Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chicken Little (Talanator!)

Started by Anonymous, October 07, 2009, 02:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

This had been a bad idea. Ven frowned, pursing his lips over his fangs, careful to not cut his lip. He had no idea where he was. Or what direction he was supposed to be going. He had been thinking about visiting the desert, or at least checking out that area. But then everything had become all...flat. And very open.

Glancing up, Ven shivered a little, adjusting the dark, almost pitch black glasses he wore. They protected his eyes from the worst of the suns rays, though it was much easier at night. But the sky was doing that weird....changing thing again. Ven really couldn't get used to this. All the weather nonsense. How did people get used to this? It was always changing!

His frown deepened and he started looking around. He was pretty sure that the sky getting darker meant either it was night, which he didn't think it was time for that yet, or it was going to do that awful raining thing. It had rained a few times since Ven had come to the surface, but he still hated it. It wasn't normal! Water did not fall from the sky. It was a ground liquid! For in the ground!

The panic started to get a little worse as Ven was starting to realize there was no where to hide. Everything was flat and open. A primal, frightened noise left his throat, pale eyes going wide. Shit! Shitshitshit! He back peddled, clawed feet digging into the road, breath coming in short gasps as the panic took over. So absorbed in the attempt to get out of the rain, he didn't notice the presence behind him, smacking back hard enough into them to lose his balance and end up on his ass.

Tally

For some time now, Setsurri had been staring at the back of some...odd youth that walked ahead of him some distance up the road.  He thought the other odd because he had never seen his like before, though he knew that in this part of the world he was likely the oddity.  His pointed ears and copper-red skin may not have been enough to draw curious glances on their own, but the trio of coal black horns poking through his wild hair certainly earned stares. For all Setsurri knew, the thing walking before him was of a common race in this region.

Other travelers approached and passed, heading in the opposite direction, though most of Setsurri's interest remained captivated by the landscape.  This dreamlike, impossible landscape.  From La'maari, he had set out south, and found the long stretch of forested land through which he trekked to be familiar, not unlike the wooded darkness he had called home for most of his life.  South and east of La'maari the land gave to hills and the trees thinned.  There he had turned north before reaching Zantaric, for he had heard of grand kingdoms to the north, with whole cities encircled by stone walls higher than a human man was tall, cities that could hold a dozen or more La'maaris with mighty castles looming at their centers.  He could scarcely imagine a settlement of such size—how could so many live together and maintain harmony?—and he hungered to witness these marvels himself.

As he ventured further north, however, the land changed in a curious way.  The hills flattened and the trees grew smaller, sparser.  Then there were no trees, and Setsurri stared with wide eyes at something he had never see in his life—the horizon, unbroken from one edge of his vision to the other, one clear, steady line that made his breath catch every time he looked up at the vast miracle of blue sky and unending plain.

Soon, that blue sky disappeared behind a tower of thunderheads and this, too, sent a tremor of wonder through him.  Would the world ever cease to shock him?  Never had he been able to watch the gathering of a rainstorm without a tree canopy to block part of the sky from view.  But there it was in all its grandeur, reaching out from the horizon to blot out the sun and cloak the land in gloom.

When Setsurri could tear his eyes away from the scudding, rolling clouds, he saw that the traveler who had been walking in front of him all day was backing up, and noises coming out of him that betrayed distress, fear.  It raised the hair on the back of his neck and he glanced at the long grass around him with new suspicion.

He didn't even move when the stranger backed right into him, just kept his own feet and glared, wishing the youth would do something useful instead of cringing like a frightened pup.

"What is it?" he said at last, seeing no danger that he could recognize.  It must have been something he didn't know of, some insidious thing unique to this place.

Anonymous

Wide open spaces scared Ven. He had gotten used to them enough to not panic anymore, but it was an uneasy calm. And the weather was something he had never gotten used too. Always changing and that huge open sky. It was creepy. Things came down from it! Water wasn't meant to be in the sky! They could /drown!/

When his back hit Setsurri's legs, Ven gave a manly and powerful high pitched squeal of terror, jerking away from the other man. Turning, he found some surface dweller behind him. In his panic, Ven didn't really care that he didn't know how the man was. He had horns, like a normal person! That was good enough for him! Twisting around, Ven latched onto the other man, hugging his legs, his tail lashing behind him in terror.

A string of words in Ven's native language spilled out, rapid and frightened. A moment later, Ven realized he was using the wrong language and switched too common, "You have to help me! We are all going to die!" Glancing over his shoulder, his pale eyes glanced up at the sky again, seeing the dark clouds gathering together. He whimpered and clung tighter to the other man, threatening to knock him over.

The sky decided to take that moment to start raining. It was light for a moment, then it began to pick up. Ven screamed and scrambled along the ground, half crawling up Setsurri in his fear, not caring that he was quite a bit larger then the elf, "WATER! We are gonna die! It's coming down from the sky!" His head jerked left and right, straining to find a place that was protection from the horrifying sensation of the rain hitting him, "WHY IS IT FALLING!?"

Tally

"Ey!"  The tall man grabbing onto his legs knocked Setsurri clear off balance and he rocked forward only to catch himself with both hands on the gravel road.  He reared back up and tried to restrain himself, restrain his natural reflex to respond with violence to anything that attempted to attack him, to grab and hold him.  This man was no danger.  This man was simply mad.

"Let go of me," he said, but his words drowned in the man's frantic cries.  Finally, Set caught a language he could understand amidst all the gibberish.

"But why?! Why are we going to die? What is the danger?  Don't do that, get off me!"  The man was practically crawling up him.  Set could hardly defend them like this, but he didn't even see what the threat was.  The grasses waved in the wind, deserted no matter which way he looked.

Ah, but the man kept going on about the sky, the rain.  "Yes, there is water.  We have plenty of water."  Confusing gave way to an inkling of understanding.  "Wait, are you afraid of the rain?"

Anonymous

Full blown panic was setting in. Ven hadn't ever been away from shelter when there had been rain before. His heart was pounding in his throat. The land was flat and barren and there was no where to hide.

Still clinging to the shorter man, Ven was too wrapped up in his fear to notice that he was pissing the other man off. "What? Rah-ain?" The word was strange to Ven. He had read it before, but hadn't really ever under stood what it was, "What? Water! How are you not afraid! We are going to drown!"

It was like the world was the wrong way. And the sky could eat you up at any moment. His breaths were coming rapidly, hyperventilating in his panic, "We have to get away!"

Tally

Setsurri forced out a sigh to calm himself.  It was not right to blame an insane man for his insanity.

Though it surely was tempting.

"You need to let go of me now," he said.  He pushed against the other man and tried to wiggled out of his arms without using too much force.  Though smaller, he was fairly confident he could extricate himself if he truly wanted to, but he hesitated to resort to violence.

"We're not going to drown, but you need to let go of me!"

Anonymous

All the rain until now was experienced under protection. The water was actually hitting his skin and clothes and it was awful. Burying himself against the man as if he could someone use the elf to hide from the water.

"Please don't leave me!" Fear made his voice crack and he clung tighter to the other man, "Please!" He was starting to calm down a little, the rain hitting him and seeming to do no real damage, but the man's attempts to extract himself were making the panic flare up.

Tally

"D...does it look like I'm going anywhere?!"  He could scarcely move but to keep attempting to wiggle his way out of the death grip the man had on him, and his horns kept poking at the man despite Setsurri's best efforts to keep them from skewering him.  Enough of this already.  Setsurri twisted one arm free and pulled his glaive from the sling on his back.

"Just let go.  I'm not going anywhere."  He jabbed at the man's shoulder with the butt of the glaive.  If he had to, he'd beat him off with it.  "Now.  It's only rain.  It's not hurting you at all, is it?"

Setsurri craned his head back to look behind him, then looked passed the man down the road, but there was no one in either direction who could come and help him calm the lunatic.

Anonymous

Ven knew he was panicking over nothing. He had seen rain before, but this was the first time he had been out in it. And was finding it very hard to wrap him mind around it.

"Oooowww!" He finally let go when the butt of the spear jammed into his shoulder and he clutched at it, giving the other man a hurt look, forgetting about the rain for a moment, "That was uncalled for!"

Glancing around, Ven blinked, then flushed a dark red. He had been over reacting a little and once the panic had passed, it was rather clear. The water coming down was unnerving, but it seemed harmless and it wasn't pooling anywhere.

Coughing, he ducked his head, feeling rather stupid, "Uh...yes...um...I'm sorry about that. I've...er...never been in rain before and uh...yes. Sorry."

Tally

Setsurri fixed the stranger with a glare.  He couldn't believe this lunatic had the audacity to be indignant at him!  "I gave you plenty of warning to let go of me.  It couldn't possibly have hurt that much so don't carry on so."

The rain had soaked them both, and left Setsurri's shaggy red hair drooping into his face.  He flung the wet strands from his eyes and returned the spear to his back.  This man came from a desert maybe?  He heard tell that little rain fell in deserts, though he'd never seen one for himself.  It was the only explanation he could think of for someone who had never seen rain.  "Well as you can see, we are both fine.  Are you calm now?"

Anonymous

Ven gave a shiver as the rain soaked into his clothes. He felt like a drowned rat and it was highly uncomfortable. How did people deal with this nonsenses! There was hardly any warning, the sky seemed to change willy-nilly and then BAM! WATER! Because that wasn't incredibly weird!

Standing up, Ven tried adjusting his clothes, but the rain made that pointless. He then blinked down at the tiny elf, surprised at how much taller he was than him, "Uh...yes. I am. Again, sorry about that." Ven gave his best attempt at a winning smile, despite the red hair plastered to his face and held his hand out, "Now that I have climbed all over you, I should introduce myself. My name is Venyamin."

Tally

Set had to crane his neck back to look the fellow in the face.  He had to do that with a lot of people, but this man was especially tall, perhaps even a full foot taller than Set.  Usually his wild hair added a few inches onto his height, but at the moment it was plastered on is head by the rain.

He stared at the man's hand a moment before remembering he was supposed to shake it.  It was not a custom his people held with.  "Setsurri," he said, wary lest the man—Venyamin—take the opportunity to latch onto him again.

He seemed calm enough now, though.  Set stepped around him and started to edge away, down the road.  "If you're in no further difficulty..."

Anonymous

"Uh, well, um....you wouldn't....know how to get away from all this, would you?" Ven gestured to the rain that was still streaming down on them, "I haven't seen any shelter and uh....it's rather awful beyond words. How can you stand it all the time? All this changing!"

While he was keeping his distance for the most part, Ven was latching onto Set in another way. He hadn't seen anyone for awhile now and was pathetically lonely.

Tally

"I don't think it's going to stop any time soon."  The sky was unbroken grey cloud from horizon to horizon.  The rain was steady—the kind of rain that could continue all day.  It didn't especially bother Set.  He wasn't prone to chill and could travel like this in contentment.  But this fellow could barely stand it.  They hadn't even been out here that long!

"There is a settlement a ways up the road," he said.  Assuming the map in his head was correct.  He had stopped at a township early yesterday morning and asked to see a map of the surrounding land.

"It is..."  He sighed.  "It is on my way.  Come along."

He was going in that direction anyway.

Anonymous

"Up the road?" Ven wilted a little, staring up the road mournfully. That seemed to far away, to have to trudge through all this rain. His tail hung low, pressing against his legs, "I just don't know how you can take all this...this...dripping!"

It was like standing in some waterfall. All the time. Only slightly less wet than that. But only slightly.

The taller man brightened at Set's next comment, his tail perking up as well, "Really! You'll go with me? Lovely! I don't know about you, but I just hate walking alone! It just gets so boring!" Starting off down the road with Setsurri, Ven kept up a steady stream of chatter, "I'm still getting used to traveling. I've never been to the surface before. I mean, I read a lot about it, but books just aren't the same, you know?"

Tally

"Yes.  Up the road.  That is what I said."  And no amount of disappointment would change how far they had to walk.  Set resigned himself.  He walked with his head down to keep the water from his eyes.

It wasn't that he liked traveling in the rain either.  He probably would have stopped at the settlement anyway.  This was a bad place to be in a thunderstorm.  He hadn't seen or heard much lightening yet, but he wouldn't want to be stuck out on the plains with nowhere to go when the heavens started lighting up.

"Surface?"  Set looked up at at Ven through the curtain of rain.  "Where are you from?"

Anonymous

Water streamed off his head and body. It was as bad as jumping into a river. How did people stand this?! Ven looked up the road pitifully as he walked along with Setsurri. Nothing in sight yet. He was going to drown out here and the tiny man didn't seem to care.

"Oh, well, I am from the Below World!" Ven said this as if Setsurri would of course, know what that was. Because obviously, the entire world knew about it. "This is my first trip to the surface. Not many of my people come up, it's, well, it's just not natural up here. Things don't work right. But I'm very adventurous."

Tally

Venyamin looked absolutely miserable.  Set couldn't understand what was so horrid about the rain, but he picked up his pace anyway.  He didn't want to have to look at Ven's pitiful expression anymore.

He was interested in the place Ven came from, though.  This Below World.  He'd not heard of it before, but it sounded like some village or group that persisted underground.  It was intriguing.  He'd never visited such a place before, but he had heard of cities built into cliff faces and in chasms.  An underground settlement was not so inthinkable.

"I can understand that," he said, smiling as he looked on.  He could make out the lights of the little village now.  "That is why I am here as well."

Anonymous

Ven hurried to keep pace with Setsurri, awkwardly trying to use his arms to keep the rain off his head. His dark red hair was almost black now, plastered to his head.

"Really? You want to explore too? Where are you from then? Are you from a jungle? I've always wanted to see a jungle. I had never seen a tree until recently and jungles are supposed to have giant ones everywhere. Do you think they really do? The book I read said they can be so big and thick they will block out the sun."

Shaking his head, not liking how the water kept running down his face, Ven's babbling didn't slow much, "I think that would be nice. I don't like the sun. It can't seem to make up its mind about what it wants to do. It's moves. That just isn't natural!"

Anonymous

Set continued on in the rain, glad to be in a subject he knew about and could relate to. He'd been all over, including suth to the Kishahn Jungles, though he had only skirted the edge before circling north and heading up through the desert.

"I was born in a forest and lived most of my life there.  The trees are indeed enough to block out the sun there in the deep forest there are places that may never see sunlight and all manner of dark things from there.  It is beautiful, but I wanted to see more.  We should take you to the Kishahn Jungle sometime.  The plant life there would be even stranger to you I imagine."

"Jungle...that's like a forest, right?" Ven had never really seen either, so he didn't fully understand the difference between them. They were different, that much the books made clear, but he was iffy on what the criteria for them were.

"I think that would be exciting to see. And much more comfortable. I mean, who wants to be out under all this...sky. It's like it is going to swallow you up at any moment! There is nothing stopping you from falling into it. It's unnatural."

"No no they are nothing alike. Well they both have trees but they are very different. They have different animals and different climates and the spirits that preside over both are very different and that's probably the most important difference. They are spiritually different from each other and being right with the spirits of the one don't mean you will be right with the spirits of the other."

"It might make you more comfortable because you have the canopy over your head.  There will be forests in Adela, at least that is my understanding of it. If you are going that far."

"Spirits? Whaaaat? There are spirits in the land up here?" Ven knew that the earth was alive, a spirit, but that there were individual spirits up here was a new one to him, "You mean, besides the mother spirit? I've never heard of that!"

"Oh really? That's probably why you got caught out in the rain. You could have asked the spirits to hold the rain until you reached shelter if you knew how to commune to them. They are all different and all like different things but they all take tithes and offerings of blessings. You could have communed with the rain spirits of this place."

"No way! Teach me! I hate this rain!" Ven pulled a face, rain dripping off his hair and clothes still. It was disgusting, all this weather. He gave a small shudder, shaking his head to try and get the water off, though more soon quickly replaced it.