Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Little Birds

Started by Tally, April 22, 2005, 07:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

Mephista's first thought upon reaching the castle is, Where is everybody?

At any time of day, the courtyard of the castle is usually alive and buzzing with people—courtiers lounging by the fountains, petitioners awaiting their audience with the throne, sometimes even musicians playing lively music. The place is all but empty, now.

When Mephista travels anywhere—always dressed in the finest of clothes, of course—he's usually trailed by at least a half dozen people, most of them the secretaries and various adjuncts it takes to keep the gears of his merchant house well-oiled and functioning. Not today, though. This morning he received an official summons with the king's own seal on it, but signed with a name he doesn't recognize. He was a little irritated by it, actually. One thing that's kept him in business so long is his extensive information network. He's got little birds everywhere, little birds who sing beautiful songs to him so long as he give them what they want. But this summons he knew nothing about. He doesn't like being surprised.

From one of the sentries he learns of the audience the king is holding in the Great Hall, but that doesn't interest him. He prefers to keep his physical person separate from politics and allow his little birds to keep him informed of the political currents in the kingdoms. So while the court busies itself in the Great Hall, Mephista goes in search of something to pass the time until the king is ready to see him.

At first he simply wanders the halls, nodding and smiling at the people he knows as they pass for he frequents the castle often on business and many of the courtiers know him personally. His blood hasn't a drop of noblility in it, but he's got more money and more assets that half the court put together and that's enough earn him a place here. And it's not an infrequent occurrence for him to offer friendly loans to those of the nobility who fall on hard times and wish to maintain their standard of living—at a reasonable interest rate of course.

Eventually, he inquires from a page the location of Tarlaka's rooms and heads in that direction.  Captain Tarlaka, he reminds himself. She's probably in the Great Hall, but it couldn't hurt to stop by her rooms just to check. When he reaches the door, he knocks but doesn't bother to wait, instead opening the door and poking his head inside. "Helloooo? Tarlaka? You here, love?"

Anonymous

Well, the nap had made the stomach thing go away, but now she just wanted to sleep away the remainder of the day. But then that would be bad because it wasn’t a sick leave, it would have been a lazy-leave. Sitting up from her bed, clad only in the black under suit that usually had armour over it, she rubbed at her blue eyes and yawned. Taking naps was bad! Tarlaka gave her head a quick shake and racked a bare hand through her hair, wincing slightly when she yanked her head back. Standing up, her bare feet warm against the cold floor. Looking over towards her door, her armour was in a pile, Tarlaka rose an eyebrow towards her own disorganization, walking over to it she picked up her boots and gloves and put those on before giving a yawn and stretching her arms and her black feathered wings.

Looking down in disgust at the few feathers that fell out she sighed, then jumped slightly at the knock on her door... What the?

�Gyah!�

The sound left her lips and she stared at the guy for nearly a full minute before resting her hands on her hips and she glared momentarily before it was replaced with a slight grin. All she had on was the black body suit and some brown boots. Tarlaka’s metal armour was in a heap beside her and she looked towards Mephista and then rose an eyebrow. Then bent down and preceded to put her armour on, after getting on the shoulder plates she looked over her shoulder and gave a mock glare.

“What are you doing in my rooms?�

Really, she wanted to know. Though with his reputation, she was kind of worried about his reasons too.

Tally

"Your rooms?" Mephista gives a sly smirk as he enters and shuts the door behind him. "Don't you know I own everything here?" He laughs as he wanders over and drapes himself across her bed, stretching out on his stomach and resting his chin on his hands. His merchant house has enjoyed such success and has attained such wealth that it's become a jest in certain circles that he owns the whole of Adela. That's an exaggeration of course, though if he were being truthful he would have to admit that he does have more than a few politicians in his pocket at the moment.

He sighs, and turns it into a dreamy, lovelorn sound as he watches her don her armor. "Tarlaka dear, you wound me. Do I need a reason to pay a visit to the most beautiful woman in all of Adela? Truly, you get more lovely every time I see you. Being Captain must agree with you." He cants his head to one side. "But what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in the Great Hall? Apparently there's quite the event going on down there."

Anonymous

Tarlaka watched dumbfounded as Mephista walks into her room and shuts the door then flops himself onto her bed. What the? She shook rolling her eyes with a small smile on her face at the noise he made while she put on her armour and turned around when Tarlaka had all the armour but the metal leg things. Walking across her room towards Mephista she crossed her arms over her chest and rose a brow looking down towards him. His comments made her want to laugh aloud but she settled for a small smirk and resting her hands on her hips and bent down slightly, her head tilted to the side.  

“ha ha ha ha ha, I forgot how funny you were Mephista.�

The black wings were pulled open the ruffled back to being folded to her back and then leaning down to rest her arms on the bed and put her chin on her arms. Looking down for a moment before looking back towards the merchant she closed her eyes for a moment then looked back.

�I was sick earlier today and was excused… Why aren’t you down there if it’s so important?�

Running a hand though her mostly black hair she stood up and wandered off into the middle of the room, and looked over, then looked at him fully.

�What are you doing here anyway? Looking for a quick squeeze?�

Tarlaka smiled and winked then began to search for the metal leggings, her silver blue eyes searching around for them. They were probably under the bed. Joy.

Tally

Mephista yawns and rolls over onto his back, stretching then clasping his hands behind his head as he gazes up at the ceiling. He's feeling delightfully indolent today. Too bad he'll have to get down to business and meet with the king later. "Hmm, well the court is so dreadfully dull, you know. They're announcing a new flag for Adela or something." He gives a dismissive wave with one hand. "And anyway I don't understand all of those politics and such. I'm just a humble merchant, after all. I'd much rather tarry here with you, love."

With another sigh, he bounces up to sit crosslegged on her bed. "Actually, I got an official summons earlier today. Imagine my surprise when I saw the king's own seal on it!" In truth, his little birds had been doing their job very well, and he'd know of Akkiel's return weeks before the king actually arrived. What surprised him was the summons itself. It's nothing short of shocking that anyone in the court could so much as breathe his name without him getting word of it. He doesn't at all like the idea that someone has been making plans that concern him and that they've been doing it without his knowledge. "But alas, the king is occupied at the moment so I've some time to waste."

"You were sick just this morning then? Glad to see you recovered so quickly." He smiles and leaves it at that. "So! What are we looking for?" He follows her lead and his eyes dart here and there across the room, though he has no clue what it is he's supposed to be finding. "Where are you going after this? Aww, you're not going down the Great Hall are you?" he says in a rather whiny tone of voice. "You should stay here and play with me. There's nothing to do down there anyway. Or do you have to go on patrol?"

Anonymous

Tarlaka held back a snort of laughter at his words. ‘Humble’? Maybe if humble meant telling someone you owned their room and all of Adela. The elf bend down and put her hand to her knees and looked under the bed, there they were! But so far under the bed. Standing up, her gloved arms at her side and her wings slightly open to keep her balance she gave Mephista a look before looking towards her swords which were propped up on a chair.

“I was looking for my leg guard… things. But they’re under the bed and I don’t want to bend down and get them�

Giving a sigh Tarlaka walked back over to her bed and sat on the edge, giving the silver haired merchant a look when he gave his little whine. After threaded a hand through her dark hair she removed the large shoulder plates and put them on the ground before falling backwards onto the bed. One black wing covering the pillows and the other hanging off the end of the bed, her eyes were closed for a moment before looking at her roof.

� I should be out on Patrol since I didn’t complete my morning one, but I can take a night shift and stay here and ‘play’, and by play I mean talk.�

Talk, yeah, maybe she would let slip why she was sick in the morning. Now that would be a really bad idea, Tarlaka chewed on the inside of her cheek and turned her head to the side where her wing was hanging off the bed. Crap, there goes another feather… Stupid Stress was making her moult.

Tally

When Tarlaka gets down to peer beneath the bed, Mephista crawls to the edge and lays down on his stomach to hang his head over. His silver hair cascades down to trail the carpet. "Oh...yes, there they are. How did they get under there? What were you doing, kicking them around the room?" He giggles at the sudden mental image of Tarlaka kicking her greaves all over the room.

The blood is rushing to his head and making him dizzy, so he flings his head back up and blinks his blue eyes at Tarlaka. "Okay! What shall we talk about? Oh wait! Let me get your greaves for you first!"

Absolutely giddy to be of some help, he springs off the bed looks beneath the bed again. Hm, they're too far away for him to reach, so he flattens out on his tummy and squirms under the bed. "Light, but it's dusty under here," he says inching forward until he reaches the first greave and throws it behind him and out from under the bed. "You should have a dialogue with the servant who cleans your rooms. They'll shirk if you let them, you know. I'd certainly never allow dust to accumulate like this in any of my mansions." He wriggles toward the other greave. "What ailed you this morning? Nothing grave I hope."

Anonymous

While Mephista was under the bed getting her leg guards, Tarlaka closed her eyes and listened to him for a quarter of his servant talk. Giving a dry laugh Tarlaka sat up and rested her elbows on her knees, and placed her forehead on her palms. Still only half listening to him she smiled slightly when he threw one of the leg guards from under her bed, he was just as nice with them as she was. Not that it would matter much longer; she would probably lose her job anyway… Stupid whelp. When Mephista asked her what was ailing her that morning she wasn’t thinking right and spoke what was going through her mind.

�Some Bastard knocked me up.�

It took her a few milliseconds to realized what she said and slapped a hand over her mouth, though it felt like minutes before she actually cleared her head to think properly she it was only seconds before Tarlaka came up with a half-assed excuse.

�Uh.. I mean… It’s not my fault! … I just love… to bake! I mean… man I’m dumb�

Now, where the hell did that come from? Half-assed? That was the worst explanation for saying something really stupid â€"ever-.  Bake… bake?! Tarlaka thought flopping over onto her stomach and putting her hand over her head and pulling her wings up close to her body she groaned and mentally booted herself in the backside. Wonderful, of all the people to find out first beside herself it was Mephista.

“Aww.. maan�

Was mumbled into the sheets, Tarlakas fingers threaded through her hair and she closed her blue eyes. The day was only starting too! Crap.

Tally

What?!

In the process of reaching for the other greave, Mephista jerks his head up in surprise and hits his head on the box spring above him with a loud thump. He hisses through his teeth and cringes down, clutching his hands to his head. Ohh, that's going to leave a bump. He lays that way for a few moments and turns this new information over and over again in his sharp and perceptive mind.

Pregnant. Who might the father be?

And who else might know of this?

His blue eyes are narrowed in thought as he reaches for the final greave and squirms backwards out from under the bed. Whether or not this is information he can actually use to his advantage, it is information nonetheless and knowledge is the truest power. Offhand, he doubts that knowing of Tarlaka's...ah...delicate state could be of any use to him, but sometimes opportunity unveils itself in the strangest of places. For now he will wait and see.

When he finally pops his head back up, it's with a most mischievous grin. He kneels on the floor and crosses his arms on the bed, resting his chin on his arms. Oh yes, he will indeed have fun with this if Tarlaka's reaction is any indication. "I'm terribly sorry but I must have misheard you, darling. I could have sworn I heard you say you were with child." He giggles and pokes her foot, though he knows this next statement just may get him killed. "It's not the king's is it, love?"

Anonymous

Lifting herself up from her bed she flipped herself over and sat on the edge of the bed, her hands on her knees and her head down. Tarlaka took a deep breath and looked down at Mephista through the curtain of black and blue hair, her fists were over her knees and she bent her head took a deep breath. This was getting worse by the second, Tarlaka didn’t really appreciate the giggle and her head ducked a little lower and her black wings moved forward to attempt to cover her from his view. The Adelan knight moved a hand to her waist and ran a finger over the armor that protected her lower stomach, she didn’t want kids!

�You heard Correctly… And no, it’s not the kings… It’s… Another persons.�

Her voice was quiet and heavy and she ducked her head further down and closed her eyes, Tarlakas shoulders shook slightly and she moved her hands to her face and she began to just sob.  It was an odd thing for Tarlaka to cry, last time she cried was when she was twelve and that was nearly nine years ago. After a few moments of weeping she pressed at her red eyes and looked up to Mephista, Tarlaka didn’t cry pretty on any account, her eyes were red and where the tears had reached was red as if she raked her nails down her face.

�What am I going to do? No one knows about it but you…�

Tarlaka gave a groan and slid off her bed to pull her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms around her knees and burying her lower face in them, she looked like a child with her wings tucked around her and her ice blue eyes staring blankly ahead.

�I don’t want to be a mother.�

The knight mumbled into her arms, now looking up at the ‘humble’ merchant, as if he knew everything and could solve all her problems. Even though he probably couldn’t.

Anonymous

Aderon entered the room without knocking, thinking that no one was inside.  When he caught sight of Tarlaka and Mephista, he quickly lowered his gaze and bowed.  "Forgive me, my lady, my lord--I was not aware that you were yet at rest.  I thought you had already returned to the Great Hall.  I was sent to set the room in order--since the dismissal of the servant whose duty it last was, that task has fallen to my care."  He indicated the cleaning implements and cloth bag for dirty linens and other laundry items that he carried.

"I have also been instructed to attend you, if there is a need or an errand you require.  If you wish, I shall leave you for the time being and return when the room is empty."  He bowed again, awaiting a response, and added, "They said that you were ailing this morning, my lady.  I--I am aware of the nature of your malady, and if you so desire, I have some knowledge of medicine and herbs and could prepare something that would ease the nausea of your afflictions."  As he spoke, he kept his gaze respectfully directed toward the floor.