Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

When Winds Wonder (DragonSong)

Started by quaggan, April 28, 2018, 09:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

It looked like the djinn was used to being obeyed - no wonder, considering the power he had at his disposal. The woman - who was apparently known under the name of Lapis Lazuli, a gemstone he was familiar with - was more skittish. Probably she wasn't used to having a djinn at her bidding - but this wasn't the time to analyze the situation.

"He's right" he remarked. "After all, I don't know how many wishes do you have left - or if you've even made one in the past that would keep you safe from any actions on my part. I would be a fool to proceed with any discourtesy when you've shown yourself capable of retaliation I have no way of defending against."

He carefully shifted position to be able to reach behind his neck and take the amulet off. It was, in a way, the right thing to do - she was the rightful owner, and the purchase wasn't valid to begin with if the pendant was stolen. He just hoped his men could find something that looked similar enough for him to wear, just to spare Mirza's feelings.

He held onto the chain and carefully pulled it off. He would have given it back, but Zahir was rather tall and Faysal couldn't reach his hand, not from this position. The djinn didn't look like the twitchy sort, but in this situation it was better to play it safe. "May I?" he asked, gesturing to his crutches, fallen to the floor. "My arm isn't long enough to hand it over from here."

DragonSong

Lapis gasped softly and eagerly reached out for the pendant, sighing in relief as the chain pooled into her palm. She clasped it quickly around her neck and let the amulet slide beneath the collar of her blouse.

"Thank you," she whispered, trying to smile at Faysal. Zahir huffed and rolled his eyes, muttering something about stuttering mortals.

Lapis glowered at him, then looked back to the mortal man with wide eyes as he asked for his crutches. "Oh my-- of course, I'm sorry!" She darted forward to snatch them up, turning to hand them back to him with a soft blush.

quaggan

Faysal took the crutches from Lapis and carefully manoeuvred himself into standing position. The woman looked just happy to have the amulet back - no wonder, considering the advantages it must have given her. The djinn looked annoyed, but not enough to use his power and smite the frustrating mortals. It was enough.

"Is there anything else you'd like me to do?" he asked. It wasn't an attitude he had to assume frequently, but he preferred to play it safe.

DragonSong

"Oh-- no, no, thank you!" Lapis gasped out, eyes wide. As though suddenly remembering, she drew in a sharp breath between her teeth and grabbed for her coin purse. "Here, I can-- I'm sorry, I won't be able to completely reimburse you, but I have some--"

Zahir sighed and rolled his eyes. "Gods sakes, girl, relax. The prince just asked you if you wanted anything from him-- take advantage." He smirked. "That right there is like having your own personal genie."

Lapis snapped her mouth shut and glared at the djinn, her expression silently screaming, Fuck off.

quaggan

It appeared the djinn's sense of humour was more inclined towards jokes and playful comments than violent dismembering. The woman was clearly unused to having someone so powerful at her beck and call - she was very nervous, and she stumbled over her words when choosing a term of address before. The analysis led Faysal to proceed with a bold move.

"Well, not everything" he clarified. He would have shrugged, but he had to unlearn a lot of unnecessary arm gesticulation when standing. "If you asked me to dance nicely, I wouldn't be able to comply. But I could hire a professional who would handle such a request far better."

DragonSong

Lapis choked on a surprised giggle, and blanched. Oh gods, she'd just laughed at him.

Zahir had no such restraints, chuckling with an almost boyish grin and a glitter in his eyes. "Oh, I like you," he praised, rocking back on a heel.

Lapis glowered at the djinn, then looked back to Faysal. "I'm really, really sorry about him," she muttered despairingly under her breath. "He's just...sort of like this. All the time."

"Oi." Zahir pouted and wound himself around the tiny scholar with catlike grace, winding up with one arm around her waist and his hand splayed over her belly, the other arm draped loosely over her shoulder. He blinked at her beseechingly. "That's not very nice, Lapis. After all I've done for you..."

Very red in the face, though thankfully her darker complexion hid the blush somewhat, Lapis shoved him away, swearing colorfully in Old Serenian-- her favorite language for cursing, as it was delightfully descriptive.

Zahir just laughed and pecked her cheek, looking back up at Faysal. "Can't do a thing with her. So. You have been very nice about this whole thing. What exactly are you aiming for?" Though he was still smiling, his eyes were suddenly dark and cold. "And don't lie to me. I hate it when people do that."

quaggan

Faysal considered leaving - it looked like both the djinn and his holder could entertain each other well, and if they had any needs that had to be met, they would have spoken up about it already. The woman, Lapis Lazuli, appeared to be content to just have the pendant back, and Zahir either wasn't the type to exact elaborate vengeance on anyone who crossed his path, or was plotting in silence and there was nothing to be done about it.

The djinn's cold gaze met his. There was nothing to do but to tell the truth. After all, the way the situation unfolded so far, there probably shouldn't be any advantages to divulging it.

"Aiming for? I suppose I am motivated by common sense" he responded. "I am Essyrni, I know about the power a djinn wields. I doubt all the wealth my family's amassed could do anything to stop you, should you decide to turn your attention to me. I believe that acting accommodating and assisting you is one way to get out of this... situation with my life intact. This is what I'm aiming for."

DragonSong

"Mmmm..." Zahir's lips began to curl into a smirk. "In that case..."

He looked down at his mistress, and Lapis felt her stomach drop. Oh dear...

"Weren't you just saying how much you wished you could afford a nicer inn while we get out business sorted?" the djinn noted, almost sing-song. He looked back to Faysal. "Don't supposed your lordship could put us up for a few nights? In exchange for a favor, of course."

"Zahir--!" Lapis stared, mouth agape. What was he thinking?!

quaggan

That was a better offer than he expected - but he wasn't about to complain. "Of course. It shouldn't be any trouble." Covering a stay at a good inn would be but a drop of water in the ocean of wealth his family had access to. Even if he had to cover the expenses for Lapis Lazuli's entire life, it wouldn't be a problem. But it probably wouldn't come to this - Zahir mentioned sorting business out, which implied a temporary stay. The difference in expense wouldn't matter, but Faysal believed there was no detail not worth knowing.

"I will have my people search for a suitable place. Once found, I will send someone to let you know. Is it acceptable?" he asked.

DragonSong

"Ahhhh, I think you can do better than that," Zahir purred, and suddenly his affections were transferred from Lapis to the merchant prince. He leaned down into Faysal's personal space, a smile on his lips but his eyes hard and cold.

"I'm sure how have some spare rooms in your little merchant palace, don't you?"

Behind him, Lapis nearly fainted in a combination of shock and fear.

quaggan

Perhaps he should have figured this out earlier. Still, the poor Lapis Lazuli looked rather uncomfortable with her djinn throwing his weight around, leading Faysal to offer a solution that offered more independence and less stress. But maybe he was working with a wrong foundation to begin with. This whole idea was Zahir's to begin with, and he should have been aiming to satisfy the djinn's demand.

"I should have" he responded. The Palace was quite spacious to fit the entire family - especially all of Zaahir's wives, for someone unwilling to have any more children, the Merchant Prince sure kept busy... "We have plenty of guest chambers that mostly go unused this season. If you'd like, I can show you. There should be plenty for you to choose from."

DragonSong

"That would be just lovely, thank you," the djinn purred. He reached back casually to grab Lapis's shoulder and pulled her forward under his arm, pressing a bizarrely affectionate kiss to the top of her head. "See? Things have a way of working out, don't they?"

Lapis blinked wide eyes at Faysal, mouthing, I am so so sorry.

quaggan

He almost began to feel bad for the woman. The djinn was clearly making her uncomfortable - Faysal had a feeling that Zahir made an art out of frustrating people. Maybe it was the influence of the name. Still, he couldn't help but see the point to it. There was little djinns could do to prevent their power from being abused - but if they made such nuisances out of every interaction, at least their master wouldn't summon them for every little thing.

He brought up one of his crutches and knocked on the wall to signal his men. Hasan approached, opening the door. He backed away in surprise at the sight of Zahir. "Who are you?! How did you get here?!"

"Stand down" Faysal commanded. "The answers to these questions are none of your business. I did not expect your security to be so airtight to stop him from coming in, and I won't hold you responsible." If they believed that the unruly djinn and his victim-slash-mistress were working for him, they wouldn't ask questions. The last thing a sensible Essyrni wanted was becoming embroiled in Merchant Prince politics, where knowing just a little was enough to spell someone's death.

It would be rude to keep his new 'guests' waiting just because getting through the warehouse took time. Faysal sent Hasan ahead to instruct the slaves in front of the warehouse to let them inside the litter. It was rather spacious, so three people should be able to fit in without any problem. He had a feeling that Zahir would not take well to being dismissed for easier transport, so he decided against suggesting it. A cautious person could take it as an attempt to get rid of the djinn in order to attempt something dangerous - it was best not to antagonize a being that could erase him from existence with but a flick of his finger.

When he finally made his way outside, he found his personal guard lacking in numbers. Anticipating his question, Brahim approached and performed a quick bow. "The shadows lengthened, so the naqib decided to take Master Mirza back to the palace so he wouldn't be late for his history lessons."

That would explain it. Faysal let out a sigh of relief - he would have preferred not to make up a story in order to explain the presence of his new guests to Mirza. He would have to later weigh the benefits and drawbacks of this situation, decide whether to reward Ali for taking the initiative and sparing the family from having to look for a new, less fussy about punctuality tutor - or whether to punish him for acting without his leave and making decisions that weren't his to consider.

His guests have already taken their places in the litter. Faysal sat in the corner, putting his crutches down, and gestured for the slaves to lift. The crowds have thinned a little, although not enough for a foreigner to notice. While the congestion wasn't so thick that they couldn't move, it was rather slow, despite the best efforts of the guards.

Looked like he wasn't the only highborn visiting the market today. He could see another litter floating above the sea of people. The colours and heraldry indicated that the people inside were probably the family of Merchant Princess Ghada al-Budur. Zaahir was working with her on a deal concerning her exclusive trade routes, which meant that it was also in Faysal's best interest to treat those temporary allies well - even if the agreement fell apart, it was best not to make unnecessary enemies.

The other litter got close enough for him to recognize the two women sitting inside. They were giggling at each other, casting dirty looks at the djinn. This was, perhaps, to be expected, considering Zahir's outfit and appearance.

"Oh, is he yours?" one of the women asked, leaning over to speak to Lapis. "Would you be willing to part with this fine specimen for an evening? I'll pay well - and I promise to give him back unharmed!"

DragonSong

Lapis squeaked softly but didn't protest as she and Zahir were ushered toward the litter. The djinn reclined with a satisfied sigh, waiting for their host, but the scholar couldn't drop the tension from her shoulders. A small part of her couldn't help feeling like she just didn't belong here-- odd meetings and extortion by a supernatural creature aside, being born a slave seemed to be something she just couldn't forget.

But she'd be damned if she let anyone else notice.

So she tried for a polite smile when Faysal entered the litter, and she pressed a little closer to the lazily sprawled Zahir as they started moving. Eventually, the rocking motion started almost to lull her, and she found her head nodding toward Zahir's shoulder.

Then a new voice, a request that had her hackles raising.

And suddenly the shy, stuttering girl was nowhere to be found. Eyes snapping fire, Lapis gave the two merchant ladies a grin that could only be called "savage", more an expression of bared teeth than a real smile. "His is not for sale," she hissed. "And I should certainly hope anyone who entered your bed would leave it unharmed."

The meaning in her voice was all to clear. Gods, she hated people like that.

To her small surprise, Zahir said nothing, simply smiled politely at the rather dumbfounded women who'd expressed an interested in him. Rather than speaking up, he just laid his head in Lapis's lap, mindful of his horns, and nuzzled gently at her hip.

Almost too soft for her to hear, he whispered, "That's my girl." Her hand came to rest on his shoulder protectively, eyes narrowed as she stared the women down.

People like this were all too used to getting what they wanted. She wasn't entirely sure how they'd react to being turned down.

quaggan

It didn't take a titan intellect to know their reaction even before their exploded. Aaminah al-Budr just stared, mouth open and an expression of perfect shock on her face. It was clear that she certainly didn't expect such a response, such a clear refusal rather than bargaining that was supposed to follow. For a second, Faysal hoped that she was too shocked to react - perhaps the litter would move away and the divine would decide that this day had enough catastrophes. Unfortunately, Aaminah wasn't alone - her cousin Salima was sitting by her side, and it so just happened that Salima was a far quicker thinker, and valued family honour too much to accept even such a disappointment as Aaminah being refused in public.

"I am surprised to hear that" Salima remarked in a level and controlled tone. "I was under the impression, Master Faysal ibn-Zaahir, that you and your household were open to civil negotiation and bargaining. Looks like I would have to revise my opinion."

Oh, she wouldn't get him with such a simple ploy. "I'm afraid this is no grounds for you to change your mind, Mistress Salima bint Thana" he responded. "I would think that someone as acquainted with my family as you would be able to recognize any member on sight, and thus be able to tell them from others. Neither I nor my father force our allies to make any deals."

Salima clucked her tongue. "What surprises me most is that you don't even make an effort to produce a proper response. I feel for Prince Zaahir, forced to use you as his heir..."

There was no point in getting provoked. Salima wasn't foolish enough to say it to Zaahir's face, (un)fortunately. Faysal bit back a retort - it was quite obvious that prolonging this argument would only end badly. Better to remain quiet and let her have her victory. He leaned back and waited for either his or theirs slaves to carry them away.

The universe decided to grant him a little reprieve, and they separated before Salima decided she wanted to continue this useless spat after all, or before Aaminah spoke up again. Faysal reached for the curtains of the litter, about to draw them. "That should prevent most people from bothering you."

DragonSong

Lapis-- now slightly curved in on herself, cheeks ruddy with a blush-- hardly seemed like the young woman she'd been only moments ago.

"I, um...I'm sorry," she murmured as the curtains were drawn. "I d-didn't mean to...cause you trouble..."

Zahir snorted and wriggled around so his head was cradled more comfortably on her lap. "Oh, hush. You so rarely speak up for yourself, honestly it was just fun to watch."

quaggan

Faysal just shook his head. "If I can't handle the trouble, then I don't deserve the position I've been given." It was almost a family creed. Of course, he wasn't so short-sighted to extend such world-view to everyone around him, but it was still he applied to himself quite frequently. He leaned back against the silk and closed his eyes. It would probably be rude to stare, and while his litter seemed spacious and wide when he was the only person inside, adding more complicated things.

He breathed a sigh of relief when they arrived safely at the House of Eternal Sun. The litter was put down on the hot white stones of the courtyard in order to allow the guests to leave. Faysal waved away the slaves approaching with the smaller sedan chair - he wanted to show the guests around, and the less people knowing about their presence, less chance for trouble. He reached for his crutches and began getting up, as he took in the familiar surroundings.

The expansive courtyard was framed by lush greenery. His ancestors spent a fortune on procuring and maintaining plants to decorate their home - a clear show of wealth and power. Only one place was barren - Zaahir wanted to bring some exotic plants from other countries, but the hot desert climate killed them. They were trying to procure replacements in order to patch up the gap.

DragonSong

Lapis and Zahir peered our of the litter with an almost comically identical curiosity, looking around. The djinn was the first to seemingly deem the place acceptable, shrugging and climbing to his feet.

Lapis hesitated, glancing st their host's crutches. "Are you, um...you don't have to walk with us, if you'd rather not. We've asked a lot of you already," she murmured softly, ducking her eyes.

quaggan

"Well, I still have to find a chamber suitable for you, and this isn't a duty I'm willing to delegate to staff" he pointed out. He had a feeling that his troublesome guests would appreciate privacy - less slaves gossiping about them, the better. And, judging by Lapis Lazuli's reaction to Aaminah, perhaps he should also make sure that they wouldn't have to interact with his family.

He moved the weight of his body onto one crutch and tapped the end of the other against the floor to draw the attention of some of the slaves who were still loitering around with the sedan chair. "Find someone discreet who's been working here for at least two months" he commanded. "Send them to the east wing to find me and receive orders."

He turned back to his troublesome guests. "Please follow me. I'll show you the guest chambers. Do you have any preferences regarding accommodations?" How much beds would be required? Did a djinn even need sleep?

DragonSong

"Oh, no, really you've done so much already--"

"Yeah, you got some of those silk sheets or something?" Zahir cut Lapis off, tossing an arm around her shoulders. "Maybe one of those slinky little negligee-- oof!"

Lapis drove her elbow into the djinn's cut, scowling at him through her blush. "Actually, if you had two separate rooms, that would be lovely."