanding how he might have convinced such a seemingly kind soul to stay by his side and bear his child.

He shook his head gently, eyeing the door briefly but making no move towards it. "My people use different names, but I do like many of the human ones I have heard. They are similar. My mother is called Tha'ri. I like her name," he shrugged, slumping slightly as he thought on his family. He realized in sharing that with her, though, that she might not have known his name unless she'd heard it from the servants or her husband. "I am Ko'sah, but I do not think your husband would like it if you used my name."

GoblinFae

"Tha'ri," she repeated, letting the name roll around her tongue as she tested it out. "It's a beautiful name! I love it!" Ladybird beamed up at him, immensely pleased that he was finally conversing with her and even engaging her in conversation. It was a welcome change from the silence on his end as she simply chattered along.

She perked up further, her cheeks actually stinging with the amount of smiling she was doing as he finally gave her his name. "Ko'sah! It is an honour to know your name, she greeted him, clasping her hands together in her excitement. "As for my husband, I'm sure there's a great many things I do that do not please him. I know I'm certainly displeased with what he's done to you. If he wishes to complain then I have plenty to say to make his ears ring."

Her brows knit together as she thought of Akakios and her hands fell to her hips stubbornly. "Never you mind about him. I'm not afraid of him but he should be afraid of me these days." Nodding her head to end the discussion, her features softened again. "Do those names mean anything to your people?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

His eyes widened slightly at her declaration, not understanding how the vampire might have gotten himself into such an arrangement. Though she'd been gentle with him, the way she spoke of her husband let it be known she wouldn't be told what to do and seemed quite opinionated and independent herself.

A soft smile reached his lips for the way she planted her hands to her hips, looking so impossibly small even with that. The centaur shook his head gently at her question, fidgeting in place as he shuffled his hooves in the straw. "They are just what we call each other. Short names are preferred in my herd, especially for males. Makes it easier to talk on a hunt," he explained, not understanding what the point was of her knowing other than to try to get to know him and his ways a bit better. Was she truly trying to befriend him? It seemed like she was.

"What should I think of you as?" he asked nervously, hoping he had not offended her by his earlier use of the second name she'd given him. "You said you were called Ladybird but also...Petal?"

GoblinFae

Ladybird smiled soothingly, wishing to be kind to him even as he was nervous and skittish around her. "My given name by my parents is Ladybird. I am not too fond of it though. My friends and loved ones call me Petal though. I would love if you called me Petal. I'd like to be your friend you see, that is of course if you'd be willing to be mine?"

She peeked up at him shyly, not wishing to pressure him. There was still a hopeful lilt in her voice though and the toe of her shoe dug nervously into the sweet hay of his flooring. "You don't have to. I understand if you don't trust me, if you think this all a trick and a ruse. But, for what it's worth I like you and I do want to get to know you more. I hope one day you can forgive me for what he's put you through. This is not how things should be." Her eyes filled with tears again as she lowered her head in shame. She had not meant to sour the conversation but her heart hurt every time she thought of him like this, a slave cooped up in stable and unable to be free as he deserved.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Her talk of friendship made him wary, his tail swishing anxiously the whole time she remained on the topic. He narrowed his eyes at how easily she pinpointed his fears, acknowledging that he thought it might have been a trick to get close to him. If anyone knew him at all they would have easily been able to identify Petal as the sort of person to break through his barrier, and he wasn't entirely sure if he was ready to be known by anyone. It also didn't seem smart to him to befriend her when she would likely leave once her baby was old enough to do so safely.

"Well Petal... I can't promise you it will work well, but- I might be able to try," he offered, scared of giving her any sort of commitment. From what he'd seen she seemed like a lovely, caring person. But the kind of woman who claimed she could act freely from her husband, strike fear in him even... Surely she had some sway over how he was kept or his freedom if she even bothered to ask. Ko'sah worried that she might not ask for the right thing to ever be done by him so long as she got to visit a captive friend and tell him all her stories.

A small flash of fire in his eyes was gone just as quickly as it had come and a scowl was left in its wake. The centaur turned his side to her, gesturing dismissively towards the door with one hand. "You should leave before they find you here," he warned her, somehow managing to keep the worst of his bite from his tone.

GoblinFae

"Thank you. It's all I can hope to ask for," she murmured softly. His agitation was obvious to her though she had no idea how close she had hit the nail on the head. In that moment, Ladybird knew what she must do though. She would earn his trust and friendship. She would do right by Ko'sah and perhaps one day she would be able to free him as he deserved. The pregnant woman had no way of knowing how long it would take but she knew the power of her determination. She would do this for him, not because she wished to win his attention but, because it was the right thing to do.

At his dismissal, Ladybird found herself nodding sadly and silently before bowing out and carefully locking his stall door again. "Thank you again, Ko'sah. I hope to be able to talk with you again when you are willing." She sighed softly, wondering if today was a fluke to never be repeated again. Those thoughts did not last long though and she hurried to brush them aside.

"I'll see you tomorrow though. I should return home for a nap." Ladybird yawned tiredly and shook her head. As the days went by she found she was more and more tired, needing to rest often after even the simplest of tasks were completed. "Thank you again for your company.," she commented while gathering up her knitting things and heading for the stable door. After her nap Ladybird had already decided she would be working to make some changes for Ko'sah. If she could not free him then at the very least she should be able to give him quality of life.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

It was odd to him how much she continued to visit, how much she spoke even when he had little to say. Every day Petal came to the stables, sitting with him for hours with her knitting and chattering on in a way that never annoyed him. Her voice was soothing, motherly, and he had no doubts she would be an excellent mother to her child. She always showed such kindness and gentleness, never pressuring him to do more than he was comfortable with even as she herself grew larger by the day and getting around seemed to visually be taking its toll on her.

He wondered if what connection they had was what it was like to be friends with a human, but it scared him. Ko'sah knew he was getting too attached, that there was always such a sense of relief when she visited as she always did even though nearly every day he half-expected her to just stop coming by.

He felt in his heart it was dangerous. One day her husband would discover what she was doing and he assumed forbid them from talking at best. Even if that never happened, the home they stayed in was not his master's real home. One day they would leave with whatever young child they had, and Ko'sah was sure a piece of his heart with them if he continued to allow such affection to blossom, if he let himself become attached to mother and child. About one month into their odd friendship, though, the centaur didn't see much he could do to drive her off.

She had obliged any requests he'd made of her, both bringing his food back down to comfortable portions and enhancing his meals with a bit more variety. The noblewoman had even allowed him anything he'd requested thus far, though he couldn't bring himself to ask for anything but small favors. She never seemed to make it an awkward affair whenever he wanted to be alone either, quietly leaving to waddle back to the house. Most of the time he didn't mind her company, and he wondered how much it would hurt when she would eventually have to leave him behind and go back to her normal life.

GoblinFae

Time had passed and the blanket and her belly both grew larger with each passing day. Movement was becoming more and more difficult. She tired easily and slept more. However, Ladybird refused to end her morning visits with Ko'sah. She loved them and considered them a blessing to be privileged with having. Yet, even they took a toll on her body and it was not uncommon for her knitting to falter or need readjusting because she had gone and distracted herself from what she was doing. She persisted all the same, intent on finishing this gift for her new friend before her wee flower finally greeted the world.

Today however was the day. She had finished the blanket, having tied off the last row and now was on her way to deliver it. Ladybird waddled her way into the stables with the brightest of smiles and the folded blanket clutched close to her chest. "Good morning, Ko'sah!" she called out from the entrance, unable to even wait until she was closer to greet him. She did her best to hurry over even as she continued to chatter exuberantly.

"Did you sleep well? I hope you're well today. I have something for you," she giggled, all but skipping as she bustled her way up to his stall and quickly undid the lock on it. It swung open with a bit of a bang in her excitement but she hardly noticed as she shifted from foot to foot, her eyes crinkled in uncontrollable joy.

"I finished it!" Ladybird declared, holding the blanket out to him to see. "I made it for you and it's finally finished. I hope you like it," she chattered on. Her face reflected the pure childlike innocence of her happiness as she awaited his response nervously. He had seen her making it for a month now but she had never once asked his opinion on it. She had not wanted him to deny her this small pleasure of doing something nice for someone else. Now that it was time though, she worried that he would find the yarn too scratchy or the color too tacky for his liking. Each cable that wove in and out of the pattern had been made with love and care. Ladybird had poured her heart into it and she could only hope that he would understand and see that.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Petal's familiar, happy lilt normally soothed his nerves but that morning Ko'sah grew tense at her approach. "Good morning," he'd huffed, having not been prepared even though it was her morning ritual, a thoughtful frown creasing his face even once he'd caught sight of her at his door.

He'd offered a small shrug at her polite questions, not really certain anymore how well or poorly he ever slept when his whole life managed to be one long, dull moment that stretched on forever. Her declaration, though, left his brow quirked in curiosity. What could she possibly have for him? He assumed food, she had occasionally brought him treats that weren't a part of his normal diet: sweets and the finer foods his master seemed to reserve for his wife.

She'd opened the door as casually as any other day, so trusting that he wouldn't try to break through his bonds and escape the stall. He could feel the anxious energy coming off her in waves, though, and it piqued his interest why she might be so excitable. It was so early in the day and she'd yet to dive into something she was passionate about like her flowers or the animals she tended at her home.

When she'd presented him with the blanket she'd been knitting, though, the centaur snorted and jumped back a bit, staring with wide eyes as she unfurled it like he'd been startled and hadn't seen the very same blanket being worked on during all her visits. He'd never thought she might trouble herself to make it for him.

Ko'sah frowned sadly, his eyes softening in disappointment even as he stepped forward gingerly to take the blanket in his hands. It was beautiful and a deep, luxurious green that seemed sprouted from the forests of his home. It was as soft as the hair of a babe and his heart ached as he rubbed his thumbs in circles against it. It seemed like such a labor of love, but he didn't think he would ever be allowed to keep such a gift. At best it would only be taken from him once Petal returned home and wasn't around to stop them, nothing had stopped them from taking his few possessions long ago when he'd been captured.

The light blue in his eyes swirled darker, his head hung in shame as he huffed and turned his head away from her. The joy in his heart made his chest ache, and it really was such a cruel trick of life to bring him such happiness and pain at once.

"I don't need this," he growled, his hands clutching it gradually turning to fists. The slack fabric grew taut and he glowered at it like the beautiful blanket had personally wronged him by its very existence. Rage was growing in his chest, the ache of joy slowly turning to stabbing spikes of frustration.

With a grimace he pulled his hands further apart, easily tearing the blanket in a clean split before tossing each half to the ground in anger. Without thinking for her safety he reared up as high as his stall and chains would allow him, stomping down hard across the soft fabric and crushing it to the straw floor. He spaded at it several times with his hooves for good measure, like it was a lurking snake that he needed to ensure was dead.

Ko'sah didn't need such personal kindness from her, such gestures of friendship and love that wouldn't mean anything once she was gone and with her family while he would still be locked away and alone. Tears stung at his eyes as he glared at her, his eyes darting about her face and silently begging to understand why she'd done such a thing like it had been worse for her to offer her gift than for him to ruin it.

Knowing that the tears couldn't be stopped, though, he turned his side to her and turned his face to look at the rear wall of his stall. He was too ashamed to face her, he didn't want her to have to see him cry. "Just...leave," he croaked, tail swishing in agitation as a faint trembling took over his body.

GoblinFae

For the briefest of moments it seemed that her gift was well-received and Ladybird all but beamed in her excitement and joy. That smile faltered though as his hands went from caressing the soft wool to shearing it in half, the force of the movement causing the strands to pop audibly one after the other as the tension became too much and they lost the ability to cling together any longer.

Her heart screamed to see all the hours and days of her lard labor treated so callously and cruelly, to see it tossed to the floor as if what she had given him was worse than a used rag. Her brown eyes prickled with unshed tears as she struggled to remain still and impassive in the face of his well-deserved rage. He reared up before her and though Ladybird gasped at the sight, her only movement was to place a protective hand over her belly in surprise. Ko'sah ground the once beautiful green yarn into a tattered mess with his hooves, the sound of them banging and grinding on the floor like the beat of a hammer upon the anvil of her heart.

It was entirely all her fault. She had used an enslaved creature to be a pet and friend to her, promising him freedoms that were not hers to give. To him, her friendship had been unwanted and only accepted most likely out of fear of her and her vampire husband. What else was a trained dog to do but dance at its master's bidding? The very thought made her throat choke painfully for air and her chest heave with the effort to remain still and a witness to the punishment she so rightly deserved.

The moment their eyes met, Ladybird knew and understood. Her own eyes flood with tears as he bid her leave. She had not meant to make a sound but as she spun on her heel she could not help but hate herself as a weak and quiet wail escaped her lips. The door of his stall closed violently with a bang, her hands fumbling with the locks halfheartedly. She wanted nothing to do with chaining him up. He could run free for all she cared. It was all she wanted to be able to do for him after all, to set him free. The heavy lock fell with a heavy bang to the floor and Ladybird just left it there as she tearfully gave up. As fast as her ungainly body would let her, she fled the stables, burning tears streaking down her face in shame as she went.

Refusing to go into the house where her husband and the others could see and ask questions about her state of mind, the pregnant noblewoman found herself drawn to the open fields where the horses were let out to run. At least here no one could judge her or ridicule her for what she had just done. Her own mind was tearing into her plenty.

She stopped only as she came to the wooden fence and clung fiercely to it like it was her only lifeline in a swirling and roaring ocean. For several moments each breath she took was a struggling gulp for air between heavy sobs. How could she be so naive? So foolish? How could she think if she did something so insignificant that it would repair all the damage that had already been done to him?

Ladybird tore into herself for a good long while until the curious and soothing faces of the horses pressed their velvety noses against her neck and cheeks, distracting her from her own mental self-flagellation. Little by little each breath became easier and she buried her face against their warm necks and petted wherever she could reach on them.

"Thank you," she murmured softly to them, her voice sounding raw even to her own ears. "I know I am being incredibly selfish about all this. He's the one that's hurting because of me and I'm the one out here crying like a loon. I need to fix this. This is my fault and I deserve everything he hates and feels against me but, that's why I have to do it, right? Of course. He can hate me at the end of the day, despise and want to hurt me but I want to be able to go to bed knowing I own up to my mistakes, that I have honor. I will make this right."

True to her word, the next morning, Ladybird was there. The light in her was dimmed, her face solemn and ashamed as she entered the stable and took her usual spot on the bales of hay. There were no balls of yarn in her hands, a pale variegated pink this time that reminded her of wild carnations. Quietly she got to work. There was no chatter from her today as there had been in the past. She had not earned the right to annoy him and talk his ear off but she was there all the same, hurt yet contrite. The only thing she said to him was a gentle "good morning," as her fingers clicked the needles together with each knit and perl. Ladybird did not speak his name aloud. He had given that to her confidence and now after his earlier display, she did not feel worthy of uttering it. Perhaps one day she would, but that day was not today and so silently she worked.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Tags: