Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

High-ho, the merry-oh, a hunting we will go! [Spicyyyy!]

Started by Rhindeer, May 27, 2013, 08:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

They weren't very far into their trip, but Faolán was already bouncing along the trail, full of excess energy. Sure, it was just an easy beginner mission, make sure the trails were clear and all that, but it sounded like an important mission, too, because they were helping out the soldiers and stuff! For their country! It made him feel all responsible and everything, not to mention this mission involved traveling and no--as far as he could see, at least--forests!

Which was good, because he wasn't a fan of forests.

Adjusting his traveling pack on his shoulders, Faolán trotted alongside Killian and beamed up at his partner, bursting with excitement both nervous and genuine.

"Have ya ever done this before?" he asked. "Gone on a long trip like this? 'Cause I never have! Never even been as far as we're goin' and, gosh, last time they sent me on a mission, my partner and I got attacked by a monster! And that was just a mile away in the woods. But this sounds easy and, uh...promise I won't get us attacked or nothin'! Hey, are there bandits out here?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Killian was excited too, for this chance at their first real mission as soldiers. Albeit, the pair was to trek it alone, which that in itself made him feel vulnerable, but also a trustworthy asset to the army. So as they walked along, Killian was more reserved in his exuberance as his long legs continued to carry him forward down the trail.

"Well, I guess there could be, but our mission is to ensure this road is safe and clear so that the soldiers can use it to march much more easily north." North for what, he wasn't quite certain, except apparently North had a solution to their mage problems, so if it would help the cause and help his country, he was more than happy to oblige. Though the valley was rather.. boring, yet beautiful in it's own right, as Killian's eyes began to move around, observing the tall grasses stretching about as far as the eye could see.

"I guess that's why they sent us in pairs," Killian mused. "In case we were to run into trouble. Though," he gave a shrug. "I can't say that I've done anything like this before. At least not really." He gave a shake of his head, then looked over at  Faolán  with a smile.
"I came from a farm, so the only real traveling we had done was to get the apples into town. Though I suppose this sort of work is different."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

"An apple farm, huh?" Faolán said, trotting ahead of Killian now. He walked backwards so he could face the other soldier and talk at the same time, glancing over his shoulder every now and then to make sure he wasn't about to run into something--even though the road was empty as far as the eye could see.

"That's lucky. My family's a bunch of bakers, but we mostly sold local so we didn't really travel or nothin'."

Stretching his arms over his head, Faolán beamed a wide grin up at Killian. Any nerves he might have had over the idea of bandits and monsters and being alone out here was quickly evaporating under his partner's smile; since he looked relaxed, there was no real reason for him to be nervous.

"Do ya miss home, Killian?" he asked, deciding to find out a little more about his partner. Faolán had seen him around, of course, and even done drills with him, but come to think of it they hadn't really gotten a chance to talk. And since they were going to be together for quite some time, seemed like a good chance to correct that!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Killian smiled warmly at Faolán.
"Yes, at times, I do." He stared up at the sky, still smiling before glancing back over at his partner. "We had so many acres of trees that, even on quiet, windless days like this, you could still smell the sweetness of the apples in the air. But then again, working with apples all day, you eventually ended up smelling like them." he gave a laugh, recalling that even the soap they used had been fragranced with apples.. "But man, what I wouldn't give for some of my mother's home made apple bread." He shook his head, rubbed his belly and was still smiling at that but then turned his blue yes back to Faolán.
"What sort of things did your family bake? Were you into pastries and things, or just breads?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

"That don't seem like a bad thing to smell like," Faolán said with a bright grin. "I wouldn't mind smelling like apples. Though I guess you'd probably get sick of it after long if that was like all the time," he added, lips pursed in thought.

"My family, oh, we just did breads, mostly, but sometimes savory fritters and pies if there was time. Didn't really have the money for sugar, 'cept as a surprise now and then and holidays, then we'd get a treat! Ma always baked sweetbread and honey loaves for All Soul's Night--it was the best! Though your apple bread sounds pretty amazing..."

He trailed off with a dreamy sigh, the thought of sweets making his stomach rumble and sweet tooth ache.

"If we're ever by your town, we'll have to pay that bread a visit! Well, and your family, too, of course," he with a teasing wink.

visualspice

Killian smiled. He was glad he got assigned with someone his age, and someone like Faolán. He seemed like a nice boy- much like himself, so it made the journey all the more enjoyable.

"Well, I hope we won't ever be stationed by my home. As soldiers, it can't be a good sign for us to carry out missions so close to home. I'd be too afraid that us being assigned near there would mean my family is in danger." he shook his head. "Though it's a small little town, so nothing exciting ever happens around there. Except well.. the usual festivals." He thought with a whimsical smile. "And I doubt we'll ever get a chance to, but if we're near enough at some point when they let us go on break, perhaps I can have you over. THe bread really is amazing. Maybe my mother could even share her recipe and you could sell some in your shop."

Rhindeer

"Oh." Faolán have Killian a startled look. He hadn't thought about that, about the fact that carrying out a mission near home generally meant bad things for your home. He quickly corrected himself.

"Well, in that case, yeah, let's go with what you said!" he said with a grin. "If we're close enough, here's hoping we can visit! Your ma, though, think she'd part with the recipe?" He laughed. "I know mine can be awful particular about her recipes! I think she's afraid someone'll take it and go off to serve a king with 'em and get all rich while she'll be left scrapin' by--and get blamed for theft in the end! It's awful risky, ya see, being a baker."

Faolán paused, then let out another laugh. "That's an exaggeration, of course, but ya get what I mean. Anyway, I'd love to meet your folks!"

visualspice

Killian gave a gentle laugh.
"I wonder if a baker's life is more dangerous than a soldier's," he mused over the joke, then laughed easily again as they continued to walk, he, momentarily forgetting their purpose to be scouting and securing the road.
"And I don't think my mother would mind sharing the recipe. What good would it do for just our family to enjoy it and not any others? And who knows," he gave a shrug. "It could be a business proposition- your family buys our apples and your family bakes the bread. Seems like a win-win situation to me. And who knows, you might actually make money out of it!" And he laughed easily again.

Rhindeer

Faolán laughed. "Lookit ya! Playin' match-maker with our families!" he said, then let out a yelp when his heel hit a rock and he stumbled.

He caught himself and decided it was time to turn around instead of walking backwards, and he fell into stride with Killian and continued on like nothing had happened, hoping he hadn't noticed. "Don't sound like a half bad idea, though! If your parents end up liking it, I'm sure mine would, too! Both sides get what they want, everyone's happy, and both sides can get more famous and stuff!"

He frowned, a sudden thought hitting him through the cheer. "Course, may be a while 'fore I can see my folks again...things are a bit strained at the moment."

visualspice

Killian smiled at the idea of fame, pretending to not notice Faolán's stumble.
"Well, it would be a rather interesting story behind it, if the bread were to become famous. To think, an idea could come to fruition from a pair of soldiers," Killian said with a grin. But then flattened his expression and nodded sagely when Faolán commented about the way things were.

"Yes, it's unfortunate we live in a time where our own Grand Duke was murdered." He frowned, thinking over it. "I don't think I could have ever imagined such a thing could ever happen. Especially in Connlaoth. It's just baffling, and a bit irksome that there are rumors stating the mordecai's power might be waning, and they blame it on a possibly rise in the mage population." He shook his head. "I'm not sure how much of that is true, er.. as I've really never fully understood what a mage really was but.. well, it doesn't sound like a good thing at all."

Rhindeer

Faolán blinked in surprise as he looked over sat Killian. That hadn't been what he meant when he mentioned things being strained, but he welcomed the misunderstanding and subject change it brought. It was less awkward--and less guilt-inducing--than the other.

He smiled. "Oh, mages? They're like witches!" he explained with a wave of his hand. "Why, where I com from, there was a forest everyone said was haunted by an old witch got hanged locally way back when. Ya could hear odd noises coming from it every now and then, a strange howling."

He laughed. "Some folks said it was just the wind, but...ya never know. Anyway, that old witch? She turned people into animals and ate them! Uhm..." With a sheepish grin, he looked away. "Caught a rabbit there once but couldn't keep it. It just looked at me, and those stories, and just...I dunno...kinda silly, but I got to wonderin', how can ya tell the difference between an animal and a person-animal?"

visualspice

Killian thought the story over. Though it was superstitious, he was a bit superstitious himself, and very naive towards the idea of magic.
"I don't know." And trully he didn't and the idea that that could happen certainly bothered him. Did mages really posses that sort of power? He shuddered to think about turning into an animal and being eaten. That seemed like a rotten fate.
"Though it's all just stories, right?" he said, hoping the other boy would agree, though by now the winds had picked up, drawing his eyes out towards the wilderness, an easiness showing within his eyes.

Rhindeer

The winds picked up, and Faolán shivered and drew closer to Killian. That was uncanny timing, and it made him a bit uneasy, especially as the wind whistled through nearby trees.

He rubbed at his arms. "Stories come from somewhere," he said, looking up at Killian. "I've  heard other ones, scary ones, of mages calling fire from the sky and burning villages to the ground. Awful stuff. If they can call fire, what's stopping them from turning people into pigs and rabbits?"

With a shudder, he looked away and added, "All I know is, I know what I saw. I got a big ol' scar on my leg now from somethin' that was in the woods, and it was no creature I ever heard of. They say magic...twists things. It sure looked twisted."

visualspice

Killian drew in a breath and held it, his eyes still scanning the tall grasses that swayed in a secondary wind, though one that was far less ominous than the last.

"Yeah, at least there aren't many woods around here. Just some scatterings of trees out here in the plains." he held a hand up to his eyes, shielding them from the sun as she stared down the way. Though forests held many creatures... the tall stretches of grass lands were bound to have their own share of animals and beasts.

He turned to Faolán.
"Are you sure you didn't recognize it?" He certainly wouldn't like having run into some creature he knew not what it was. He supposed buzzards and bats and boards and the likes might roam this sorts of hillside, but even still...
He adjusted the weight of his equipment, already finding himself sweating beneath his armor as he wipe a hand at his brow.

"Do you recall how long they said this journey would be?" he stared back at the supply pack on his back. "Hopefully we've got enough supplies."

Rhindeer

Faolán shook his head. "I'm telling ya, it was like nothing I'd ever seen before, or even heard of. It was way bigger than a grown man, with huge teeth and claws and stank horribly." He shuddered again at the memory. "It hardly reacted at all when I stabbed it. Leon, my scouting partner at the time, said the forest was a spelled wood."

This subject was getting uncomfortable, though, and was leaving him feeling nervous and vulnerable with so much wide open space around them. But at least they could actually see all around them, except for whatever was lurking in the tall grass. He was happy for the subject change.

"Umm...not sure," he admitted sheepishly. He adjusted his pack. "But I'm sure we'll be fine! If not, we can always hunt things! Er, from woods that aren't haunted, I mean. Or maybe find villages along the way and resupply!" He smiled up at Killian. "They wouldn't pick us if they didn't think we could handle it, right? Oh! Hey! Look! Our first obstacle!"

Grinning, Faolán darted ahead of Killian, running a bit up the road where a thin tree had fallen across the path. Setting his pack aside on the road, he bent to try and lift it. "Hurry up, Killian! Help me move this!" And then, with a laugh, he added, "For the Grand Duke!"

visualspice

Killian laughed, a clear sound that rung across the air and followed after Faolán, dropping his own pack aside. He observed the tree for a minute with some stipulation.
"I'm not sure we'll be able to lift it, but we might as well try. If not, we could chop it out of the way with our hatchets." And he turned to Faolán. "On three?"

Rhindeer

Faolán nodded and got his hands under the tree, making a face as they got all sticky with sap. Ew. "No harm in trying! Just gotta put some muscle into it!" he laughed, which meant they would be doomed. His muscle was still depressingly sparse.

He took a deep breath and squatted down, remembering to use his legs instead of his back. "Alright! On three! One...two...three!" And then, with a grunt, he strained against it.

visualspice

Killian gave a grunt as the pair tried to lift it, and felt it giving, only somewhat before his muscles began to strain. He halted, panted then wiped at his brow.
"I think, if we get a better hold on it, we might have a better chance," he said between breaths. And he re positioned his arms and nodded over to Faolan. "On six?" he said with a smirk. "One.. two...."

Rhindeer

Panting, Faolán nodded and gave a light laugh. "C'mon, Killian! We've got a long journey ahead! Let's not let a tree defeat us so soon!"

With a deep breath, he counted up with Killian. "Four...five...six!"

He readjusted his grip and lifted, straining and huffing, and after a moment he had to give up and let it thump back down.  Exhaling in a whoosh, he flopped onto the ground and leaned his back against it to catch his breath.

"...I like your hatchet idea."

visualspice

Out of breath and laughing, Killian nodded in agreement.
"Alright then, seems this will be our first real duty with weapons," he playfully lamented with a roll o fhis eyes. Moving to his pack of supplies, he slipped the hatchet out and went to work, grunting as he swung the blade into the log. Thankfully it wasn't too thick, but the tree had been rather tall,a nd al of the weight was in it's length, rather than girth, and the pair of them had their work cut out for them. They'd need to cut it into four sections to properly move it aside, and once that was completed, Killian wiped the back of his gloved hand against his sweaty brow.

"Phew, well.. now that that's taken care of, perhaps we should make a report? Or do you think clearing a tree from the path isn't so important?" ANd he used his gloves to wipe more sweat from his face, smearin ga bit of wood chippings that now stuck to his cheek.