Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Mirror Mirror in My Pocket {Eckhart!}

Started by Celegwen, November 11, 2017, 01:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celegwen

Shit, Vivianne thought, how do I answer this?

"Well, yeah," she said truthfully. "I actually used to be very powerful with illusion and tracking magic before I was trapped in the mirror." She smiled, knowing that she didn't need to lie about that. It wasn't the entire truth, but it wasn't a total lie.

"So, I am familiar with the magic theory. I just find it a bit flawed. Yes, dark magic or death magic or whatever you want to call it is generally a force of destruction, but it can be used for good. Just like healing magic is generally a pure magic, but can be used for destruction. You have to be pretty creative, but I refuse to believe that it's impossible."

I just have to keep this conversation away from me and this'll work.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"I don't want to talk about this." Eckhart thought. It was a topic that caused a lot of stress- he was already feeling a bit nauseous thinking about it. "I gotta relax. Change the subject, that will help."

"Illusion magic?" Eckhart asked curiously. "Like, full blown glamour? That's neat." The boy smiled. "Were you planning a career around it? What kind of options are there?"

Celegwen

And he's back on me, she thought with an unnoticeable sigh. Perfect. Let's see how close to the truth I can keep this...

Vivianne shrugged slightly. "I liked illusion magic," she started, "but I didn't do it too often. Most people went to the Fae people for that kind of thing. Actually, I was planning a career around my dance skill. I'm a self-taught ballerina, so I wanted to use that somehow."

With a short nod, the girl smiled in reminiscence. Nailed it.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart's face grew visibly brighter. "Really?" he asked excitedly. "But that's awesome! My big sister used to take me to her ballet practices when I was younger, it was really fun to watch!"

"Sweet Ansgar, did I just say that out loud?" The boy's face flushed red. "Um, I mean, I don't do ballet, I, ah, can't dance..."

"Please don't laugh at me..."

Celegwen

Biting back pained laughter, Vivianne smirked. Oh, I'm aware she does ballet. She wears a fucking tutu.

Not that she would admit she knew his sister, but it was a bitter sweet memory stirrer. "That's awesome!" She said. "I could teach you to dance, if you'd like." Vivianne told herself to just stop talking before she tripped over herself completely. "You have a sister? If she's anything like you, I'm sure she's an absolutely wonderful person."

Why would I say that? She thought, instantly kicking herself.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart stared blankly at the girl in the mirror. "You..." he began slowly. "...recognize the family name, don't you?" It wasn't the kind of thing the boy enjoyed talking about, but if Vivianne was going to make comments in that tone of voice, then it was better to clear the air rather than let it fester.

"With my luck, I'll find out Hildegarde put her in the mirror and Vivianne wants revenge or something." the healer thought bitterly. "Sweet Ansgar, can't I ever get a break?"

Celegwen

Vivianne rubbed the back of her neck. I have to be careful, she thought. If I don't play this right, he'll find out about my history with his sister. Gods only know how bad that would turn out...

She looked away from him sheepishly. "Well, I'm not exactly updated on all of the families... Your name's Von Musel, right?" She put on a shocked face. "Wait... The Von Musel family? You're Hildegarde Von Musel's brother?" Vivianne dropped her jaw. "No way! I've heard stories, but...wow!"

Okay, don't oversell it!

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart grimaced. "Okay, that was weird. She connected the dots way too quickly..." The boy's eyes darted to the side nervously, and he began to fiddle with his necklace. "Um... Were these good stories, or bad stories?"

"She's either gonna be afraid, or really dissapointed..."

Celegwen

"Well, both, I suppose," she said, seeing him grow anxious. "She isn't exactly a good person... No offense! I-I know she's family: I don't mean to make you feel uncomfortable."

Vivianne sighed. I don't know how much longer I can do this.

"They were interesting stories," she said finally. "Hildegarde is a powerful lady with a temper, as you obviously already know. It's just... It's hard to believe her brother could be so kind."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart gave the face in the mirror a bitter smile. "Thanks." he sad flatly. "It's nice to know the kind of expectations people have for me."

"This shouldn't surprise you." a voice in his head told him. "Your sister is a well-known murderer and drug smuggler. Of course people will look at you funnily."

Eckhart abruptly shook his head. "Sweet Ansgar, I don't want to talk about her. Can we, um, change the subject?"

Celegwen

Vivianne felt a pang of guilt when she heard the tone in which he spoke. "Sure," she said softly.

We've known each other for barely three hours! Why do I actually feel bad? The girl closed her eyes momentarily, sifting through nearby mirrors. She reopened her eyes, feeling her heart racing. I have to see how he handles lies.

"So, I wasn't completely honest with you before," she started. "I can still do one of my illusions from a mirror, but I need a large mirror so I can fit my whole body in it." She pointed to her left - Eckhart's right - to show him the full body mirror against the wall. "I didn't want to surprise you too much."

Vivianne faded from the hand mirror, reappearing in the other one. She gave a small smile and a gaseous form of her stepped out of the mirror and into the room with him. "Just, uh, don't freak out?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Standing up, Eckhart let out a quiet, confused whimper. "Oh holy hell, what the fuck is happening?" he thought, a chill running down his spine. "Um, uh, err..." the boy stammered, trying to keep his composure. "When... When were you planning on telling me this?"

"Why can't the people I meet ever be normal?"

Celegwen

"Eckhart, calm down," she said, smiling. Vivianne put her hand out, showing that she wasn't going to do any harm. In all fairness, his reaction was to be expected. It wasn't everyday that someone would be presented with that kind of new information. "There wouldn't have been any point in telling you without being able to show you. What would you have done with that piece of information?"

She walked over to him, giving another soft smile. "Besides, I thought you would feel a little more comfortable being in the same room when I did this..." Vivianne lifted slightly onto her toes and wrapped her arms around him. Because her soul was still bound to the mirror, she could only hold that form for about a minute, but it felt nice to actually be able to touch him.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Something felt off about Vivianne's demeanor as she approached. It all seemed too sudden, and without purpose. "Oh fuck..." Eckhart thought nervously as the girl's illusory form drew closer. "What if she's not stuck in the mirror at all? What if it's all a ruse to gain my trust? That could be why she was asking about-"

Eckhart lost his train of thought as Vivianne gave him a hug. It was an odd sensation- the boy could feel her arms around him, but there was none of the warmth that a hug normally brought. Eckhart gently shrugged her off of him, taking a step back. "Um..." he murmured, playing with his necklace in his hands. "I- I don't know you well enough for that yet..." The healer looked at his feet. "Vivianne... How do I know I can trust you?"

Celegwen

"How do I know I can trust you?"

Vivianne's heart fell at the question. Never in her entire life had she been plainly asked that: people usually assumed that she was telling the truth. She didn't like the question. The girl slowly shook her head with a solemn look in her eye. "You don't," she said simply.

The illusion faded, and Vivianne appeared back in the full body mirror. Don't tell him... You're doing this for him... She glanced down at her feet and swallowed nervously. He won't forgive you. Then, you'll have lost him and Hildegarde...

She took a breath and looked back up at him, shaking her head slightly. "I want you to stop trying to help me, Eckhart. I want you to go back to the inn or whatever, get Bella and pack anything you need to take with you, and leave. Get going on the road to Atlas Verde, okay? Trying to help me will only slow you down, and I don't want that."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

At first, Eckhart felt a pang of guilt- Vivianne was clearly hurt when Eckhart stepped away. She faded into the mirror on the wall, a look of sadness on her face. He was about to apologize, but then said something truly bizarre. "I can't trust her?"

It was an odd twist- Eckhart had fully expected an explanation, but he ended up getting an admission of guilt. He slowly backed away, unable to look the reflection in the eyes. "S-sorry I couldn't help..." he said quietly. "Um... Goodbye, I guess..."

With that, the boy would set the mirror on one of the bookshelves and hurriedly walk away.

Celegwen

Watching Eckhart walk away was one of the hardest things Vivianne had ever done. Last time she lost someone, she had been the one to walk away: that had been Hildegarde. To have Eckhart walk away from her was more than Vivianne was ready for.

She wanted to call out to him, but she didn't know what to say. That is...until she realized she could just be honest. Watching him leave was painful, but him dying would be so much worse.

"I'm sorry!" She called after him. "I had to lie to protect you!" The girl's chest was tight, and her lips had turned downward. "Please, hear me out. If you want to leave after that, I can't stop you. Just...give me two minutes."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart froze as the girl called out to him. "Hear her out." he thought. "Give her the benefit of the doubt."

"Don't hear her out, it's a trap." a second, more cynical voice told him. "If you turn around, she'll dig her claws into you. Your sister used to do this all the time, remember?"

"But she sounds so hurt!" Eckhart argued back. "What if she really is trying to help me?"

"She may be the one trying to hurt you. You don't know that she's not dangerous, and we already know there are people who want you dead."

"But- but she might be trying to save me from them!"

"Your sister is the one trying to keep you alive, and her goons are open about working for her." the voice reminded him. "You need to throw the pot at this dragon."

Eckhart glanced back at the mirror, his eyes watering. "I'm sorry." he mouthed wordlessly. With that the boy walked away, hating himself for what he'd just done.

Celegwen

Eckhart stood still for a moment, and Vivianne thought he was actually going to stay. The second that lasted forever was his wordless apology. She was thrown back two years to when her fight with his sister had shattered their relationship.

Vivianne watched Eckhart disappear and felt a fiery sensation grow to be a hot ball of lead in her chest. He can't leave me, she thought, her breathing rapid and unsteady. Melissa's going to kill him. I can't let that happen. The girl sank to her knees, clutching her hair in her fists to just try to think straight with her eyes watering.

Her eyes opened, and she raised her head with her lips parted slightly. She's my link.

Regaining her composure, Vivianne wiped her eyes and took a few deep breaths to calm her nerves, not that it mattered. She faded from the library's mirror, searching for the mirror that she had only appeared in once before and never expected to visit again.

Seeing the scarcely decorated room, Vivianne felt a warmth and familiarity wash over her. She didn't want to feel at home, but something about being there brought back the feelings of how close she and Hildegarde once were. Then again, she knew that the chances of this meeting going well were pretty low... Pink pillows on the couch, chemistry set in the corner... It seemed like nothing had changed. Not even the woman in the pink dress yet to look at the mirror.

"Hildegarde," Vivianne said softly, though her tone reflected her strength. "We need to talk about Eckhart."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Everything had been going great until she showed up.

It was nearing lunchtime when her "guest" arrived. Hildegarde smoothed out her dress in the mirror, having just put the finishing touches on her makeup. "There we go!" she though, a proud smirk on her face. "Now Terry will think I'm not wearing any! Maybe he'll stare at my face for once!" She had just turned to leave when she heard the voice.

"No. Fuck you."

It was a voice Hildegarde knew all to well. Memories began to flood back to her, and she was having trouble keeping her head clear.

"Vivianne you double crossing cunt..."

Whipping around, Hildegarde instinctively created a shield of chlorine gas around her. It wasn't much, but it would prevent the reflection in the mirror from seeing her properly. "Where is he?" the pink-clad woman asked, shaking with rage. "If you've so much as touched him or Sarah, I'm coming for you."