Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

This is a reporting-orting-rting (Aubrey here!)

Started by Anonymous, June 10, 2007, 09:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

There wasn't much in the folder Lefteanant General Ceart Deimos was given in preparation for this briefing.  A page written in General Verde's unadorned handwriting and a heavy vellum envelope.  The envelope was a letter to King Fenway of Serendipity and contained a letter of introduction and statement of purpose for one Alaois Vaili, ambassador from Connlaoth.  The page's content was in some ways similiar to the letter's, only the introduction was cut and the purpose wasn't quite the same.

General Deimos closed the folder, slid it aside and rested her hands on the desk.  Her office wasn't much to look at, simple and utalitarian.  A desk, three chairs, a map on the wall and plenty of empty space.  She wouldn't accept a room with a window, so a pair of lanterns were the room's only other decorations.  The desk and chairs were beautifully polished, finely constructed and mighty lonely looking against the bare wooden floor and mostly unadorned walls.

She'd ignored General Phobos' suggestion to wear her dress uniform, instead wearing her normal uniform.  The metal rank insignia on the dress uniform would just draw the ambassador's eyes up to her scarred face.  Not that they wouldn't find them on their own.  It was hard to hide the coloured whorls cut into the right side of her face that continued as white whorls in her dark brown hair, the missing ear her tightly braided hair bared and the gloves that no other member of the Connlaothian military wore outside of winter.  It was hard to impress and awe someone with a few bits of cloth and shiny metal when just looking at you was a sight.

The ambassador would be arriving any minute now, on the heels of her assistant Chornal Alven.  Polite and effecient, that one.  He would get her here without any delays.

Anonymous

The ambassador entered behind a sharply dressed, professional soldier. She seemed to bring with her a drop in the temperature of the room, perceptible only by degrees - it was the sort of thing that crept up on you, until abruptly you realized you were freezing, had been for some time, and wondered how you didn't notice before. Of course it wasn't a physical coldness, but Alaois had the effect of making people want to shiver nevertheless. She gave the general a coolly polite smile and halted an exact three and a half steps from the desk.

"General Deimos," Alaois said delicately, her eyes flickering over the scars, the missing ear and the rest of it without so much as a raised eyebrow or the tiniest change of expression. It took more than that to ruffle her, though it certainly was an impressive display. "It's a pleasure to see you." From some people, that might have come with a hint of irony. Alaois managed it with a straight face and a perfectly level tone - she probably actually meant it, too, as much as she ever did.

Anonymous

((Sorry for the late-ish reply, gotta battle the twin demons of Tired and Lazy once I get in from work, blagh.))

Chornal Alven stepped out of the general's office once the Lady Vaili was inside and, despite himself, shivered.  

General Deimos didn't return the ambassador's smile, though one corner of her mouth twitched when the woman didn't immediately take a seat.  Either she was waiting to be offered a chair, or she heard that soldiers stood when they were reporting into a higher rank.  No gasps of shock, no surprised look, no lip curled in disgust.  Composure was something needed for this job.  There would be weirder Out There.

"Good Morning Lady Vaili," she replied, her voice easily filling the room.  All the more reason for Chornal Alven to stand outside while she was giving this briefing.  She had no doubt anyone with their ear pressed to the door would hear her.  "Have a seat," she swept her left hand toward the chairs placed before her desk, and as she brought the hand back slid the folder back in front of her.

Anonymous

((No problem, I completely understand. These things happen to everyone from time to time. ^^))

The woman moved smoothly to one of the chairs and sat down, her motions at once graceful and stiffly composed. She sat with her back rod-straight, flat against the back of the wooden chair, chin slightly raised in cool confidence laced with almost arrogance, though of a quiet sort that confronted no one directly (unless and until she wanted to). "Thank you, General," she said with curt politeness, hands folded neatly on her lap.

Pale blue eyes flickered to the folder on the desk, underneath the general's hand, and then returned to her face, all without a change in her composure or expression. "I understand you were to brief me on Serendipity and its... inhabitants before my departure?"

Anonymous

"Yes.  Serendipity, her inhabitants and what will be expected of you during your time there.

"The kingdom of Serendipity is the closest major civilization to our nation.  We believe it was inhabited by undesirables chased from our lands when Connlaoth was founded.  The kingdom is similiar in size to our own, bordered to the north by our southern mountains, to the south and west by the Ora river, to the east by the Hivan Ocean.  Mostly grassland from what we've seen

"Beware her inhabitants Lady Vaili.  There are many creatures there that wear the faces of men and even the honest men have lived there lives where magic is accepted - embraced even.  The Matron has requested Serendipity's King Fenway to protect you from any that wish to revenge their kin on you.  Hostile action towards you shall be seen as hostile action toward the nation of Connlaoth and we shall respond as such.  Always be on your guard, you cannot trust that an insane mage will listen to their king.  We shall provide you with a guard for your protection should you wish one.  

"I apologize for the lack of specific information.  While it is the nature of your job to promote the truce between our two nations, you're also expected to learn as much as you can about the kingdom and report it back to Connlaoth.  As far as Serendipity is concerned, you're there to show our desire for peace and to negotiate a series of 'control points' to keep mages and their kind from entering our nation.  You must also take note of everything - the layout of their cities, what they produce, what they trade with their neighbors and most importantly how their army is structured."

General Deimos paused then, took the letter from the folder and held it up.  "This, you are to deliver to King Fenway, it will state your purpose for being in his court.  Do you have any questions?"

Anonymous

Alaois listened quietly, without a shift in her position or her expression, perfect calm and perfect composure. There was no nodding to assure the general she understood - of course she understood, she prided herself on perfection and either knowing everything or being able to know everything on first hearing it, and she wouldn't have been offered this position if she hadn't been... well, as close to perfect as she is. She didn't speak until the general asked if she had any questions, and then she smiled icily, shaking her head very slightly.

"No, General Deimos. Thank you. I won't require a guard - I have my own men at arms, and I would hate to take soldiers from home where they may be needed. I will be sure to send regular reports on the... nature of affairs in Serendipity." She leaned forward a little and held out her hand for the letter, still with the same chilly smile.

Anonymous

"Good," General Deimos replied, laying the letter in the ambassador's open hand.  "Chornal Alven will see to your needs while you're in the castle.  If there is is anything you need before you begin your trip, inform him and he will do his best to procure it for you.  I look forward to hearing of your success Ambassador Vaili."

((Sorry for the short post >.< Deimos is an A to B sort of gal.))

Anonymous

((No problem. ^^))

Alaois tucked the letter carefully into the sash of her dress, and nodded shortly as she rose to her feet in one smooth, feline movement. "Thank you, General. I appreciate it." She gave a slight nod of her head - the closest the general would get to a curtsy out of her, and then turned, heading for the door in all her chilly imperiousness.

The room may have warmed a few degrees with her departure, or perhaps it was only imagination.