Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Call to the Fold

Started by DragonSong, July 09, 2019, 07:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@SanctifiedSavage

My dearest son,

I am sorry I seem to write you only on business, but matters have recently come to light that must be addressed. Word has reached my ear that you were in the area recently, so I informed Lord Saroian that I would ask you to look into the matter.

There is a rogue of our kind spreading destruction near the northern mountains of Serendipity-- destruction like nothing we have every heard of before. It is not a slaughter of villages or a lurking presence at the edge of battlefields, but rather a decay in the land itself.

If you find the swamp, you will find your target. Return him to the fold; he may choose to bend to our rule or not once he is here, but he must be monitored. Find this vampire and bring him to us, by order of the High Council.

Dictated by the Lady Carine Zefar, Third Councilor and Mistress of the Eastern Pass.

Beneath the body of the letter, in a slightly different, more curving hand, was scrawled: P.S. It has been so long since you've been home for a visit. Surely you can spare some time to remain when you return with the rogue?

Love always,
Mother

Cassian sighed and folded the letter up, tucking it back into place inside his worn leather coat. He rubbed at his temple with one hand, using the other to stroke absently through the downy feather's of Snowcall's ruff as the griffon banked into a graceful arc, flying them along the southeastern edge of the mountains.

"Northern mountains of Serendipity," the dhampir snorted to himself. "When was the last time she got out of the damn castle? Does she think that narrows it down?"

His mount suddenly gave a sharp cry and tipped into a shallow dive. Startled, Cass was jerked from his own thoughts to look over the griffon's shoulder.

To his surprise, they were approaching what appeared to be the edge of a smallish, mist covered swamp.

He glowered down at the back of Snowcall's head. "Showoff." The griffon just clucked smugly, bringing them in for a slightly squishy landing. Cassian wrinkled his nose as he slid off his companion's back, patting his shoulder absently while he looked around. "Alright. So. Swamp vampire. Where oh where could you be...?"

Decay in the land, huh? He frowned. Sure swamps weren't his favorite place, but...that seemed like a strong accusation. Marshland was as much a part of the natural world as forests and river valleys-- it just wasn't particularly pretty to most.

SanctifiedSavage

Any place than Nezhit'yu tended to linger began to change. Since he didn't exactly feed on the living, he took his sustenance from the land itself. It was the clouds that came first, much to his relief. Blocking out the infernal sun and casting the area in greys. Then it'd rain. And it wouldn't stop raining.

The ground became soggy. Trees bent and bowed, dipping branches to the ground while the bark split open with fungus and moss. Shrubs would curl in on themselves, turning into odd, twisted things with spindly roots soon exposed by the excess of water. The land would crack open into muddy bogs and shallow mires. It took some time, sure, but it was certainly noticable when a swamp eventually was there when, previously, there was no swamp.

This one in particular had consumed some farmland. And the farmer's house. Nezhit'yu had long since chased the man from it and now relaxed on the sagging roof, appearing to nap in the light, misting rain. The horses the man had owned had warped into half rotting creatures that grazed nearby, pulling up long grass from muddy pits that was swallowed into exposed ribcages. The horses didn't seem disturbed by this change, though, and carried on as though all this were normal. Fine. Even if half of one's face had long since rotted away.

His things were in the building below him, moderately sheltered by part of the roof that had yet to give way to rot and decay. While the vampire wasn't asleep, he was in a sort of restful state. Content, for the moment, in a slice of his home in a world otherwise too bright, too warm, and far too cheery.

@DragonSong

DragonSong

"Eugh." Cassian screwed up his face as his foot sank into yet another deceptively deep pit of mud and leaf litter. Hopping awkwardly on one foot, he jerked it free and had to pinwheel his arms for a moment to keep his balance until Snowcall moved up beside him and braced himself against his side.

"Alright." The dhampir growled under his breath as he shook mud off his boot. "Anything nice I've ever said about swamps? I take it all back."

His griffon gave a chuffing caw that sounded suspiciously like laughter, and Cass glared at him. "Well, what do you expect?" Throwing his arms wide, he shouted in exasperation, "Who would choose to live like this?!"

His voice echoed eerily out through the heavy, warm mist and he winced. Well. That probably hadn't been his smartest move. 

SanctifiedSavage

The air was heavy and wet. Humid, save it wasn't warm. The chill mist felt good on his pallid skin while he lounged, eyes closed, on the soggy, wet roof. If he didn't look around, he could pretend it really was home. Save that, beyond the small circle of wet and mud and rot, it wasn't.

Nezhit'yu was plucked from his reverie by the sound of a voice. It wasn't expressly close, but it didn't have to be. The vampire could hear pretty well. He didn't move right away, choosing instead to idly listen. Discern who it was he might be dealing with. Only then did he lazily slip from the rooftop, as graceful as a panther. When he walked through the muck and mud, there was barely a trace. It wasn't that he walked on water, per say, but Nezhit'yu knew how to maneuver in the sucking mud and swirling bog-like state of the ground. He found the source in no time.

Leaning against a blackened, mold-covered tree, the blight-vampire watched his guest for a long moment while they struggled through a patch of thick, dark mud. Seemingly unconcerned they were even there. Nezhit'yu wasn't, really. His interest in others waned fairly quickly. After a time, though, he asked, "What are you doing here?" His words were as chilled and misty as the clouds overhead. Not exactly the most friendly or welcoming of creatures. The vampire recognized that the one in front of him wasn't mortal, but beyond that, he didn't know anything else.

Didn't care, either.

The mist and wet had stuck his clothes to him and made his tattooed and runic skin glisten where the faint, grey light shone. He looked odd and alien, most like, with white hair stuck to him like pale tendrils. The only color on him were his bright, molten gold eyes that bore into his guest.

@DragonSong

DragonSong

Cassian got an answer to his question more quickly than he'd really expected. With a start, he whirled toward the voice-- even Snowcall seemed caught off guard, the griffon skittering back a few steps and ducking around as though trying to hide behind the slim dhampir.

"Saints and sinners," Cass huffed, once the initial shock faded. He glanced back over his shoulder at his feathered companion, quirking an eyebrow. "Well, aren't you just a huge help."

The griffon cheeped innocently and he rolled his eyes, then turned his attention back to his target. At least, who he assumed was his target-- who else would be out in this muck.

"Ah, hello." He tried for a smile, though he knew even with the friendliest expression people tended to find him a bit...intimidating. "My name is Cassian Locke, a pleasure to make your acquaintance. To, erm, answer your question...well, if you're who I think you are, I am here to find you."

@SanctifiedSavage

SanctifiedSavage

Nezhit'yu watched impassively as the odd guest and his pet-creature whirled about to face him. Surprised. The blight vampire had the advantage of territory and could move quietly without effort. That wasn't the case for the other, it seemed.

"If I am who you think I am?" he echoed, gaze wandering slowly over Cassian. Appraising him as one might an interesting article of clothing or trinket found on a shelf. Then he did the same to what he could see of the odd bird creature. "Why would anyone want to find me?" Nezhit'yu didn't know anyone in this realm, so he couldn't fathom why anyone would be looking specifically for him. He wasn't concerned, mind, it was just a curious thing to have stumbled upon. As such, he didn't offer his name. There didn't seem to be a reason to since this person was supposedly looking for him.

DragonSong

"Ahh...well." Cassian cleared his throat, rocking back on his heels slightly and then wincing at the squelch of the mud beneath his feet. "There have been...reports of a-- a vampire with peculiar abilities roaming these parts. I have been sent as a...representative...of sorts."

@SanctifiedSavage

SanctifiedSavage

Nezhit'yu had been called that, in this place. Vampire. It was new, but he didn't mind it. Mostly because he didn't really care.

Even so, that anyone or anything would be looking for him was different. Intriguing. For a moment, he thought maybe another of his clan. But no, this other – vampire? – didn't feel right. A humorless smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. "Well. You found me, representative. What can I do for you?" He couldn't begin to guess what anyone would want with him, but he was willing to entertain the conversation.

DragonSong

"Well. It's actually more...what I can do for you?" Cass smiled almost sheepishly as he unconsciously shifted his weight between his feet. "I am here to...offer sanctuary, I suppose. If you would be so kind as to accompany me back to my superiors, you could be formally introduced and offered the protection of the High Council."

It didn't occur to him to explain exactly what the Council was; unless a vampire was a fledgling, he assumed they knew. And though he knew next to nothing about the man before him, he was nonetheless absolutely certain that he was no newborn.

SanctifiedSavage

When the newcomer clarified that he was there for Nezhit'yu, that significantly increased his interest. It'd been awhile since anyone had offered themselves to him. Well, since he'd arrived on this particular place. He took a couple of steps toward the other vampire until he made mention of Sanctuary.

The small smile remained. Though Nezhit'yu was looking at him with a different sort of interest now.

"So, you want me to go with you... to this High Council?" He took another step closer, nearly putting him in the other vampire's personal space. "I'm not sure I need Sanctuary... Though, I am more interested in what you can do for me..." It had been awhile since Nezhit'yu had any company...

DragonSong

"Ahh..." Cassian took a step back, and he felt Snowcall shuffle into a curved, protective stance behind him. Despite the fact that he was, at his core, a predator himself, even he could feel the instinctive warning tingling up the back of his neck. As though he was being hunted.

"Well, I...I'm sure we could come to some sort of arrangement?" he tried cautiously. Maybe if he did this rogue a favor or whatever, he would agree to return to Lord Alexander with him.

@SanctifiedSavage

SanctifiedSavage

Nezhit'yu didn't pay any mind to the odd creature behind the new comer. Such things rarely mattered to him. It was like the rotting, now undead horses milling about. Part of the scenery. Something that would change, if given enough time.

He wasn't oblivious to the effect he had on the vampire, either, but that didn't bother him. Nezhit'yu found he made those of this place uncomfortable. It really just made him want to get closer. What about him made them uncomfortable? This was the first time someone had sought him out, and it seemed a better chance than any to find out.

"What do you purpose?" he purred, looking over Cassian. Was the vampire as sturdy as, say, another of his clan? Or did he melt like the other mortals he'd touched? Nezhit'yu was curious and now quite interested in Cassian. This was also the first other vampire that had approached him. He shouldn't pass up this opportunity to... learn...

DragonSong

The dhampir was no stranger to the dangers that lay in making a deal with Fell creatures-- which something in his gut told him this man definitely was.

So he proceeded cautiously, taking a small step to the side as though he was beginning to circle the stranger. "That depends," he replied slowly, "on what you want, and what you'll agree to in return for it."

SanctifiedSavage

Nezhit'yu turned when his guest moved, and even shifted to be a hair closer. Intrigued. Interested. Amused. "You're the first to have sought me out. The first to ask for me in such a direct way – and not violently. I'll agree to go wherever you like, so long as you stay with me. As a... guide, if you like." Nezhit'yu's smile widened, just a fraction. He didn't feed off of people, as a vampire might, but he could certainly consume another's life force.

He wasn't interested in doing so to this other person, but he certainly wouldn't mind exploring him either. A vampire. How did he taste? He wasn't agreeing to any other terms, mind, but nothing else had been suggested. He'd follow Cassian if that's what the other wanted. It was an interesting thing, if nothing else. Where would he want Nezhit'yu to go? To see some sort of Council?

DragonSong

"Ah..." Cass blinked, more than a little taken aback. He hadn't expected a quick, seemingly reasonable agreement.

...This felt too easy.

Still, he had his orders. "I can...accompany you to the Council," he said slowly, "and I suppose I can act as a guide for you there, yes. So...that means you'll come with me?"

Snowcall fluted a small, whining hum through his beak and he reached back absently to pat the griffon's shoulder. Abruptly, he realized, flushing a bit for the oversight, "I, uh, I never got your name, ser."

SanctifiedSavage

Nezhit'yu studied him, gaze roaming a moment, before he said, "I'll take you at your word then." It amused him further that Cassian had been sent for him, specifically, but didn't seem to know his name.

"Nezhit'yu." No reason not to oblige. He didn't understand the point of any of this, but he was willing to go along with it if it meant he could amicably be around the other. Learn a bit more. Most other creatures fled from him, or died around him. This would be a nice change of pace.

The flush was even more intriguing. He quirked a brow, gaze drawn to the change in color to the other's face. One of his cool hands lifted and he lightly, ever so slowly, touched his jaw just beneath his cheek. "How fascinating you are," he murmured.

DragonSong

Cass stiffened.

"Th-that, um..." He stammered, blinked, tried to figure out why just a touch-- surprising though it was-- made his skin crawl. "Thanks?" he offered after a brief moment of panic. "Nej...Nezhit..." His blush darkened a bit as he stumbled over the name. "Er, sorry, I'll get the hang of it. But, ah, I don't suppose you have a...nickname, or something?"

Snowcall crooned softly behind him and ruffled his wings. The griffon was growing impatient, and the lifelessness of this place had his hackles raised.

SanctifiedSavage

He laughed a little. It was a soft, sigh of a sound. Almost like a cough. It was amusing how Cassian stumbled over his name. Then his flush darkened and one of his brows quirked more so. His bright golden gaze burned into him. How very curious.

"A nickname?" he asked, only half paying attention to what the other vampire was saying. Too busy looking him over. Wondering if other parts of him flushed like his face. "Call me whatever you like." The finger on his jaw traced along and the tip danced down his neck before Nezhit'yu withdrew his hand. His small smile remained. "I'm curious if any other part of you changes colors." It didn't occur to him that it might be inappropriate to say.

DragonSong

Whoa boy.

Cass took a sharp step back, but by that point the other vampire's touch had already lifted. "Look, uh, I'm not... It's not gonna be that kind of guide, alright?" he muttered, utterly baffled by the stranger's behavior.

Choosing to ignore the comment about changing colors-- because he didn't entirely understand it, and even if he had what on earth was he supposed to say to that?-- he nodded back over his shoulder toward Snowcall and said quickly, "Well, if you're...amiable, no time like the present to get moving, yes?"

SanctifiedSavage

Nezhit'yu didn't move. He watched Cassian retreat though he didn't understand what the other vampire was saying. That sort of guide? Was he now rescinding on their offer so soon?

His own interest deflated quickly and he partially turned on his heel – something he found easy to do despite the bog-like nature of the ground. "If you have changed your mind about being my guide, I've no interest in leaving." His tone was flat. Deadpan. He could return to his rooftop rest. Until this piece of land had no more sustenance to offer him. Then he'd move on, as he was wont to do.