Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Further Mordecai Questions

Started by Miriad_Vegetables, November 25, 2017, 11:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miriad_Vegetables

I know this topic has been brought up before, and I know that in many cases beyond the stated lore behind Mordecai that it's up to interpretation, so don't feel any obligation or go to pains over these queries.
I know that Mordecai can awaken at almost any point in life, as well as having varying ranges and strength of aura, as well as it being an ability they do not control in any meaningful way. My first question is can Mordecaism become more powerful over time in any sense?
Secondly, Mordecaism does not affect Immortal magics. Would this mean it is possible to have a Mordecai that is also an immortal magic user? I haven't seen any examples to date.

That's about it really, if anyone wants to chip in on the discussion please do, but if you think you have answers, please do! :)

-Veg

Wrathwyrm

I'm not a representative of the site.  I just have an opinion, based upon the writing.

Putting aside whether it is possible or not, I feel that the country of Connlaoth - with its fear and loathing of magical powers - would not be able to allow the double-standard to exist.  Magic users are second-class citizens in Connlaoth, if they are allowed at all, and they are as highly-feared as a witch in Salem, Massachussetts.  Such an empowered Mordecai would have to be someone either hated and reviled by his peers and fellow citizens alike...or someone made important and given the blessing of the Grand Duke himself to keep on living.

Draconian

Mordecai and adharaism are, at their core, psychic abilities.

It isn't so much an aura as it is... an umbrella. There isnt one better 'stronger' mordecai than the other, just wider and smaller umbrellas of muting powers.

Each mordecai is going to mute power as effectively as the last one. One might just mute it sooner or later depending on how close the mage gets and how wide their range is.

So - to answer questions nice and simply.
They do not become stronger. When they 'awaken' that's it. That's their range and it's just as strong muting ability as the mordecai who's been part of the army for 20 years. -- working with their range is what would take time and learning.

And....i assume they could. But if they were in connlaoth and a practicing mordecai in the army (as they generally get drafted) practicing any magic would get them dead right-quick like.

Miriad_Vegetables

Well gee I was fortunate to get such succinct replies, thanks guys, opinions and corrections all welcome. For brevity, one reply post:

Re:Wrathwyrm, that is what I thought. A Mordecai can say and is believed to receive their psionic power from Ansgar himself. So I suppose you are right. Someone, Mordecai or no, who claimed to have Holy Power from any source, including Ansgar, would still suffer the same consequences, so I think your idea is certainly the most likely way for it to be possible, which isn't to say it'll stop me making a character who believes otherwise ;)

Re:Draconian, I forget to make the distinction when it comes to all the supernatural abilities in SofE, sorry! But I understand what you're saying, it was sort of my assumption there was a varying degree of suppression as well as range to the ability but apparently not, go figure, and thanks. And again I suppose it makes sense, an exceptional person like that would have to be even more exceptionally lucky to be able to use it in any capacity, so thanks for confirming that point.

So far, amending a lot of what I had planned, so that's good! And the choice seems to have numerous options as I see it:
1) A non-practising Holy-mage Mordecai in the military/mainstream society
2) A practising Holy-caster Mordecai who is
  a) A rogue element, zealously believing they are Ansgar's servant.
  b) An Independent in another land whose birth circumstances were strange.
4) A practising Demonic-Caster Mordecai, perhaps the worst adversary possible for both sides of the current conflict, and greatest offence to Connlaoth's people.

These I think, are all rather exciting prospects, and I would be a terrible human to hog them all to myself, luckily I am a Salad 8) I'm gonna make all the characters! As well as see if this thread gets anymore input, thanks guys.

Draconian

It could be worked into being a uoky-mage-type thing in the church. But... a blessed preist thing. Which would probably make them relatively highranking. Would probably need to work out that kond of character with a mod.

The other ideas sound fun though. (8

Miriad_Vegetables

Yeah Draconian, That was the other possibility, be either the Grand Duke's favourite person, or be so high-ranked and faithful literally no one can touch you, a very significant position in the world, so thanks again for bringing that up! I might just look into doing that, once I've been a bit more active and well known, maybe gotten a cookie badge ;)

Tags: