Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Memories Mirror (open)

Started by Anonymous, August 07, 2009, 07:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Malious stood on one of the southern beaches nearest to La'marri  looking out over the water and taking a deep draw in from the ocean air.  The salt in the air teasing at his tongue, he sighed softly as he teased at the memories of a time long gone.   Thick arms crossing over his broad chest.   Scars stood out on his chest  nothing telling or marring but none the less he bore more than a few. He stood out there devoid of clothing aside from a pair of black leather breaches,  that ended at just above his ankles.   Even from a distance a person could tell,  that even though the man wasn't huge, he was something of an imposing sight.  

Malious stood at just at six foot,   and was well toned and muscled from his general routine of working in the nearby forest.  Doing what, no one really knew,   save himself.   His skin was olive toned from being in the sun so many hours in a day,  which around here with many of the humans was not all too off key.   His eyes were much the shade of the ocean with a delicate balance of a greenish blue.   Pitch black hair hung loose to the middle of his shoulders which even while whipped by the ocean breeze it looked right flying wild and free.

His facial features were fine and angular,  and a slight bit of stubble had collected around his chin.   A hand came up and stroked at his chin as he mentally took note of this and once more sighed.   As the sun began to stoop low to his west along the beach line his sight soon turned towards the general direction of it to get an idea of the time.   He dipped his head slightly once more as if in thought.

Anonymous

She had no clue where she was from.  Any memory she had before five years ago was shrouded in darkness deep within her mind, and she had no way at all of gaining access to it.  It was depressing when she thought about it, realizing that something horrible enough to erase her entire world had happened, so that's why she occupied most of her time with various other activities.  She kept herself busy, in hopes of never having to find out what had gone on.

But after so long, even her passion for dancing, music, and art could no longer quail the deep rooted desire she felt to discover her true self.  After nearly five years as a Serenian, the desire to recover her lost memories had finally proven to be too much for her.  Isis had become restless and skittish.  Most of her time had gone to gathering information from pubs and bazaars in regards to anything that might be connected to family she could have had.

But nothing had come up.  She had been left high and dry by many people who claimed they could help her, and all her resources in Serendipity had been exhausted.  Her only other option was to travel outside the country, putting herself in danger from the unknown.

Her travels have finally brought her to the land of La'marri.  It actually shocked her that she felt as at piece in the vast woods she walked through the majority of the time as she did dancing on the beaches of Cerenis.  For the first time since she had set out on her journey, Isis smiled.

Her long raven hair was tucked into the hood of the dark green cloak she wore over her shoulders.  To make traveling easier on herself, she now dressed in breeches that came very near to matching the dark bark of the trees that most often surrounded her, and a loose fitting white shirt, as well as black riding boots.  She carried next to nothing with her, save a small a dagger and a water skin.

Isis's cerulean eyes stared out at the world around her, finally landing on the ocean waters.  Her smiled widened even more, and she very nearly ran right down to the waters, yelling in delight, but before the sudden impulse carried her away, her eyes spotted the lone man standing near the ocean.

The raven haired woman slowed her pace, making enough noise to allow herself to be noticed.  She didn't want to startle him and have something start for no reason at all.  It wasn't in her to fight unnecessarily, and she would much rather avoid fighting all together if it was possible.

"Hello," she called out, her voice as clear as a bell," I hope you don't mind me sharing the ocean with you.  I miss the waters of my own home so much..."

Anonymous

Malious looked up at the newcomer not really startled  it was a beach after all.   He passed a glace over her a thin eyebrow coming up in a slight quirk as he studied her. His eyes went back to the water for a moment seemingly nonplussed about someone walking up on him.  To which he simply threw a hand up almost dismissively and turned walking west towards the sun along the beach.   "Have at it,   its not my beach."   His voice carried easily over the sound of the waves.   Behind it there was a sound of influence and power.   Nothing overbearing but one could mistake him as some kind of commander in the way he threw his voice.    

Malious walked along the waters edge,   stopping some 300 yards or so away.   He knelt near the water and held his hand out the churning sea foam rolling up and through his fingers.    He seemed transfixed by the behavior of the water.  One might think him rude,   or even outright asinine in how he blew this woman off.    He didn't know what she wanted but then didn't care to find out.  Not that he didn't have a slight interest in this person he hadn't seen before.   It was more this was a moment he wished to have to himself.   His gaze soon turned back up the to water off the coast watching the rise and fall of the waves. He took a small bit of sand in his hand and rolled it between his fingers.  

He looked to the east back towards the woman,   and his casted shadow along the sand.   Jaw clenched slightly he once more looked back to the sun.  He finally stood back up and turned and looked at the village of La'marri.   It had been years since he finally came to this place,   abandoning his old life,  trying to find solace.   Even so much his dreams were plagued with the memories.   He sighed slightly and looked back to the water.   Contemplating everything that has come to pass to this moment in time.

Anonymous

Isis stood there, her mouth slightly agap, as the man blew her off.  What had she done?  It wasn't exactly like it was her fault that she had wandered onto that particular part of the beach.  She hadn't meant to disturb him in the least, and would much rather have avoid it if that were possible.

But did he have to be so rude to her?

Her brow creased and her lips turned down in a frown as the flash of anger went through her.  There was no reason at all for him to have reacted in such a way to her.  She hadn't even had the chance to introduce herself.  At least then there might have been the excuse of bad blood between families or something of the sort!

The small, pale-skinned woman followed after the man, her steps determined and her face set in a way that more than showed her distaste for the situation.  It wasn't only her physical looks that teemed with irritation though.  It seemed that the very air around her shimmered with a sort of magic that itself began to manipulate what was around her.

The sand shifted in a manner that was not normal for a small woman stepping on it in boots.  It acted as if it were the waves of the ocean itself, rippling with each step she took.  The very air around her crackled softly.  Though there wasn't much a difference as to what was happening to the naked eye, those sensitive to energy would be able to tell.

She approached the man as he knelt by the ocean.

"See here!" she said," There was no reason for that at all!  I was simply trying to be friendly.  You didn't have to saunter off like that!  What is your reason for being so rude?"

Anonymous

Malious watched this woman out of the corner of his eye,   a slight interest coiling up in his mind.   Small things were being picked up as she came over to him in her huff.   the shifting of the sands for instance stuck out,   and the slight taste of atmosphere curling off of her form as energy cracked around her.  If he was bothered by this in the least bit he did not show it.    If anything he seemed to become even more apathetic to the situation at hand.  

He turned to her looking at her directly almost looking bored and completely disinterested. He turned away again but did not walk off.   But instead looked once more over the water and pointed.  "Do you think the predators out there care if their food makes a habit of showing off?"   The inflection in his voice was not at all threatening  nor was his comment intended to be as much.   It was more an observation with a follow up soon coming to be. His gaze turned back to her. "They do not,   they simply carry on and eat what they must to survive.  Constantly moving and shifting away in their vast home,   destroying what lie in their path and carrying on day by day."  

He knelt back down,  picking up a small clump of sand and rolling it once more between fingers.   "I will not apologize,   as there is nothing for me to apologize for,    you see,  I simply walked off.    I did not ask your name,  I did not ask your business,   yet you felt it necessary to come all this way to strike up a passing argument for what i can only assume passes as some awkward form of communication."  His emotions never really changed.   He didn't smile,  wasn't cocky,   and wasn't angry he just simply was.   "And yet I assume you will have some sort of retort."   He turned his gaze back up to her from his kneeling position as if awaiting her rebuttal.

Anonymous

The small, cerulean eyed woman didn't quite know what to say or do.  She had been caught completely off guard by his nonchalant way of speaking, the way that he didn't seem to put any real emotion behind what he said.  Most of the people she encountered would have at least reacted with a bit of force behind in their words, especially with the way she had been so indignant with her own reaction.  It simply didn't make sense to her at all.

Isis shook her head and stood a little straighter, trying to come up with some sort of response.  She couldn't allow herself to be thrown off by a man she didn't even know.

"We are not them," she replied, folding her arms across her chest and staring at him with narrowed eyes," and yet even they have some sort of communication between their own kind and the world that they live.  They do not simply swim off when another of their kind is around.  Either they have a positive reaction to them or a negative reaction, but at least it is some sort of reaction!"

She watched him as he knelt, sifting the sand through his fingers.  The way he showed now emotion mad her so mad!  Emotions were what separated them from most other creatures in the world.  Emotions were what fueled her own magic!  Passion fueled her dancing and caused relationships.  Emotions...

Taking a deep breath, she turned away from the man, looking at the path she had taken to reach him after he had walked off.  Her footsteps were clearly visible in the sand, as were the wave created by the energy that had flowed from her.  Even now she could feel the energy created by her annoyance flowing off of her like the waves of the ocean coming in and out.

"The creatures out there would have more of a personality than you seem to have," she hissed.

Anonymous

He turned and looked at her.  "I presume you would have me fawning at your feet?"  He knew he'd get a rise from her.  "Emotions are simply an extension of a persons misgivings.  They are often a weakness in people.  I don't allow myself to anger,  nor do i allow myself to become elated.  Not unless the situation demands it."  He shrugged slightly.  "You must think that the opinion of a person I don't know matters as well."  He turned his attention back to the churning waters.

"They are not so different aside from the looks....  The animals of the sea i mean. You would be wise to remember that.    They carry on day to day simply looking to extend their own existence to the next day.   They want not,  they have not,   yet they hunt for a meager meal and territory."  He took another small bit of sand and rolled it again through his fingers.   Taking in yet another deep breath. "Man is no different,  no matter the race, they simply hunt and vie for territory.   Mate and carry on to bring on their existence for yet another day."  

He looked at her.  "As for your display on the way over here....  I'm far from impressed."  He said this very matter of factly  as if there was no other answer to it.  He wasn't being dry and humorless,  it was simply a matter of him not knowing the woman.  He wasn't being guarded or subversive  or even being offensive in tones. just responding in kind,  in that neutral way he tended to use.

Anonymous

"I would never have someone so obviously cold as you drooling at my feet!" Isis growled, turning her back to him as she walked a few feet away.

There was no reason behind the way the man spoke or reacted, and it irritated her to no end!  It simply wasn't normal for someone to have no visual or audible emotion on their face or in their voice.  It wasn't human!  She was far more able to expect it out of an elf or even a gnome, but as far as she could see, the man that she was speaking to was human.

Isis turned back to the man, a frown upon her delicate face.

"I don't really care if you were impressed or not." she said, trying to reel in her emotions before they got the better of her and caused her to do something she would later regret," but assuming what you say about all of existence, that all we do is live, hunt, and procreate, is true, then what is it you live for?"

She walked up closer to him, closer than she had been before.

"Because to me, by my understanding of what you have said so far, it seems you are simply here.  You have no other reason than to exist"

Anonymous

Malious turned to her,  without flinching so much.  "I am here to commit to,  and carry out my mission in life.   That is simply enough.   I do not strive for riches, or greatness,   or power, or villany.  I take lives,  be they animal, or not.  I care not if they are good or evil i care not for past deeds. I care not for future accomplishments.  I am simply an instrument of the reaper."  

He said this in such a way as to convey absolute truth.   "I gather information,   I distribute goods and the information i come across as i come across it."   The look in his eyes was something almost surreal  there again was that lack of emotion.   Indeed he was an odd sort,   but his past exploits had made him so unflinching in the face of changing circumstance.  It was almost as if he really garnered no emotions what so ever,   as if something had forced him to lock everything away and simply carry on day to day.  Though the way he ended that last bit made it seem like he wanted to say more but would not allow himself to.

He didnt know this woman,   he would go about divulging everything about himself.  but now it was his turn.  "You by my guess would be some kind of fledgling mage.   Innate power or not you don't know how to harness it correctly.  If I am wrong then you are just extraordinarily cocky with your abilities and as so much  tend to show your strengths entirely too soon."   He looked at her carefully  watching her reaction and calculating in the back of his mind what they would mean.

Anonymous

She shivered, severely unnerved by the man before her.  The way he had no emotions and the way he spoke to her, she didn't even know if she wanted to be around him anymore.  She didn't know if she really wanted to find out what he was thinking.

Backing away a few steps, Isis looked at him with pity and fear clearly shining in her eyes.  She was afraid of him for the simple fact that she couldn't tell a thing about him through his emotionless facade.  She pitied him for the apparent lack of that emotion.  Whatever he did with his life, whatever had made him to be so reclusive, she felt sorry for him.

It was her opinion that emotions were essential to leading to truly full and healthy life.  Emotions were never meant to be kept within and not shown, and she had seen the result of what happened when a person did that for too long.  It was true, one could show too much emotion and gain the same result from holding emotions in for far too long, but there was till no reason at all to show none.  It was unhealthy.

But she wasn't about to let him get the better of her.  She wasn't going to allow him to put her down and kill what little good mood she had left after meeting him.

"I am not cocky, good sir," she said, trying to keep her voice level," and I'm an not a fledgling mage.  I have had these powers for as long as I can remember, and though I did have trouble harnessing them before, I am much more able to keep them in check now.  Even those who view themselves as the best of their fields slip up from time to time, as I am sure you have before.  I do not claim to be perfect.  In fact, I am far from it and that makes me the unique individual that I am."

She smiled at him.  Truly, Isis was trying to be as friendly as possible with him, but his lack of emotion irritated her.  She wanted to see some passion in him, some sort of anger.  Anything!  She just wanted to know that she was talking to someone real and not an emotionless shell.

Anonymous

To this comment on her "uniqueness" he actually did smirk,  albeit faintly, almost undetectable.   He stood up and walked to her stopping but a few feet away and off the the side of her.  "It is mans desire to be unique that makes us all the same."   He simply walked on by leaving that cryptic sort of message floating in the air.   He walked slow enough so that if she wanted to follow she was able to easily.  

He made his way along the beach line with the sun having set at his back bathing the world in the purple and deep blue hues of the encroaching night leaving just a little halo of orange at the receding sun on the horizon.   He walked to the northern side of the village of La'marri taking note of the few people still inhabiting the streets,  most having either gone into their homes or into the local bars.   Soon he found himself stopping in front of his meager home,   a place with a thatched roof and quaint look.   The outside of the home looked very orderly with very little out.   He soon walked into the door leaving it propped open,   even if she was sneaking along to follow him this would be sign enough that he knew the whole time.  

Inside he went to the small fire pit in the back of the home and stoked a fire dropping some of the wood he had brought in from the forest earlier that morning.   It burst into life with smoke rolling up the small mud brick chimney.  He turned from the and found one of the small black kettles he would use to make food.   He busied himself as he waited for the inevitable entrance of this woman.

Anonymous

Did she just see a twitch of his mouth or was she just imagining it?  At this point and time, Isis was more inclined to ere on the side of her imagination.  She so desired to see some sort of emotion displayed upon his rugged face that she was pretty sure her eyes were play tricks on her.  He hadn't shown any emotion at all while speaking with her.  Why would he do so now?

Wrapped up as she was in her own contemplation of the situation, she barely noticed the man begin to walk off.  The words he spoke to her rang in her ears however.  It was true that most people desired to be unique and that all were the same in that respect.  She would more than agree on that point.  But wasn't it better to be your own person rather than what others wanted you to be.

Isis shook her head, turning to watch the man walk away.  For a moment, she thought about going on her way, leaving him behind and forgetting all that had transpired between them, but she was interested in him, something that she wouldn't dare admit to him.  She wanted to find out more about him.

With making it much of a secret that she followed him, she caught up to him quickly.  She didn't say a word as they walked along and into the village proper, for she was taking in as much as she could.  She was still on her own personal journey.  This moment was simply a bit of a side trip.

As the man entered his home, Isis stood just outside, leaning against door frame.  She had to admit, the house was cute.  It seemed to be just enough for what he needed, much like her own home.  Her own home was a simple apartment in Serendipity's port town.  She much preferred to be outside.

"Listen," she said, her voice much more quiet and calm than it had previously been," I'm sorry for my earlier behavior.  You have your way of life, and I have mine.  I may not understand why you are the way you are, but that gives me no excuse to be the way that I have been.  If you don't mind, I would like to start over and introduce myself..."

Anonymous

Malious looked at her then returned to what he was doing, moving to a small wood box where he pulled out a small number of smoked fish.   he threw them onto the table which looked to be home made,  but never the less it was very pretty,  with intricate carvings in the wood.   and a very slight incline from the edges of the small table to the center as if to drain things from the grooves etched into the wood.    He then turned and picked up a small burlap sack pulling potatoes and peppers from within placing those on the table as well.

Malious went to where his bed was visible as the entire hut was only partitioned off in 2 rooms  his bed room and the cooking area.   He could be seen shuffling around,   he then turned back wand came to the table  with wicker tenders in one hand and a very very distinctive knife in the other hand.   He placed the knife on the table  then went to the fire pit and lit the small wicker tenders  taking them to corners of the room where he lit up till now unseen oil lamps.

The room lit up easily as the lamps grave a warm ambient glow throughout the small hut.   The knife was now very visible and it was in fact very distinctive.   With squared off barbs on the back of the three inch wide blade.  He pulled a chair out from under the table and sat the chairs looked to be homemade as well with furs tied down onto sturdy frames for the back and seats of them.  Malious pushed the chair opposite him out and nodded to it as if in offering her a seat.

He was then cutting the fish and pulling it off the bone filleting it with a very obviously razor sharp edge to the knife.   He worked efficiently  and very quickly even in such a mundane task one could tell he'd use a knife more than enough in his life.  Even in cutting up the fish movements of the fingers and wrists were weaving delicately almost like a distinctive dance.  Soon the fish were sliced and he was cutting up the vegetables there was water in the kettle he had set above the fire  which was now steaming and boiling as it sat waiting eagerly to take in the bits of food.

"Then introduce yourself,   don't expect me to stop you."  It was simple and to the point.   he gathered the food in his hands and carried it to the kettle  dropping it all in to let it boil together.  Malious then opened the little wood container up where he had gotten the fish and pulled out two clay pots.   Removing lids and  reaching in.  He had soon pulled out two hand fulls of what from her viewpoint and the lighting would have looked like grass of some kind.  He dropped this into the pot and replaced the clay pots to where they belonged,   then moved back to the seat he was at before sitting back down in it.

Anonymous

Isis took a deep breath, stepping into his home and looking about.  Her eyes scanned the small home with a bit of a smile on her face.  The furnishings were artfully carved and well put together.  Everything had its place, which was quite a difference from her own home.

Her own home was littered with costumes from her performances and instruments that were either in need of strings or cleaning.  Her bedroom was a little more organized than the rest of her home, but it was more organized chaos than anything else.  Costumes still decorated even that part of her apartment.

Sitting down in the chair he offered her, Isis watched him work with the food.  The way he worked with the fish and vegetables was more than she would ever do with her own food.  She didn't even really eat too much meat.  Fruit was what her diet usually consisted of, that and maybe some fresh eggs every once and a while.

"Yes, well," Isis said, giving him a small smile," My name is Isis Veil Illia.  I am a performer from Serendipity..."

She didn't know whether or not he would introduce himself in kind, but she didn't really expect him to.  At that moment, she was more nervous than anything else for the simple fact that he was so quiet.  Her anger was gone at last, replaced by the desire simply to get to know him.

Anonymous

Malious listened to her looking to the boiling kettle,   the smells soon permeated the little home as the food cooked, it mingled with the smells of the ocean made for a unique experience.   He leaned back looking as if he were distant.  "I am called Malious. I am retired as so few from my old work are able to do.   I have been to Serendipity a few times.   But only in passing,  never long enough to see much of the city.  What is it you perform?"   Again  there was the neutral tone,  its not that he wasn't interested,  it was simply he did not know the woman.  

Malious looked back to the table and his knife sitting there.   He reached out and picked it up  then stood up and walked back into his room shuffling around and coming back out with a dark green bottle, and two simple silver steins.   He then placed those on the table and wandered off to near the kettle  stirring it with a wooden spoon that hung nearby.   Shortly thereafter he was back to the table looking out the nearby door as the sea breeze started to pick up slightly in force.   There was a rain coming in off the coast that much he could pick up by the smells and the winds.   He just didn't know how long it would be before it made landfall.   He turned his attention back to her still neutral in most regards.

Anonymous

Isis's smile widened a bit at hearing his name.  To know his name was to have a bit of a connection, something more that they could go off on as they began to learn about each other.  Though he wasn't helping anything by being so vague about his former profession, she wasn't going to push him on the matter.  She would let him tell her in his own time.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Malious," Isis replied.

For a moment, she closed her eyes, taking in the scents and sounds of the house.  What she wouldn't give to have the cooking ability he seemed to have.  The smell of the fish cooking along with the vegetables and herbs made her mouth water.

"For the most part," she began, her eyes following him," I am a dancer, though I dance more for myself than the pleasure of others.  I am also a musician.  It doesn't give me much money, but I'm happy with it.  It helps me to focus and keep my magic under control you know?  My spare time is mostly spent perfecting my art.  If I am not practicing, I am studying new dances."

The smile on her face faded just a bit.  The journey she was on now was a rare exception to that.  Though she had yet to find anything out about the first fifteen years of her life, she was still hopeful that eventually something would come up.  She just hoped she would have the strength to go on if nothing came up for a while.

Anonymous

The change in her emotions was not lost on him.   He  reached out and pulled the cork from the bottle and proceeded to pour a bit of the dark brown liquid in it into both the steins.   Sliding one to her. he took his own in hand and took a quick drink of it,  letting the liquid roll down his throat with a dull burn as it made its way down and eventually rested warming him.

"I haven't much to my name but you are welcome to stay here while you look for whatever it is you look for."  he knew this would likely strike a nerve,   though she hadn't told him vocally she was in search of something her body language certainly did. "It is often best to let the past lie still,   often times we find things out about ourselves that we cannot handle."

He leaned back again stein in hand and sipped from it gingerly.  he occasionally looked to the kettle and watched to see if it was starting to boil over as the sound of the not so distant waves lapping on the shore and the wind in the trees mixed with the popping and crackling of the fire to make its own sort of symphony.  

"You may as well ask your questions,  i can tell you are burning to know what all you can about me."  He looked at her deadpanned as he said this.

Anonymous

Astonished was the only word that Isis could think of that would describe what she felt at the moment.  Though she knew she was more of an open book than the man next to her, she didn't think that her face was open enough to show what she was really thinking.  Then again, she did use her body to show the emotion behind the moves to the dances she preformed.  She supposed it shouldn't have surprised her so much that he was able to tell what was on her mind simply by looking at her.

But still, it was a bit unnerving to have herself read to clearly!  It was almost as if he were looking straight into her head, and she wasn't sure she liked it one bit.  It made feel vulnerable, and that wasn't a feeling that she often liked having.

Isis was simply glad that he opened up the chance for her to ask her own questions.

"T-thank you for your offer, Malious," she said, stuttering a bit in her unnerved state of being," That is kind of you, and I'm grateful for it."

For a moment, she was silent, thinking about how best to go on about their conversation.  He had guessed as to what she was really out and about for.  Was she willing to tell him he was right even if she had only just met him?

"That may be true," Isis replied, taking the stein and swirling the liquid within about as she stared into it," but what if you are missing nearly fifteen years of your life?  I am twenty years old and only remember back to five years ago..."

She didn't expect any sympathy, and she didn't really want it.  She was simply stating her situation.  If he was able to help, all for the better, and if he wasn't, then that was they end of that.  She would continue on, speak with him, and learn about him instead.

Anonymous

Malious sipped from his drink and looked distant again.  "I've had to watch body language quite alot....  To learn if certain people are not being totally honest with me.  Information is what kept me alive most of the time so ive had to tune myself to the body element."  He set the stein down  and his hands came up under his chin with the fingers interlocked.

"As for your past,  are you happy with who you are?  Often times the things we find change us in such a way that we are never the same again."  He left it at that and stood up moved to the kettle,  he found two small wood bowls and spooned out some of the stew,  he then took the bowls over to the table and placed one in front of her.  He went back near the kettle and pulled two loaves of artisans bread and came back handing one to her.  He sat down and looked at her.  

"You would do best to rest on this and then think of what leads you may have around here.  Youll find information comes easier with a clear mind."  He tore some of the bread off the loaf and dunked it into the stew.   "What do you wish to know of me?"  He popped the bread into his mouth and chewed on it waiting for her questions.

Anonymous

She sipped at the drink Malious had given her, mulling over his words.  Was she happy with her life?  If so, why had she really come out on this journey?

Shaking her head, she set the cup back down on the table and watched him serve the stew.  I smelled better than anything she had, had in a while, and she accepted the bowl with a sweet smile on her face.  It was often that she was around someone who could cook, and she knew she was going to thoroughly enjoy it.

"I am happy for the most part," she finally replied, deciding to let the stew cool a bit before partaking of it," but the thing that does make me unhappy is that I don't know how I ended up where I am now.  I know I wasn't always a citizen of Serendipity, and I want to where I originally come from, if I have family or if I am the last of my line."

She sighed, digging into the stew.  As she chewed, she though about the questions she wished to asked.  Since he had already offered the bit of information about being so adept at reading body language, Isis figured she would go off that.

"You are right," she finally said" I need to see what I already know and go at it with a clear head.  I won't get anywhere with my thoughts all muddled will I?  At any rate, you know an awful lot about gathering information don't you?  Techniques and such?  What sort job required you to have such skills?"