Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Family Emergency (Nightcandle)

Started by Anonymous, September 23, 2006, 11:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Kerika wandered the streets of downtown Ketra in the middle of the afternoon.  Really, she had no idea where she was going.  That was pretty much why she was wandering.  Technically she was looking for someone to guide her around the area, and more technically she was looking for her brother, but she didn't seem to be having any luck with either.  Ever since she'd shipped into Adela from the other side of the continent, she'd been practically stumbling around lost.  Forested as it may be, this was a very different country from her Niahi.

So the elf wandered like the sore thumb she was.  Her people didn't necessarily dress the same way as the people on the eastern side of the continent.  What she was wearing could almost be classified as lingerie.  Her blue and silver corset-like garment showed a lot of shoulder and leg.  Her thick soled sandals had accompanying white leggings that went up past her knees.  Her grayish tan hair was long and would have hung lower than her mid back had it not been kept patially bunned at her crown.  Her dull violet eyes scanned the mostly nondescript crowds as she leaned heavily and exhaustedly on her jeweled healer's staff.  She sighed heavily, "I'll never find Keeth at this rate.  It's a miracle I even managed to track him this far."

Anonymous

A patch of sky a few feet ahead of the elven woman darkened and a skinny bolt of lightning sizzled from it, the boom of thunder almost drowning out the screams from the startled crowd. Said crowd drew away from the source, which let it be seen by people that weren't in the immediate vicinity of the mini-phenomenon.

The source raised a pair of dark, paw like hands to the sky and offered them pad up, a motion which sent a few handfulls of stone bracelets to go clattering down their arms. It didn't take a genius to see that it wasn't human, the source looked like the cross between a hyena and a man. It was easily six feet tall and looked cleaner than such a creature seemed to have a right to be. In addition to the stone bracelets, the source sported a sleeveless red linen robe, half a dozen necklaces made of natural materials, two belts with multiple pouches, a scattering of beads in its mane and a lovely chandelier earring set with green stones in its right ear. "The powerrrr of the Omens!" The source announced. "Such powerr can be yourrs for a display of good will." Even though it was the voice of a hyena-human hybrid there seemed to a female quality to it.

Then, as if she was seeing an unseen gesture of good will, she pointed to a woman in a blue shawl and barked. "You will experrrience Death in thrrree days - so say the Omens!"

The woman wasn't amused, either because she was being talked to by a six foot tall hyena or because it was the bearer of bad news. She huffed, put on an indignant face and hurried on her way. A few other people followed in her lead - not wanting to stick around for more doom and gloom... or lightning.

As the crowd began to scatter a girl in a robe similar to the gnoll's trotted up to her and dropped a battered straw hat between her foot-paws, it chinged pathetically. This new person was definitely human-ish. She had all the prerequisite human parts, but had long pointed ears jutting from the sides of her head, reddish-orange eyes and a mop of silver hair that seemed to have a yellow glow to it. Her skin was light brown, like coffee with almost as much milk in it as there was coffee, a few dark red markings were painted on her face, a string with different coloured stones wove through her hair and an earring similar to the gnoll woman's hung from her right ear. The gnoll was nearly a full head and  shoulders (a gnoll head and shoulders mind ye) taller than the girl.

Once she laid the hat at the gnoll's feet she glanced around and ran right up to the elven woman, she clasped her hands behind her back and grinned. "You look lost Miss Lady! I'm sure the omens can guide you." The same cosmic principal that claimed the gnoll was a female now seemed to suggest rubbing ones eyes raw and having another look at the 'girl' again. Then again, she was more than a bit flat-chested and didn't have any hips either...

Anonymous

Kerika stopped in her tracks and let out a little shriek as she turned away from the lightning, clutching her staff protectively.  She just had to stare over at the vaguely female voice that declared the power of omens.  People began to clear away, and the elf was prompted to follow suit.  This was apparently not a welcome display, though she was curious about the lightning.  An elf gir--er, boy appeared before what she recognized as a gnoll, and Kerika was further intrigued.

"I'm not sure about any omens, but would you perhaps be able to talk with the spirits?  I saw the lightning, and I'm only able to ask for their aid, humble as I may be."  Her staff began to spark lightly with electricity before stopping.  "If you could but talk to the spirits, I'm sure I could find what I'm looking for."  She spoke to the elf, but seemed to be addressing them both.

Anonymous

"Spirits?" the boy looked back to the gnoll and raised his eyebrows.

"My child, my child," The gnoll crooned, after picking up the hat and making her way to the girl. She gave the hat to the boy and cupped the elf's jaw gently in both paws. "Child, I have no need to speak to spirrrits rrr when I can interrrprrrete the Omens that guide us."

"Sook, sook! What if she means the other spirits? The type you drink? I've heard people talking to them. They should talk back!" The boy offered eagerly, grinning from ear to ear. Then feeling he needed to explain that he himself couldn't, did so. "I can't talk to them, but I haven't gotten the chance to try either."

Sook, the gnoll, gave the boy a witheringly dirty look and curled her top lip. "The Omens will not stand mockerrrry, boy."

Uh oh... she called him 'boy' he was almost in Trouble. "I wasn't mocking anything," he said pitifully, his ears drooping.

Sook growled briefly, he could be dealt with later. "Forrrgive the young one, child. His motherrrr was a trrrree lady. Not made to think they arrrre. Now, what was it you needed to find? The Omens can show you the path."