Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Divine Interventions [Kada]

Started by DragonSong, February 03, 2020, 08:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

[@Kada]

Lapis sat under the shade of a shop awning, sipping at a cool, yogurt-based drink and desperately trying to pretend that she had nothing to do with the half naked man lounging in the seat next to her, practically shimmering from the sheer amount of jewelry that dangled from his person.

A task that became significantly more difficult to accomplish when he leaned in close and slung his arm around the back of her own seat, positively purring, "Lapis, darling, won't you at least look at me? You aren't still mad, are you?"

Face burning, and for once not because of the Essyrni heat, Lapis Lazuli deliberately turned her head away from him and took another long drink. She could feel the eyes of the marketplace lingering on them; most shoppers only spared them a cursory, vaguely curious glance before moving on--they probably assumed he was a lesser merchant prince, treating his concubine to a day out.

A fact which Zahir had shamelessly taken advantage of earlier that day, and which she still had not forgiven him for.

"Oh, come now." The djinn leaned closer, twirling a finger absently through one of her braids. She scowled and batted his hand away, and he retreated with a laugh, both hands raised peaceably. "You must admit, it got us out of there faster."

"I must not do anything, particularly for you," Lapis snapped, then winced. Damnit. She'd been determined not to talk to him at all. She'd made it nearly three hours before breaking.

"There it is!" Zahir swooned dramatically, laying a hand over his heart and letting his lashes flutter against his cheeks. "Ah, the sweet dulcet tones of my mistress's voice. How I've missed it!"

"Zahir, be quiet, for the love of the goddess!" Lapis hissed as she looked around, mortification growing with every second.

Kadakism

Fahru had been in the middle of a delivery when he felt the pull. Paying a young courier to finish carrying the delivery of perfumed medicinal incenses, he accepted the loss he'd be incurring and focused on the thrumming of strings in his chest. There was more important work to be done.

It had taken some doing, like dousing for water in the desert. A lot of warmer and colder as the thrumming in his chest vibrated with more or less intensity each time he turned a corner and doubled back. But eventually he found his way to a shop and he knew. There was no way it couldn't be them: a petite young woman angrily trying to ignore the handsome man sitting next to her. A classic lover's quarrel, perhaps?

He was far too old to be concerned with getting odd looks from strangers, and so he strolled directly up to the couple, eyes sparkling with an enthusiasm much younger than his age might have suggested. His form blocked the sun further as he stood in front of Lapis and Zahir.

"Hakeshna still my heart, hello! Pardon my intrusion but I couldn't help but notice you both. I was just so overcome with emotion at seeing you, and the dour look on your face Miss."

DragonSong

Oh.

Oh, wonderful.

Lapis shot her companion and absolutely cutting look that quite plainly said, You see what you do?!

But Zahir only laughed, evidently delighted, and beamed at her. "Come now, dearest, you see? That sour face draws more attention to use than I ever will," he exclaimed brightly, and turned his attention to the stranger.

Instantly there was a shift in him--subtle, Lapis wasn't even sure anyone unfamiliar with the djinn would notice, but she certainly did. A bit of the playfulness left his eyes, though his expression itself didn't waver. She could see the faint tension that entered his shoulders: a fight or flight instinct rising to the surface.

"What can we help you with, dear sir?" he purred, gesturing welcomingly to the seat across from them.

"Wait, that really isn't necessary--" Lapis winced and bit her tongue, looking up at the man herself. Years of learned servitude had her quickly dropping her eyes again. "Forgive us, master, ahh...we don't mean to cause a disturbance."

Kadakism

Conflicted answers nearly made Fahru pull back, but the girl's discomfort was something that pulled at his heart ever more. "My dear, I am no master. A humble servant myself, a perfumer and little else. So don't feel the need to give this old ego any boosting."

Taking the seat as carefully as he could, knowing that his bulk could break most chairs if he wasn't careful, Fahru essentially kept most of his weight on his feet despite sitting down. "I am truly sorry to interrupt. My name is Fahru Qadir, son of Kalik and Nemu Qadir. It is my understanding that you two are in need of something - something that, perhaps, I can help provide?"

He sighed, giving his oiled beard a stroke and consequently filling the air with the scent of lavender and cucumbers as the perfume within was agitated. "That is to say, despite my humble worldly business, I have come to understand that I have a divine... duty to others. And right now, that means the two of you."

DragonSong

Both Lapis and Zahir blinked at that, mute. The djinn wrinkled his nose a bit as the perfume invaded the air, and Lapis kicked him under the table.

If anyone has a right to complain about gaudy presentation, it is certainly not you, she thought firmly, though she knew he couldn't hear her thoughts. Or so he said, at least. He may be able to project his voice into her mind, but according to him it didn't work the other way.

Clearing her throat, the young scholar summoned up her courage and asked, "Excuse me, mast—sir, but...I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. What duty are you speaking of?"

Kadakism

Of course they weren't going to be that forthcoming with their woes. He was a stranger and probably sounded like some kind of lunatic.

"Ah, yes. Well, I took a second pilgrimage out into the desert some years ago. After I lost my darling wife. I didn't find peace there. But what I did find was a thrumming, like a stringed instrument being played on my heart. I followed it and found a young stable hand, absolutely smitten with his master's daughter. I helped the boy learn to read and to take up a skill, and built up his confidence to win her heart. It wasn't to be, but his newfound sense of self helped him become a better man."

Fahru smiled down at his large hands, clasped together and fidgeting with one of his rings. "I found peace there. And a dozen other times in similar situations. Always the same thrumming in my chest brought me to who I needed to approach. Always some problem, usually one of the heart, for me to help nudge them back on course."

"I normally don't like presuming things. But I haven't been wrong in over a decade, following my heart like this."

DragonSong

Again, they both just stared at him.

Then Zahir's eyes widened fractionally, and an insufferable sort of smile began to curve at his lips. "Oh. Oh that is delightful. That is--this is utterly wondrous." In a burst of movement, he spun to face Lapis and took her hands in his, clutching one to his heart as he proclaimed melodramatically, "You see, dearest? It is divine intention itself that has brought the man here, surely you must listen to the whims of the gods!"

"Get off, you great--!" Catching herself before saying something very rude in front of the stranger, Lapis blushed deeply as she looked to Fahru and desperately tried to free her hands. "Forgive me, sir, my...companion is not exactly a...firm believer. Please don't pay him any mind, he just likes to irritate people."

The last was said with a firm kick under the table, which made the djinn yelp and drop her hands like she was on fire. Smirking internally, the scholar turned back to face this odd, though seemingly kindly, man properly. Voice soft and eyes kind, she tipped her head to the side and asked, "This...thrumming. You're sure you were meant to find us? I don't mean to question your judgement, but the markets are crowded this time of day..."

Kadakism

Fahru smiled at the couple, a knowing expression that made him chuckle at just how bickerish they were. Just like him and his beloved Satrana in the early days of their courtship. "I haven't been wrong yet, young miss. It's like dousing for water. It gets stronger the closer I am, and my heart is practically singing as I sit with the two of you."

And it was true; the thrumming in his chest was so profound right now he thought his heart might burst. But it hadn't yet, of which he was glad. "I can see that the two of you have some tension. I would, if you'd allow me, to help?"

DragonSong

"We don't have any tension--"

"My good sir, you have absolutely no idea--"

Lapis and Zahir cut off to look at each other, the scholar glaring and the djinn smirking. A fairly standard state of being for them both, at least around one another.

"I've suggested several ways to ease our...tension," Zahir continued, voice like honey and eyes glinting pure sin at her. Lapis flushed and looked away, scowling. With a sigh, Zahir turned back to Fahru and spread his hands helplessly. "As you can see, my sweet mistress is...not so inclined. Ah, well."

"You are utterly ridiculous," Lapis hissed at him, cheeks still very warm. She looked around, caught a few more curious stares, and the blush deepened. Clearing her throat, she said quickly, "If this conversation is to continued--" goddess help me-- "perhaps it might be prudent to move somewhere a bit less public?"

Kadakism

"Of course. It's not my intention to embarrass you, I promise." Fahru nodded, looking between the two of them. He could already see it, honestly.A sexless marriage, as it were. Most definitely arranged, and with them having grown up wildly different with no chance to get to know each other beforehand. Not the worst situation he had dealt with in his lifetime, by far.

Standing up and once again towering over everyone, Fahru offered a hand to each Lapis and Zahir with a big, radiant smile. "We could go back to my shop, if you would like. It is not far from here, and I have some very lovely basil lemonade that I made this morning. A welcome treat on a hot day like today, yes?"

DragonSong

"Oh, um..."

Lapis eyed his hand with the clear wariness that was born of experience. It had been years since she'd been truly in a helpless position in Essyrni society, but the fear it had instilled in her was bone-deep. Fear that made traipsing off with a strange, rather large, man not the most appealing of ideas.

Zahir, already standing, grinned and took Fahru's offered hand. "We'd be delighted, of course."

Subtly, so Fahru hopefully wouldn't see, he reached out to brush two fingers against the back of Lapis's wrist. The scholar started slightly before she caught herself as he his voice whispered in her mind, I will protect you, ka-riin. You don't need to fear.

Lapis relaxed slightly, almost despite herself. He still wouldn't tell her what that word meant--a title from a bygone era, she was sure--but somehow hearing his assurance actually made her feel better.

With a polite smile, she took the other offered hand and stood, drink long abandoned on the small table. "Very well then. Thank you."

Kadakism

The path back to Fahru's home and workshop was not a very long one, but it did wind a bit through the city streets. What they came to was not what might have been expected for a man of Fahru's stature, but certainly made sense given his demeanor. The building was squat, with a doorway that Fahru himself had to duck and turn sideways through to enter though other didn't have this issue. Several vines of beautiful desert flowers crawled up the front wall and windows, and a sign with a desert rose carved into it adorned the hook next to the door.

Inside, the place was homey, with a ceiling higher than normal so that Fahru didn't have to remain hunched over the entire time in his own home. The entire place smelled of flowers and herbs, and the other scents of perfumery wafting from the back.

He patted a table with some chairs around it, enough for a family and one larger than the others and made in a different style. Clearly that one was Fahru's personal chair. "Sit, sit. I will get the lemonade. I think I have some babka as well, if you would like some of that."

He returned with a clay jug of fragrant lemonade, as well as a basket with the aforementioned babka and cups in it. He had taken off most of his outer silken layers and was now just wearing a dark lavender robe and his shoes.

DragonSong

Lapis most certainly did not want to "sit, sit". She always felt...awkward, in another person's house. Like she should be doing something, fetching and carrying, something--but people always insisted on hosting, which left her feeling strangely adrift. She clutched her hands in the hem of her robes and hoped she didn't look quite so out of place as she felt.

Zahir, on the other hand, collapsed easily and gracefully into one of the offered chairs, as though he and Fahru were great friends and he was entirely comfortable in the other man's home. "This is quite charming, Craftsman Fahru," he said cheerfully as he looked around, using a slightly archaic form of address that made Lapis wince nonsensically. "And the refreshments are greatly appreciated. Aren't they, Lapis, dear?"

She scowled at him, but forced a smile and grateful nod for their host. "Er, yes. Thank you." Her feet shuffled in place nervously and she looked around again, looking a little lost.

Kadakism

Craftsman Fahru. That was one he hadn't heard before. Fahru set the basket and the jug down, pouring cups of the earthy, minty lemonade for each of them. Then he took his seat, sighing as he relaxed into a chair actually made to hold his massive frame.

"There's really no need to be so reserved, Miss," he said in an almost fatherly tone to Lapis, giving her a wary smile as though she was a frightened animal that he was attempting to feed. "My home is open to most anyone."

He gave pause, and sighed while pinching the bridge of his nose. "I really must apologise though. I know that you are wary of me, and of the help I am offering. I can see it plain as I see my own hand. But I assure you, I have nothing but good intentions. And I am not here to force an issue one way or the other. I have helped hearts that were pining and ones that needed to be set free."

DragonSong

"Oh!" Great, she'd offended him. That was the last thing she'd intended. "Really, sir, that's not it, I..."

Lapis trailed off, floundering. Zahir looked up at her from his seat. The playful smirk had faded, his eyes cooler than usual, considering. Abruptly, he turned to Fahru.

"My mistress was not born a free woman, Craftsman," he said bluntly. Lapis jerked and gaped at him, blindsided.

What in all hells!? It wasn't like that was a secret, but--but she didn't exactly go around advertising it either! What the hells was he playing at?

Before she could start shouting at him, the djinn continued, "While I'm sure she appreciates your apologies, to be perfectly candid it is unlikely that anything but time and your continued unexpecting manner will do much to truly put her at ease. She is currently waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. As it always has." That smirk again. "Though I'm sure it won't from you."

You...impossible...irreverent--arrogant--!

It then occurred to her, quite abruptly, that he was no longer lounging in his seat. His position hadn't changed, but the tension in his body was clear. And though he still smiled, his eyes were hard as he stared at Fahru.

That...that hadn't been a dig at her. He was warning the perfumer, he was...protecting her, in his own way. As he'd said he would.

Very flushed, Lapis glared at the floor, mute. She wasn't sure how she felt about that--either his protection itself or the way he went about it.

Zahir beamed and took a sip of the lemonade. "This is quite excellent, by the way. Do you truly make it yourself?"

Kadakism

Unlike Zahir's subtle change, Fahru's expression was dramatic and immediately noticeable. The dimples of his cheeks vanished as his smile fell and he looked between the two of them with pity in his eyes.

"I am... deeply sorry. Not just for your having to endure that, but for my presumptuous behaviour. Please, if you'll pardon me, I- I feel that I have done harm where my intention is always to heal. You may both eat and drink your fill and leave whenever you wish; I won't impose upon you any further."

Fahru stood up but hunched his shoulders, a tactic that he had learned long ago made him look much smaller, if also fatter, and less intimidating. He left his drink on the table and shuffled back towards his workshop in the back, to leave Lapis and Zahir alone and not disturb them further with his presence.

DragonSong

Oh for fuck’s sake!

“Really, Master Fahru, it’s alright—!” Lapis tried to assure him, so hasty that she didn’t even realized she’d slipped into the more formal tone of address. It didn’t matter, it was too late. Growling, she whirled on the djinn. “You see what happens when you can’t keep your mouth shut?!”

Zahir blinked at her laconically. “I was only telling him to mind his step with you, dear mistress.”

“You—ahg!” Lapis threw her hands in the air and whirled to follow the perfumer into his workshop. She was so angry that the potential impropriety didn’t even occur to her.

At least, not until she already had one foot inside the door, which was when she paused, feeling that flush start to come back to her cheeks. “I’m...ah, excuse me? Mast— sir? I—I really am sorry about Zahir. You haven’t don’t anything wrong, he’s just...protective, sometimes. Though honestly I question why—err, never mind, doesn’t matter. But really, I’m sorry we’ve intruded and he was so rude to you! I do believe you just wanted to help us, he can just be—“

She cut herself off, finally realizing that she’d been babbling.

Kadakism

Fahru was busying himself with nothing when Lapis came into his workshop alone to speak with him. He paused, sighing and rubbing at his eyes in something like weariness as he turned to regard her as she prattled nervously at him. Or at least it seemd nervous to him.

"Please, Miss. You have done nothing wrong. And neither has your Zahir. He, both of you are right to be skeptical. Wary. I have always... just done what I thought was right, what was needed of me. But I suppose I never stopped to think that some people simply might not want my help."

He paused, then sighed, unable to stop himself. "That man out there, regardless of your differences or arguing, does seem to genuinely care about you. At least from the small amount that I have already seen."

DragonSong

"He...I..."

Lapis trailed off with a sigh, looking away and chewing absently at her lower lip. "I'm afraid it's...not quite that simple," she murmured. Her arms came up to hug around her middle. "He--he sort of has to care about me, at least a little. It's in his own self-interest."

Goddess, this was weird. How much could she reveal before it was too much? How much did she want to? Because she realized quite abruptly that she did, perhaps surprisingly, want to talk about this. It had been so confusing, so aggravating, and she had no one to confide in except Zahir himself.

And that wasn't a proper option at all.

With a small sigh, she leaned back against the door frame and tipped her head back until her skull thumped gently against the wall. "I truly do appreciate that you want to help," she muttered. Then her lips twitched in almost the beginnings of a smile. "And...honestly in most any other circumstances I'd be quite interested in asking you about that thrumming you talked about. It sounds fascinating."

It had been so long since she'd actually, properly done her job that she'd almost forgotten that was what it was: seeking out new phenomena, new knowledge, and trying to understand it. And she did believe Fahru, for whatever reason. Zahir still seemed fairly convinced that the perfumer was a mad if relatively harmless busybody, but Lapis... She wasn't sure. It felt like there was something more here.

Kadakism

"All love is self interest in some way. I acted a fool for my wife because it made her laugh, and the sound of her laugh eased any stress I was feeling from work or my other responsibilities."

He smiled kind of... sadly, somehow, leaning back against the counter of his workshop. But Fahru sighed and collected himself, running a hand through his beard as he regained his composure. He looked over at Lapis, respectfully not looking directly at her so as not to make her unduly uncomfortable.

"I won't force you to talk to me. Not that I could anyway," he said with a kind of mirth. "But my home is always open to the both of you, if you need it. The thrumming in my chest, it... I like to think that my wife has become a Seytil, which is why my pull is almost always towards matters of the heart." He didn't often tell anyone that, as he was sure that some would consider it sacrilegious, saying that a human had become a messenger of Hakeshna.