Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chicken Little (Talanator!)

Started by Anonymous, October 07, 2009, 02:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

"Preparing," he said.  He pulled out tiny vial of clear liquid.

"Step back."  He dd not take chances with the poison.  It was far too potent.  A residue of it on your finger, that finger touching your lips, your tongue, would kill you.  He'd never harmed anyone through carelessness and would not do so now.

He pulled the glaive over to wear he sat.  After upturning the vial he pulled the cork out, now with a slight sheen of the thin liquid coating it.  Holding the dry end, he coated the edge of the blade in poison—invisible, deadly.

"Don't touch this," he said.  He leaned it in a corner well out of the way.  In a few minutes, after it had dried thoroughly, he would secure the blade in its cover.

Anonymous

"What's that? What are you doing?" Ven still didn't have any idea of the danger they might be in. He took a seat, crossleg and watching Set with obvious interest.

Tally

"I poison my blade.  It makes fights trivial."  Just the way he liked them.

There was already a pallet set up for sleeping.  One of the women must bed down in here.  It was small, but they would both fit comfortably.  Set sat down upon it, though he would not be sleeping yet, not for some time.

Anonymous

"What? Why?" Ven's mouth dropped open, staring at the blade with undisguised horror at it, "That's dangerous and we're going to bed!"

Tally

"I'll sleep later maybe," he said.  "I don't trust these people."

If he didn't sleep, that would be fine.  He'd rather stay up and protect Ven—who seemed to need it—than rest and risk killing them both.

Anonymous

"Really? Well, I mean, they seem a little odd, but why would they attack us?" Ven wrinkled his nose, glancing at the door, "Should we take...shifts?"

Tally

"If you feel capable," he said.  He would prefer that.  It would mean he could get some sleep himself.

"They want your gems," he said.  "If you want to do this, you can't fall asleep while you're on watch."

Anonymous

"Why not just give them more gems? They aren't hard to get more of." Ven gave a small shrug, "And I can stay up. I'll take first watch, that's easier than second watch."

Tally

"You're welcome to give them all you like.  They're yours.  But they won't believe that's all you have.  And even if they search you, find them all, they'll put us both out into the rain once they have what they want—if they don't kill us for the sport of it."

He gave Ven an appraising look.  "You're sure you can stay up?"

Anonymous

"...Are all humans that rude?" Ven huffed, glaring at the door now, "We're paying for the room! And yes! Why wouldn't I be able too?"

Tally

"Rude?"  One brow rose.  He found Ven's disregard of murder disturbing.  "That is your word for what I described?"

Anonymous

"Well, I mean, stealing our things and kicking us out is rather rude wouldn't you say? What would you call it?"

Tally

"That I would call cowardly and greedy," he said.  Rude had been making them pay so much for this room in the first place.

"Wake me if you hear anything or if anyone approaches the door," he said.  He yawned a settled down on the pallet, and fell into silence.

Anonymous

"Oh. I'm sorry, Common isn't my native tongue. Now, sleep tight my new friend." Ven settled down, back to the wall. Things went fine the first few hours. It was a little boring, but he managed to keep awake, if not on high alert. He was starting to feel sleepy enough to wake Set when he froze, hearing sounds outside the door.

Reaching over, he shook the other man's shoulder, his voice low, "Set?"

Tally

Set came awake at the touch.  He sat up, pointed to a lantern nearby.  "Light that."  He made no effort to keep his voice low, nor did he attempt to quiet his footsteps upon the creaking boards as he strode to the glaive.  He wanted them to hear him.  Wanted to give them that chance to rethink what they were about to do.

Anonymous

"Oh, yes, okay!" Ven stopped whispering when Set didn't whisper. The adrenaline drove away any lingering sleepiness as he moved to the lantern. He had to dig through his bag for flint and steel, striking them together to create a spark enough to light the lantern.

"Um, it's all lit. Now what?"

Tally

Set whisked the cover from the glaive.  It produced that unmistakeable hiss of leather on steel, loud enough for the men outside to hear if they had any luck.  He set himself to the side of the door.

"Stand there, in the middle of the room."

Murmuring filtered through the closed door, but no other sound.  It was dark in the other room, no light shone through the crack beneath the door.  This was their chance to live, and Set hoped they took it.  He did not want to flee this settlement in the middle of the night for having killed one of their own.  He'd made no attempt to hide their wakefulness.  The men would have seen the light, heard them talking, heard their movements.  If they were wise, they would count it too risky and leave off.  He thought they might.  He thought he'd given them enough hard looks and glimpses of the glaive to convince them they would not live through this attempt.

He waited with even breath as the murmuring continued in the next room.

Anonymous

Ven scrambled over to the center of the room, "I have magic, if, uh that helps at all." He had never really used it offensively much, but he had the theory of it down at least. He made sure to speak loud enough for the men to hear, really hoping they would just go away.

There was some more muttering, then the sounds of people walking away. Ven gave Set a hopeful look, "Are they all gone then?"

Tally

Set stayed where he was, eyes on the door for some time.  He risked letting it out of his sight to nod at the pallet on the floor.

Ven could sleep now.  Set would watch the rest of the night.  "We'll keep the lantern on."

Still watching the door, he crossed to where his torn and threadbare breeches hung.  They were old things, and cut off at the knee.  The thin cloth hadn't taken long to dry.  The shadow of his legs crossed over the crack at the bottom of the door for anyone on the other side to see, and that was good.  He didn't quite believe they were all gone.

Anonymous

"Well, that was quite exciting. Gets the heart pounding, doesn't it? Not sure I can sleep just yet." Ven got up, pacing a little, all nervous energy. There was no way he was sleeping, all his exhaustion had vanished.

"Does this sort of thing happen a lot?"