Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Onward, Men! (open to all)

Started by Anonymous, July 10, 2009, 05:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Axel raised an eyebrow when the small bird-creature started getting defensive, but said nothing. He then smiled and chuckled a bit. "After creating the fireball,  you have to concentrate on the air surrounding it, and freeze the water in the air to form a type of icy caccoon around the fireball... The fire inside, if you just leave it like that, will continue to burn either until the ice melts completely, or," he then dropped the ball of ice, revealing that it was hallow inside after it had split open wioth a crack, and there were now two hallow halves of the what the fireball once was. "Until it extinguishes itself..."

Anonymous

"Oh, that's why it looked like too much water. It's hollow," said Isk. That made rather more sense. "Why the fire, though? Making the ice on its own must be simpler. Is it just to look impressive? Because it's good at that," he added, in case Axel had thought his opinion of the little trick's practicality had reflected his opinion of the actual spell. Showing off with magic was far from a new concept; spells could be art, not only tools.

Experimentally, he flashed another fire into existence, hovering in midair, but when he tried to bring the water in it just dampened the thing, making it flicker dimly and finally go out. Even so, that was more water-from-air than he'd ever called up before, so on the whole he looked more pleased with himself than otherwise.

Anonymous

Axel chuckled slightly. "I think you should probably work on that one before I try to teach you anymore..." He said, and shook his head a bit. Overall, he was a little impressed that the bird-creature had managed to do -that much.-

Anonymous

Isk nodded solemnly. "It will do little good at home," he said, "the air is as dry as the sand. But knowledge is knowledge."

Suspecting that forming ice around fire wasn't really the best first lesson, he picked up one of the rapidly-melting pieces of Axel's ice-shell and regarded it quizzically. Meltwater was all over its surface, a little drop threatening to drip off the bottom, and he didn't want it to melt.

The weredragon had said: Want, then have. So the droplet wouldn't fall. And it didn't, solidifying into part of the block of ice. Of course, now it was getting a bit too cold for his foot, so he laid it carefully in the grass, but it was clearly growing, the tiny crystals of new frost riming its edges.

In retrospect, he probably should have thought of calling frost himself, but then you often needed another perspective to show you what you'd overlooked. That was why there were Learners in the first place.

Anonymous

Axel had watched him do all this, then smiled, "You're getting there.... not too bad though." he said, clapping his hands together once. He then chuckled once more, He didn't have much else to say except the slightest of encouragements. He had been told that young children needed encouragement in order to learn, so, same basic principle.

Anonymous

Isk would have been rather miffed at being described as a child; eleven years old was fully adult as the rukh matured, and his odd interests had left him a bit sensitive to being condescended to. But his focus was fully on the chunk of ice, and now he released it from his mind's icy grip and formed an intense upward jet of wind instead, to flip the thing high into the air so that he could bat it into his mouth, and there speed its melting.

"I was thirsty," he explained, with a sharp-toothed grin.

Anonymous

Axel raised an eyebrow. "Ah, I see..." he said, then laughed a little. "So, how much did you want to learn today, anyway? I've still got the construction of my castle to direct, y'know, not that I wouldn't mind a break now and then." He shrugged, turning his head to make sure everyone was still working.

Anonymous

Isk fluffed his wings in a kind of shrug-like gesture. "If you've a task to complete, don't let me keep you. I should eat soon, at any rate; new magic is hungry work, I find." That was one of the good points about the Serha plains, at any rate. Finding a meal-sized creature would only be the work of a few moments even if his new friends weren't inclined to feed this stranger out of the sky for free.

Anonymous

"well, then, go find something to nourish yourself, we'll continue this another time, eh?" He asked, waiting for his answer before he would walk back to the construction area.The task at hand was a far more wearisome task than teaching magic, it would be wiserto deal with more difficult tasks first, the easier tasks would be tackled later.