Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Return to Blood [M][DragonSong]

Started by Lowen Thorn, May 02, 2018, 12:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

"I really don't know," he replied honestly. "I don't feel like I belong here anymore, but maybe something will change my mind. Regardless, it will be interesting to see it and old faces again, if they don't try to hang me for what I did to Alys, of course."

DragonSong

Hana pursed her lips and ducked her eyes. She never quite knew how to respond to him talking about his wife.

She cleared her throat. "Why don't you get some sleep? I can take first watch."

Lowen Thorn

"If you insist," he said rather quickly as if he were waiting on the offer. He didn't have the energy to argue over who had first watch. He was absolutely drained, both physically and emotionally, from the journey behind and the journey ahead.

He made his way over to the tent area and moved to lay on his back, closing his eyes.

The next day, he would be back home.

DragonSong

The fox spirit huffed as she watched him go, slipping easily into her fully animal form. She curled herself beside the fire and rested her head on her folded paws, eyes and ears searching their surroundings warily.

Lowen Thorn

He may have gotten a solid hour out of the few he lay there, but that was all he would be able to manage. Too excited? No. Eager? No. A lingering feeling of dread? Probably, he thought.

His eyes slid open and he sat upright, mustering a small yawn as he rubbed his eyelids gently. Then, he made his way out of the tent and back over to the fox.

"How long was I out?" he asked quietly. "Any trouble? Are you ready for me to take over?"

DragonSong

Hana raised her head and whuffed at him softly. "You weren't asleep long. You sure you want to take over?"

Lowen Thorn

Art smiled tiredly at her and nodded. "I wouldn't be able to sleep more even if I wanted to," he admitted dryly. "Go on, get some sleep. I trust you more than I trust myself to get through these mountains, so you'll need your strength."

He took a seat by the dimly lit flames, pulling his legs into his chest and wrapping his arms around them.

DragonSong

She chuffed again and got to her feet, nosing his shoulder gently in passing. "Don't push yourself too hard."

She changed into her halfling form as she crawled into the tent and curled up to sleep.

Lowen Thorn

"Aye aye," he said quietly with a little salute.

He didn't watch the woman as she made her way to the tent, but he could hear her move into her sleeping position, and he could feel it when he was alone. He breathed wearily, and ran his hand down the side of his face as he watched the fire.

It would be nice if things stayed like this for a while. Not the looming sense of dread, but the quiet. The peace. Just him and a new companion with a good fire and a calm night. That would be nice, he thought again, and one could hope.

It was about an hour into his watch when he heard the footsteps behind him.

"...Is that you?"

DragonSong

Hana was awake quickly at the sound of a foreign voice, and she scrambled from the tent, shooting to her feet.

"What's going on?"

Lowen Thorn

"It is you, isn't it, Art?"

Art's eyes peaked at the man approaching him from the crevices of the mountain roads, still a little too distance and a little too dark outside to make out the figure. He felt a little uneasy, but the voice felt familiar. Soon enough, a man of Art's height with rich blonde hair and troubled blue eyes stood before him.

"...Cedric?" Art speculated briefly before his eyes shot open in confirmation. "Cedric!"

The two came together in a tight hug, though Cedric's was a little less affectionate than Art's. Pulling away from him, the new man studied his face for a few moments, shot a quick quizzical look to Hana, and then back to Art.

"I thought that was you," he began cautiously. "It's been four years. Where in the hells have you been?"

"I couldn't tell you even if I wanted to," Art replied with a smile that was half-joyous and half-nervous. "What are you doing out here?"

"Don't worry about that," he shot back quietly. "They say you went mad, Art. They say you killed Alys and ran to another country. I never wanted to believe them, but you've been gone for four years.. and now, all of a sudden, your back, and with... who is she?"

Cedric cast another glance at Hana with unsure eyes.

DragonSong

Hana shuffled back under the stranger's-- Cedric's-- eyes. She ran a hand through her hair, trying to vanish her ears and tail as surreptitiously as possible. "Um...my name's Hana," she mumbled, glancing at Art uncertainly.

Lowen Thorn

"Right, her name is Hana," Art confirmed to alleviate the look of doubt in Cedric's eyes. "She's a friend. She helped me get here."

Cedric breathed easy. "Well," he started, trying to form his words. "It's nice to meet you, Hana. But. Art. Why have you come back?  You might be hung."

"Well, I certainly didn't come all this way to die," Art replied dryly. "But, it is time that I face everyone. If that's what they want then.. we'll see. Maybe I will run again."

DragonSong

The kitsune frowned and stepped forward to her friend's side, arms folded. "He most certainly will not be," she muttered. "Not if I have anything to say about it."

Lowen Thorn

Art smiled at Hana's response. "You heard the woman," he said with satisfied eyes. "You don't have anything to worry about with Hana around."

Cedric looked at Hana curiously before he himself smiled. "Right," he concluded. "Just be careful. I'd hate to see anything happen to you after all of this time. When I come back I expect to see you, alive and well."

"Back? Where are you going?" the man asked with a furrowed brow.

"Just taking a little trip. I'll return in a few weeks. Now, I must be on my way. It really is good to see you, Art. I'm sorry if I was a little skeptical at first, it's just-"

"I understand," Art interjected. "No apologies necessary. Just be safe out there."

Cedric nodded to Art, and then turned to Hana and gave her a little bow. "M'lady," he said kindly before turning on his heel and venturing back into the mountains.

DragonSong

Hana flushed deeply at being called "M'lady" and shook her head as she watched Cedric go.

"An old friend?" she asked, turning to look at Art.

Lowen Thorn

"You could say that," he said softly as his eyes followed Cedric until out of distance. "He was a friend of my wife's. I'm surprised he didn't try to kill me just then."

He sighed and finally looked back at Hana. "It's still late. Why don't you go back to sleep?"

DragonSong

She shook her head and settled to perch beside the fire. "No, I'm alright. I usually don't need much sleep," she murmured with a shrug.

She felt like she should say something else, maybe something comforting, but she didn't know what.

Lowen Thorn

"Okay. Then let's talk," he said after some thought, taking a seat near her by the fire. "I realize during most of the trip here I've been the one talking about myself. I'm sure you are sick of it by now. Tell me more about you. You said you were raised by Tobin?"

DragonSong

"Mhm." She nodded and folded her legs to the side. "I was...eight? Maybe ten? Young, anyhow. He found me in the Niahi, just sort of wandering."