Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The world that was

Started by Anonymous, April 22, 2009, 02:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

[center:fsupixw4][/center:fsupixw4]

When I was first taking a look at the board and its setting, one of the things that interested me the most was the past. Unlike many of the Fantasy RPGs I've come across over the years, where it's either some alternate Earth history where magic simply always existed, or an entirely different world altogether, I very much liked the idea that our past civilization had crumbled along with much of the planet, leaving the world and mankind itself to rebuild.

Inside the world overview, it states that:
QuoteThe Earth has been reborn and renewed to the state of perfection it was in at its initial formation, though countries and continents that once existed are no more, for the formation of land masses is entirely different. That does not, however, mean that remnants and ruins of the old civilizations do not still exist.
However, I was sad to see that there was virtually no representation of this in the forums. I'm aware (through reading the FAQ) that individual members can make up certain areas of their choosing to explore, but I think that with such an interesting story idea and concept as this, that it deserves to have a forum or set of forums of its own.

I can easily imagine an entire ruin of a city, with the immobile and totally useless husks of cars and vehicles strewn about on paved roads that have all but been swallowed up by the shifting earth. By this time the buildings barely have any floors, and exist now as hauntingly skeletal structures of twisted steel, some leaning in one direction or another like helter-skelter gravestones. Perhaps there could even be lands around the area that are poisoned by radiation (a concept which is no longer understood in this age) or some mysterious affliction that keeps nature from entirely reclaiming the area, leaving it as a hallowed and frightful sort of monument to the mistakes of the past.

It could be extremely interesting to explore such a place through RP and lore.

Just my two cents.

Rhindeer

Ooooh, I think I should probably clarify the info a bit. xD

By remnants of old cultures I meant it more in the sense of...kinda like what archaeologists dig up today. You might find a fairly well preserved item if you're lucky, but most stuff has just been lost to time and reclaimed by the wild. Radiation is no longer a factor, either, since it's been so long, and, well, most of the buildings have just decomposed or been lost entirely to shifting landmasses, the oceans, etc., or just wind up as rubble that's now buried under dirt and grass. Modern-day buildings aren't really built to last.

It's been a reeeally long time since the continents have shifted and changed so dramatically. xD Of course, this Earth is pretty alternate universe since there's magic and elves and stuff, but yeah.

Basically, you'd be lucky to find a skeleton structure. You'd be more likely to find broken up scraps of metal that look like they go to something, and wonder what it was. Connlaoth might have gotten some of its technology by finding a fairly well preserved gun and studying it, for example. ^^ There were also probably some survivors from the past, and through them some of the ancient things survived--but over time were modified, absorbed, and became something entirely new as the world and its people rebuilt. That's why some modes of dress may have some influences similar to stuff that existed before, though it's been changed a lot and hardly even resembles what it once was. And now entirely new cultures exist.

So it's there for a little flavor so the people of today know there was SOMETHING before them, something that was destroyed and probably was bad, but there's just not much left of it, and it's not really the focus. x3 The focus is on the countries that exist now!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous