Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Would this work? Character questions.

Started by Anonymous, June 18, 2009, 08:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Hey, I'm extremely new to RP, and have been looking for a forum-based game to try out (I did try an lj-based one, but I had difficulty getting into it.) This one looks really good, and I'd like to get into it, but I wanted to run my thoughts by you veterans first to make sure it'd fit in okay. (I know the front page says "anything goes," but I'd rather play a character that didn't have to be shoehorned into things. So I thought I'd check.)

I did check out "The World" and the "Before you Play" sections, and was thinking I'd like to bring in a character from a race I created for my webcomic. It'd be an original character, not one of the comic characters, I'm not really interested in using RP to plug the comic, I just like their set-up. They're essentially elves with animal attributes (here for a visual example.) They tend to value hard work over anything else and would train their physical strength rather than rely on magic. There's two groups, those that have been taken as slaves and those that live free and look down on their counterparts for becoming slaves. There's a lot of other little nitpicky details that I'm sure you all aren't interested in...until there's actually a character anyway.

At any rate, I was looking at Adela, as that seems to suit the needs of a character like this, but I wasn't sure. S/he will be decidedly non-human, and I wasn't sure there was a precedent for things like that in this game (they're practically furries...). S/he would probably try to blend in, but there's only so much you can do. Would a character like this be able to fit in, provided I explained it fully, or should I go for a different type of character?

Thanks for the help! Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this. (I like parenthasis.)

Lion

I think these creatures would fit nicely into this world.  That's the nice thing about this place, when they say "anything goes", they mean it.  You're free to play any race you'd like (and it's even better if it's original, and from the looks of the them, these certainly are).

Just to help other players out, you can even submit it in the Races and Species section (here), to they can learn all about the race.

You don't even have to do that if you don't want you, you can just create the character.
Hope that helps!

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

It helps a great deal, thank you!

Especially the races and species section, so I wouldn't have to clutter up my character description with the details! Thanks so much!

Now, to work out the character!

Lion

You're welcome.  ^^ I'm glad I could help you out.  Looking at the picture you made reminded me of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind for some reason.  In that game there's a species of cat beings called khajiits, cute, furry, and can purr when you approach them.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

shinigamikitsune

Your characters look as though they'd be interesting to interact with my Tarrin race. Once you have your character submitted, and you're interested, just let me know. If you want to see an example of a Tarrin, just click on Tymah in my signature... or Cyma if you want to see a half breed.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lion"Looking at the picture you made reminded me of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind for some reason.  In that game there's a species of cat beings called khajiits, cute, furry, and can purr when you approach them.

You know, one of my readers said the exact same thing! It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I still have the comment somewhere. I haven't played the game, so I can't verify it myself, but now I've had two people make the comparison so it must be pretty accurate.  :D  

Quote from: "shinigamikitsune"Your characters look as though they'd be interesting to interact with my Tarrin race. Once you have your character submitted, and you're interested, just let me know. If you want to see an example of a Tarrin, just click on Tymah in my signature... or Cyma if you want to see a half breed.

Sure thing! I have him just about finished up, so I'll probably be posting it tomorrow. I'm kind of amused, though, I was looking at your post on the Tarrin earlier today to give myself an example for how to do the species write-up for the boetheri. So looking at you character now, I can put it all together!
Hm...I am intrigued now, too, and some ideas pop up, but let's wait until he's posted and see what you think.

shinigamikitsune

I look forward to seeing what ideas pop up. Currently, Cyma is in Ketra, and Tymah is in Arca

Anonymous

Just posted his info! Looks like he'd be more likely to run into Cyma at the moment, as Ketra's about where Reym is hanging out. Looking at the profile, that's probably for the best, as Cyma seems like someone he could get along with pretty well! What do you think?

shinigamikitsune

Cyma would probably be a good one to start with, before introducing Reym-ath to Tymah. The Surface World tends to bring out Tymah's more adorable side. He's still so naive to everything on the Surface, and he has yet to encounter a truly volitile person who might not like him right away.

Anonymous

Only thing you can't do here is make a magical Mordecai. We draw the line at magical Mordecai.

^_^ Your species has been accepted! Oh!! And welcome to SotE. *checks date* Yes, good, you're still new xD

8D welcome <3

Anonymous

Quote from: "shinigamikitsune"Cyma would probably be a good one to start with, before introducing Reym-ath to Tymah. The Surface World tends to bring out Tymah's more adorable side. He's still so naive to everything on the Surface, and he has yet to encounter a truly volitile person who might not like him right away.

Sounds good, that was kind of the vibe I was getting from the character to, and I thought that Reym's somewhat overbearing personality might not be so great. I replied to you in the plotting thread too. I'm very intested in running into Cyma, I think, as well as a couple of your other characters!

Draconian - Thanks! I look forward to playing here, seems like a great group! (It's rare to find fairly positive places on the 'net these days...and refreshing!)