Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dare you Trust the Music of the Night?

Started by Anonymous, March 02, 2005, 03:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Ooh." Waelin nodded sagely, though truth be told, he had no idea what 'praying' actually was. Father had once tried to explain it to him but...well, he hadn't been paying much attention, and it had been such an abstract concept to him, that it just hadn't stuck. The young man turned and looked at the piano as it was addressed. His slender face screwed up a bit as he walked closer to the instrument.
"Father used to make me practice every day with my sister..." He reluctantly sat down on the bench and stared at the worn keys.
He then glanced at William
Well...he had said he liked the sound it made...

Waelin took a moment to place his fingers on the keys, and glanced under the piano to place his small, gargoylish feet on the peddals. "Ok, let's see if I remember how to play this thing for you." He grinned, then thought of one of the songs he had been taught. Picking his favorite, he began to play. The tune was almost melancholy, and its haunting sounds floated throughout the chapel. It was played slowly, but every tune flowed together seemlessly. Waelin was surprised at the ease by which he remembered how to play. "This is a drowish song my Father taught me. It's called "Ul'nusst d'lil Jallil", or "Cry of the Lady" in common." He wrapped up the song and sat back, rather proud of himself. "I'm surprised I even remembered how to play...I prefere my flute." He had always hated practicing piano...
"So um..." Waelin waved his legs back and forth over the edge of the bench. "Can I...watch you pray? I used to watch all the time from up in the rafters, but never up close before." He hadn't noticed William's saddness yet.

Anonymous

William watched curiously as Waelin made his way over to the piano and sat.  The boy looked at him and then began to play for him.  How thoughtful.  William smiled as Waelin played, listening to the beautiful song he played.  It was a very impressive song, and William would remember it well.  "Cry of the lady..." he repeated softly, continuing to listen to the sweet sound.  He memorized both names of Waelin's song as well as the notes.  "You play very well." He complimented after Waelin had finished and he clapped his hands freely, forgetting about his self-consciousness for that moment and showing his hands.  Then Waelin had asked to watch him pray and he had to think about that for a second.  "Um..." what was there to watch?  William didn’t exactly pray traditionally as people usually did.  Or rather, he didn’t believe you had to show anything to pray.  He believed, with his machine mind, that it was possible for even him to communicate to 'God'.  "...Sure, I don’t see why not." He smiled lightly.  "But, can I ask you something, Waelin?" he paused.  "Why would you like to watch me pray?" He asked curiously.

Anonymous

Waelin ducked his head with a blush as he was complimented. "Uh..heheh...thanks..." He mumbled, staring down at his clawed feet. William started to clap, and with a short laugh, Waelin bounced up and gave a play bow. "Thank you, thank you!" He giggled again, shaking his head and sitting once the applause had ceased.
A huge grin broke out as William agreed to let him watch. "Thank you! I promise I won't iterrupt or anything! At least, I'll try not to..." He wasn't particularly good at shutting up and watching...
Ask him something? "Sure, what is it?" Waelin actually cocked his head to the side, waiting for the question. When it came, he blushed lightly and scratched at his chin. "Um..well...I dunno...I guess I'm just...curious about it." He shrugged, again looking down at his feet, wiggling his toes.
"I just never thought to ask anybody else who came in..."
He peeked up through his feathery light hair. "You sure you don't mind...?"

Anonymous

"Oh.  I see." He thought to himself for a moment, looking at the ground and then back at Waelin.  "No...its all right.  I'm just not sure what you would find interesting." William thought about it.  What was so interesting about watching him stand there with his eyes closed and speaking in his mind?  Well, he could play the piano while he prayed, but still.  This actually made poor William a little nervous.  He felt weird thinking about Waelin watching him stand there.  Oh well.  "All right, then."  William smiled and walked up to Waelin, sitting right beside him on the bench.  Slowly, he pulled out his hands and set them out on the keys, unsure of what to play.  Why was this affecting him so unusually?  A machine's mind acting like a human's again.  William sure was an interesting piece of technology all right.  William took a soothing breath and closed his eyes, beginning to play a song that came to mind.  Once again, his near perfect music filled the empty room, the soft sounds echoing, radiating the peaceful tone.  Though peaceful this one was, it sounded sad.  It seemed to be a very personal song for him, and since he was praying, he expressed what he felt through his music.

Anonymous

Waelin was relieved when William did not take back his invitation, so to speak, of letting Waelin watch him pray. He had been a bit worried there for a minute...
The little gargoylish boy scooted over a bit as William came to sit down, turning his slender body around and placing both feet up on the bench, knees hugged to his chest. Resting his chin on them, he watched William begin to play, listening to the practically flawless music that came out.
Wow...he was good...
And he prayed different than any other person had before.

The music at first sounded so soothing and peaceful, but he soon picked up on the real undertones of it.
Sad...
This man put off waves of someone who was sad...
And the music, which always showed the heart of a person, reflected it.
So sad...

Suddenly, there was a weight on William's lap. Waelin was curled up there, facing the piano, a surprising amount of his slender body able to fit, though his feet and most of his tail still lay out on the cool wooden surface of the bench.
Tears sat waveringly on the surface of his sky-blue eyes, and that surprised him. He had never gotten emotional over someone else's music before...
"William..." He whispered, "...why are you sad?"

Anonymous

There was a slight jump in William's playing as he was taken by surprise, but he continued playing nonetheless.  His eyes opened and he looked down at his lap, a slight blush filling his cheeks lightly.  He then relaxed, smiling a bit with somewhat sad eyes, and then veered his attention to the keys of the piano.  And then Waelin spoke.  William lowered his head at what Waelin had said, staying silent for a while as he spoke, his sweet music continuing to play its ever saddening tune.  "...Because I...I am not human..." he whispered sorrowfully.  He looked at his bare metal hand just then.  "...because...people...try to kill me..."  He continued, purely honest.  William then removed his bare hand from the keys, continuing the song with one hand, though the emotion still got through with the limited tones.  He placed that hand on Waelin's head and rubbed his hair lightly as he tried to smile a little, his eyes making their way back to Waelin.

Anonymous

Waelin noticed the jump in Will's music, and tried to mask his grin. The tears that had been sitting on the surface of his eyes had finally fallen, a single tear traveling slowly down each cheek. He continued to listen to the hauntingly sad music, unmoving in his spot on William's lap. But the answer to his question eventually came. Not human? Well, neither was he...
Oh...
People tried to kill him??? Who in their right mind would try and kill somebody so nice!?

Waelin was about to speak when William placed a hand on his head and gently rubbed his hair. He blushed lightly before he could help it. He had done it to comfort Will, but maybe crawling into his lap hadn't been such a great idea...
Of course, he would think of that now.
"Well, I still like you perfectly fine! I'm not human either, I'm an enchanted stone gargoyle." Oops...shouldn't have said that...
Dammit, another secret lost!
"A.anyway...I'll protect you from any mean, stupid people who try to hurt you, okay? You're way too nice to get killed!"
His logic may have been a bit childish, but he turned his head and grinned up at William, his pure intentions evident.
Waelin had just made himself another friend. Maybe this one would stick around a bit longer than the others...
He hated being lonely.

Anonymous

William smiled at Waelin's confession.  He'd believe just about anything was possible right now.  "Oh?" he smiled a little more, amused by Waelin's open honesty.  It's not everyday you find such a good kid like him.  His smile only grew as Waelin continued.  "Why...thank you, Waelin.  That's very kind of you." He continued brushing his incredibly intricate skeletal fingers through Waelin's soft hair.  Little did Waelin know that the near death experiences of his would have definitely killed a normal man.  But William wouldn’t die so easily.  Though he's wished it so many times, seeing the fear and hatred in peoples' eyes.  If he died, it would make them happy, but, he was always left for dead, waking later to find himself hurting even more inside.  "And...I...I am a machine...a piece of equipment given the appearance of human..." he confessed.  "I guess that makes us the same in some ways then, doesn’t it?" he kept his smile.  Finally, someone who William could relate to.  Maybe meeting this boy would help William for the better.

Anonymous

Well, as long Father didn't find out he had told anybody, his hide should escape a good whipping...
But little got by Father, so the chances of that happening were pretty slim...
Waelin grinned at William's thanks. It made him feel warm inside to be thanked...made him feel alive.
"You are very welcome William! I may not look like much, but I have my tricks!" And he stuck out his pink tongue playfully with a wink. He wouldn't be telling any of those tricks anytime soon, either!

All the gentle petting was sending shivers down his spine. He had never really had his hair pet or rubbed or...well anything aside from brushed really. It was quite nice...
Dammit, he was blushing again...

Waelin sat up in William's lap abruptly, grinning sheepishly. He still only reached under Will's chin, due to their extreme height difference. "Yep, I think that does make us similar!" His tail twitch about behind him, having had to shift when Waelin abruptly changed positions. His slender, pant-clothed legs had moved too, with one propped up on the bench (he was still sideways) and the other hanging off of William's own legs. He randomly poked at Will's chest. "I like your jacket. I need to get some new clothes...these ones are practically falling off..."
And so, again without warning, Waelin leaned over, under the piano. His tail partially wrapped around Will's waist to provide balance as he moved a few planks of wood under the instrument. He then popped back up again with a baggy white button-up shirt and tan pants that also looked like they wouldn't quite fit him. He grinned sheepishly again. "Father's stuff. It'll fit me ok though."
Still on Will's lap, Waelin startled to wrestle himself out of his old, tattered shirt, a bone-white flute falling out in the process and landing in Waelin's lap.
It was carved rather roughly with pictures of dragons curling up its sides.

Anonymous

William smiled at Waelin's young behavior.  He sure was nice company to be around.  He didn’t usually get to talk like this with anyone, so he was happy.  Waelin sat up and William blinked in surprise and when Waelin poked his chest, he looked down at his finger.  New clothes?  This caused William to look Waelin over from head to toe as the boy sat pleasantly in his lap.  He smiled lightly and gave a small heh at Waelin's comment.  And then the little rascal proved himself to be quite limber as he twisted about, sitting back in William's lap with his Father's clothes.  Waelin then began to change in front of him, but William didn’t say anything, assuming the boy was all right doing what he did.  So William too, thought there was nothing wrong with it.  He was pretty adaptable actually, willing to accept pretty much anything.

Anonymous

It wasn't until Waelin had fully wrestled the shirt off of his body that he realized what he was doing. GAH! He had been so comfortable around William he hadn't even thought about it first!
Waelin froze for a moment, the old shirt now discarded on the floor. His body was just as slender as one might expect it to be, petite but not skinny, and there was something else. From right below his armpits down to his abdomen, his chest was wrapped tightly in lengths of raggid cloth.
Crap!
He quickly went to work on Father's shirt, ripping two slits in the back for his leathery wings.
"I'm sorry....I wasn't thinking..." He was blushing furiously. "I'm pretty clutzy sometimes, and I tend to hurt myself..." He offered in explination of the wrappings, quickly covering them again with his father's shirt.
The front was buttoned up in record time, and he took a care to get off of William's lap and move to the other side of the piano, primarily out of view, to change pants. He finally came back around, now clothed in the baggy, but clean, articles. "Ok, much better!" He announced, quickly recovering from his previous embarrassment.
He then realized he had left his flute in Will's lap. "Oh, sorry. That's the flute I made."

Anonymous

William just watched innocently, even until Waelin froze, wondering what was wrong.  Waelin was suddenly in a rush and William kind of stepped in.  "Its all right.  You don’t have to rush." He rested his hands on Waelin's shoulders gently to calm him down, rubbing lightly.  "I've seen plenty of bandages before." He tried to reassure him, not wanting Waelin to panic and maybe hurt himself again.  Waelin then went to finish changing behind the piano after he got the shirt on and that’s when William noticed the flute he had left.  He picked it up and examined it.  His attention returned to Waelin after he declared he was finished and then commented on the flute.  "Its very nice." He complimented, looking at it again.

Anonymous

That had been close...and Waelin was nervous about the tingly sensation still in his shoulders from William's rubbing them. It was making it so the blush didn't fade as quickly as it should.
Drat drat drat!
Hopefully William didn't notice...
Yeah, right...

Waelin rubbed his head sheepishly. "Hehe, thanks..it's not near as nice as my sister's though. I'm not as good at carving as she is." He finally regained the courage to stop acting weird and again sit next to William on the bench. He allowed the other to look over the instrument as much as he liked. "I can play all sorts of things on that. I can even summon dragons. Not as many as my sister just yet. She's had more practice." He explained calmly, staring at his gargoylish feet as they swung back and forth just above the ground.

Anonymous

William did notice the blush, but he was clueless to assume.  "I'm sorry if I embarrassed you.  You just seemed so comfortable and I didn’t want to do anything wrong.  I just thought it might help when you hasted your pace.  And you said you get hurt a lot so I wanted you to slow down a little.  " He spoke honestly with an innocent smile.  "Hmm.  I think it's done quite well.  I've never made one before.  It looks hard."  He replied as Waelin sat next to him again.  Hard?  He could play the piano flawlessly and he called THAT hard?  "Dragons? Really?" he asked, truly curious as he looked it over some more before handing it back to its owner.  Waelin stared at his feet again and William noticed.  He placed his bare hand on Waelin' s head again, his self consciousness fading as he warmed up to Waelin.  William looked over Waelin's clothes just then and pondered.  "Um...Did you need some more clothes?  Or anything?  I mean...I could take you to get some if you like." He offered kindly.  Right now Waelin was his only friend and he really didn’t want to leave.  Maybe he was a little clingy without realizing it, but William didn’t want to leave this comforting feeling.

Anonymous

Waelin's gaze immediately snapped up to William as he tried to apologize. He quickly threw up slender hands. "Oh no no, don't be sorry! I just haven't been around anybody in awhile, so I'm a bit more twitchy than usual...it's not your fault, you didn't do anything wrong." He was quick to assure his new friend of this, not wanting him to have to feel sorry over something he didn't even understand. That hadn't been why he was blushing...
Well, not exactly anyway...

Waelin grinned and rubbed the back of his head, taking the flute from Will when it was handed to him. "Thanks...it's really not all that hard to make, but carving it nicely and making it seem perfect is difficult." He was then rubbed on the head yet again, and grinned before he could help it. He wasn't used to getting so much friendly attention!
"Yep, dragons, really..." He blinked up at Will as the strange offer was made. He then smiled warmly. "Thanks William! Actually, I'd like that alot. But we should do that tomorrow...it's late now." He bounced off the bench and stood next to William in all his 4' 1" glory. "Do you have a place to stay tonight? If not, you can stay here. Father's study is just behind a neat secret door, behind the alter. There's plenty of room." Well, especially now, seeing as how Father was gone...
He felt a bit nervous staying back there without at least some company. He wasn't used to that warm room being so empty...

Anonymous

"Oh...All right then.  We can go tomorrow then."  /William was happy that Waelin accepted his offer, feeling less weird now.  "Hmm?  Oh...no, I don’t really have a home or anything..." he admitted.  He could never really stay in one place long enough to.  He always ended up having to leave for some reason or another.  And then Waelin offered him a room.  "Th-that'd be great...uh...than you very much." William smiled grateful for Waelin's hospitality.  "I'd love to stay...uh... I mean..." he got excited and spoke before he could control himself.  He felt unusual being excited like this, and he didn’t want to lose this new friend he had, so he just wanted to be appreciative.

Anonymous

Waelin was sad to hear that William did not have a home. He may have run away, but at least he'd had a home to run away from. The thought of not having a home was actually rather frightening...
But things perked up soon enough.
The little gargoylish boy beamed at William when he finally answered. "Great! Then it's all set! Come on!" He grabbed William by the hand and quickly led him along, away from the piano and toward the very back of the church, where the alter stood. He marched right up to what appeared to be an ordinary wall, and then pushed with all of his meager body weight behind it, until the wall opened up to reveal itself as a door.
"Come on in!"

Not that William had a choice, as Waelin still hadn't released his hand, and was now leading him into a cozy, circular room. The wall closed behind them, and the warmth from what appeared to be a firplace with no wood in it enclosed them. There was a large leather-bound red chair next to the fireplace, with a small side table full of books next to it. The room was entirely made of gray stone, and most of the walls were lined with books. There was also a rug on the floor, large and circular, to give cushion to the wooden floor. A loft had been built overhanging the far wall, where a majority of the books were. "That's where the beds are." Waelin announced, pointing to said loft. There was a ladder leading up to it, made of light wood.

Anonymous

William was abruptly taken by Waelin and guided to the secret room, though he followed willingly so he wouldn't be dragged.  He walked int the room behind Waelin and took in the cozy sight before him.  "Wow.  This is...interesting." he said softly, taken by surprise.  He gazed about the round room after watching the door close behind them, examining the unusual quarters.  The wall of books caught the majority of his attention.  William loved books.  They contained so much entertainment.  Especially the ones that told stories.  He glanced at the beds as Waelin pointed them out and then continued looking over the names so of the books.  "Alright." He smiled, gazing about in amazement.  "Beautiful room." He complimented, returning his smile top Waelin after looking.  "Am...Am I allowed to read these books?" he asked curiously.  It didn’t matter what kind of book it was, William could read it.  He had an unusual ability when it came to that.  He picked up language almost immediately, just by reading.  It was almost as if he could decipher anything.  Could that be his purpose?  If it was, William had no idea.  He only read for his own enjoyment, occasionally picking up informational books from time to time.

Anonymous

As William stood admiring, Waelin was rembering the exquisite feel of home. He was also still loosely holding William's hand, and hadn't yet realized it. It was only William's words that snapped him out of his memories, and yet he still did not remember to let his guest's hand go.
"Thanks! I like it...it's home..."
Books? Oh! Duh, the huge bookshelves! Waelin grinned up at William.
"Of course you can! Read as many as you want! Just, don't touch the ones on Father's little table there," He pointed to the small side-table next to the chair. "Those he's not done with, and he'd be cross if they were touched while he was away."

Finally, reality clicked in, and Waelin quickly released William's hand, and then rushed over to the small ladder to hide his blush. Stupid...
He could have just flown up into the second, bed-level, but it was just so much more fun to climb up the smooth wooden ladder instead.
Once up, he bounded over to his bed (a pile of fluffy blankets, pillows, and soft sheets), to find it untouched and clean. Yes!!
Waelin leaned over the edge of the wooden platform, grinning. "Just come up when you're ready, ok? There's plenty of room up here for ya, and you can sleep in my sister's bed. It's really just a pile of blankets and stuff anyway."
And with that, he dissapeared back over the edge, and curled up happily in his bed, removing his pants without a care and snuggling in, warm and cozy.
It was good to be home...

Anonymous

He smiled down at little Waelin after he explained.  "All right." He acknowledged the forbidden books.  Then Waelin skipped away from Wiliam's hand rather nervously, but he didn’t think of it that way.  Waelin was just a sweet person to him.  Someone kind enough to hold his freakish hand.  And that meant a lot to him.  Normally, no one would set foot near him if they saw his body.  His eyes followed Waelin over to the ladder and then watched him climb up to his bed.  William did notice the blush; in fact, he saw it quite clearly.  But...he took no realization of it.  He was very open-minded.  And everything he saw was still a part of his learning experience.  "Oh...A-all right..." he smiled again.  Wow...such kindness.  He actually trusted William to such an extent??  William didn’t know what to say, but he was truly grateful.  In fact, William was so grateful that something ran down his cheek before he turned to look at the books again, though It was more to hide his face.  Was that a tear??  A machine crying??  William took a quiet breath and relaxed, trying not to let it show and began to unbutton his jacket.  Once he finished unbuttoning, he unzipped the zipper behind the buttons and opened the front, but then paused.  He stared in front of him for a moment, lowering his head a little.  He had just thought about what was underneath his coat and froze.  Crap...  Poor William...  He didn’t want Waelin to see him like that.  What would the boy's reaction be??  William was scared now...  

Underneath that dressy black coat, William had a skin-tight sleeveless black shirt on.  It was nearly ripped to shreds and his skin shoed right through it.  His body was definitely human looking, but then again...  From his neck down, horrid scars layered his still very soft and delicate skin.  The tissue was discolored from normal fleshy tones to unusually bray and metallic tones, though the skin was still soft and human to the touch.  Some areas were even semi-clear skin, as well as muscles, revealing some areas down to the cybernetic bones of gray.  His chest trembled as he took another shaky breath, the muscles flexing just as a human's would.  Scrolling down, the consistent pattern led down past his belted black pants.  There were tears in the upper legs of the pants and the belt was nearly cut through.  That beautiful coat his all this pain, covering all the way down to his ankles.  And just now, he had realized his body...finding himself unable to remove his coat...  So he stood there...struck by fear.  His eyes saddened as he paused, time still passing and Waelin probably noticing him standing there for a while now...