Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What a Man Wants [VisualSpice] (M)

Started by Ivory, January 01, 2013, 07:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

Audric, as usual, knocked on Calent's door and scarcely waited for an invitation before entering.  It wasn't his business, of course, what Calent did or did not do with the woman waiting in the parlor -- but he'd been a soldier too long not to notice...certain assets.

And, he, for one, approved of her gifts.  Some might find them odd, but whoever operated as the Chandos Family rumor-monger had done an excellent job in assessing Calent's personality and interests.  Yes, it was certainly unusual...

"Lady Kathryn of Highheart has arrived," he began without preamble.  It usually wasn't his duty to announce visitors, but he had volunteered this time around...  With his usual, roguish grin, he added, "I can see why the King of Thieves wanted to propose to her.  She's not hard on the eyes."

visualspice

OOC: I won't lie that this title amuses me greatly and also fuels a certain ego XD *sparkles*

IC:
Calent had buried himself away that day. It was an obsession of his, and the last two unaccounted for coppers would not be missed the second time through.  He didn't know why he paid these tax collectors, but he supposed he shouldn't make such a fuss over a petty two coins, but.. even still, the money had to account for something. This was not his money, after all, but the money that went back to his people, fixing roads, building a new and giving leniencies where necessary if the funds proved fruitful that year (an idea that seemed to keep the people more appreciable of their taxes).

Papers were everywhere, and an extra ledger was brought in from storage. Calent continued to scribble with his quill, making a fuss over this and that, writing furiously before finally, with a sigh, tossing the paper aside and peering up and through a ledger at his friend.

He almost seemed to wrinkle his nose, but rather gave a sniff when the famous thief was mentioned.
"If you approve, perhaps she should just be dismissed." Though his tone seemed cold, Audric might know that it was his soured attempt at humor.  "I still haven't found those two coppers. But I think I know what two villages it could have been missed by." Ignoring what Audric was presenting, he went on to talk about the tax as she leaned back in his chair.
"The tax collector near the river was new, his position heir ed to him when his father went ill. Though they know my strict policy, I wouldn't put it pass him to make a mistake." He rubbed at the bridge of his nose, smudging just the faintest blot of ink high upon his cheek before he turned to Audric.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

OOC: Yeah, I totes have Christina Aguilera stuck in my head now.  What a girl wants, what a girl needs~

Audric grinned at the sight of the smudge.  He'd let the lady outside point it out to him later, if she chose to do so.  If she didn't, well, then, Calent would walk around with a smudge of ink on his face until he himself noticed!  Either way, it would be good fun.

For him, anyway.

Calent could talk about taxes all he liked.  Audric's sisters both had heads for math and coins; Audric preferred the subject of Anatomy -- female in particular, but he was also quite good at knowing where to stab a man to bring him to his knees without necessarily dooming him...

"If coins are all that you're interested in, I could, perhaps, interest you in a dowry proposal?  I hear the Duke of Highheart would pay a man handsomely for the privilege of seeing his eldest daughter wed within the year."  He shrugged lightly, although he was still grinning.  He knew he sounded like a nag, but Calent did need a little encouragement.  What sort of a man preferred taxes to the company of a woman?

"Or, perhaps, you would like to hear about the gifts she has brought from her father as an apology for the stain upon your name.  There's no coin, but I do think you'll enjoy them, Calent."

visualspice

Calent only stared, and continued to stare at his friend before sighing.
"You've peaked my interest, I'm enthralled," he replied flatly, again, another way he'd ever show his jest as he pressed his hands to the table to rise.  "I am well aware of the gossip, a certain man posing as myself is not only a smack at the duchy of Highheart, but my own reputation as well." he frowned outwardly for saying it, though he knew he had already stated that before in privacy to his friend.
"It is flattering, their notion, but what do you think the people would see if a false proposal had occured, then a real one, of the same effect, soon after?"
His eyes caught something on the paper as he moved away, growling.
"The two coppers.." he growled, snatching up a paper and sighed, smacking his hand on the paper.
"The fees he forgot when tolling across the Norther bridge."
And the frown Calent wore now was immense as he sighed, not even bothering to note it as he tossed the damned thing aside and pressed his thumb ad finger to his eyes and sighed.

Wrinkling his nose, he pulled his hand away and looked towards Audric.
"So, I suppose you're waiting for my cue to allow you the luxury of offering me all of the details." He almost smiled, a twitch on his lips as he shrugged and crossed his arms over his chest. "My approval never halted your tongue from just telling me before." he stared at Audric, simply waiting for him to dish out all of his knowledge about this woman-

After all, who knew...
Maybe it would be intriguing to wed the girl who was falsely proposed. It would put an end to any of the gossip around himself- who currently was at such an age that no bride and no heir was almost  scandal in itself.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric chuckled at his friend.  "Yes, but I do have to make sure you're paying attention, don't I?" he asked smugly before accepting the invitation.

"Lady Kathryn Chandos is said to be quite beautiful -- a fact I can attest to now, and you shall see for yourself shortly.  Her beauty is only exceeded, in equal parts, by her modesty and piety.  She attends Church at least three times each week -- enough for both of you -- and is a pillar of charity and kindness towards the poor.  Her people love her dearly, and even your people, after hearing such things, are enraged that the King of Thieves would prey upon such an innocent creature."  He paused, then added, "And there is a particularly nasty rumor that the man killed one of the Lady's suitors -- a Lord Philippe of Brisaelia -- and two guards for interfering when the villain attempted to have his way with the Lady."  Audric wasn't quite sure he believed that -- it was quite fanciful, although he wouldn't put it past the King of Thieves to stoop to rape.

"All of that aside, she loves to hunt and to ride, they say, and she is a charming hostess and obedient daughter."

Audric shrugged lightly.  "You could do worse in a bride.  And the other nobles are looking to you to set an example.  Turn her away, and the family will be shunned.  Treat her kindly, and the rest of the Kingdom would treat you as a hero, I imagine, for rescuing the poor, innocent girl."

visualspice

OOC: Oh.. Brisaelia! XD *remembers!*

IC:

Calent listened to his friend in relative silence, the list going on and on about the woman without a vice. THough, he supposed , that was just the way. Yes, a fine catch, any would say, though the last phrase had him peering curiously at his friend as he asked, "Do you find yourself imaging me as a hero?"

It was actually hard to tell if the question were serious or not.

Ivory

Oh, there were sure to be vices.  The important thing to remember was her vices were so well-hidden and so discrete that they meant nothing.

Audric outright smirked in response to the question.  "I seem to remember you used to dream of being one.  Surely, that's one childhood dream you haven't forgotten and out-grown?"  He posed it as a bit of a challenge -- and smugly at that.

"I'm not saying you have to propose to her, anyway.  Oh, I wish you would find a wife, just to give the tongues something new to wag about.  But be kind to her, in the very least.  And accept her gifts with a smile."

That made him pause again, and he couldn't help but add, "I really do think you'll like them, though."

visualspice

Calent eyed his friend.  He wouldn't be lying if he admitted to just plain forgetting those memories. His mind, as of these last few, wretched years, had long been distracted by so many turmoils obstructing the few finer things in life he had once enjoyed.

But he knew a jest when he heard one. He only stared.

"I will find one in due time, and if she's already within my castle, perhaps it'll make it all the easier," he said, then gestured for Audric to lead onward.  "Let's not keep the lady waiting."

Ivory

Kathryn rose as the pair of men stepped into the parlor.  She recognized the guard, of course, and assumed the man in the finer clothing must be Calent.

Well, she thought, he wasn't bad looking...  There was a certain familiarity about him that reminded her of Dekka -- but, perhaps, it was just something of the coloring...

"Duke Calent?  I am Lady Kathryn Chandos, daughter of Harald Chandos, Duke of Highheart.  My father bade me to deliver to you this letter in his hand, as well as some items which he dearly hoped would make amends for the recent events in Highheart."

She assumed he already knew of those events...

visualspice

The greeting was conducted in proper as the Duke bowed humbly before the lovely lady before him. Yes, she was young and beautiful, as predicted, but, as it were, many women could be.
He listened to her statement with interest and nodded his head.
"It was an unfortunate circumstance," he replied coolly, then gestured for Audric to retrieve the letter.  "I am humbled you wish to make amends, though your duchy would hardly find itself in such a predicament had I not initially declined the event." Calent took her hand and kissed it lightly, before raising his eyes to meet with hers- the ink still smudged across his face.
"But I am grateful for your arrival. Perhaps we can boast that within our time spent together our duchies can build a better and more social alliance."

Ivory

Kathryn became momentarily distracted by the smudge of ink, made suddenly apparent as he stepped further into the room.  And, of course, once seen, the ink could not again be unseen...

The smile that answered his greeting was as cool as his own, although her blue eyes sparkled with humor that remained apart from her mask.  "You do me a great honor to welcome me with such kind words to your beautiful duchy," she murmured lightly.

She glanced towards the guard that had accompanied the Duke, noting that he was watching their exchange with a fair amount of interest...and with a smirk.  She had to wonder if the ink smudge on the Duke's face was no accident at all...

"As I said earlier, I do also have gifts my father wished presented to you.  Due to their nature, they remain outside in my carriage.  If you wish, we can view them at your leisure."

visualspice

Calent couldn't figure out why Audric was smiling, even if it wasn't fully realized on his lips, he knew there was something about the one in his eyes. But he'd inquire about it later. He was probably just pleased with Calent's civil tongue. But of course he'd be... after all, this was a Lady.

He bowed his head at her respectful compliments, then his eyes followed towards the great front doors where she had come. Then back to her he looked and nodded. "If you wish, we could move on to the presentation."

After all, a gift was a gift, ad he was, if anything at all, a little curious what Highheart were to bring.  He gestured towards Audric, a silent word spoken to have him and the guards lead the way.

Ivory

"As you wish, Duke Calent," Kathryn stated prettily.  There was the small problem of the smudge...  Given the solemnity and formality of the occasion -- and the fact she had heard only of his reserved, almost cold nature -- she wasn't at all sure it would be proper to simply blurt it out...

She would have to compromise.

She followed Audric willingly towards the doors, then paused in front of the large mirror set beside the doorway.  "May I have my jacket and gloves, please?" she requested of one of the servants hovering beside the door.  As he scuttled off to see to her request, she turned towards the mirror as if just noticing it.

"This is a beautiful mirror, Duke Calent," she offered, as though making small-talk as they waited.  In truth, she wanted to lure him over to the reflective surface so that he might catch a glimpse of the smudge himself...  "Is it an heirloom?"

visualspice

At her inquiry about the mirror, he moved towards her side to oblige her with a reply.
"Yes," he said. "A few genertions." And the he looked at his reflection.

A little color became loose from his face, as did the muscles in his jaw as he noticed the ink smear and turned away suddenly, trying, as discretely as he could, to wipe away the ink blot that was there, and also tossing a slight glare Audric's way...
Then, his eyes flickered to the mirror again, just a bit more remained before he wiped at it again then cleared his throat, hands clasped behind his back.

"Shall we continue outside, Lady Kathryn?" he said, still keeping his cool.
He didn't need to thank her- the silent respect was there.

But Audric...

Audric was due for an earful that night...
Just he wait......

Ivory

Kathryn turned away when it became apparent he had noticed the smudge himself, becoming rather engrossed with the door as the servant helped her on with her coat.  By the time she had her jacket buttoned up and her gloves on, she saw that the smudge had vanished.

And the captain of Calent's guard was looking about as pleased as a cat in the cream.

"Of course," she answered, as though nothing were amiss.  Out into the courtyard they went.  Kathryn led the procession over to her carriage.  A footman bowed lowly to them, then set down an ornate chest.

Kathryn opened the trunk herself.  From it, she withdrew two items: a beautiful bow bearing Calent's coat of arms, and a quiver of fine arrows.  Each piece of the collection was a piece of work by itself, and, although it likely had been expensive, it was made to be used rather than hung on a mantle; Calent would find no gaudy gemstones or flashy, unbalancing fixtures.

"My father shares your passion for hunting," she murmured respectively, as she held out the items towards him.  She handled them carefully -- and she seemed to know her way around a bow.  "He hopes you will have occasion to use this bow.  He hopes you may accept a future invitation to the Valley for a hunt so that the bow comes to serve as a symbol of friendship formed through a common endeavor."

visualspice

Calent, was indeed, impressed by the gift and found himself staring in aw of it's weight and craftsman ship.  It was evident Highheart had done it's homework well, as he bowed politely towards the lately, forehead nearly touching the wood before rising again to address the lady face to face.

"A more than fair assessment of my passions," Calent admitted. "The bow is beautiful. As is the the daughter of his blood line." he bowed to her proper, taking her hand and kissing it fair. "IF you would be so kind enough to accept the compliment, and also of engaging me as your traveling companion back to Highheart. When you return, as I am afraid I do not know how long you wish to stay in Allar, I would be pleased to return with, if only to make amends on my own part and to make use of the bow on your father's bountiful hunting lands. And for repairing the damage done by sending a feebled attempt at a regret to the ball. That of which, I can assure you, is still weighing heavily as guilt upon my heart."

Ivory

Kathryn smiled through her blush, peeking at him through her long lashes.  She was genuinely pleased -- it was the sort of thing Dekka disguised as Calent had said, and it did appeal to her ladylike sensibilities.

"My parents will be honored to hear of your decision, Duke Calent, and I, myself, am overjoyed at the thought of traveling in your company.  And overwhelmed by your kind words."  For some reason, she hadn't expected him to be so similar to the role Dekka had played...  She half-expected him to say something scandalous next.  "My only duty in Allar was to deliver my father's words and gifts to you.  It is a beautiful country, however, and had I a proper escort, I should have lingered to cherish the sights.  And the company."  Her smile widened slightly, and she glanced modestly away, although her tone left no doubt as to who she meant.  "Unfortunately, my father had pressing business, and I have no brothers nor uncles who could provide me escort."  Obviously, the handful of guardsmen that had accompanied her didn't count.  And she certainly wasn't about to suggest he put her up -- that was a decision he would have to come to on his own!

Audric's expression, meanwhile, was just short of gaping.  For Calent to suddenly decide to accompany the young woman was...well, something of a miracle.  He liked to barb his friend -- and lecture him -- but he hadn't imagined he would warm up so quickly to the girl!

visualspice

Calent blushed, but only subtly, enough for him to steel away as he nodded at her words.
"Well, perhaps we can remedy the situation. Please, do come inside and join me for a proper meal and stay as a guest at my residence for the night.  It's not everyday I get a chance to entertain a lady from far away.  And, Perhaps, if you feel it honorable, we could decide on travel arrangements back to Highheart come the morning?"

Ivory

"Of course, Duke Calent.  And, I am certain there would be no dishonor in spending time in the company of an esteemed gentleman such as yourself."  Assuming, of course, their time was not spent in his bedroom or entirely in her carriage...  He was a Duke, after all, and more credit was given to him than to, say, a lowly thief.

"I do hope my presence here is not an imposition," she went on with a warm, grateful smile.  "My footman can see to my baggage."  She made a vague gesture in aforementioned servant's direction.  She assumed he would find room for her servants -- the footman, the driver, the maid, and the handful of guards in her company.  "I'm embarrassed to confess we did not give you proper warning of my arrival."

A letter had been sent, of course, but a mere letter stating that an envoy would be sent was not the same thing as the Duke's own daughter turning up...

visualspice

"Yes, we have many guests quarters for you and your servants," the duke went on, bowing to her with natural grace as he offered her an arm. "We can send a messenger out to notify your father that we will be arriving, so as not to surprise him with an unexpected guest as you return. Naturally, I would only offer you the finest rooms in all of my castle, the entire guest hall being yours. And you needn't worry yourself over the surprise, it was.. a refreshing change from the bland  daily occurrences I feel chained to here in Allar. Come, let me show you the grounds."
And as he moved away with Kathryn on his arm, he shot a nasty glance back towards Audric.

As the two strolled about the castle, the Duke informing her about each and every room, and even the details behind some of the portraits, the would find themselves infront of a great painting of Calent and his mother and father, a family portrait baring the stoic faces of the Allarrick breed.  Though Calent was much younger there, it was evident he was even handsome in his youth and his green eyes, nearly appearing lost in the canvas.

"This is our family portrait. Painted some time ago," The duke informed, hands clasped behind his back, shoulder's straight and at attention. "It is only a sad regret my parents are not alive here today to help tend to the castle." He forced a smile for her, a professional one. "But I'd like to think we do alright for here."

Tags: