Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

When Winds Wonder (DragonSong)

Started by quaggan, April 28, 2018, 09:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

"Princeling" the boy corrected him with the emphasis of a child who mistakenly believed that having learned enough complicated words would earn him the right to be on the level playing fields with adults. "I am Mirza ibn-Zaahir, son of the Merchant Prince who owns this palace, and Lady Safiyyah."

He frowned. "Well, now you don't have to ask. Unless you want to, but I will probably ignore it. I don't like repeating myself. But I do, because there is a limited amount of words in our language and I'm bound to keep repeating them. It would be nice if more synonyms existed."

DragonSong

The djinn's eyebrow quirked even higher. "That so?" He folded his arms and leaned back on one heel, tilting his head. "Perhaps you should learn other languages then. Use those words instead of synonyms."

quaggan

The boy's eyes lit up as he pondered this new idea. "A new language!" he exclaimed, his voice taking on an excited tone. "Finally I could tell people openly what I think and they wouldn't scold me for it!" He truly seemed taken with the prospect.

Suddenly, his face fell as something previously unknown made its way to his mind. "But my tutors say that barbarian tongues sound like the howling of baboons and the yipping of jackals" he pointed out. It probably wasn't surprising that the household of a Merchant Prince would hold such opinion of what was foreign.

DragonSong

Rather than get irritated, Zahir laughed and bent slightly so he was closer to the child's level.

"Perhaps you should get a second opinion," he said in Ancient Sylvan, a language common in Serendipity the last time he had been there but had likely nearly died out by now. Each syllable was the trickle of a stream over stone, silver winds through emerald leaves.

quaggan

The boy's eyes widened in amazement, growing bigger with every word that tumbled out of the djinn's mouth. Clearly, he's never heard Ancient Sylvan before. "What- Is that even a language?" he demanded, the tone of his voice mellowing from commanding to curious. "Are you a singer? Some kind of a performer?"

DragonSong

"I have been" Zahir replied with a crooked grin. "Could be again, I suppose, if it was called for. And yes, that's a real language. Used to be spoken all over Serendipity, but I'm not surprise it's not really spoken down south."

quaggan

The boy's forehead creased as he recalled the name of Serendipity. "I remember the name - it was a former colony of ours" he stated. It was a rather low-risk bet to make - there was little that the ancient Essyrn empire hasn't covered at some point. "Well, I suppose it's a good thing that our forces aren't about to re-conquer the north any time soon" he stated.

His gaze finally left Zahir's unusual form, sweeping all over the hallway. What he saw - or didn't see - soured his mood, but he didn't stay upset for long. He plopped down on the ground. "I'd offer you a place to sit, since I'm the host here, but you'd be uncomfortable. The floor is cold" he stated, clearly displeased with its temperature. "I should have people put up some ottomans around."

"Are you here to entertain for a feast?" he asked. "I didn't hear of anything being organized... And can you teach me more of that language? It doesn't have articles, does it? It's a very strange concept, I think. Why would people need an additional word to know what is a noun?"

DragonSong

"Is that how you see the world?" Zahir's tone was not accusatory, merely curious. "As what was once-Essyrn and what was not?" He chuckled softly and shook his head. "That is rather limiting."

Rocking back on his heels, he added, "No, I am not here as an entertainer. My mistress is perusing the library. I was told not to make a nuisance of myself."

quaggan

The boy didn't react like a spoiled rich brat; rather than assert the superiority of his way of viewing the world, or describe the greatness of the former Essyrn empire; he just nodded. "Grown-ups always choose such weird categories to put the world in" he commented. "There are better points of view - such as how many arms people have or whether they think zero deserves to be a number." His gaze focused on Zahir. "Or what language they speak. I imagine you'd get more points than I, since I can't speak a word of... Ancient Sylvan, was it?"

DragonSong

"Yes, Ancient Sylvan. Not many people speak that anymore though," the djinn replied with another quirked smile.

quaggan

"Why don't they?" the boy's interest quickly swung from complaining about grown-ups back to the peculiar language. "Did the Serendipitians conquer them?" His question probably wasn't surprising - Essyrni history was rife with invasions, and there were more important things to teach to princelings than the proper form of 'citizen of Serendipity'.

DragonSong

Zahir shrugged. "No, not as I understand it. I wasn't there of course-- busy at the time, you see. But most Serenians just...sort of evolved, I believe. Many still have fae ancestry."

quaggan

"So languages do evolve!" he exclaimed, satisfied. "My tutors keep saying that only a barbarian would contaminate their language with impurities. I keep saying that languages are living things, like people. They evolve, and they infect living beings. Like diseases." He looked very pleased. "Hey, can you come with me and tell that to my tutor? I want to see her face when she finds out she's wrong. I will reward you, of course."

DragonSong

The djinn smirked. "Oh, I believe I would like to see that as well," he chuckled.

With a deep, sweeping bow, he smiled at the boy. "Lead on then, young master."

quaggan

The boy turned around and began walking through the hallway. His steps carried confidence and poise - he clearly expected everyone else to get out of his way, rather than force him to make a detour. He didn't cast a single glance back to check if the djinn was following him - either he was clearly accustomed to people following his orders, or simply his ears were good enough for him to hear Zahir's footsteps.

There were slaves in the hallways - cleaning up the floor, running errands, carrying various items. All of them hurried to get out of the boy's way, dropping into quick bows as soon they saw him; though for all the attention he paid, they could as well have ignored him. The merchant princeling's gaze went past them as if they were just pieces of furniture. One might find his behaviour rude, but when considering what a master's attention could mean, perhaps it was for the best.

He led Zahir under a glorious arch, carved out of marble into a shape of a great serpent bending over the hallway. It led to a passage open to the sky, in a way - rather than a solid, impenetrable ceiling, it was covered by finely cut glass. It was no monolithic pane, but a mosaic of meticulously carved tiny pieces, arranged in a pattern that was impossible to discern when looking up, but quickly became apparent when turning one's gaze to the floor. There, on modest gray stone, fell the light filtered through the glass and shaped into dancing images, marred whenever someone passed through. At the other end of the path, there was only a muddy haze - probably a consequence of the cloud drifting across the sky.

Beyond the passageway, there was only one more stairwell to descend. The boy didn't let on that they were getting any closer to their destination, but as they rounded a corner, they happened upon an agitated older woman. Upon seeing the boy, she gasped and hurried towards him, as quickly as the embroidered fabric of her robe allowed. "Young master Mirza!" she gasped. "Here you are- I thought- Where-"

"Well, I suppose now that the speech lesson is over, you don't have to give me a good example to follow" he sighed. "What happened to 'subject, verb, object'? Actually, never mind. I'm not here for it anyway."

The woman calmed down enough to notice Zahir. Her eyes bulged out of her sockets as she stared. Several seconds elapsed before she got her libido in order enough to realize that she probably shouldn't succumb to lust in front of her pupil, leading her to look away immediately.

DragonSong

The djinn merely smirked and rocked back on his heels, glancing down at the boy and paying the woman no attention whatsoever.

"Is this your tutor then, lad?" He finally glanced up at the woman, looking her over critically. "What exactly am I meant to tell her?"

quaggan

The woman's expression was a mix of displeasure at being ignored and a clear battle against her common sense reminding her that getting involved with someone who looked like either a member of the Merchant Prince's household (but dressed a member of a harem!) or an honoured guest.

"That is her indeed. Allow me to-" he stopped, never finishing his line. "Actually, why should I be the one playing the herald in my father's house?"

His words crossed from playfully petulant to almost bullying when he continued. "And to think you tried to drill me on the importance of proper introductions and etiquette... That's quite a sorry example you set for me to follow. I'm sure my father would not be pleased, considering what a stickler he is for tradition."

The woman grew pale like the midday sky. "I- That's-" She quickly reached the conclusion that the quickest way to end this humiliation would be to play along. "That's - I'm Vida Zhaleh, tutor to young master Mirza."

The boy folded his arms and gave her an examining stare. "Well, this isn't quite the proper introduction you tried to make me memorize..." Fortunately, his childlike impatience won over pettiness, and he turned to respond to the djinn. "But do forgive my rudeness, I still need to give you an answer. I should like you to repeat your say on the matter of language."

DragonSong

Zahir watched the exchange with one eyebrow elegantly arched, head tilted slightly to the side. He had no stake in this particular game, as it were, and it occurred to him that it might be rather fun to play both sides of the field for a moment.

"Ah yes, about the evolution of languages, was it?" Zahir knelt to be on the young prince's level and cocked his head up at his tutor, lips curled to one side in a half smile. "I've been informed that you may have been...misguided in your lessons to this young man, fair lady," he mused, eyes dancing. "Essyrni itself has gone through at least three major linguistic upheavals in the time that I have spoken it."

He suddenly looked to Mirza again, smile still in place but something in his expression a little...firm. "It seems that one aspect has not changed-- those in power still feel the need to assert themselves over those they rule, both in language and in deed." His brow furrowed slightly and he lowered his voice just a bit. "Do you not think you could be kinder to the lady? She is only human, and you all make mistakes." 

quaggan

"I think I could" Mirza answered, with gravity implying that his answer pertained to grammar rather than semantics. "Of course, the question of who is weak and who is strong, is a complex one, wouldn't you agree? While it is true that I outrank her in status, but in a fistfight you could overpower me - you're a grownup, I'm just a kid."

She gasped. "I would never dare raise a hand against one of such noble blood! And brawling like a thug is beneath my dignity!" The part where it was also beneath his dignity went unsaid, either because she was not partial to uttering the obvious or because she did not want to hear the wisecrack he probably had prepared.

Mirza looked like he had just the perfect retort ready for unleashing, but held his tongue and glanced at Zahir, giving him a silent 'I tried being kinder and all I got is this dumb look on my face'. But there was still a sparkle of interest in his eyes. "Are you also a tutor, sir? Your knowledge and way of scolding gives such an impression..."

DragonSong

Zahir chuckled, eyes flashing for a moment, almost...animalistic. "I have been, in the past," he responded evenly. "Currently, however, I am...something of a wanderer, I suppose. My companion, the young woman with the striking colors in her hair--she may be more suited for an occupation such as tutoring."