Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Divine Interventions [Kada]

Started by DragonSong, February 03, 2020, 08:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"It's not love," Lapis responded automatically. "It's...self-preservation."

She listened as he spoke of his wife, her expression softening from that same tense if curious wariness to something...a little more just curious.

"...What was her name?" She couldn't remember if he'd actually said, before; Zahir had been rather distracting. Now that she had a moment to talk to the man alone though, she found herself wanting to just...know more about him. Why had he been drawn to them?

Kadakism

"Her name was Satrana. She was a singer, we were arranged when we were just thirteen. Our families were very close and so it only seemed proper. We spent the first several years actively trying to be as awful to one another as we could to try and get our parents to annul the betrothal. But one day I tripped and fell and she laughed. And oh that laugh. It made my heart melt. I wanted to hear it again. And when I stopped being awful to her, we actually got to know each other. There was no love at first sight, and we had to work constantly on ourselves. But..."

Fahru's smile deepened as he talked about his wife. He did love talking about her. But he realized that he was rambling now and he wiped at the corners of his eyes before the tears could form. "Apologies. Now I'm the one rambling. But, ah. You said self-preservation? That is a curious way to put it, I must say."

DragonSong

Lapis's heart melted a little bit. She tried to be the cool and detached scholar her master had taught her to be, she really did. But if she was honest with herself she knew in her heart she was a bit of a romantic, and they way Fahru spoke about his wife made her chest ache slightly.

"Oh. Er..."

Shit. She had said that, hadn't she? "It's, um...it's sort of complicated--it's a long story," she tried to excuse lamely, then winced. Yeah. That wasn't particularly convincing.

She glanced over her shoulder. Well. Zahir hadn't come to find her yet...

Looking back to Fahru, she frowned and said slowly, "We're sort of...involved in a...contract? And, um--I mean we're not together, it's not a proper arrangement or anything, we just--I know he flirts a lot but that's just because he likes to irritate me, ah--" She cut herself off and coughed, flushing. "Sorry. Doesn't matter. Anyway, we have this--this contract and it...protects him. Sort of. Allows him to live as he wants to. But in order to do that he has to...protect and...sort of...serve me? At least that's what he says."

It all came out in rather a rush, and she was actually a bit breathless when she finally stopped, unsure if anything she'd said made any sense at all.

Kadakism

Fahru listened politely, not interrupting Lapis while she spoke. The way she talked, she had needed to get this off of her chest. Needed someone to confide in, but hadn't been able to. He had, maybe a bit, manipulated that out of her, but not maliciously. He could apologize later. Fahru stroked his beard, considering what she said with a hint of concern on his face. All of this, it sounded supernatural. A Djinn, perhaps? He had heard the stories all his life, of Djinn making deals with humans.

Fahru finally spoke, after thinking about what he wanted to say to her. He kept his voice low however, so as not to draw any undue attention from Zahir.

"I suppose my first question would be then," he said, letting out a long breath and pulling out a rolled herbal cigar to light and puff on, "is what do you want, my dear? It's all well and good to help others, but if you aren't happy with the arrangement then making yourself live in misery for another's sake does you nor him any good. I don't want to tell you what to do, but I can see that you're under a lot of pressure from your situation, and it begs the question as to whether it is worth the trouble."

DragonSong

"Oh, well..."

That was a very good question. She had no idea what she wanted--for most of her life she'd never been allowed to want anything, and then almost as soon as she could she found herself stuck with an irritatingly flirtatious, ancient djinn.

Of course...he was also stuck with her. She realized with an abrupt pang that she didn't always give that part of it enough thought.

"I...do want to help him. I think," she finally admitted, slowly, as though she was working out the words even as she said them. "But it's...like I said, it's complicated. Even if we wanted to, neither of us knows how to break the contract. But I--" She hesitated, bit her lip, then continued, "I'm not sure this...the way we are now...I don't think it's good for either of us."

Kadakism

"If you cannot break the contract, then perhaps you can at least make the best of it? At the very least, I think it would be good for the two of you to be able to talk to one another as equals. And from there, who knows what kinship you might find together, eh?"

Fahru nodded slowly, smiling at Lapis and moving very cautiously over to her. He bent a bit lower, closing the gap as much as he could between their heights. "Miss, may I hug you? I promise not to hurt you in any way, I just feel like we've connected in a way."

DragonSong

Opening her mouth to reply, Lapis found herself suddenly instead giving an actual squeak as she stared up at him, wide eyed--though it was really more from surprise than anything else.

Most people in Essyrn didn't want to touch her when they learned she'd been born into slavery.

"Oh, well, ah...s-sure?" A little hesitantly, she shuffled a step closer and started to raise her arms. Goddess, she felt awkward. She wasn't used to things like this, or people like Fahru, for that matter.

And he'd given her a lot to think about. Equals, hm? What did that mean, for them? Zahir would always be the more powerful of the two of them, just by nature of what he was. But...his contract, his link to life and living it, was through her. Did that...how did that change the balance between them?

It wasn't like she'd never thought about it before, but honestly it was an idea she typically shied away from.

Which left her standing before him feeling small and awkward, a thousand questions spinning behind her eyes as she looked up at him as though he might somehow be able to give her answers.

Kadakism

The difference in size between them left Fahru's hug very much like one a father would give to his child as he crouched down to embrace Lapis for a few seconds. He stood back up, satisfied with this and stepped back to give her some space.

"There's still lemonade and babka out there if you would like some. We may want to get back anyway; Zahir might think something unbecoming if we're gone too long." Giving Lapis a cheeky, joking smile, Fahru moved over and pushed the door open so that she could head back into his house proper and out of his workshop.

DragonSong

The hug was...nice. She couldn't actually remember the last time someone had held her--and certainly never like this, like a parent or favorite uncle.

It was just nice.

she stepped back quickly, still feeling awkward despite admitting to herself that she actually rather liked it. She did summon up a smile for him though, nodding slightly. "That is probably a good idea, yes," she chuckled as she ducked back through the doorway.

Zahir was lounging in the seat where she'd left him, evidently entirely unconcerned with where she and Fahru had been. Lapis rolled her eyes as she approached, then froze when he wordlessly handed her a glass of lemonade. "Oh. Um, thanks. What--?"

Have you satisfied your curiosity, dear mistress?

His voice was a sharp, cutting hiss in her mind. She winced, then flashed a quick, startled look at their host, hoping he hadn't noticed. Glaring at the djinn, she lowered her voice and hissed back, "What in all hells has gotten into you all of the sudden?"

Kadakism

Fahru watched the exchange, not oblivious to the tension between the two but absolutely looking like he was. He sat back into his chair with a contented groan and took a slice of babka to accompany his now room temperature lemonade.

"I am sorry to have kept you waiting, Zahir. Though I must confess, I have to admit being correct in our earlier disagreement. Your lady here seems quite invested in you, enough to overcome her misgivings about me for your sake."

He took a long sip from his cup, mostly to hide the hint of a smug smile on his face. Setting it back down, he stroked his fingers back through his beard. Still pretending he didn't notice anything wrong. "But I am still a bit confused about the nature of your relationship. Maybe that is where we can start, yes? We have to know where we are starting before we can determine the best path to where we want to be."

DragonSong

Zahir stiffened slightly, though the only real sign of it was the faint jingling of the bangles that decorated his arms as his fingers curled into a tight fist for a brief moment. Almost instinctively, Lapis reached out and laid her hand on his shoulder for a moment, before she remembered herself and quickly snatched it back.

Her attention returned so quickly to her lemonade, cheeks warm, that she didn't see the djinn look to her for the gesture, didn't see the way his expression softened fractionally and he started to reach out as though to brush an errant braid back from her face—then dropped his hand back into his lap before the movement could even properly be seen.

Frowning, Zahir turned his attention back to the perfumer. "...How much did she tell you?"

Lapis almost choked on her drink, looking up at him with wide eyes. He was...actually entertaining this?

Huh. Perhaps there was some hope for them after all.

Kadakism

"Enough, but also not nearly enough," Fahru admitted, playing with one of his rings thoughtfully. "You are both very cautious about the nature of your relationship. I can understand. Not all pairings are seen as equal in the eyes of the general masses." He thought back to the Adelan men he had helped sort out their feelings and find a way to be together without earning the ire of their community. That had been a tough one, admittedly.

"But it is not my place to judge who one's heart pulls one to, or the nature of their relationships. My task is only to see that broken hearts get mended and that people can love themselves as well as others."

He smiled in mirror to Zahir's frown, and gave a small nod. "You seem wary of me, sir. Was it not you who said that only time and continued my continued unexpected manner would earn your trust? Then please, let me take the time to continue my unexpected manners."

DragonSong

Zahir snorted for that, but Lapis thought he was starting to seem more amused than irate, which was always a step in the right direction.

"Hearts don't exactly factor into it," he said bitingly, shooting a quick, narrow-eyed look at Lapis. The scholar ducked her head again, absorbed in her slice of babka. "When fate--or your goddess, as you might claim, I suppose--mandates that two paths cross, they cross. And when whatever that damned force is decides your paths will keep crossing, they do. Regardless of the will of your heart."

Lapis jerked her head up. That was...an odd way to put it. What was that supposed to mean?

Never mind. She could worry about it later. "Zahir." It was more sighed than spoken. "The fact is, we are stuck together, no matter what either of us wants. Isn't it worth listening just to try to figure out, well...how to coexist? Or at least not want to kill each other most of the time!"

The djinn blinked at her. "I don't want to kill you most of the time."

She blinked back. His tone was surprisingly flat and even. "Er--"

He smirked. "Maybe about half."

She closed her eyes and bit back a sharp retort. Aaaaannnd, there it is.

Kadakism

Fahru sighed and shook his head, then smiled and laughed a bit.

"You two say you're not together, but you do actually bicker playfully like a married couple." He turned and focused on Zahir, his eyes closing briefly. "I understand that you are not a believer. That is fine. Your wording is interesting however..."

Steepling his fingers, he leaned his elbows onto the table and looked between them. "If you are willing, I would like to hear your story. As much as you can remember and are comfortable with sharing."

DragonSong

Lapis flushed for his description of their banter and instinctively muttered a defensive, "I'm not sure there's enough affection for it to be considered such."

Zahir laid a hand on his heart and shot her that kicked-puppy look that he was bizarrely good at--really, for a man who dressed the way he did, he should not be able to pull that off so well. "My dear mistress, you wound me. Cut me to the core."

He sobered quickly, snapping from lazy teasing to an intense wariness as his gaze fixed once more on Fahru's face. "Our story? Or just mine?" His voice was still an easy, bored drawl, but his eyes had sharpened again.

Lapis stared at him. That was a very good question; not even she knew as much about Zahir as she would like. If this was her chance to learn more--hells' bells, it was strange, but she'd take it.

Kadakism

"As I said, as much as you are comfortable telling. I find that knowing where we started and where we have been are good ways to find ourselves on the map of life. And once you know where you are on the map, you can better know where you should be going."

Looking at his guests, Fahru hummed softly and glanced at the babka and lemonade. He stood up slowly, "We might need something a bit stronger than lemonade. I'll put on some tea. Strong herbs, good for clearing the sinuses."

"But please, just begin wherever you please. Don't mind me while I work," he said as he grabbed a kettle and some dried herbs to hang on the hook above his hearth.

DragonSong

Zahir stared at him for a long, quiet moment. He was thinking.

Then, in a quick, abrupt movement that actually startled her a little, he snapped his eyes back to Lapis and gave her a definitive sort of jerk of his head.

"Show him."

She blinked. Then she realized what he meant. "What--wait...really?"

He snorted and rolled his eyes, but just gave her another sharp nod rather than a cutting remark.

Lapis eyed him a little warily, then shrugged and reached into the front of her tunic to pull out the amulet that she had been wearing now for the better part of a year.

It was simple enough, a finely cut blue stone set in gold on a gilded chain, and clearly very old. Very very old, though still somehow shimmering gently in the light. Carefully, Lapis lifted the chain from around her neck and placed the amulet on the table.

"That," Zahir muttered, casting a poisonous glance at the piece of jewelry, "is the source of our contract. Does that mean anything to you? Any particular thrummings?"

"Zahir," Lapis protested quietly, but she honestly wasn't sure if he was trying to antagonize Fahru or if the question was genuine. 

Kadakism

Fahru watched the exchange, noting the hesitation and the resignation in each of them in turn, the slight apprehension that they both had. This was a sensitive subject for the both of them, perhaps as or even more sensitive than Lapis' own former slave status. Or, he at least assumed she used to be a slave.

Pursing his lips, Fahru left the tea to simmer as he went over to inspect the amulet more closely. "May I?" he asked, holding out his hand to the necklace tentatively. If Zahir was being glib when he asked about any thrumming in Fahru's chest, he had no idea. The larger man put his hand over his heart, right up against the skin under his shirt.

"Yes, I do in fact. It's quite strong. And if this old thing is what I think it is, it does at least confirm my earlier assumption. Zahir, my dear boy. I hate to ask, because I know the connotations that it generates. But are you, in fact, a Djinn?"

DragonSong

Zahir stiffened, but nodded his acquiescence when Fahru reached for the ancient necklace. Lapis watched the exchange warily, ready to jump in if either the perfumer made an unexpected move or Zahir suddenly decided this was a terrible idea after all.

She was not expecting Fahru's question, and nearly choked on what she'd been attempting to pass off as a casual sip of lemonade. Are we really that obvious?

That was disconcerting.

To her surprise, Zahir did not react nearly so strongly. He just gave the larger man a tight smile and a brief, sharp incline of his head. "Well done, Craftsman Fahru."

Lapis swallowed thickly, eyes darting about in instinctive wariness. Then she focused on Fahru again, a little wide eyed. "That doesn't...bother you?"

The stories about djinn were many, and wildly varied. Some claimed they were spirits of desert fire, forces of cunning and destruction. Some said they were minor gods, or touched by gods, to keep humanity on a guiding path. Others said they were simply devils, given human guise to better corrupt the well-intentioned with seemingly guileless wishes--wishes that always turned sour.

Kadakism

"How I feel about your being a Djinn is not really relevant to the situation, now is it? I offered my assistance to you both, my heart is thrumming with the will of Hakeshna. That is all I need to know or concern myself with."

Fahru spoke so matter of fact as he picked up the pendant and turned it over in his hands. It did create a strange rhythm in the thrumming, making it feel more like the strings of a harp attempting to mimic a heartbeat.

"I don't know what this is, but it is clearly important to your problem. Obviously you both knew this. I can't say I know much about magic or the Djinn firsthand. Mostly just what I hear from the religious authority. Tell me, how did you two come to be bound together by this necklace?"