Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Snow? This Time Of Year? (SDB!)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, October 14, 2017, 04:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Ignatius's eyes lit up. "Yeah! I was pretty cool, right?"

"Alright, stop there. You can't ask if you were cool- you need to act like you already know."

"R-right... Sorry..."

"For the record though... You were very cool."

Practically glowing, Ignatius watched the woman stand up. "My name is Ignatius. This is Carolina." he said, gesturing to the bird on his shoulder. He took the piece of paper back from Taiga. "Lady Hildegarde has a gang to run, so she sent me! She said I'd be able to beat the dragon's sister if she showed up, so I was the perfect person for the job!"

He looked around. "Who were those guys? Their bug codenames were really lame..."

"Forget Spider and Wasp, I wanna meet stinkbug!"

"Ahahahaha! Shut up!"

Celegwen

The girl smirked when Ignatius introduced his bird. She thought it was sweet.

"I have no idea who they were," Taiga confessed. "Eckhart thought the assassin was sent from the dragon, but apparently not."

She was at a loss as to where they came from. Even more as to why they were targeting the two of them. Glancing back at Eckhart, she noticed the blade was still in his back. If there was anything she knew about assassins, they wouldn't leave their weapons behind.

Crouching down again, Taiga looked around the area without seeing anything out of the ordinary. "Uh, Ignatius, would you mind hanging around here a bit? Just to, ya know, have two extra hands."

If the kid was even slightly aware of human expression, he would notice the urgency in her voice. She couldn't outright say what she was thinking, but she hoped he was sharp enough to catch on.

"Where's Lady Hildegarde based?" She whispered. "It's important."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"So she doesn't know either? Bizarre."

"Yeah... You think it's another gang?" Ignatius waited for the bird to respond. "Um, Carolina? You okay?"

"Ignatius, that cat is giving me a dirty look."

Ignatius looked down. Sure enough, the mangy cat that had been sitting by Eckhart's side was now staring at the bird, it's eyes menacing. "Whoah. That's creepy."

"Ummm..." the teenager began, still looking at the cat. "Yeah, I can stick around for a bit. Lady Hildegarde is in Zantaric, It'll be a while before I make it back there anyway..."

Celegwen

Zantaric, Taiga thought to herself. Abri's in Connlaoth, Soreyn's in Adela...oh! Meri.

She noticed Ignatius was locked onto the cat with an unsure look. Chuckling, Taiga shook her head. "Don't worry," she said. "The kitty cat's harmless, aren't you?" She glared at Bella, silently telling her to fuck off. "It's a bird, Bella. Just stop."

Wasp crouched to the ground. "Wasp to Spider," she whispered, using Teryn's web. "Von Musel bitch is based in Zantaric."

"Melissa, get your ass moving!" She heard Teryn say. "I'm listening! I don't need you there!"

She rolled her eyes and stood up, strutting into view. "Hello, pests," she said. Wasp raised her hand quickly to Ignatius. "I'm not here to kill anyone, this time. I want my dagger back!" She pulled her last stone from her pouch and held it up for them. Little did they know, it wasn't charged. "Any of you make a move on me, I blow us all up." She walked over to Eckhart, yanking the dagger from his back and wiping his blood on his jacket. "Catch ya later." Wasp winked at them and started walking off.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"That bird isn't right." Belladonna mewled. "It smells wrong." She scoffed. "Kitty cat? Bitch, I'll show you-"

At that moment, the assassin returned and threatened to blow them up. Belladonna froze. "Shit! Now what?" Her back arched and her hair stood on end. "I have to do something! I won't get another chance like this!"

Ignatius simply smiled. "Hello Wasp!" he said cheerily. His eyes flashed towards his bird for a moment, and his grin seemed to get larger. "It's good to see you again!" Once again he glanced at his bird, and he began to snicker.

As the woman bent down to pick up her knife, Belladonna saw her chance. Mustering all the magic energy she had, she focused on the blade. For a brief moment it glowed, and the cat was able to hear a buzzing in her ears. "Perfect, that alarm spell should do the trick. Now I'll know whenever she's within one hundred yards of me."

A sudden jolt of pain in his back snapped Eckhart out of his semi-conscious state. He could feel the blood spurting put of his back, which meant that the assassin had hit an artery. With immense concentration, he channeled his magic through his back, clotting the blood in the wound. "Asshole..."

The young healer propped himself up into a sitting position. He stared at the woman, who was now walking away from him. "Hey." he muttered angrily, eyes brimming with hatred. "Don't you know first aid? That's not how you're supposed to remove a knife from a wound."

Celegwen

Wasp stopped in her tracks at the sound of shuffling. Eckhart's weak voice echoed in her ears. Did this little fucker actually just try to tell me first aid? She asked herself.

A sharp and condescending laugh escaped the woman, as she turned on her heel with her head cocked to the right. "You know I'm the one who put it in your back to begin with, right?" She flipped the stone in her hand, blowing on it and actually giving it charge. Wasp reminded them of the bomb and walked back towards Eckhart. "You know, if I didn't like this dagger so much, I would've let you keep it." Her words were laced with poison that anyone would understand.

Taiga stood near Ignatius, shocked at how confident he seemed. She gripped her staff, unsure of what she could actually do against the assassin.

She tapped the dagger on her lips twice, before standing up and securing the blade into its sheath. "You got stones, you scrawny bastard. If you didn't panic when we first met, I might've even respected you." Glancing over to Ignatius, Wasp stayed quiet. "Stay out of my way," she said simply, disappearing into the woods for good that time.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

As the woman turned to face him, Eckhart realized that it was the assassin who had taken the knife out of his back- the pain made it hard to think straight, and in the heat of the moment he thought it had been Taiga. "Shit shit shit shit shit!" he thought, panicking.

Thankfully, the assassin just mocked at him. As she turned to walk away again, Eckhart sight in relief. "Sweet Ansgar, that was too close for comfort."

"Bye Wasp! It was nice meeting you!"

The teenager's shook Eckhart a bit. Looking at the source, he saw that a member of his sisters group he had met a few months back had joined them. "Shit. Why is he here?" he thought nervously. "Oh, um, hey. You, uh, work for my sister, right?"

The teenager looked at him, slightly dissapointed. "Yeah. Didn't... Didn't you see me?" The teenagers eyes flicked towards his bird. "I mean, I totally saved your life back there."

Eckhart looked at the boy, who was currently striking a bizarre pose. "There is no way this kid beat the assassin." He looked at Taiga. "Um... What really happened?"

Celegwen

"It's true," Taiga said, relaxing. "You got stabbed, and he showed up. Saved both of our asses."

She knelt next to Eckhart, glancing over his bloodstained clothes. Could've been a lot worse, she thought. "Listen, I'm grateful and all," she started, looking up at Ignatius. "Could you not piss off the assassin?"

Teryn put his hands on his thighs, listening to Ignatius speak with Taiga and Eckhart. He muted them, switching to contact someone else. "Shards?" He said, slightly nervously.

"You didn't web her," Blex said.

"Shit. There has to be a lake or something nearby." They landed next to a shallow stream. Teryn hopped off, while the gryphon laid down. The man knelt at the edge of the stream. "Shards? Need your help." No answer. "Viv!"

The water rippled slightly to reveal the shaky image of a woman with dark golden eyes. "Don't call me that," she said.

"You didn't answer the first time," he said.

She smirked, raising one eyebrow. "You aren't my first priority. Why aren't you just meeting me?"

"I need your help."

"Obviously."

Teryn dropped his head with a grin. "I'll see you in person, but I need information on Hildegarde Von Musel."

Vivianne was silent, eyes widening like she'd just seen a ghost. "I'll have to get back to you." She waved her hand over the reflection and disappeared.

"She was acting a little weird," Teryn said.

"She's always weird," Blex grumbled, rolling his eyes.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart stared at Taiga in disbelief, than at the boy himself. "How? How did this kid beat her?" He shook his head. "How is literally everyone more capable than I am?"

"I didn't expect it either." meowed Belladonna. "Now sit back down and let me take a proper look at you."

Eckhart nodded and sat on the ground, taking off his bloodstained jacket. "Sweet Ansgar, this is gonna be a bitch to clean..."

"I wasn't pissing her off!" Ignatius said indignantly. "It's like, a code. When you're cool, you gotta talk differently." He crossed his arms. "Acting all dismissive to each other like that is a sign of respect. We recognize each others coolness, you see."

"Oh my god, Wasp is soooo hardcore! I hope I get to see her again!"

"...Yeah. I'm sure you would."

"...You okay? You sound sad..."

"It's nothing. Look at the girl, it looks like she's about to talk to you again."

Celegwen

She shook her head at Ignatius' concept of 'cool.' "Kid, you're cool. She isn't. She's insane." The last thing the girl wanted was a miniature Wasp wannabe running around.

"Taiga?" A small voice appeared in Taiga's mind. "I found Kaeligar. Are you okay?"

She breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh, Ely, you have no idea how good it is to hear your voice. If you could bring him to me, I'll love you forever."

Taiga smirked. "My sister's bringing Kaeligar back," she said to Eckhart. Her smirk disappeared when she saw Eckhart's nearly emaciated body underneath his jacket. "Goddamn, Eckhart. You'd better let me give you a meal."

Vivianne sat on her bed with her hand covering the little mirror she was using to speak with Teryn. Memories flooded her mind from a time she thought was gone and a woman she planned never to think about again. She probably already had all the answers he wanted, but Hildegarde was a part of her life that Vivianne really just wanted to leave in the past.

Why Hildegarde? Vivianne thought, flopping to her back on the bed. Of all people, Teryn. Of all people, why Hildegarde?

Eckhart_Von_Musel

As the teenager swelled with pride, Eckhart looked at Taiga with a sad smile. "You were prepared to die for me." he thought, a pit forming in his stomach. "I was going to leave you to be killed by the assassin while I ran." The boy's eyes began to tear up. "And you want to buy me a meal?"

Eckhart shook his head. "I... No. I couldn't accept it." Tears began to roll down the boy's cheeks. "You've... You've done more than enough for me. Letting you buy me food wouldn't be fair at all..."

Belladonna rolled her eyes. "By the goddess, kid! Get a hold of yourself!"

Eckhart rubbed his eyes with his sleeve. "You're- *sniffle*- you're right. I'm sorry."

Celegwen

Taiga gave a small huff, hanging her head. She wasn't exactly comfortable with emotional outbursts or anything like that, but given the fact he just came back from near death, Eckhart was going to get a pass.

"Bella, it's fine," she said with a chuckle. "Don't worry, kid. You don't have to feel guilty. I'm not buying you food. My sister would make a terrific grandmother because she always has food on her somehow. I'm good for my trip back, so you're taking whatever she brings." She stood, pointing down at Eckhart. "And that's not a discussion."

Looking at Ignatius, Taiga took a breath. Now that Wasp was gone, she didn't need the boy sticking around.

"Thanks for your help, but I've got it from here. You said you have a long trip, so I wouldn't want you held here anymore."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Ignatius crossed his arms. "Excuse me? I haven't even done what I came here to do yet!" Scowling, he walked towards Eckhart and knelt down. Pulling a piece of paper from his pocket, he handed it to the healer. "Have you seen this woman since last time we met?"

Eckhart looked at the paper, then back at the teenager. "Um... This is me...."

Ignatius flushed red, eyes darting towards the bird on his shoulder. "Ahaha! Hildegarde drew two pictures..." He rummaged through his jacket pocket, finally pulling out another sheet of paper. "Here, this is the one..." 

Eckhart's heart began to race as soon as he saw the sketch. "This..." he began nervously. "This is her..." He shook his head. "I'll tell you the same thing I told Kaida- that woman was a human. My powers work differently on dragons. It's the difference in thermophysiology that does it I think..."

The teenager froze, then turned his head so as to look his bird in the eyes. "Ummm..." he said after a few seconds. "So she's been talking to you?"

Eckhart nodded. "She showed up once, yeah. I don't think she'll be coming back though... I, ah, kinda... Threw a pot at her."

Ignatius's jaw dropped. "That is so hardcore..." he whispered excitedly. He stood back up. "Okay, that's what I needed to know." The teenager turned to leave, giving a backhanded wave as he left.

"Wait!" Eckhart called after him. The boy stopped  and looked back. Eckhart flashed him a smile. "Thank you. I mean that. And thank Hildegarde for watching out for me."

Ignatius smiled back. "Heh.... Sure thing." With that, he would walk away.

Once the teenager was out of earshot, Eckhart looked at Taiga with his eyebrows raised. "What a strange kid..."

Celegwen

Teryn switched back to spying on Ignatius. He sat near the edge of the stream, eyes glowing violet. Certain words in particular stuck with him... Kaida...dragon...powers...

The man chuckled to himself. "The junior Von Musel threw a pot at a dragon, Blex," he said with a smirk. "He's an interesting one... More than meets the eye."

"Always is with the small ones," Blex said.

"Thank Hildegarde indeed," Teryn said, muting the kid's tie as soon as he started to leave. He stood up and climbed onto the gryphon again. "We have to get back to Adela. I need to have a talk with Viv."

"She doesn't like th-"

"Yes! I know she doesn't like that name!"

Taiga watched Ignatius start off and grinned. The extremely familiar thundering of too many hooves approached. Kaeligar galloped into view, slowing as he approached. A petite girl with blue hair and a pink dress slid off of the massive horse, stumbling slightly when she hit the ground. She blinked her white eyes at Eckhart's skinny body and her sister standing beside him.

"Tai?" She asked. They hugged each other, as the new girl smiled warmly. "I brought some food." She dug in her bag and pulled out a still warm loaf of bread with a fresh block of cheese.

"For him," Taiga said. "Elysia, this is Eckhart. Eckhart, my sister, Elysia. Thank you so much, but he and I both have things to take of. It's been a hell of a day. I'll catch you up some other time."

The blue haired girl looked at Eckhart and put the food back in the bag. She placed the bag on the ground near the boy, shaking her head with pursed lips. "She won't catch me up some other time." With a slight glare from Taiga, Elysia whirled around, her dress and her hair spinning. "I'm gone! I'm gone!" And within seconds, she was gone into the woods from where she'd come.

"You're gonna be okay, kid." Taiga smirked, walking over to Kaeligar. She picked up her staff and pulled herself onto the horse, who snorted at seeing Belladonna again. "Stay safe," she said, spurring Kaeligar into a gallop back towards Hyoite.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

As the boy left, Eckhart heard a loud rumble. "Shit! Did Wasp rig something to explode?" He covered his ears, then uncovered them as he he saw Taiga's horse galloping towards them, a blue haired woman on it's back.

"Ugh, I'm never going to get over that."

The conversation between Taiga and the new girl was incredibly brief. Soon both had left, Taiga wishing him well before riding off. "Thank you!" Eckhart called after her. "For everything!"

"Crazy broad." Belladonna meowed condescendingly. "You reckon she was making up the reincarnation thing?"

"I... I have no idea. She could have been." Eckhart admitted. The healer looked around, taking in his surroundings. People had begun to gather around the inn that had been blown up, calling out for survivors. "Bella?" he asked. "What the fuck happened?"

The cat sighed. "From the looks of it, one of your sister's rivals put out a hit on you. Not Kaida." she added quickly. "The dragon had nothing to do with it."

Eckhart's eyes widened. "B-but... doesn't that mean that-"

"Eckhart, calm down." Belladonna said sharply. "We made it through the day, that's all that matters."

Eckhart shook his head. "No. It- it wouldn't end with one failed attempt. Somebody else will try to kill me- somebody who isn't a lunatic like... Wasp." The fear in Eckhart's voice as he said the assassin's name was audible. "This is just the beginning."

"That may be so." Belladonna agreed. "But let's not get freaked out just because of what the future might bring." She flicked her tail. "We could get hit by a freak storm tomorrow and die that way- no assassins involved." Upon seeing Eckhart's face grow even more worried, Belladonna changed the subject entirely. "Hey, look! Your knife wound healed!"

"What?' Eckhart reached for his back. Little more than a scab remained where an open wound should have been. "Did... did I heal it without even realizing?"

"You must have." The cat purred. "I'm impressed, I can't imagine you doing that back when we first met."

Eckhart laughed excitedly. "Hahaha! Oh Ansgar, that's awesome!" The boy's face paled. "But... my jacket..." He looked at the bloodstained fur coat, trying to see if there was a way he could fix it. His heart sank- it was damaged beyond repair. "The side is all shredded..."

Belladonna groaned. "Don't get sentimental on me, Tuna Fish. That thing was awful and you know it." She sat down, tail curling around her legs. "You finally have an excuse to buy a new one!"

"Yeah..." Eckhart said softly. "I guess..."

The healer and his familiar spent that night in town, feeling they had enough travel for one day. They would leave for Maestoso in the morning- and this time, they took a carriage.

~fin~

Tags: