Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Without a Clue

Started by Anonymous, April 11, 2005, 11:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

(OOC: Okay so this my first post here, so go easy on me okay?)

(IC:)

Nahar walked aimlessly down the streets of Adela, her feet leaving faint footprints and making not a noise upon the dirt. The clouds above her closed in on the pale cresent moon, stopping all light that would otherwise made this darkened world a bit more bearable. A few brave stars poked out between gaps in the clouds, determined to make their light visable to guide travellers below. Nahar shivered and pulled her cloak tighter around her, and threw up her hood to hid pointed elven ears. No need to announce that fact to a strange world that she was not certain would accept her. She shivered again, not from the chill of the night this time, but from sheer nerves. She felt the darkness swirl around her, enclosing her in its bitter grasp. Normally she would not fear the night, indeed, back in her native land she spent many nights alone in the forest under the light of the moon and the stars. But here, who know what the darkness brought?
   She continued down the streets, avoiding the lonesome alley's and glancing helplessly at the signs hanging from buildings she past. Although she could speak the Common tongue, she knew little of how to read it. For all she knew she could have past twenty inns by now. Finally realizing the predicament she was in, she concluded she needed help. And preferably fast.
   Glancing around her she noticed a man talking to another man, both huddled in the corner of a building, whispering fiercely. Nahar gathered up her courage and started slowly, unsurely, walking towards them. One of the men, noticing her approach, swifty threw his head around and met his eyes with her. A cold stare, filled with years of anger and lost hope was what she received. A scowl barely visiable beneath his cloak told her that to take one more step closer would be foolish. Grabbing the hilt of her knife under her own cloak, she hurridly rushed away, taking care to be quick but not to run,  for running to her showed fear.
   Going a bit futher she saw a lone tree braving the grow in the chaotic civilization that was Adela. Finally, something she knew. A sigh of relief escaped her and echoed through the silence around her.  Her eyes brightened like that of a starving man who had just been offered food.  She ran up to it and threw herself down at the base, feeling the warmth and sercurity that its bark offered, then sat down. Then suddenly every scrape and bruise that had occured over the last four weeks came rushing back to her, and tears welled up in her eyes, than ran silently down her cheeks.
   How stupid was I to have left! she thought, What possessed me to leave the comfort and sercurity of home behind? Everything that I knew and loved? For what? To wander lost and hopeless around the forgien forests and this unwelcoming city? I should have listened to everybody! They had warned me that there was nothing but grief beyond the borders of our land. How right they were! Oh, I wish I was back home, safe under the watchful eye of the trees untainted by mortal wounds....
    Staring out again to the desolate streets, she brushed the tears away. No need to show weakness in such an unforgiving place. She huddled up, and clung to the desperate hope that perhaps someone would see her and feel pity, untill then, there was no rest.

(OOC: okay, I hope that was good enough! Hopefully there aren't any big mistakes. :P )

Anonymous

(ooc: okay.....I'll try.....[and there wern't any big mistakes that I can tell])

Mazer Rackham entered the village of Aelda, trying to keep his wings tucked behind him. A soldier of the castle, the people around him (well, for night time, that is) give him a little respect, if nothing else. Why am I here? thinks he. I could of been sleeping, or at least castle guard duty, but I had to pull the short straw. Tuh-riffic. Well...I heard of a strange man with a rune carved staff in the woods so..... As Mazer wander for a bit, not noticing where he is to well, he hears someone walking off into the city. He looks, and sees a cloaked form (Maybe Elven?) walking away from him. How did I not notice that person? They seem sad by the way they walk, better go see what the problem is Mazer thinks as he starts walking torward the person.

Anonymous

From her place under the tree, the echo of heavy footsteps come to Nahar's sensative ears. Peering out between the scare branches with her brilliant green eyes that seemed to contain every shade of green the grew in a forest she viewed a figure approach, apparently searching for something or someone. Her eyes widened in shock when she realized that this figure (it appeared to be a man) had two wings growing from his back. What kind of a creature was this? In what far off land did he come from? Her mother had told her of strange folk in these parts, but never such like this. She longed to go up to him and learn about him, but fear stopped her short. If he possessed wings, what other terrible and brilliant powers might he also have? Had she been not so weak from the exhaustion of her travels, she might of been so bold as to approach with the knowledge that her sword and knife hung by her side. The magic her kind held was useless in such cases, it was no battle magic. Only the chosen elders learned such things.
She continued to watch this man walk closer and closer. She knew he had not spotted her. She had a talent for blending into scenery. Well, at least the scenery she was used to. She did not know if she would fare so well with the building made of stone and lifeless wood. She continued to rap her mind for a suitable plot of action. Then suddenly, an idea struck her.
She silenetly cursed herself for her stupidity. How could she have forgotten such an ancient trick? Laying her hand gently on the trunk of the tree, and feeling its consent, she pulled a bit of power out from it. Suddenly her body surged with renewed force. Feeling her courage pick up, with her hand on her blade she emerage from the safe shadows of the tree, hood up and concealed for everything she was.
 "Greeting!" she called out to the winged man, trying to put confidence and strength into her voice. It wavered a bit but otherwise held up to the lie. "My name is Nahar, and I do not come from these parts. I was wondering if perhaps you could help me. You see, I can not read Common, so I have had trouble finding an inn to stay at for the night. Could you please point me in the direction to the nearest one?"
  She tightened the grip of her sword, and awaited the answer, be it good or bad.

Anonymous

Mazer stops at the voice coming from the trees. His right hand reflexivly changes to a dragon claw, but he changes it back when he sees the cloaked form come out of the near-by trees. He can tell from the voice that Nahar, as he? calls him?self, is Elven, but little else. "Sure I can, Nahar. But one request, I may have it. Reveal your face, I don't trust someone who hides it."

(ooc: I know it's female, but Mazer doesn't)

Anonymous

Nahar took a hesitant step back when she saw hand turn into a dragon claw. Almost pulling out her sword, she was stopped when he changed his hand back. She had half a mind to turn and run away, but then realised how foolish that would be. She had asked for his help, and he was going to give it. If she revealed her face. She new she had no choice but to. Puting behind all the mistrust she had for these people, she threw back her hood, revealing her face. Masses of wavy, dark chestnut brown hair that looked black in the dark tumbled down, to just below her chest. She had high cheekbones and a full mouth, with eyes that could not but tell of the uncertainty she felt.  She was counted as fair even among her own race.
She stood there a few seconds, not really knowing what to do next. Then after a moment of silence, she spoke up. "I have consented to your request. Now will you please point me in the right direction?" Realizing she had come off a little on the rude side, she gave a small smile at him to make up for it, telling him she had meant no offense.

Anonymous

Mazer is a little taken aback when the elf showed her face, not expecting a female under the cloak. He flares his wings a little, but she held up her end, so he had to hold up his end. "Fine," he said. "This way to a good tavern. I need a drink anyways." Mazer starts off, hoping the elf followed him.

Anonymous

((Mind if I jump in..? ^_^))

Christie opened the door and stepped out of one of the many shops that lined this street. Her hand clutched the handle of a bag, which seemed to be stuffed with purchased items from the store. Stepping into the sunlight, the girl paused to stretch.

She looked around fourteen years of age. Her hair was a dark sienna brown, and was tied up in a ponytail. In her hair, she had tied a red bandana, in place of a usual hairband. She blinked the sun out of her bright green eyes, which had a certain sparkle due to the light's reflection. One look at her would tell a passerby her favorite color - green. Her garb consisted mostly of the color green, with some added khaki or brown. It was really very suiting for her.

"Aaah.." She yawned, then took a peek inside her bag to re-check its contents. "Bread.. water.. matches.. more bread.. food.. good food.." she muttered to herself before nodding in satisfaction and closing the bag again. I never thought I would leave this place anytime soon.. she looked around the town. It had been two days since she had the.. what was it? A vision? A voice in her head? A feeling...? Now that she was mulling it over in her mind, it seemed rather silly. Part of her wondered if she was simply going insane. Her mother was dead. Long gone. But then again, it could be her spirit, couldn't it?

Suddenly, her head snapped up, and she blinked rapidly. She had been standing in the middle of the road, staring at the ground without realizing it. She shook her head, irritated at herself, and started on her way again, heading toward the edge of town. Her eyes glanced over the elf girl and the winged man without much thought, as she was still in her own world somewhat.

Anonymous

(OOC: I dont mind, just it is supposed to be in the middle of the night, so you might want to consider that next time you post :D)

Nahar glances over at the girl who had just stepped out of the building carrying a bag. She wondered what she could be up to, and longed to ask her about what life was like in this town. The moment Nahar had entered this place, she had been wondering how people could live in such small, crowed spaces. She glaced again at the girl, who seemed to be starring down at the street. Odd, she thought. But then again to me everything is odd here. Most likely shes just off in thought. she smiled in amusement as she remembered her mother's words from a long time ago: "Humens are not like us. Yes, they can think, and yes, they can ake action, but they cannot do both at the same time."
Taking away her eyes form the girl, who had seemed to finished thinking and started to take action, she turn to follow the winged man. He was already a bit up the street. She ran a couple step to catch up with him, her strides long and easy. Walking a bit behind him, she couldn't help but stare at his wings and admired them, wondering what it would be like to be able to take to the skies at any given moment, escaping the bonds that mother earth had set upon them. After a couple minutes, she couldn't contain her curiosity that had been building up inside her ever since she had laid eyes on this man. So taking a deep breath she broke the silence.
"Excuse me.... ummm... sir," she said, trying to find the right way to address him. "It occured to me that you had not given me a name. Could I ask of one now? Also, as I have mentioned, I am not from around here, and have never seen anything that even resembled the likes of you. Would it be to bold to ask of what kind of being you are?"
She spoke shyly, with a faint accent and the voice that sounded like the breeze between trees. Before today, the only others she had spoken with were own kind, and she wasn't quite sure how to talk to these people. Asking for help was one thing, but conversation was another. But she had came here to learn, and perhaps have a few adventures of her own, and how could she possibly manage that without talking to everybody that knew something she didn't? She would have to get over her fear of doing that sometime, so why not start now?

Anonymous

Mazer stops walking when he hears Nahar ask his name and race. Knew I forgot something....ah, never mind he thinks as he turns around to face her. In his strange, Boston-esque accent (no dropping letters), he replys, "Sorry about not telling you my name. I am Mazer Rackham, but call me Mazer. I am a Half-Dragon, being born of a Dragon father and human mother. Mom flipped when these grew, though," pointing to his wings on the last sentance. "I, to, am not really from around here. I...am a new soldier of the castle, though, so I'll help you as long as I don't go against Adela. Any other questions, or do you want to go to the tavern now?"

Anonymous

She satred at him in confusion and awe when he had said he was a half dragon. A million questions popped into ther mind, but one stuck out beyond the rest.
"Ummm, no offense ment Mazer, but how exactly does a dragon and a human work? Wouldn't that be... ahhh... difficult?" As soon as the words came out of her mouth, she realized exaclty what she had just asked. Her faced burned with embarrasment, and she qucikly turned her head and lowered her eyes to avoid his gaze.
Stupid! Stupid! she cursed at herself. He probably thinks you are the rudest, stupidest thing on earth! Quick! Apologize!
She turned back up at him, her face still beat red. "I'm sorry. That was a stupid question and way out of line. Will you please still take me to the inn and I promise to be quite." She flashed him a weak smile, then turned her head away again.

Anonymous

Mazer notices the confusion on her face after he says he's half-dragon, and takes her next question in stride. "Don't worry about it. I've heard Dragons can shapechange sometimes. Now, to the Tavern." Mazer walks off a bit, stops to think a little, then turns around and heads the other way. "Just remembered, it's this way." he comments as he walks pass Nahar.

Anonymous

She let out a quite sigh of relief when he didn't just turn and walk away, or start lecturing her on how you just dont ask some questions. She wondered then if these people were really so bad as her mother told her. She would have to think about that for awhile.
 She laughed when Mazer switched directions, something which she had not done since she left. "Shouldn't you know your own city?" she asked playfully, a huge grin displayed across her face. "How long have you been living here anyways? A week?"
She tucked her hair behind her ear, completely revealing her ears. Still laughing, she decided that this wasn't a bad place to be, for all its dark corners.

Anonymous

"I've only been in this world for a month, and been a solider of this town for two weeks!Calm down a little!" Mazer says, a little loudly, his wings flaring. He looks around a little, and notices one other person on the street, seemingly lost in thought. "Ah...whatever, I'm gettin' a drink now." Mazer mumbles, as he walks torwards the nearby bar.

Anonymous

"Calm down a little, I only meant it as a joke," said Nahar, still grinning madly. Then a sly smile took the place of her grin. "Although, it does explain alot."
She trotted up so she walked right beside him, a thought occuring over her face.
"When you said you have only been in this world for a month," she started slowly, "What do you mean? I've heard of people coming through from other parrells. Are you one of them? If so, what was your world called? What was it like? What kind of people lived there? Was it in any way like this world? Was it more modern that this one, or less civilized?"
Her mind raced with questions which flowed out of her mouth as quickly and easily as a rushing stream. Her eyes lit up in wonder at what other worlds could possibly hold, while she tried to keep her face calm. Glancing around the streets at the lonesome (or so it seemed to her) people, she couldn't help but wonder what their pasts held. How much knowledge that this place held, she could barely even imagine.

Anonymous

Mazer's wings flare greatly at Nahar's insistant questions, and he responds, "I'll answer them when I get to the Tavern, I promise!" With this, Mazer keeps going.

(I'm assuming your coming with me....is that okay?)

After a few minutes of walking (it wasn't far), Mazer gets to the Tavern. He dosen't catch the name, and doesn't care. He needs a drink, for he knows he'll be tellin' stories for a good chunk of the night. Once he enters, he flings three gold pieces at the barkeep, saying, "A pitcher of ale for me, and whatever she'll have, if you please." Mazer takes a seat at a seat at a near-by table, and says to Nahar, "I come from the world called Kolataric. Ask me a question, and I'll try to answer it to the best of my abllity."

Anonymous

"I'll have what he's having," she told the barkeep, not really knowing what a pitcher of ale was, but not caring. There must be something good to it if he was having it, so she decided to throw caution to the wind and try it for herself.
Sitting down across from Mazer, she opened her mouth to ask a question, then was fully taken by the scence inside this place. Never before had she entered somewhere like this before. Dim lights glowed on the walls of the bar, candles growing low in the later parts of the night. All around her was the slurred, barely understandable speech of drunken men. She knew they must be so from the stories told back home. She saw one man swaying in his seat, lifting a big metal cup to his lips, amber frothy liquid spilling over the sides an onto everything close by. She wondered if that was what she would be drinking, worry building up insiderher. The inn inself seemed kept up well, besides the carpet of dirt and grime on the floor marked with many footprints. But she supposed that was to be expected, for how could they keep the floors clean with so many people coming and going? She saw two men rolling dice at a table, placing gold piece upon gold piece at the table. They were surrounded by men laughing and encouring them to bet more. The occiasonal woman walked by, tight dressed with hair dun up and falling out at all sides.
She snapped back to reality when someoes loud shout rang across the room, and then realized Mazer was waiting for her to speak.
"Umm, ahhh, what were we talking about?" she stuttered, trying to regain her place. "Oh yes. Your homeworld. Kolataric. What was that like?" she asked. Then she looked around warily, then leaned forward across the table, then whispered quietly, as if she didn't want someone to overhear. "The stuff that these men are drinking. Is that ale? And if so will it turn me into the idiots that they have become?" She bit her lip nervously. She didn't know if she was ready for this experiance quiet yet, but she had already odered it, making him spend his money. To not drink it would surely be an insult.

Anonymous

"Probably. A pitcher's a lot, but I'm gonna be drinking a lot through the night. I think you might perfer something less....simple. And a lot less of it. But, whatever." Mazer says as Nahar sits down. "They could be drinking ale, or mead, or whiskey. But there drunkards who can't hold it, and so they tend to pass out. Anyways...You want to know about Kolataric? It's...." Just then the barmaid comes over with two pitchers of ale, one for each of them, and two mugs. Mazer takes them both, gives one to Nahar, and tips the barmaid with a sliver piece. "Just try one mug, for now." Mazer advises Nahar, pouring himself one mug from his. "Anyway. Kolatric is....more advanced then this place, for one thing. We've airships, guns, vichiles that can move faster then a team of horses! It's also very magical. Dragons and Giants fight covertly for territories, elves and dwarves work to create magical works of art, humans...well....do what they will. But....I don't know what's going on there. We had some sort of.....Kickback effect occur after Angels and Daemons tried to take over it. I know some legends, and some resent history. Any thing else?" Mazer says this with a hushed voice, seemingly as if he's trying to avoid telling anyone but Nahar about his home, sipping his ale as he tells the tale.

Anonymous

"Yes," she replied as soon as he was done talking. "What are airships? Are they flying ships? And what are guns?" She was quite confused by this, having never in her lifetime heard of anything that what he just said. "Also, some history and a tale might be nice as well." She smiled kindly up at him, encouraging him on.
Waiting for his reply, she poured herself a mug from the ale in the pitcher. She hesitantly raised it up to her lips, unsure what to expect. Carefully, slowly she took a sip.
She coughed and gagged on it, ale dribbling down her chin. She quickly wped it off, hoping that no one else except Mazer saw. It had been much stronger that she had expected, herself just being used to water and some fruit juices. But after she swallowed what had managed to stay in her mouth, she found it wasn't all that bad. Thinking she could grow to like it. She took another small sip, this time just coughing a bit as it went down. Then she took another, then another, the coughing and gaggin problem growing less and less. She setteled down comfortably in her seat, sipping on ale, awaiting his tales.

Anonymous

Mazer watches her take a sip of ale, then cough it back up. He bites his toughe trying not to laugh, but says nothing of it. "Tales you want? I have but one request. After I tell this tale, can you tell one?" Mazer asks.

Mazer doesn't wait for the reply, though, but just goes right into his tale. "Here's a legend of Kolataric for you. Before the world was created, it is said there were only stars. From these hevenly beings came the gods. Mother Luna. Father Helious. The Earth-Mother, and so forth. These gods create Kolataric after they created some other world, never caught the name of it. On this world they put everything good. Good food, good water, good grass, good skys, good whatever you can think of and more. They also put the races of the world. Dragons and Giants. Elves and Dwarves. Humans and Halflings. Only the humans didn't have a god to call there own, so they didn't start off with civilized. And in this world was 2 magics. Pure magics, the magics of fire, earth, water, wind, light, and shadow. And Dark magic, the magics of life and death. And these two magics warred with each other, so much so that the race already there coudn't stop them, so the gods created two more races. Werewolves and vampires. These races were to stop the warring magics, and they did just that. But soon after, humanit gained it's first civilazation. Okay, it was barbaric compared to Elves and Dwarves, and still is, but gained it they did. And with this came a new form of magic. Runic magic came into being with the coming of Human Civlization. This didn't bother the Dragons or Giants, seeing as they had more to worry about, but it pissed off the Elves and Dwarves so much that they both declared war on the Humans. Little is know about that, even in legend, but this much is known. The Humans lost, and yet won. They lost there mighty Runes, but won the respect of there enemies. All is lost past that. Till monderen day, of course, but I'll save that for later." Mazer relizses he's thirsty, so he glups down whats left in his mug, then refills it.

Anonymous

Nahar listened with interest at his tale, trying hard to absorb everything he said. She did not wish to forget it. Taking another sip of ale, she cleared her throat.
"That is a very good tale. But it did not answer my question of airships and guns." she said with a hint of a grin. "But I suppose you can answer that after my tale." She sat there for a moment trying to think of a tale to match his, then finally settling on one, she smiled.
"Here's one I think you will like. Back long ago when the elves of my kind had first opened their eyes and say the beauty of the world my gods knew there was a problem. For they had puth forth all their energy into making beings of light and peace without thinking about the fragile balance of the light and dark, good and evil of the earth. One cold not exsist without the other. So to try to fix their mistake they made the Dertyh, the shadow beings. They were made from the very essence of death itself. Darker than the depths of midnight, colder than the winter frost they were. They just seemed like darker patches in the night, having no distinct shape. And so with their creation, the elves that were made for peace learned war. And ever since the first moon rose from the horizon, we have done battle. When the full moon is about, our power is the greatest and we strike. When the sky is blank of a moon, their power is at their greatest, and in return they strike us. Even though my kindrind and I are immortal in the sense that old age of sickness will never take us, one day we will die at the hand of death. But hopefully not before we we conquer the darkness with light."