Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hunting & Migration (Dragonsong) [PM To Join]

Started by KingTyrant, August 12, 2017, 09:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingTyrant

Dego usually hated straying far from his home in the icy tundra, as he was very accustomed to life there, and having to adapt to the conditions of anywhere else was simply tiresome. He had grown fond of the cold and he enjoyed the grey skies, as well as the white landscape. The barren, dead appearance of it all gave him a much clearer appreciation of life, from the trees and shrubs, to the animals that feasted on them and each other.

However, he'd be kidding himself if he didn't admit why he truly enjoyed his life in the tundra. The farther you went in the icy expanse, the less people you'd see. He was fine living in a state of isolation from the outside world, especially after he had so horrifically let all of his human companions down, subjecting them to the cruelty of his former herd. It was better, this way... Being alone meant he had nobody else's lives to ruin.

But it didn't matter now. He was leaving the snow-covered landscapes and trading them for lush, green fields with butterflies and blue skies as far as the eye could see. It was a good opportunity to run into a band of travelers, or a wandering bard, all who would no doubt be crossing the mountains from Connlaoth. If the pain of being reminded about his past with people wasn't bad enough, they'd likely be so fascinated by his appearance that they wouldn't be able to resist the urge of coming up and bothering him.

All in all, he had no choice but to migrate. The caribou that frequently roamed the harsh tundra were becoming more and more scarce in number, and starvation was not the way that Dego had dreamed of dying. It was either leave and risk coming into contact with others, or be left in an icy grave in the tundra. The choice wasn't a hard one to make. It couldn't be that awful... At least he had much beauty to admire here.

The grass was greener than anything he could imagine, and the blue sky was a nice change of pace. This place was booming with innocent, diverse life in every nook and cranny, and Dego lived for this kind of thing. Especially the hunt. Animals living in this lush of an environment tended to have the richest meat... Still, he was a man of honor. Every arrow that found its target was shot for the sole purpose of survival, and the prey in question's death was given a proper send-off. For most hunters, this was extreme. For Dego, it was the only way.

Unfortunately, it was a quiet day in the valley. Few prey were out and about at this moment, and as Dego trotted along the grassy fields, bow in hand and arrow strung, it became clear that he'd have to occupy his time differently. Perhaps scope out a place to camp for the night... Sure, it was morning, but he'd rather do something productive than twiddle his thumbs!

Sandybro9001

Well now what do I do
Quietus looked past the dead cow moose in front of him, a crossbow bolt buried into its eye, to the two moose calves cowering a short ways a way. The mother had charged him and he had defended himself, but her death now left her children defenseless.
Quietus knocked another crossbow bolt and slung the bow onto his back, walking forward hands open in front of him, hoping the calves would let him close. They didn't.
What am I doing? Thought Quietus as he chased after the young moose, I don't need to help them. But he kept running anyway.

DragonSong

Meri had never seen a creature like that.

The wildcat tilted her head, ears twitching curiously, as she crept through the taller grasses, keeping her body low and silent.

A centaur? Not quite, perhaps as he lacked a horse's hindquarters... Certainly intriguing.

Was this what she'd been meant to find?

She decided on a small test. A reconnaissance, of sorts. With a soft yowl, she suddenly sprang forward, streaking through the grass toward the creature in a tan and brown blur.

KingTyrant

Dego paused, sensing something very wrong here. The air grew cold, as if nature was being disturbed in some way. That was when he heard it. The sound of the two calves. They sounded afraid. He narrowed his eyes, drawing his bow and stringing an arrow. Whoever was disturbing nature right now, he'd give them what they deserved. Well, that was the plan anyways. Until he heard the scream off to his side.

He turned quickly, a look of surprise and confusion on his face as the figure in question charged through the tall grass towards him. She was more than a blur, so he couldn't make out any features, and he couldn't tell if she was armed or not. He bared his teeth as he dug his hooves into the dirt, taking on a sturdy stance as he aimed his bow, letting loose an arrow aimed directly for her. He didn't want to take a chance if she was truly armed...

DragonSong

Sharp eyes record the lotion of his bow, and Meri flung herself sideways at the last second before the arrow was released.

Hm. Good reflexes.

She paused, still crouched in the grass and staring at him. Then slowly, she rose to her feet, shifting from cat to elven form.

"Not bad." She leaned back on one hip, cocking her head. "I thought I knew the creatures of these lands, but you are a stranger."

Sandybro9001

Quietus finality caught up to the two calves, somehow managing to our endurance them running. He wrapped his arms around the two scrawny moose and looked at the frightened things.
Okay, now what?
He hoped that there would be some way to feed them. Quietus thought back to his studies but couldn't think of anything that prepared him for this responsibility. With nothing else he could think of he took out some rope and tied it around the chest and necks of the moose calves in a sort of harness with a lead coming of each. He sat down next to them and let them rest.
Hopefully they're old enough they don't need milk

KingTyrant

As the creature moved to the side to avoid his arow, he got a better look at it. A wildcat of some kind... Well, for every prey animal, there was a predator. He was prepared to face challenges like this. He strung another arrow, his eyes widening as the creature shifted into humanoid form. He raised his brows... An elf?

Narrowing his eyes, he placed the arrow back in his quiver, but still kept a tight grip on his bow. It would have been acceptable, had she been a predator with predatory instincts, but she knew exactly what she was doing. And she could've gotten killed. "Is there any reason for this little ambush, or were you just trying to scare me?" He asked.

He knew it'd only be a matter of time until he ran into someone, but he wasn't expecting his first encounter to be so... Tense. If he was a stranger to her, then maybe it was understandable. Centaurs such as him usually weren't seen by humans, let alone elves. But still, attacking him like that was a bit much. Regardless, here they were. And it seemed like their little skirmish was all but done, so he thought he might as well introduce himself. "I am Dego-Rat Tenek. And you, elf?" He asked sharply.

As he spoke, he let his eyes wander over her form. She was not too unlike most elves he had seen. She had many of the same features, the fair skin, the narrow face, the pointed ears... The only thing that truly threw him off were the black markings that encompassed her body. They reminded him of some of the tribal tattoos and carvings that were imprinted on him during his youth in his old tribe. However, he could only assume hers meant something else...

DragonSong

His tone had her instinctively raising her hackles and a low growl rumbled in her chest. "I'd mind myself, were I you," she murmured, deceptively blithe despite the predatory tilt to her head and glint in her eye. "You've crossed into my territory, centaur, and judging by your skill with that bow I'd say that is no idle threat on your part."

It made perfect sense to her- another predator had come into the land she claimed, and she'd had to test his skill to see how much of a threat he really was before attempting a parlay.

Giving her head a quick shake, she looked him up and down and was quiet for several long moments. "Meriana," she said eventually. "I'm called Meriana."

There was a...sense about him. A tug in her chest and a sort of glimmer in the corner of her eye, like he was the remnant of a dream she couldn't quite grasp ahold of.

With a sudden certainty, she knew this creature was what she'd been sent to the edges f her territory to find. The only question now was...why?

KingTyrant

Dego raised a brow as she seemed to stare him down intently, and he could only wonder what things were crossing through her mind. At her warning, he simply rolled his eyes, coming closer to her, but remaining cautious all the same. "I'm quivering with fear." He said sarcastically.

Her territory? Somehow, he doubted that the valley belonged to this elf, but he wasn't going to argue and risk the two actually coming to blows. "If you must know, I am migrating from the tundra. Prey is scarce, and I came here so I don't starve." He told her as plainly as possible. He looked around, giving a peaceful sigh.

"This land is lush... I feel life coursing through its every vein, from the grass, to the rabbits, to the birds in the sky." He said, smiling slightly as he knelt, fingers brushing the ground as if he was feeling the pulse of life in the valley. "Much more inviting than the harsh snow."

DragonSong

Meri tilted her head and began stalking a tight circle around the centaur, observing him with sharp eyes. "Are you some sort of shaman?" she asked abruptly. "Or of a druidic nature, perhaps?"

Why in the name of all the gods had her visions led her to this creature specifically? He was intriguing enough, but she couldn't puzzle out what she was sure she was supposed to be learning.

KingTyrant

Dego chuckled, and shook his head. "No... No shaman. I am but an appreciator of life. Even yours." He explained, standing up straight. He turned in a circle, eyes following her closely as she walked around him. The action was a bit unsettling, but he didn't jump to the conclusion that she was plotting against him just yet.

"However... I think it's appropriate that I ask you that same question. Shaman? Druid? Your markings would indicate such." He said, nodding to the strange designs that stretched from chin to toe on her form. He crossed his arms. "That little transformation you made back there leads me to believe druid. But I choose not to judge books by their cover."

DragonSong

She shrugged. "Not sure there is a name for what I am. Or that I would tell you, if there were." She stopped her stalking circle and tilted her head first one way, then the other. "Then why you?" she muttered- almost growled, really.

The question didn't seem to be actually directed at him, more of a general, frustrated exclamation.

KingTyrant

Dego frowned at her hostile demeanor, shaking his head slightly. "You're very hostile... I do not see why. If I was your enemy, I would have sent an arrow through your heart by now." He said, crossing his arms. "I've given my reasoning for being here. I'm an immigrant. No enemy, just a peaceful soul who needs to eat. Unfortunately, I can no longer do such things in the tundra."

He gave it a few moments before continuing. "If you have a problem with my company, I am more than willing to defend myself. I'd hate for it to have to come to that, though." He said sincerely. It was clear that he wasn't kidding in regards to defending himself, all the same...

DragonSong

Meriana growled, the sound meant more for herself than for him, and started up her little circle again, a bit closer to him this time. She didn't seem all that concerned about his declaration of his capability to defend himself, though there was a spark of wariness to her eyes.

"Well, I was supposed to find you for some reason," she exclaimed eventually, with an exasperated huff as she crossed her arms. She narrowed her eyes at him. "All you want is new hunting grounds? That's it?"

KingTyrant

Dego failed to understand her infatuation with him. He just raised a brow at her, looking off to the side and scratching his chin in deep thought. What could he honestly say to this woman to satisfy her purpose? Whatever purpose that may have been. "Yes... I cannot think of anything more." He told her honestly.

Unless... Whatever she was looking for in him was something he was yet unaware of himself. At one point in his life, he was a teacher of outsiders, and a nurturer of all life that deserved a second chance. He had an entire tribe of followers whom he picked up on the verge of death, nursed to health and taught the ways of survival and the beauty of nature. Those days were long gone, though. Especially after losing all of them in a way he would have rather forgotten.

"I suppose the only thing I could be here for other than the game, is to enjoy the unfamiliar scenery. Such an alien environment like this is a perfect excuse to be looking for ways to better myself as a man. Forget past wrongs, and look towards a fruitful future." He said, looking towards the sky and smiling at his own hopeful thoughts.

It was amazing how a little bit of grass could bring upon these things. Though, he did suppose the snow and ice was a gloomy thing to be surrounded by 24/7. "Who told you to find me? Have I been watched by someone?" He finally addressed her again, asking a question he should have asked to start with.

DragonSong

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Meri rocked back on a heel and gave him yet another up-and-down look. "I wasn't...told exactly," she started to explain, then frowned and growled quietly to herself in frustration.

How was she supposed to explain something she didn't understand fully herself?

"I get...feelings," she said slowly, eyeing him warily. "Urges. Go here, hunt there, search. Normally, the...feelings steer me true. They guide me to lessons, teachers I might not have found otherwise." She screwed up her nose as she squinted at him. "But you...why was I supposed to find you?"

KingTyrant

Dego nodded at her in slight understanding as she explained to him why she had come. He too in his past had made journeys and looked for things without totally understanding why. It was somewhat of a gravitational pull. One that affected the mind and soul. He always saw it as the gods and mother nature working together to help one find their purpose, their higher calling. At one point in time, he thought his was all but decided. This, however, did not come to pass.

"Perhaps the gods have brought you here to me. Perhaps they believe that you and I have some sort of intertwining destiny." He proposed, crossing his arms as he began to circle her as well, doing his own fair share of examining. "Yes, I was once a teacher. A leader of those lost, out of touch with the reality of the world and all of its natural splendor. However, those days have passed, and I have refused to teach any longer. So naturally, that cannot be why you are here."

Unless... The gods wouldn't take his resolution laying down. They wanted him to guide her. They wanted him to accept his past mistakes, and move forward. But what could he possibly teach a creature that already seemed so mystifying, so powerful?

"Your stubbornness to reveal as much as a name to me won't help you learn why you were here. So, please, if you will... I would like to know about the woman that stands before me. After that is said and done, I will tell you of anything you yourself wish to know about me." With that, dego laid his deer half on its stomach in the grass, clearly intending to talk on a friendly level, not so tense as it had been.

DragonSong

Meriana hesotated for several long moments, just staring at him. Then she sighed and allowed her legs to fold beneath her so she sat cross-legged before him.

"I meant what I said," she noted with one raised eyebrow. "I'm not sure there even is a name for what I am. I didn't..." She frowned as she searched for words. "There's a clan of shapeshifters in the Draconi," she said eventually. "They can take almost any shape they want, easy as breathing. It's not taught, it's just instinct." She shrugged. "I'm...sorta like that. Except changing form takes a while for me to practice doing quickly, and it...hurts a bit until I've got it down."

She looked away, still frowning. "I'm a beastspeaker. No limitations there, I can tak with any creature I want." She shrugged again, looking more than a little frustrated. "I'm trying to— to learn more, I guess. But if you're not a Druid or a shaman, I'm not really sure what you could tell me that I don't alread know. No offence," she added a little awkwardly.

KingTyrant

"None taken." Dego told her softly, smiling as he looked towards the sky once more. He certainly couldn't shapeshift, and while he could calm and tame animals with ease, communication with them was a different story entirely. He wasn't a shaman, nor was he a druid, so there wasn't at all anything he could teach her in either of those categories.

After a moment, he looked back down towards her, clasping his hands together. "Well, you certainly are an interesting sort. One I would love to learn more about. Watch your abilities up close." He sighed, shaking his head slowly. "I cannot teach you more about any of your abilities. I am merely a woodsman. I know my way around a bow, and survival in the harshest of climates. I can teach you anything you wish to know about nature, staying dry in the rain or warm in the cold, and keeping yourself fed. Those are my talents."

He wasn't one to pry, but with all that said, only one other reason for their meeting came to mind. What was plaguing her mind? In all his years of travel and living among the wild, the men and women he met were always morally lost. Cast out from society to carve out their destiny, without knowing what that destiny entailed. He usually helped those people find their way, but he had never met one quite like this.

"I feel what you are searching for is less having to do with your skills, and more having to do with your conscience. Your mind, constantly at war over something in particular. So, I ask then, what troubles you? Certainly, there has to be more you seek than knowledge of an art you're already adept at?" He pondered, trying to be gentle with it as to not strike a nerve with her. "Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself... Is there anything you are curious to know of me?"

DragonSong

Meri frowned and looked up at him sidelong, suspicious. "No," she responded flatly, not bothering to consider if that was true or not.

Then she sighed, tried to force her shoulders to relax, and muttered, "I don't think so. I just...am...confused." The words almost ground of her. Clearly, she did not take admitting ignorance lightly.

Tags: