Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

As Above, So Below [Blue!!]

Started by DragonSong, March 18, 2023, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Then help her find one." Loretta turned and leaned in to brace her hands on the table, practically vibrating with tension. "Please. Help my daughter find a way to either find or contact her father."

"Mum--"

"You said he was your friend, didn't you?" Loretta said fiercely, snapping her head toward her daughter.

"Well, yes, but..." Aya looked at Pyr, a little lost as to what to do or say. She had said that--and she'd meant it--but...they still hardly knew one another. She couldn't expect him to just drop everything to help her.

Blue

Pyr blinked slowly at Loretta, pondering something. It was possible they did not quite understand what it was to ask a demon for something, anything really. Well, that was perhaps not so strange...most mortals got into trouble with demons because they did not actually understand as much as they thought they did about the process. Most demons took you at your word and did not care to verify if you truly understood what you were about to do - if you did not, that was entirely your own oversight.

Well, in the interest of 'friendship', he could at least endeavor to warn them again.

"You need not seem so desperate - there are once again many paths you may take, you need only decide on one. I...do feel like I must make myself explicitly clear, as I believe you may not understand as well as I had hoped. You do not ask a demon for anything without offering something in return. Naturally not everything needs to be bound with a Contract - there is plenty in small favors and things that can be bartered for without need for formalities. Our realm would be quite stymied by tedious negotiations otherwise. Regardless, the core rule remains the same - nothing for free."

DragonSong

Loretta took her seat, and after a moment, Aya sank into hers as well. "In that case," the lieutenant said slowly, carefully, "If we were to ask you this favor...what exactly would you want in return?" Sitting up a little straighter, she added, "Anything it is within my power to do or give, I would, if you promised to look after my daughter while she searches for Samuel."

"Hang on," Aya cut in softly, "if we're talking favors instead of Contracts--shouldn't I be the one asking?" She looked at Pyr, head tilted slightly. "Does that make a difference?"

Though her mother had been studying the occult practically all Aya's life--and now she knew why--Aya herself still only really had a basic understanding of demon deals. Pyr had said nothing came for free, and that she understood, it made sense with what little she already knew. But...well, were they anything like the Fae, where who was asking might matter almost as much as what was asked?

Blue

Ah, now Loretta was speaking with care, as though over-correcting due to the caution he had expounded upon. It wasn't necessary - he was not interested in tricking them, after all - but it was a good habit for the future so he opted not to point that out for now.
Before he could answer, Aya interjected, though to her he simply gave a small shake of the head.

"No, it does not matter unless you were intending to handle the negotiations yourself. Payment comes from the ones making an agreement - any other parties involved in the agreement matter little in that sense. However, as I am your 'friend', I will offer up information that ordinarily a demon would simply assume you already know - and would take advantage of if you did not. Please listen closely."

He held up one long pale finger, as if a teacher making sure his class was attentive, eyes on him.
"Demons function on a series of rules. We are creatures bound by service, for whom power is the ultimate deciding force. There are three main ways by which a demon will serve, if they are not subjugated outright by someone stronger. Striking a bargain is the first method, and the one you are considering. It is the simplest, least-formal method of exchange, and it is not binding. This means that much like mundane mortal contracts, there is nothing holding you to the agreement outside of such things like trust, honor, or consequences. Because this is so, we generally only make bargains for smaller things, where there is not much at stake, not much to really gain or lose. You could strike a bargain with me, if you kept your wishes and expectations quite low, and understood that if the task requires I meddle too much in this realm's affairs that I will not uphold my end. I will not say it is not possible for us to do this, just that it may not yield the results you are hoping for."

DragonSong

Loretta listened solemnly as he spoke, then nodded when he'd finished. "I understand, Pyr. Thank you for your information."

She took a breath, then laid her hands flat on the table in front of her, fingers splayed. Her eyes were steely with determination. "So. To bargain."

Aya found herself tensing slightly. Though Pyr had just explained why a bargain wasn't binding, and wasn't necessarily something to fear in this situation, she still felt...odd about her mother conducting what was essentially a form of negotiation--negotiation about her--in her stead. Maybe she would have argued the point further, but...honestly she was still rather exhausted from her power's awakening. She still felt sort of half-present, as though her mind had been cut in two, half of it sitting at the table with her mother and a demon, the other half with its attention turned inward, trying to familiarize itself with this strange-familiar feeling that now seemed to live just beneath her breastbone.

"If I ask you this favor," Loretta murmured, holding Pyr's gaze, "to watch over my daughter wherever the course of her life next takes her, to keep her safe to the best of your ability--what would you want in return?"

Blue

The shift in mood was felt by all, but perhaps most by Pyr. Some part of him, the part inexorably tied into what it was to be a demon, perked up and strained. But this was not a Contract, nor the third option, and there was nothing to bind them. The urge to do so was there all the same, but Pyr easily ignored it - for now it was best that they were all able to leave this table at any time they wished.

His lips pressed together, which for him was as close to a frown as he might get.
"Your request is too broad. Earlier today I struck a bargain with Aya - 'I will return this shed to its prior state, in exchange you will give me a tour of this place'. Simple enough, straight forward. I did not impose clarifications on Aya for what a 'tour' ought to include, or how long it should be, because I had no specific desires and bargains are meant to be somewhat relaxed. Leaving things vague works in this example, but your request is vague in a way that seeks to cover more, not less. How far? How long? Against what threats? To ask for the 'best of my ability' is not something one gives in a bargain - I do not think you understand what my best ability truly encompasses. I should also note that traveling alongside me is not inherently safe either - events like the ceiling beam falling happen with regularity, and affect those nearest me in time."

DragonSong

Loretta nodded, clearly considering his words. "I see. Thank you." She went quiet, brow slightly furrowed in thought.

Aya shifted slightly in her seat, opened her mouth, then closed it again. She remembered how Pyr had spoken in her mind, and found herself wondering if she could do the same—or if perhaps the connection was still there.

How does this...work? she tried, doing her best to think "at" him, though she couldn't necessarily explained exactly what that meant.

"What if I asked you to accompany Aya for...a month. And to protect her from earthly threats—ones not a result of...what we it was that happened with our ceiling. And, at the end of that month, should Aya still feel she requires your assistance, she may renegotiate a new bargain," Loretta offered after a few more moments.

Blue

The energy Pyr still had wrapped around Aya's own, a precautionary measure, faintly rippled as she awkwardly attempted to re-establish a path of communication. This was enough to alert him that something was going on, even if he did not know it was a deliberate attempt to get his attention.

"Is something wrong Aya? Your energy fluctuated."

Outwardly he showed not a single sign of having noticed anything, nor that he was speaking to Aya at all. His attention was still calmly in place with Loretta and her slow building out of a possible bargain.
He considered this most recent attempt, glad to see she was a fairly quick study overall.

"Better. The time frame is reasonable. Unfortunately, you have your threats mixed up. The misfortune that befalls me is of this realm. The threats to Aya you fear - angels and demons - are of other realms. I recommend you re-word this portion of your request."
Honestly the entire back and forth was beginning to feel like a teacher helping a student craft a document - pointing out mistakes, warning of loopholes, clarifying intention. It was a bit amusing to Pyr personally - most demons would never coach the other party after all, it was much better to take advantage where you could.

DragonSong

Aya tried not to give an external sign of her startlement that...well, it had worked. Sort of. He didn't seem to have heard her words, but he'd sensed something. Oh, shit. I mean-- She blushed slightly, though luckily her mother didn't seem to be paying enough attention to notice the incongruous gesture. I was...sort of experimenting, I guess. Trying to see if I could talk to you like this. I'm...just trying to get a sense of what this all is. What I can do.

Loretta raised her eyebrows slightly. "I see. I had rather assumed you...would not be willing to defend her from otherworldly threads. But, as you say." She dipped her head once, then tried again, "I would ask that you accompany Aya for the next month, and to protect her from any threats she may encounter not of a mundane, earthly nature, with the understanding that there may be forces outside your ability to counteract." She paused, then added, as she had in her previous proposal, "And, at the end of that month, should Aya still feel she requires your assistance, she may renegotiate a new bargain for herself."

Blue

"Ah, I understand. Very reasonable. I do not believe it impossible for you to master the art of speaking without spoken words - you seem to have had a skill for it with beasts already. Speaking in this manner with various sentient creatures takes practice, and many may be able to block your attempts - on that note, you may wish to learn how to do this yourself in the future. Shielding your mind is a useful skill."

Pyr nodded his head slightly in acknowledgement about the threats he would be 'willing' to face - her assumption was not misplaced, truly.
"That is a solid proposition, well done. I wish to note that your assumption is sound, and that it is my own personal circumstances that complicated matters. As I have mentioned - I am already under a Contract of sorts, and so I must still work within its confines while negotiating with you. It may seem strange, but it is far easier for me to interfere with other-realm influences. Ah, now then."

He rolled over the proposal in his mind a few times, considering. While he was certainly being far more lax than any demon had right to be, he did still desire a proper trade for his time and effort.
"I will say this is perhaps on the upper limits of what a 'bargain' might be considered, as I am greatly extending what I consider 'reasonable' for the sake of the bonds of friendship I have accepted from Aya. I only say this to warn you it would not likely be possible with other demons - I am an outlier in all ways, and would not want you to have mis-formed opinions on what is permissible with the vast majority of my kind. You are asking for something that, for both of you, is of rather great value - naturally this inspires an answering desire for value in return. And as I warned before, a bargain is not binding - either side can choose not to uphold their end, and would fear only what consequences the other party might enact. You...should realize that this puts you at a severe disadvantage, being the mortal. There is often a considerable power imbalance inherent to these negotiations, and it is rarely in the mortal's favor. I ask you keep this in mind should you ever negotiate with others."

Being one who had never truly had reason to negotiate with mortals, this experience was quickly becoming rather eye-opening as to why demons had such poor reputation in most realms. If most mortals were entering into negotiations without truly understanding all the rules and nuances, they were ever at a severe disadvantage that they likely didn't realize until it was too late. Pyr had always found the concept of demons being considered duplicitous rather odd, as there was perhaps no other being so firmly bound by their word - now he was realizing it was likely due in large part to a difference in perspective. Clearly what demons often saw as being shrewd and clever, mortals instead considered dishonest and misleading.

In any case, the truly difficult part was next - what might balance the scales against Aya's month-long safety from potential otherworldly attacks? It wasn't that Pyr thought this task particularly difficult or onerous - on the contrary it would likely be interesting, even enjoyable. The point was the value Loretta placed on this task, which was in actuality rather high. It was a bit troubling to think of something a fairly mundane mortal might be able to give him of similar value.

Ah. Fairly mundane. But not entirely. Loretta had a connection to a dragon, after all.
"Explain to me the nature of your connection to your dragon, please."

DragonSong

Yeah. Yeah, shielding seems like it would be really useful. Aya's mouth turned down into a slight frown, though it was more a thoughtful expression than anything else. Not that I don't appreciate all the help you've been giving me, but...it was kinda weird to just hear your voice in my head all of the sudden. I don't think I'd want just anyone doing that.

Loretta's own frown was similar, highlighting just how very alike she and her daughter were both in form and habitual behavior. She nodded along with Pyr again, though she snorted softly at his warnings--though it wasn't an inherently dismissive sound. "Believe me, serrah," she muttered, "I have no plans to engage in further bargaining with demons. Honestly, I'm still not sure I trust you; but Aya does, and I am willing to trust her."

The considering frown was replaced by brief surprise when he asked about her connection to her dragon. "My--Vitala? We...I'm not sure I understand what you're asking." Her frown was back. "Our connection was established mentally during my training when I first entered the military as a dragonrider. I had no specific beastspeaking skill, so we went through an intensive training course to forge and solidify the bond. If you mean...emotionally..." She pursed her lips. "Vitala is my partner. They are like a sibling to me, and I care for them deeply." She tilted her head. "Why do you ask?"

Blue

"Ah, I apologize if I caused any discomfort. It is not a common ability in this realm, but as it seems you may end up dealing with angels and other demons at some point in the future, shielding would be wise as it is fairly common among us."

To Loretta's words, he was a bit disappointed. If that truly was the extent of it, he would not find much avenue for bargaining there.
"Hmm, is that all? A practiced two-way communication method and the familiarity of time and trust? I had hoped you were more touched by dragon influence than that - like a soulbond, or a connection to their magic, or even an exchange of flesh. No matter, it would only have made my attempts to find something of value to request from you easier, that is all."

Back to square one, such as it was. Something of value...something of value...what matched this mother's desire to see her daughter safe awhile longer? Parental connections were foreign to Pyr, and they were terribly inconsistent, but ones like Loretta's were quite powerful. It was fascinating, but at this moment also causing Pyr a bit of trouble. Hmm...though perhaps...therein might lay something of value...? Unique, if nothing else.
"Would you be willing to give up your womb?"

DragonSong

Oh, it's alright—I know you were only trying to help. And you have been helping me. Aya managed to catch his eye for a moment and offered a small smile to accompany the words. Thank you. Really. For...what you did earlier. Whatever that had been, exactly, it had certainly helped.

However, she had barely gotten the expression of gratitude out of her own head when Pyr was putting forward a suggested payment Loretta could give him, and both women promptly choked on their tea.

"My—what?" Loretta gaped at him for a moment. Then blinked and shook her head. "No—I mean, yes, yes, actually I would be entirely willing to give...that up in exchange, but..."

She glanced at her daughter, then shrugged, sighed, and asked with the attitude of someone long-suffering, "How much do you know about the human female reproductive system? Because I am nearly fifty years old now—my womb is not exactly in mint condition."

Aya choked again, half on a laugh, her face very red.

Blue

"You are quite welcome. I am only sorry I could not do more to alleviate your suffering."

And then both women were choking - not in a potentially lethal way, thankfully, but the synchronized nature was a bit odd. What were the odds an emotional reaction might cause them both to 'choke'...? Was that perhaps another mortal response? Fascinating, if not a bit worrisome.

Pyr blinked between the two women, blank-faced as always but clearly somewhat puzzled by their reactions.
"I admit I only have what is likely a very limited understanding - I have not yet been in this realm so long as to have learned all I might want to. As all of the human body deteriorates with age, I imagine your comment serves as a warning that your womb would likely not be capable of producing more offspring? This is not of concern - the value is that it is a womb that once carried a Nephilim."

DragonSong

Seemingly despite herself, Loretta chuckled a bit at his confusion. "Yes," she confirmed in answer to his question, "By my age, most human women cannot produce more children. Granted, I haven't seen a healer about that particular topic recently, but it hasn't exactly been a priority."

"Oh my gods," Aya muttered, dropping her face into her hands. She wouldn't say she was shy about these sorts of things--her mother had always been a very practical woman when it came to teaching her about how her body worked, and would work as she got older. But this was just...it was such a fundamentally odd conversation!

Ignoring her, Loretta continued, "But if you would still consider it of equal value for the favor I am asking, then yes. I would be willing to make that exchange."