Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Second Chances

Started by visualspice, May 27, 2013, 07:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Escaping from Reajh when all of the chaos was going down had nearly cost her her life. Her brother was there, and she always had that fear, always watching over her back that he would come for her, take her away and try to conquer her yet again with the unspeakable acts from before. It was from him that she ran. From him, and from the chaos consuming all of Connlaoth. She had to get out. This country was no longer safe for her. How could she call a place home that suddenly turned every mage and magic user into an enemy? How could she call it home when her brother had gone mad?

No, she had to fight, and run and move on. She had to start a life anywhere. So wearily, Kella found herself stumbling into Matron's Hallow. The chaos hadn't quite reached this city, but the rumors had already begun to spread. But she was too tired and thankful the people here didn't look at her as if she were some sinister monster as they had back in Reajh, so she kept her cloak over her head securely, and tightened her coat to keep it snug against her body. She just needed to find more supplies, but she was almost out of money, and she had no idea where to go from here. She was so hungry, she found herself shaking as she moved down the street, looking for something, anything that can help her on her way. Maybe food first, then she could focus on the rest later, as she took in the savory aromas steaming out from a nearby tavern.

Standing outside the front, she stared in through the window, but was taken back when she noticed her reflection. She was soiled and dirty, her hair beginning to come in longer again. She'd have to cut it soon. And a bath would be needed, but it wasn't required to survive. But by the God's, the day was chilling. SHe breathed into her hand.It was still autumn, but today, it felt chilly, as if winter were already well on it's way.  At least she still appeared more like a man, the clothing she had taken from her brother would work wella nd was so soiled, it was undetectable that it was his.. or, at least she hoped her brother would not detect it. But she was always on edge, so when someone approached her, she gave a yelp, then looked away.

"Eh? You ok there, sir?" the old man asked, his lower lip jutting out in flickering pout.

Kella cowered away, but simply nodded her head. She was afraid to speak, afraid to give away that she wasn't a man. It was best to pretend to be someone else.. something else.

"Were you interested in coming in? The foods hot and fresh- made daily, and only a few coppers for a bowl!" he said.
She smiled at his words, slowly nodded at them before stepping on inside. But the crowd inside was rather rowdy, so she was thankful there was a quiet seat in the back, a small table with only one other patron sitting at it, and when they hadn't noticed her when she took the seat, she figured it was ok to remain here. It was quieter on this side of the tavern, and she rubbed her hands together and turned towards the fire, keeping her hood over her head still and her eyes to the ground. She'd have to be quick. Get in, get the food, and get out. Maybe get some extra for the road, but that was all she could afford.

Who knew if her brother was aware she was heading south. She had to get over the boarder, and she had to do it fast.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

It was the cold days that were the rowdiest. With the weather too chill to burn off steam outdoors, the men drew inward and took to drinking too much to keep their insides warm.

Twenty years ago, Alexander would have been among the lustful youth making fools of themselves and harassing the barmaids. Nowadays, he was content to take a quiet seat out of drink-spilling range and nearest to the fire--and content to keep a watchful eye in case those men did more than stare at said barmaids. Each of those girls was young enough to be his daughter, and he could remember the both of them as children.

So far, things were staying fairly clean and mostly tame. Alexander took a sip of his ale, finishing off the tankard, and was about to order another when a boy slipped in and joined him.

Alexander gave a light chuckle, glancing over at him as he warmed himself. "Too wild a bunch for you too, lad?" he commented
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Kella lifted her head, affording a small smile with her soft lips, the only thing, besides the tip of her nose that showed out from her hood, before lowering her gaze, her face once again shrouded in shadows.

"Yes," she said, realizing her voice came out too feminine as she cleared her throat and tried to get it to sound more grated, deep and rough. Though she was too afraid to speak much more than that as she moved uneasily within her chair before settling to a stiff seated position. It was then one of the bar maids came their way. Kella turned as she began to speak, listening to what she asked, and would shake her head 'no' to drinking ale, yes, to water, and a nod for ordering stew.

The young bar maid eyed her for a minute before smirking.
"A quiet one aren't ya?" then she turned to Alexander and her smile widened. "Perhaps you can get the young sir talking before the night is over? It's a cold one out there, might as well keep the pleasantries and warmth indoors, eh?" Then she bowed off. "I'll be back with your order." ANd she studied Alexander a moment and inquired, "Oh, is there anything else I can get for you while i'm over here, Mister Beringer?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Alexander laughed and gave the girl a wink. "You know me, Angie. I'm a talker. I'll get him chatting if I don't chat his ear off first. Anyway, I could use some more ale, if you'd be so kind," he said, sliding the tankard over for her to take.

As she bustled away, he turned his attention back to the new boy.

"Haven't seen you around before," he commented, fingers playing absently with his beard. "Then again, there isn't much of you to see, bundled up like that! You with the troops that came through here?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Kella was quiet as she listened to their exchange. Had she not been on the run, afraid of being exposed, she would have been happy to be in such company. But times have changed and not only would her own life be in jeopardy, but his. And possibly everyone in this establishment. At that fact, she looked around fearfully before lowering her gaze once again and shuffled within her chair. She was too paranoid. Of course there was no sign of her brother, Blaith. But one could never be too sure...
They came from a rich family, so they could have eyes and ears just about anywhere.

She had almost missed Alexander's words, so when he spoke, her head jerked over in his direction, appearing startled (because she was). He'd be able to see her lips, but nothing more, a frown upon their paleness as she simply turned away with a shake of her head and answered in a low, cautious, rough voice, "No."

Rhindeer

Even though he was covered, his body language was obvious: the slight shuffling in his seat, the way he didn't quite seem able to sit still and kept looking about, the way he jerked when Alexander spoke and turned away when he answered. Not to mention the curt, quiet response. Alexander hadn't survived long years as a soldier by being unobservant, and the behavior was odd enough that his jovial demeanor slipped and turned instead to concern.

The boy wasn't just a shy thing avoiding the noise; no, this was the behavior of a hunted thing. The kid looked like he was trying to be invisible, holed up back there and all covered up in a room that was too warm for that, and his jumpiness spoke of someone who was on high alert. Alexander just wondered who the foxes were.

Leaning in closer, Alexander lowered his voice to a whisper. "You in trouble, lad?"

visualspice

Kella was taken back when the man leaned in closer, causing her to lean away in surprise, and maybe, only briefly, giving him a slight look of her face. But she simply shook her head, 'No', despite feeling she was caught red handed. She feared he might misinterpret what she was afraid of. And although she ran, she was no real criminal. Besides, this wasn't a problem she was about to just dish out to some stranger. It was bad enough her mere touch could kill someone, let alone her brother, suffering from the same cruel twist of magic, was after her like a lioness stalking it's meal.

Rhindeer

Alexander caught only a glimpse of the boy's face, enough to see that he was very young and fair-skinned with a hint of blond hair, but not enough of a look to see if there was anything familiar there. Still, with how determined the boy seemed to stay hidden, his silent protest was clearly a lie.

Alexander glanced out at the busy crowd, which was quite jolly and distracted, and then back at the stranger.

"Look, lad, if you're in trouble, it's alright. I'm not gonna throw you to the wolves. But if you need help, I may be able to do something to keep them at bay. Whatever it is, it can't be that bad. Though..." He gave a little chuckle. "I remember being your age, and how some things can sure seem like the end of the world at the time. But the world's still here and so much older than the troubles of so many youngsters. Say, what's your name?"

And then, thinking better of it, he added, "If you give me a fake name, it's not like I'll know the difference."

visualspice

Kella stared down at her lap, hoping she appeared as small as she felt. But really, she hadn't the power to simply make herself disappear, and she had to eventually interact with people if she was going to get out of the country.

"I don't have a name, but please believe me when I say my trouble is real, and that I wish to abstain from speaking of it." And she hoped her voice sounding convincing enough to be a males, though it was hard for her to play it up, especially when she kept her voice low so it would only carry to him. She also hope the man would drop the subject. She wanted to remain inconspicuous after all.

Rhindeer

Hmm...there was something odd about his voice. It had been easy to miss when the lad was giving one-word answers, but now that he was speaking in full sentences, Alexander couldn't help but notice it seemed a little forced. Like the parody of a man's voice, the sort of voice people used when, well...

When they were pretending to be a man.

It was the exaggerated roughness that did it--and was certainly not the sort of voice he would have expected to go with such a youthful face.

Now, he didn't want to be too presumptuous, considering he'd met plenty of people with mismatched voices, but slowly the puzzle pieces were sliding into place. He decided to take a chance; the worst that could happen was he was wrong and the lad was offended, and that was nothing a lot of apologizing and a drink on him couldn't soothe!

Resting his elbow on the table and his chin in his hand, he gave a little shrug and kept his voice low. "You know, the trick to playing a man isn't always a deeper voice," he said with a smile. "Young men have higher voices."

visualspice

Kella was take back by the directness of the man's words, but she could sense it was in good humor, and upon that realization, she released her held breath. He might have even been able to detect the smile upon her lips as she lowered her head.

"I shall keep that in mind for next time," she spoke, her voice barely above a whisper before she peered curiously over at him. He was a lot older than she, though not really, if you calculated the real age she was more than what she looked like, for time had only been generous to her due to the loss of life- a life she had inadvertently stolen from a poor child working in the stables. His memories still haunted her from time to time, but it was something she has since dealt with since the incident.

And this gentleman looked kindly enough, with a ready smile on his face, and slightly rough features, something that reminded her of some of the soldiers from back at home. But it was his eyes that put her at ease, those clear, blue eyes set against a friendly and handsome face and in spite of herself, she found he smile growing, even if it came uneasily upon her lips.

"If you must know my reason for being here, I'm simply passing through, hoping to get to the boarder before the month's end." And well before winter... the weather had already changed increasingly fast, with cold nights, and crisp air during the day. The leaves had already changed, and in some areas, all were already dropped from the trees and littered the grounds in layers of blood red colors, ochres, and crisp browns. And as she continued to study him, she realized her manners and looked away, her own blue eyes going to her lap.

Rhindeer

Ah, so he was right! Alexander's eyes sparkled with amusement as he watched her, noting the way her body seemed to relax. It had been a risk, he'd admit; his words could have just as easily spooked her and made her bolt from the tavern. But he'd been hoping frankness and a relaxed, casual approach would help soften any fright that gave her.

Turns out, he'd been right.

His smile grew, and as she studied him, he studied her right back, hardly minding. Looking at her now, it was hard to believe he'd mistaken her for a boy--but he'd seen plenty of boys that could qualify, so perhaps not. Now the question was, what made her take to dressing up and trying to pass as a man? There were a few possibilities he could think of, and what with her mention of trouble and skittish behavior, none of them were good.

"You won't make it to the border," he said with a frown, playing with the beads in his beard out of habit. His brow creased. "It's a long ways from here, and the weather's about to get bad. Not to mention there've been soldiers going through here."

He paused and looked at her, hoping she would grasp his meaning, which was twofold. Not only did it mean there could be trouble afoot, but he'd been a soldier once, and though they protected the nation, they were still men, and not all of them good men. "It's not safe for a woman on her own."

visualspice

For a long while Kella stared at him, but quickly tore her blue eyes away, glancing down at her lap where she nervously played at the hem of her long jerkin.
"I'm aware. There's been much chaos," she said softly. "I have just been from the capital." Surely she wouldn't have to entertain more news than that. All of Connlaoth was in an uproar, and Reajh was the city that faired the worse of them all.

Rhindeer

Alexander paused when the barmaid came by, with water and stew for the lady and ale for him. When she asked if they needed anything else, Alexander declined with a polite smile, and once she was gone, he turned back to the woman.

"I'd consider hunkering down for a while, miss," he said, taking a sip of ale, and then added with a frown, "Do you even have a place to stay? Where have you been sleeping?"

visualspice

Kella shifted uncomfortably. She wasn't sure how to answer his question, so she frowned and said nothing, and looked down at the food.
"Do not trouble yourself. I have been making do," she said, hoping the gentleman would leave it at that, though she hesitated as she looked at the food. She as famished, but being put on the spot light like she was, under this man's (evenly seemingly innocent) scrutiny, had her stomach tying itself in knots.

Rhindeer

Alexander held up his hands. "Ah, sorry, miss. I'm just concerned," he said, and sat back in his chair.

"I don't mean to stick my nose into your business, I'm just, well, a man." He chuckled. "Got that 'fix it' instinct. Used to drive my wife batty when she just wanted to vent and here I am, giving her advice when she just wanted me to listen."

visualspice

Kella glanced up at him curiously at the mention of his wife, her eyes, more full of emotion, as they stared at him, studying him from beneath the veil of shadow cast down from her cloak.
"It doens't seem like such a bad flaw," she smiled a little bit, then looked down at the bowl of soup. "There could be worse things a man possesses." And though she hated to admit it, it was nice and comforting to have a conversation like this, it helped ease some of the tension from the severity of her situation. Which helped loosen the knot in her belly. SHe lifted the soup to her lips, blew on it softly, before takign her first bite.

Rhindeer

"Oh, sure," Alexander agreed with a chuckle. "There's plenty worse! But there being worse didn't make it any less annoying."

And with a wink, he added, "And I never said that was my only flaw. I also snore loud enough to shake the walls."

visualspice

Kella smiled, keeping her head down as she looked at her soup.
"To be fair, most men snore," she retorted in good humor, her breath still soft and low, but gentle. ANd she peered up at him but once before eating some more soup. But as she swallowed it down, she became silent as she stared at her reflection in the soup bowl, thinking back to the men in her life.... Mainly her brother, who was now her enemy.

Rhindeer

Alexander laughed. "Well, if we wanna be real fair, so do most women," he said, then winked. "We just tell them they don't out of politeness, let them keep up the dainty image and all."

But she had fallen silent, and Alexander took another gulp of ale during the lull before asking, "Are you okay?"

Tags: