Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Nothing but a Sapling

Started by Pinfeathers, March 05, 2018, 12:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinfeathers

Saoleadh had been traveling in the wildlands for days without seeing so much as a human.  But now, she seemed to have stumbled upon something.  A road.
"Now, just where do you think this could lead to?" she asked aloud to the eagle perched on her arm, who only gave her a pointed look and shook its head, feathers ruffling.  "I'm amazed it took us this long to find some civilization.  You don't think we were wandering in circles, do you?" apparently disgruntled by the interruption of peace and quiet, the bird opened its wings and took to the sky, leaving the young Sylva alone with her thoughts. 
Saoleadh ran her fingers along the leaves atop her head, straightening them before moving on to adjust her clothes.  Want to make sure I make a good impression on anyone I happen across , she thought, and her heart began to race at the thought of meeting someone new.  She hadn't met a soul since she Awakened, and had been surviving the wildlands on her own ever since.  With a deep breath, she started along the road, unused to the sound of her feet on the paved stone. 

Pinfeathers

(( Gonna try to beef this up a bit and get some takers ))

Saoleadh let a wide grin overtake her and she skipped a bit as she walked, giddily making her way down the road.  She stopped dead in her tracks when she saw, in the distance, a great city taking up the horizon.  It was magnificent, and the young woman felt her breath leave her as she took in the sight.  "Quite a beauty," she said softly to herself, but her wonderment was shortlived. 

"You there, walking tree," came a voice from out of the trees along the road, "turn out your pockets and I won't 'ave to gut ya." A posse of three masked figures stepped out of the foliage, daggers glinting dangerously as they were slowly drawn. 

Saoleadh was startled and she stiffened up, whipping around to see who had approached her.  This was not how she had expected her first experience with another person to play out.  "I've got nothing of value to offer you," she said firmly, resting a hand on the sword at her side, "please leave me be."

"You think we haven't heard that one before?" One of the bandits chuckled.  "We just know it means you're going to put up a fight."

The young Sylva gripped the hilt of her sword, slowly drawing it from its sheath - the air rang with the sound of metal against leather.  "Let me be," she warned once more, her voice holding firm despite her lack of confidence in her ability to fight these figures.  They didn't seem to be letting up, and Saoleadh feared that she would actually have to combat them on her own.  This didn't bode well.

Kalak8538

It was a good day for traveling. The weather was fair, and seemed to remain favorable over the past few days. For a vagabond, conditions seemed to be just right to start the new leg of an aimless journey.

It had been some time since the man had departed the city. He walked slowly through the picturesque country. At first glance, one would assume this pace was set due to his advanced age. In truth, it was his choice to take to the road do slowly. There was no rush, no great desire to be anywhere so soon. Taking in everything so slowly was the best way to enjoy the trip.

The seemingly elderly man soon came in sight of the bandit gang. His eyes, hidden behind the thick shades, narrowed as he witnessed what was happening. His body was concealed in the long cloak that hung down to his ankles, parted only by one hand that poked out. A small sack was hanging limply over the same shoulder, with not much to keep it weighed down. The traveler remained emotionless as he advanced, keeping the same relaxed pace as he drew in closer. Once within earshot, he broke the silence.

"Unless these old eyes deceive me, it seems you boys are threatening a tree... Are times really so difficult today?"

The man continued to move as his own slow pace towards the highwaymen. He knew exactly what he was witnessing, but chose to employ deception until he could get a scope of what sylvan creature stood before him.

Pinfeathers

Saoleadh started as the tension was suddenly interrupted, and allowed her gaze to shift only when the masked figures' heads turned first.  Ignoring the fact that everyone seemed to think she was a walking tree, she lowered her weapon slightly to examine the approaching individual.  He seemed old - perhaps too old to be challenging a group of bandits.  "Careful," Saoleadh spoke up, "there's no need for two of us to get hurt."

"It's in your best interest to listen," said the apparent leader of the small posse, "we won't mind taking twice the valuables."

The young Sylva felt her grip tense around her sword.  If someone innocent got injured - or even killed - because of her, she didn't know how she would live it down.  This wasn't what she had wanted.  She silently made note to watch herself in the future - her desires might not always manifest in ways she could handle.  "You don't need to put yourself in danger for my sake, old friend," she said, "you best keep yourself unharmed."

Kalak8538

The old man continued to walk at his slow, calm pace. The warnings from both parties seemed to do little to deter him. His face was emotionless behind his thick glasses as he gently closed the distance more and more. Before he came just uncomfortably close to the armed men, the man paused and pulled the sack off his shoulder. The contents settled at the bottom in a lump as his arm outstretched. He was offering the sack and its contents to the thieves.

"Here. Take this for the two of us."

Inside, there was no treasure. No fortune. Only food.
Two loaves of hard bread and a few potatoes, complimented with a small amount of dried meat. Provisions for the road were being offered willingly to the men.

Pinfeathers

Saoleadh moved to stop this act of mercy.  One of the bandits gave the old man a questioning look before snatching the bag away and handing it off to one of the men next to him.
"You're lucky I'm feeling generous today," the masked man said, narrowing his eyes at the pair.  There was a moment of silence in which the group seemed to wait for what was going to happen next. "You best watch your backs next time." With a jerk of his head, he called off the rest of his group, who immediately stowed away their daggers and moved silently to the edge of the road. The posse disappeared back into the trees from which they had come. 

The Sylva turned immediately to the man that had helped her, sheathing her sword.  "My friend, I am indebted to you," she said, reaching out to take the hand of her companion, "you surely didn't need to do that, I hope it was nothing valuable that you gave them." 

Kalak8538

As the bandit grabbed at the cloth of the bag, he found it much harder to take possession than was anticipated. It was stuck in the man's iron grip, one his age did not seem capable of. He was pulled in somewhat closer by a subtle display of strength.

"This is more kindness than you may deserve..." he said quietly for only the two to hear.

"Feed yourselves, then find honest work."

With that, the old man released his hold, allowing the thief to pull the sack away sharply. He stood resolute as they disappeared into the underbrush. Attention now fell on the woman as she approached.

The elder scanned inconspicuously through the thick glass of his shades. He compiled mental notes for himself on what creature stood before him. It was not hostile and rather intelligent, wielding a sword in its defense instead of natural weaponry of magic. Before long, she spoke and demonstrated its knowledge of the common language. There was a simple sense of etiquette it her voice. It must have been around humans before...

"Fret not. It is the duty of any decent individual to assist where help is needed." his hand met hers, and he bowed his head in a polite gesture. He stood once more with an elegant, almost regal poise.

"Hard times fall upon us all, and some turn to more... disrespectful methods to get by. There was nothing but food inside. Not much, but enough to last them a day or so. I only hope they are as receptive to that kindness as you are now."

The first sign of emotion appeared finally as a small smile grew on the man's face.

Pinfeathers

At the sight of the newcomer's smile, Saoleadh relaxed a bit, and she grinned slightly in return.  "I appreciate your sacrifice on my behalf," she said, genuinely grateful.  She found herself... intimidated by his posture, but in a way that would elicit respect from her rather than fear.  She took a moment to take in the stranger - glasses hid his eyes, which found her a little uneasy, but she kept her expression and released the man's hand.  "What is your name, my friend?" she asked, "where are you headed? Perhaps we can walk together."  After a slight pause, she caught herself and spoke up again, "but of course, I suppose you're wanting to know who I am," she sheepishly brushed some leaves out of her face, rather embarrassed that she had rushed right into his new meeting.

"My name is Saoleadh.  I've been Awake for about a week now.  You're the first person I've met.  Well, the first person I've actually gotten a chance to introduce myself to.  It is a pleasure.  Are you a human?  I was hoping I'd meet a human first, in all honesty."

She was invigorated, excited about this new meeting, the prospects it entailed.  Perhaps this person could become a companion for her.  Perhaps they would adventure together, or even meet others to go with them on their way.  But of course, she thought, she was letting herself get carried away.  This old man was probably out for a picnic, and didn't do much adventuring.  Perhaps he could show her the way into the city, at least, and she could remember him fondly.  Yes.  That sounded alright to her.  She took note not to get her hopes up like this. 

Kalak8538

The elderly man held his disposition quite stoically as he was bombarded by the hasty inquiries and introduction. He took each in turn, processing each exited statement in his mind before making any response. The more this creature spoke, the more it revealed, and the more mystery it seemed to weave around itself. At the very least, it was not dangerous. Excitable, but not dangerous. Once the man could get a word in, he began speaking simply and politely.

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Saoleadh... You may call me Mister Ikka." he said with a slight and gentle bow of the head.

"Tell me first, if you do not mind... What brings a being such as yourself to this land of Serendipity?"

Pinfeathers

Saoleadh had seemed ready to jump into a next array of questions after the man responded to her, but she was taken aback.  Somehow, she had given extensive thought to how much she'd like to know about the others she met on her journey, but hadn't spared consideration for how people might feel about her.

"O-oh, me?" She seemed flustered once again, as she had neglected to put much thought into this herself.  "Well, as I said, I did Awaken just a few days ago, so everything here is new to me.  Somehow, though, I have a fair idea of what's what." she put a finger to her lips in thought, and looked off into the distance, past Ikka. "But I didn't know what this place was even called.  Serendipity..." she seemed to be doing some serious introspection before she yanked herself out of it and looked back up at the man.  "I don't know much, I'm afraid to say.  I just know I wasn't here and then I was." she laced her hands together behind her back and rocked on her heels, as though a bit nervous. 

Kalak8538

A curious creature indeed... Mr. Ikka wanted nothing more than to pick the brain of the woman before him, but common decency would not allow it at the moment.

"That is alright. Here, walk with me."

The man extended a hand beside himself, gesturing over the road they were walking.

"We can talk on the way. Let us get you situated."

He waited for Saoleadh's lead before beginning the walk himself. He had just come up this road after leaving the city in the distance. Yet, he did not mind going back. He had no destination in the first place, and this way he could replace the supplies he had just given away.

Pinfeathers

Saoleadh smiled at the offer, and took up the pace she had started before being so duly interrupted by the bandits - not too fast, but not without purpose.
"It must be strange to encounter someone like me," She said thoughtfully, "I'd never considered it before.  I admit I had been thinking so much about my side of things."
She looked over at her companion.  "What had brought you out here on the road?  I do hope I'm not interrupting your travels," she said, raising her hand slightly apologetically.

Kalak8538

Mr. Ikka chuckled softly as the two continued towards the town.

"In my travels, I have seen many things." he responded jovially.

"Some would call it strange, sure... However, my opinion is such atypical sights in this world make traveling worthwhile."

The man's pace slowed subconsciously. It was not from apparent age, nor exhaustion from walking all day. It was simply a unwillingness to hurry or rush in any way.

"That is what I do, my dear." he said, turning to look mat Saoleadh.

"I travel. Going where I please, encountering all the world has to offer one step at a time."

Pinfeathers

Saoleadh nodded thoughtfully, looking up at Mr. Ikka with curiosity. 

"You must have seen the entire world and more," she said, a hint of jealousy to her voice.  She slowed down to match the older man's more leisurely pace, and let her eyes wander to the city in the distance. 

"I've never been to a city before," the young woman said matter-of-factly, "I'm eager to know what it's like."  After thinking a moment, she asked the man a question, "Will you tell me about some of your travels?  What have you learned from so many years?  And why have you traveled for so long?"

Kalak8538

"There will be time to discuss that..." the man answered, politely deflecting the question.

"This city is a decent enough place. One can find most anything they are looking for there."

His demeanor became a little more serious then. Although not enough to completely change the mood of the walk, the slight shift in tone was noticeable as the man continued his speech.

"However, no place where people gather is without its little risks... Forgive any rudeness, but I know not how well received a new sight such as yourself will be. Of course, no one should bother us unless we first engage. If anyone should seem uncomfortable, it is best to simply keep our distance."

Tags: