Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The IC-News...

Started by Anonymous, December 29, 2006, 10:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I've been thinking...and this is just speculation, but hear me out.

I think that there should be a better and more accessible way for people to post in the IC news section. I understand that a lot of mods are too busy to deal with a PM and post system that seems to exist now.

What we should do is pick RPers here who would be "reporters" or whatnot, and give them a moderator's access to that forum, so that they can post various news stories happening around SOTE.

They, along with the admins, can edit and critique the various stories in terms of whether or not they are newsworthy, and thsu alleviate some of the demands that are placed upon the admin staff!

...I dunno, it's just a thought, but it might be kinda fun.

Anonymous

...o_O

( I use the term 'You' loosely and to describe more than one person.)

That would create problems.. Because there are more than seven people on this board, and there's a slim chance more than two people who aren't in your thread follow it. Therefore, commence powerplaying because things happened in your thread and your thread only.  Just because someone blew up a city in one thread doesn't mean it's happening in other threads. Besides, something that huge is usually talked about with everyone and unfortunately they all have to agree, and since I'm not one for destroying cities, there's little more than a slim chance any of the cities on SotE will get destroyed unless it's for a VERY good reason along with a VERY good plot that is at least interesting and can involve more than a select group of people or at least get more than a select group interested in it.

The whole... Mods being too busy for posts and PMs (Myself and Small Wonder, though Admins ARE still Moderators) doesn't quite fly. I haven't gotten one PM about anything, so my being too busy for "IC news" isn't true because I haven't gotten any to be too busy for.

Also, what would be the point of IC news? If you're interested in a thread or something peaks your interest you read that thread and ask to join it. I know I'm not interested in threads about how the poor little doggy is lost and needs a home with the pretty flower girl who owns fifty cats and wants to do the paper boy, so I don't join them, or read about them. I know a few people aren't big on destruction or how the most powerful mage in the history of mages is kidnapped by a little slip of a girl, so why would they want to know about it?

If you want an IC newspaper, you go ahead and do that. In your threads. Nobody can stop you from doing that, though if you go and spam other people's threads with that we will delete those posts unless the people in the threads express that they don't mind them being there.

Just to remind you again, unless someone joins your thread, or you get other people to agree that it happened there for their threads, it didn't happen. Kinda like an alt-universe for every player where some things happen and some things don't, so the news would be disconnected and confusing.

For instance..

Thread 1 - The King gets married.
Thread 2 -  The world explodes. Before the kings gets married.
Thread 3 - The castle goes boom because of a magical bomb. After the world explodes.

That's all news, but none of it would make sense... How could a king get married after the world exploded?

Either way... it would be too hard to keep track of anyway... So, you can keep your newspaper to your threads... as other people can do to their threads, or you can even PM people with your newspaper thing if they're interested.

Unless, you want to keep track of -everything- that goes on in SotE....  that includes threads that conflict with your's.

...Go me and being long winded.

Anonymous

Good point, I guess.

Hard to respond to such a long post...um...

Well, if that's the case, why do we even have the IC-News section to begin with? It's kinda a waste--especially if we go by the idea that everything that isn't directly acknowledged by individual threads is alternative to everything else.

Not tryin' to make an argument, just clarifying, but if there isn't one major set of continuity or some method of getting things done/posted, why have the IC News forum in the first place?

And PMs don't always work--I've sent PMs on the subject and have received limited responses. I'm not at all whining about anything, but like I said, I'm just kinda thinking.

Rhindeer

It would be difficult. I could see articles being written about major events, of course, such as site-wide plots and such as those would be general articles that would effect the whole. But of course, due to the nature of the site and the amount of individual threads, things that effect locations on a very large scale should be discussed in advance by everyone that plays there because, well, likely enough it may end up effecting other people's plots. ^^;;

I had a PM in the works to send you, Rent, but...since this thread is here now, I'll just edit it and stuff.

The IC news section is for news that does effect the site on a whole, and plots can contribute to the news, certainly. But the IC-news seems more focused on the big stuff, announcing major site-wide events and the like, whether they be just fun occasions or serious stuff that will effect a lot, like a war between kingdoms, a major outbreak, or just a seasonal ball. However, these things do have to be discussed as a site in advance, too--at least, the things that will cause mass destruction. XD That can generate more interest on the whole, and ensure that everyone is on the same page. Of course, those people who don't want to participate in the big site-wide plot that the majority are in favor of can always set the time period for their own plots before or after the disaster.

Another big point is, well...the leaders of the country that is being effected also definitely need to have a say in the plot, since otherwise...it'll be a bit weird. Of course, this can be a bit...hard...since Nightcandle and Gold seem to be away, but...hey, there's Adela. XD For myself, as the player of the leaders in Adela, I really don't mind too much what happens there as long as I know what's going on and any mass destruction of cities is discussed in advance with the other players and myself. Just because I want my leaders to be able to respond appropriately and do their job. XD But heck, attempt to assassinate and blackmail and etc. the characters all ya want. I'm down with that, and they need something to do, anyway.

From the first PM, the plot sounded like something that could potentially make the news and generate player interest, because from the sound of it, it was a viral outbreak that had only killed a hundred or people, and I know a while back a site-wide virus plot had been discussed and people wanted to do it. But...^^;; then in the next PM, it went from that to the city being below sea level and everyone dead and/or evacuated. So, there was pretty much a big difference between the two. The first one allowed people in threads in Arca to potentially get involved and respond if they were interested, while the second, well...players that were involved in Arca and informed of this after the fact might, well, be a bit upset/confused to find that the place they're playing with is...pretty much gone. XD

So! That's just why it's important to talk about this in advance, so everyone is on the same page and everything. *nodnod* And the big events (and we do need some good site-wide plots here and there to unify everything, I definitely agree there and am willing to offer Adela--I was planning on having a sort of ball, as those things are simple plot devices that often generate all sorts of plotty stuff) can be written about as IC-news.

I hope this makes sense. ^^;;

EDIT: As another note, I see nothing wrong with destroying areas on like, say, the All the Lands of Earth boards or such, because, well, those are general locations that could be anywhere, and you can create your own cities, kingdoms, and locations there. But destroying actual established cities like the castle or Ketra and stuff is what needs to be discussed in advance.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Ahhh!

Ok, I get it now--that makes more sense. Well...my plans for Arca would involve the city being potentially returned to its former state, as a large storyline would be organized for that express purpose.

The IC-News would have really just been a means of letting people know about it. Ultimately, it's unneccessary, as I can just make the situation sometime "in the future" or not at all, and just have it as a "what-if" when I post it in Echoes for the Future.

If possible, could I have the PM'd articled back? Like, could you PM it back to me? I'd very much like to use it as the introduction to the plot event I'd post in Echoes.

Anonymous

pssst, look at your 'sent box' unless you sent sixty or so PMs since you sent Small Wonder the thing then you should still have it. (:

Anonymous

Er...

I have sent sixty or so PMs.

It's not there anymore.  :(

Anonymous

XD Holy Crap.

Well uh... Hopefully Small Wonder hasn't gotten sixty or so or it's loooong gone.

Anonymous

Ehehe...<_<

>_>

I'll just post in Echoes without.

Anonymous

that would be a cool idea.. like you guys said... if only the site stayed constant instead of different realities for every thread...  :D