Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Chance Discovery in the Desert (DragonSong)

Started by Kalak8538, October 26, 2015, 04:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalak8538

The Character :
http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=19738.msg264946#msg264946

It was late in the day. The temperature was falling as the sun slowly disappeared behind the desert's distant dunes. The young Zerdani poked his head out of his makeshift burrow to see a bright red and orange sky. He had been waiting for nightfall, for it was much easier to travel by night.

This particular Zerdani had left home only a few days ago. He had been moving east ever since he crossed the river, but as of yet, had found nothing but endless sand. This was a bit discouraging. "Is the whole world just barren desert? Are my kind really the only clever beings in this world? Is it too late to turn back? How much longer can I go on?" These questions had began to form in the back of the Zerdani's mind. He shrugged them off then, but the uncertainty still haunted his thoughts. It had only been a few days, so he decided to be optimistic. He checked his waterskin. There was only about a mouthful left in it. "I need to find an oasis or a river soon..." he thought to himself. Deciding not to drink from it, he re-tied it to his belt. It was time to move when the sun was nearly gone. The Zerdani grabbed his pack, exited the little hole in the sand, and started following his shadow. This was east.

The sun finally set, and everything went dark. This was no problem for the young Zerdani, however. His race has notoriously great night vision. He moved carefully and efficiently over and between the dunes, always being sure to keep an eye out and an ear perked for anything interesting, or dangerous. With all of his senses combined, surely it would be impossible for something to find him first. An hour of walking later, he stopped in his tracks. His highly sensitive nose picked up a strange scent. It was a scent that the Zerdani had never smelled before. Curiosity took over. He HAD to investigate. Slowly and carefully, he climbed the dune that stood between him and the scent's origin. Once he had made it to the top, he stayed low to avoid detection. Looking down, he spied the source of the odd smell. What he saw made his little eyes go wide. Surely, he had never seen anything like this...

DragonSong

Kiara shivered and hunkered down into the curve of Kit's body. The black dragon was reclining in a tight crescent, his back to the dune, surrounding both her and their small fire; he held one wing slightly away from his body to form a sort of tent over her. He made a clucking sound in the back of his throat and curved his head around to rest it in her lap- as much as he could anyway, his head was over half the size of her whole body.
"I'm alright," she assured him, smiling as she scratched at his brow ridge. Kit closed his eyes and crooned in contentment. "Gods it gets cold fast out here though, doesn't it?" The dragon made a rumbling sound of agreement. "So I guess we check 'desert' off our list of retirement homes," the girl went on, scooping a handful of untamed curls away from her face. "Well, as long as we can get room and board once we get to Essyrn, I guess I can't really compl-"
Suddenly, Kit's nostrils flared. He jerked his head away from her, snapping it up on his long, sinuous neck to peer over his shoulder into the darkness. Instantly Kiara was on alert. She drew her twin daggers from their sheaths and rose into a defensive crouch. "What is it?" she hissed. She could see almost nothing in this blackness, their flickering shadows thrown against the dune by the light of the fire distorting her vision further. She drew in a deep breath through her nose- a rather pointless gesture,but a habit picked up from Kit- and cocked her head to the side.
Listening. Waiting.

Kalak8538

The small Zerdani could not comprehend what he was seeing. The odd scent was that of a giant lizard!

Living in this desert as long as he had, lizards were not a rare sight at all, but... THIS one... was a very new thing. Back home, the largest lizard this Zerdani had ever seen was about as big as his whole foot. Now, his whole body was probably the size of ITS foot! Also, the color was odd. An all black lizard? He had no idea they came in that color. They usually had the color of the desert's sand. It seemed to be asleep, as lizards tend to do at night. Every fiber of his little being told him to flee, lest it wake up and hunt him. However, his curious nature was getting the best of him. The Zerdani was not satisfied just seeing it from the back.

"If I am quiet, I can get around it without waking it up" he thought to himself.

The Zerdani passed over the peak of the dune, and  started down it. "So far, so good" he said in his quietest voice. The more he continued down, the stranger things became. Now, he could see that there was some sort of glow coming from behind it, almost like a dim fire. His ears picked up strange sounds, almost like speech, but not like any he had ever heard.  This just made the Zerdani more curious about it. Things were going well, until the "lizard" caught HIS scent. It turns out it was not actually asleep, as its head rose from the sand.

The little Zerdani panicked. He scrambled as fast as he could back up the dune. Once over, he took cover behind the peak. His tiny heart raced in his chest. He listened for the lizard, ready to bolt and hide if necessary. But it wasn't... A few moments passed, and he heard nothing. Did it not see him? Maybe it was asleep, and now it went back to its slumber. A few more seconds, and he peeped his head over the top of the dune again. The lizard was awake and staring right at him with its big, golden eyes. Why did it not attack? That's when he noticed some other things. The glow had come from a small fire. What had probably made it was more interesting. There was another giant. It was smaller than the lizard, but still around twice the Zerdani's hight.

He wondered why the lizard had not attacked it either. Was it a plant-eating lizard? Cactus flowers would not be enough to keep this thing fed, so was there food somewhere else. Also, the second... thing... was not also a lizard. In fact, It looked more like a Zerdani than it did a lizard. He racked his little brain trying to think up a solution for this confusing sight, all the while keeping a watch on the lizard, in case it moved towards him. In his panic and pondering, he had completely forgot an important fact about his own kind that could lead to his detection: In the dark, any light makes a Zerdani's eyes glow green.

DragonSong

There! A glint in the darkness, a sort of green glow just above the peak of the dune that flickered into being in the firelight. Some sort of desert dwelling animal?

No, that couldn't be it. Kit wouldn't have made such a fuss if it was. But the dragon wasn't attacking either- he wasn't sure if this strange new guest was friend or foe. Cautiously Kiara crept forward, laying her palm flat against Kit's flank, a signal to stand down, but be ready.

Did the creature know it had been spotted? It didn't move, so she assumed not. Good, that gave her the advantage. Sheathing one of her daggers, she grabbed ahold of one of the spines that ran along Kit's back and swung herself gracefully up onto the dip where his neck met his shoulders. Taking the cue with an ease born of a lifetime spent together, the dragon arched his neck as she ran along it, then launched herself through the air, using the top of his skull to kick off.

She sailed gracefully over the dune and landed behind the little intruder, feet slipping slightly on the sand. Dagger at the ready she drew herself up, prepared to launch into a mocking tirade about how spying on people wasn't nice- but the words died in her throat.

Kiara had seen a lot in her nineteen years. She'd never pretend to be a scholar, but she'd wager she was a bit more worldly than most. And never had she seen anything like this.

At first glance, the creature seemed to be a combination of a human child and some sort of fox-like creature. It even had a bushy little tail! It's eyes were what had given off that glow; the flaming brand Kit had grabbed in his mouth to illuminate the back of the dune made them glint up at her. She squinted, confused, and slowly started to lower her blade.

"Who...what are you?"

Kalak8538

The smaller giant saw him now. Of that, he was certain. Her gaze locked with his. What would happen now?

It moved now, but not towards the Zerdani. It moved to the giant lizard. This only confused him more. "What is it doing...?" he thought to himself. He dare not speak while the two giants were looking his way. He did not know how good their heading was. What happened next was much too quick for the Zerdani to react to.

Before he knew it, the lizard threw the giant his way. He wanted to run, but he was paralyzed by the sight of it flying through the air over him. As it landed behind him, the Zerdani pinned himself flat on his back against the sandy dune. It turned around, and he could see it was, in fact, a she. She wielded a knife similar to the one he wore on his back, only it was a lot longer, and made of a different, more smooth, and shinier stone. She held it like SHE was the one in danger here.

The Zerdani's eyes went wide with fear. His ears went flat against his head. His heart beat like a snare drum in his chest. He was paralyzed in place, unable to run away. "I am going to die here" kept running through his mind. The giant wore a confused expression, and spoke to him. He recognized her voice from when he was heading down the dune. Although he did not understand a single word of her language, he could tell from her tone that she was asking a question.

Opening his mouth, the Zerdani was finally able to speak: "I do not want to die! Do not kill me! I was exploring! I was not going to hunt your lizard! Do not kill me!" The words came out very quickly in his panic. The Zerdani wanted to close his eyes and wait for his imminent death, but in reality, he could not take his eyes off of the giant.

DragonSong

The little fox-creature was obviously terrified, babbling in a language she didn't recognize. Well, at least that told her it was intelligent. Fat lot of good that would do if she couldn't get anything sensible out of it-

No, him; the little being was a him, she could tell upon closer inspection. And he looked as though he thought she was going to eat him or something (well, that might have something to do with the dragon, in his defense). She began to feel like a bit of a bully- but she had to be cautious, it was a basic rule of survival! Still... Those big gleaming eyes looked up at her and she sighed, sheathing her dagger, then held up her hands to show she was unarmed.

"Look, I'm sorry I scared you," she said. She knew he probably couldn't understand her anymore than she could him, but a soothing tone never hurt in a situation like this. She kept her voice low and calm, as though she was talking to a spooked horse, or trying to lull a guard dog. "I'm not gonna hurt you, we just didn't know what you were doing here." She bit her lip. Poor little thing. She may have just about given him a heart attack.

But she still didn't know anything about him- and wasn't likely to, if she couldn't speak with him- and not knowing things made her twitchy. She sighed and ran her hands through her hair, looking up at her dragon. "Kit, think you could...?"

The great creature snorted, shuffling his wings in his version of a shrug. Like most fully sentient dragons, he had the gift of tongues; but even that power had its limits. If it was a language he'd never even heard before, there was no telling if he'd be able to pick it up quickly enough to translate.

Slowly, so as not to startle the fox-boy, young woman and dragon moved as one. She reached up to take the burning branch from him as he dipped his head closer to their little guest and narrowed his eyes, concentrating. Then he spoke. The sounds were still foreign to Kiara, but because it was Kit speaking she began to glean their meaning:

"No...harm?"

Kalak8538

This was the end. He was sure of it. Or... So he thought?

The giant surprised him again by sheathing her strange knife, and raising her now open hands. She was not going to hurt him after all? Once again, the giant began speaking in her strange language, her words sounding calm and comforting. The Zerdani began to relax, for it seemed any danger had passed, although he was still cautious of them both.

His gaze turned now to the lizard, who had come up the dune after her. It must have been her pet. Some of his kind kept lizards for pets back home, but those were tiny. This lizard was much bigger than her! Observing it again, he saw it had... wings? Like a bird? No, they were different. It was more like bat wings. What WAS this thing?! The giant continued on in her own tongue, and he shifted attention back to her. He couldn't understand a single word she said, but from her tone, he could tell she was trying to explain something, or, apologize?

She looked now to her lizard/bat thing and said something. They both began to move around slowly, making the Zerdani more cautious. The ginormous bat lizard brought its head close to him, which intimidated him. Being this close, the little Zerdani realized that the creature could probably swallow him whole if it wanted to, and this made him nervous, and ready to dodge out of the way if needed. This was not the case. It began to speak as well. Its "words" were guttural and less intelligible than the other giant's were. However, something strange was happening.

The Zerdani could not explain it this sensation, but he could nearly find sense in the seemingly random sounds the creature made. He was able to somewhat discern what it was trying to tell him. It was almost like the bat lizard was trying to talk directly to his mind, instead of his ears. Suddenly, any sense of danger or uncertainty dissipated. It was replaced by the feeling that these two could be trusted, that they meant him no harm. Raising his ears, the Zerdani stood up, and offered the two giants a soft smile. His eyes reflected trust.

Now speaking slowly and more calm, "I apologize if I have scared you. I mean no harm, honest. I was only curious." His words would have sounded similar to that of canid yapping and barking to a common-speaking being. Knowing perfectly well that the two would not understand him, the little Zerdani spoke in a manner similar to the one giant, mimicking her calm, gentle tone. He wanted to show that he could be trusted as well.

DragonSong

The fox-boy stood, ears raising from their flattened position to one that Kiara would have interpreted to mean attention or interest in another canine creature. He spoke again in his strange language, again reminding her of a dog's method of communication, albeit with a tranquility to it she'd never heard from a true canid, and seemed to be smiling. Kit must have gotten through to him after all.

"What's he saying?" Kiara asked the dragon, though she kept eye contact with the stranger and offered a smile of her own (closed-lipped, she wasn't sure if he would take teeth as a sign of aggression).

Kit swung his head close to her and answered, "He seems to be apologizing for startling us, and telling us that he means no harm. I believe he was simply...curious." Because of the bond they shared and Kit's familiarity with the common tongue, his words were clear and distinct in her mind, though the sounds that came out of his mouth were a jumble of foreign dragon words (he'd tried to teach her his own language once, but her human mouth and vocal chords just couldn't form the words correctly).

"Oh." Kiara raised a hand to her mouth to cover her chuckle. "Polite little thing, isn't he? Could you return the favor, tell him we're sorry for scaring him, we were just being cautious? Maybe ask his name while you're at it." Kit nodded and tilted his head to face the stranger again, opening his mouth to rumble out her message as distinctly as he could.

As he did, the young woman kept her gaze locked with the little creature. Still smiling to show good faith, she pressed a hand to her chest and said slowly, "Kiara."

Kalak8538

Everything was fine now.

Any tension that there had been was now completely gone. This was it, the Zerdani had discovered two new creatures unknown to his kind, and survived an unplanned encounter with them! Such giant and threatening creatures turned out to be more intelligent, and much kinder, than was originally anticipated. What an amazing discovery to be made in only a few days! Who knew what else this world held? This gave the little Zerdani newfound determination as these thoughts bounced around in the back of his mind.

He watched as the bat-lizard speak its guttural sounds to the other giant, who offered a giggle in return. It was clear that she understood its strange sounds, for she responded in her own language. The creature seemed to understand her just as well as she did it. It turned its attention to the Zerdani now, and began again. As before, he did not understand ANY sound that came out of its colossal mouth, but could somehow discern that it returned his thanks. There was a question at the end, something about... giving something. The little Zerdani did not have much with him, or really, anything that would be substantial to the both of them.

This thought began distracting the simple-minded creature. His attention snapped back  to her when he saw the arm move. She put her paw on her chest, and said one word: "Kiara". This must have been her way of apologizing. Although he had already apologized, the Zerdani knew that she did not understand him, just as he did not understand her. He decided it would be best to apologize like she had, so as to be completely understood. Mimicking what the giant had done, he put a paw on his chest and repeated: "Kay... Arr... Ah..."

DragonSong

Kiara tilted her head to the side and furrowed her brow in confusion as the smaller creature repeated her gesture, saying carefully, "Kay...Arr...Ah."

"I don't think he quite understands," Kit muttered, tilting his head to mirror her. Then he snorted and shook his head. "His language is too foreign to me, I can only get simple concepts across."

"Right. Okay then." Kiara worried her lip. That had probably been too much information to convey all at once. What to do, what to do... In a  sudden burst of movement she strode forward until she was only an arm's length from the fox-boy and plopped down onto the sand. "Try asking his name again," she told Kit, smiling at the third party.

The dragon snorted and shuffled his wings, grumbling something about her stubbornness and damned curiosity, but he did as she asked. "What...are...you...called?"

This time Kiara waited until the question had been asked, not wanting to overload their surprise guest, before placing her hand on her chest and again saying, "Kiara." Then she reached out to pat Kit's flank and said clearly, "Kit." She repeated the gesture several times: "Kiara, Kit. Kiara, Kit." Then she reached out, extending her hand toward the fox-boy, and tilted her head, hoping to show confusion.

Once more, a hand to her chest. "Kiara." Her palm to the dragon's scales. "Kit." Reaching out. "...?"

Kalak8538

Unfortunately, his effort to imitate the giant's foreign custom only drew confused glances from her and her pet. Obviously, he made some error in interpreting her actions.

She moved in close now, the sudden burst of movement somewhat startling the still-cautious Zerdani. He was not afraid though, just uncertain of her intentions. She spoke to her pet once again. The creature seemed annoyed with what she had said. It looked to him, and once again, tried to communicate. Its "words" were slow and spaced apart. It must have been doing this to help get its message across, but ironically, it only made the creature harder to understand.

It finished its drawn out sentence, and the second giant began again. Repeating her earlier gesture, she put her paw on her chest, and once again said that one word: Kiara. The little Zerdani did not understand, but had no time to wonder before her next action. She made a similar gesture towards the bat lizard, saying a new word as she did so: Kit. She went back and forth between the two a few times before doing the same to him. She was silent then. Once more she repeated. "Kiara", "Kit", then back to him. It took a moment, but the realization finally popped into his head. It was shown clearly on his face when he understood.

Those are their NAMES!

When she pointed to him, he knew that that she had been asking his name. "Ee-Moh-Tay". The Zerdani said this as clearly as he could, careful to space out the syllables so as to not cause confusion. "Kii'Arah ("Kiara" with his native accent), my name is Eihmo'tei." 

DragonSong

"Ee-Moh-Tay."

Kiara beamed. It seemed they'd gotten the question across, somehow or another. This was confirmed when Kit huffed a puff of smoke out of his nostrils in satisfaction. Eihmo'tei said something else in his language, starting with her name and ending with his, that she assumed was a longer introduction.

"Eihmo'tei," she repeated slowly, trying to mimic the nuances of his accent (and failing, she was pretty sure. This was going to take some practice). "It's nice to meet you," she told him while Kit attempted to relay the sentiment. She considered putting her hand out to shake, then thought better of it; who knew what the friendly gesture meant in his culture?

Instead, she gave Eihmo'tei another once over, this time close and careful. He really was a wiry little thing. That may have just been his build, but it also may have been undernourishment. He did have some sort of travel pack- he could have been wandering around the desert for days for all she knew. She drew her bottom lip between her teeth and worried at it, thinking. All they really had was travel rations, but it was better than nothing...

"Are you hungry?" she asked, patting her stomach and then miming bringing a spoon to her mouth repetitively. Once again Kit tried to relay the question, this time using only the words "Want" and "Food". She had to stifle a chuckle; the dragon usually didn't like talking to anyone but her, and she had to admit that watching him squirm under his new duty of interpreter was quite entertaining.

Kalak8538

There! Eihmo'tei could see by the expression in Kiara's face that he had guessed correctly. Now that they were beginning to understand each other, and names had been exchanged, he felt there was some connection beginning to form.

She tried pronouncing his name, but seemed to have a little trouble. The Zerdani gave a soft smile at this. She had not done so badly for a being that knows nothing about his accent and language. "I will teach her how to do it better sometime" he thought silently. In fact, at that moment, Eihmo'tei thought up an idea. He would try picking up her language as she spoke. In the future, there would most likely be more of these giants, and the Zerdani would want to understand them when the time came.

Eihmo'tei noticed Kiara observing him more closely now. This made him look to himself briefly, wondering what she was thinking. He saw her eyes shift from to his pack, which made him more curious. She began speaking again, and the Zerdani saw his opportunity to learn new words. He was in luck, for it seemed she was now acting out what she was saying for his benefit. The bat lizard Kit also spoke, but his attention was more on Kiara and her movements.

She spoke only a short sentence, but one word stood out: Un... Gii...

From what he could tell from her acting, this had something to do with food. That must have been why she was looking at his pack. In Zerdani culture, it was customary to honor a new friendship by giving offerings of food. The tribes often did this to show good will. Eihmo'tei just did not imagine such a custom would be shared by these mysterious beings. Again, there was nothing in his pack that would have been substantial to beings as large as they were, but hopefully that would not matter, so long as there was good intent in the gift.

He removed the pack from his back by lifting the strap over his head and dropping it down on the sand behind him. He turned around to undo the knot that sealed the pack closed, consciously keeping his tail lower to the ground. In doing so, the Zerdani turned his back to Kiara and Kit, thus revealing the stone dagger in its leather sheath. The sack was opened, and he looked through it. Inside, there were the dead creatures he had hunted and saved for eating later. Mostly, there were lizards, but he decided it was not a good idea to present one. It might have offended her, or more importantly, her pet. Then he found something acceptable: a nicely-sized scorpion. Taking it from the pack, Eihmo'tei turned around and held up the limp scorpion by the tail. "Ungii?" he said enthusiastically, trying to copy the word from before. He offered a toothy grin to show good faith. 

DragonSong

"Oh." Kiara blinked, exerting a great effort of will to keep from recoiling at the sight of the large insect dangling from Eihmo'tei's hand...paw...thing. His wide grin suggested the scorpion was some sort of offering of good will, and she didn't want to offend him.

But still...yech!

"I believe he wants you to eat that," Kit noted; now it was his turn to be amused by her discomfort. It was hard for a dragon to sound smug, but he managed it.

Kiara shot him a glare, then quickly returned her attention to this new development. She eyed the scorpion as though it would suddenly come to life and sting her. She'd never thought of herself as a particularly squeamish person- gods, she'd stitched up her own wounds before!- but the thought of eating that thing made her stomach churn.

"Well you can't turn him down," her dragon mused aloud, "you might offend him. Perhaps an exchange? Some of your dried meat for that delicious looking invertebrate?"

"I hate you," Kiara informed him without taking her eyes from Eihmo'tei and his smile, forcing herself to return the expression. "Grab my pack, will you?" she added.

Kit laughed, a great rumbling sound like stones knocking together, and twisted his body so he could reach back over the dune to their little campsite. As he did, Kiara took a deep breath and reached out to accept the scorpion, teeth bared in what was becoming more of a grimace than a grin.

She had to repress a shudder at the feel of its slick carapace against her skin. Holding it at eye level, the young woman steeled her nerves and muttered, "Bottom's up."

Crunch.

Kalak8538

That was surprising.

Eihmo'tei did not expect Kiara to bite into raw scorpion right away. Sure, the Zerdani were able to eat scorpion or lizard raw, but they knew that it tasted better cooked. Despite her best effort, she could not hide from the Zerdani how disgusted she was to eat it. So why did she?

He knew it was probably rude, but Eihmo'tei could not help but start chuckling, sitting back down on the sandy duneside as he did so. His laughter was like a child's, due to the higher pitch of his voice. He stifled it when he could, pondering why it had taken as long to do so. Her eating of the raw insect was not that funny, nor was what came after. Perhaps it was that this strange giant being was truly not as different from him as he originally thought. Still smiling, he rose again. Turning around once more, he re-tied his pack, and went to put it back over his shoulder. A few steps took the Zerdani to the peak of the dune.

He looked to the sky. Judging by the moon's position, he knew that there were still several hours before he would have to dig out a den for the daytime. He looked now to the bat lizard by the campsite, then to Kiara. He wondered what they would do next. Surely, they had a tribe to return to, right? That is, unless they were exploring like he was. Eihmo'tei pondered what HE would do next. Should he follow them? Could he follow them? Would they allow it? It was a safe bet that they knew more about the world than he did. He stayed there on the peak, waiting for Kiara to come along...

DragonSong

The instant Eihmo'tei turned around to re-situate his pack, Kiara gagged and tossed what was left of the scorpion onto the sand behind her. "Dear gods," she rasped, debating rubbing a handful of sand against her tongue to rid herself of the taste. She could hear Kit thunder a laugh again and shot a glare in his direction. Bad enough the fox kid was laughing at her (though it was a rather charming sound, she had to admit), she could do without the dragon.

As she looked up, she saw their guest had climbed to the peak of the dune and was glancing back at her, eyes glimmering green when the light of the dying campfire caught them. She stood and brushed sand off her rear, then set off after him. As she reached the peak, Kit raised his head up from the camp and dropped her pack into her outstretched hands. He gave him a nod of thanks and reached in, rummaging about until her fingers brushed against one of the strips of dried, salted meat she'd brought along for provisions. Pulling it out, she extended her hand to Eihmo'tei with a smile.

"Here you are," she said, despite knowing he couldn't understand her, "in exchange for that...tasty scorpion." Kit chuffed in amusement and she waved her free hand at him.Quickly she turned the wave into a gesture toward their little camp. "Kit, tell him he's welcome to share the fire, if he likes."

Kalak8538

Kiara offered the Zerdani something. Something... strange. Although she offered it freely, Eihmo'tei was hesitant to accept it.

Holding it in his paws, it was like the bark of a dead tree, but more flexible. It also had a strange scent. She continued on towards the fire they had set up. The great lizard huffed some words, and Eihmo'tei recognized that they wanted him to stay in the area. Deciding to further investigate this strange-smelling thing later, the Zerdani kept it clasped in his paw and followed close behind Kiara. Settling by the fire, albeit nice and tranquil, confused Eihmo'tei.

Were these two going to sit here all night? When were they going to move. All Zerdani knew that when traveling great distances in the desert, one should move during the night when it was cool, and take cover from the sun's rays during the day. However, these were not Zerdani, and probably had learned differently. Several minutes had passed before he decided to get up and make his questions known.

"Kii'arah. Do you move- on "move", he walked low to the ground in an exaggerated manner to symbolize moving. -when it is night?" on "night", he pointed to the moon and made a crescent moon shape with his paw. Tilting his head in a similar fashion as Kiara and Kit had done when asking him his name, "Or move when sun rises?" He extended his arms and put both paws together (still with meat in hand) to make a ball, raising them slowly towards east to simulate the sunrise.

DragonSong

Eihmo'tei started moving, pantomiming something, and Kiara watched closely. He almost crawled across the ground for a moment, obviously exaggerating his movements in an attempt to get his message across, then suddenly pointed at the sky. He traced a shape with his paw, then tilted his head quizzically. Talking in his own language the whole time, he made a circle with his paws and moved them slowly upwards.

"He's asking...something about...timing?" Kiara guessed, looking at Kit for confirmation. As far as she could tell, his pointing to the sky and hand-shapes had something to do with the moon, or perhaps the sun.

Kit nodded, eyes narrowed in concentration. "I believe," he said slowly, "he wants to know when we plan to break camp." The dragon swung his head toward her, nuzzling at the back of her head and almost sending her face first into the sand. "Something about if we move at night or during the day."

Kiara batted him away, well used to his spontaneous (and often overly exuberant) signs of affection. "Hmm..." She furrowed her brow, thinking. She and Kit had planned to fly during the day; while the desert as hottest when the sun was up, it was simply too cold for her when they flew at night. Not only was Kit a fast flyer, so she had the wind to contend with, but he occasionally flew high enough that she had to remind him the air was too thin for her weak human lungs.

But, for a ground-dwelling creature as Eihmo'tei obviously was, travelling at night only made sense. She supposed they'd better establish if the fox-boy wanted to come with them to Essyrn. If he did, they should leave at first light; the city was about half a day's flight away. If he wanted to go his own way, he should probably continue travelling while it was still cool enough to do so. "Kit-" she started.

The dragon snorted. He knew what she'd been thinking. Nodding, Kiara looked back to Eihmo'tei and asked (with Kit attempting to translate), "Do you want to come with us-" she indicated herself and Kit with a hand gesture, then stood and walked a few steps to show movement, then smiled and spread her arms wide, hoping to convey "togetherness"- "or travel on your own?" Here she pointed at him, raised her finger to show "one", and then walked two fingers across her palm.

Kalak8538

(ooc: Short post. sorry)

Between Kiara's movements, and Kit's strange ability to make sense with guttural growls, the Zerdani understood perfectly. They had invited him to come along (or rather... gave him the option).

The more he understood, the more Eihmo'tei's eyes and smile widened, and the more his giant ears stood on end. He was absolutely ecstatic! Instead of following his better judgement to observe them from a distance before moving on, he had made friends with these two strange giants, and now he was going to join them as they led him to gods know where! He could not contain such excitement. It was a challenge resisting hopping up and down in pure happiness.

He almost forgot to answer the question, due to the burst of pure joy. When Eihmo'tei realized this, he responded immediately:
"AYA! AYA!" (His word for "Yes") "I wish to travel with you!!

DragonSong

Kiara couldn't help laughing at Eihmo'tei's exuberance; not a mocking laugh, simply an expression of his contagious excitement. "I don't think I need a translation for that," she told Kit, chuckling. "In that case," she continued, directing her attention back to Eihmo'tei, "We'll leave at dawn." She tried to mimic his gesture for the sunrise, then waved a hand toward the horizon. "Kit will fly us to Essyrn." Here she patted the dragon's flank.

For his part, Kit added to his translation by unfurling his wings to illustrate the message. They were large- they had to be, to get him off the ground- almost blocking out the night sky. The thin veins of silver and gold shot through them glinted in the firelight.