Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

One Way Streets

Started by visualspice, January 05, 2016, 03:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: This thread is open by request. If interested, please PM me. Thanks!

Thaedes was a city she could get used to. It was much bigger than her last home, which was not much more than a lean too in the woods. She hadn't really preferred living in the wilderness, feeling lonely to be surrounded by so many trees and so little buildings.. and well, people. People always intrigued her, the way they spoke, how they spoke, what they spoke of, what they were doing, how they were doing it...
And the stories. She could listen to other people's conversations for hours. Their voices were a humbling thing, and though consequentially, the recently decimated city of Thaedes lacked in the human population, it still held an abundance of opportunities- or so she kept telling herself, night after night, into the silence.

It seemed not many squatters or scavengers dared to take refuge here, even with so many prime targets to steal from. It was the idea this place was cursed, or on some sort of a 'watch' from the Grand Duke, or his General, or whatever it was people did in the army with this war and had some sort of power. She wasn't familiar with how this all quite worked. She could only assume the Grand Duke was this enormous person who had a lot of money and had to be charismatic and loved by a lot of people to have so many fight in his name.

But this only added on to her naivety. Sure, she heard the right story about the Grand Duke, and other nobles and other war conquests, but because of just who she was...
Vels took the seed of knowledge and made her own tree of it. Had anyone actually heard her side of the history of Connlaoth or its politics or why the war was even happening, they'd probably lock her away- for her theories weren't exactly realistic, and her visions of Ansgar? Let's say she had never quite grasped who he was and what he did. She just knew you could pray to him and hope your wishes were granted.

It seemed people with money, in her opinion, had better luck with this, so every time she came upon money, she used it to 'wish' and 'pray' for things like she had seen others do. Though her wishes and prayers had never entirely came true, she had heard enough from others to know that 'faith takes time'.

It was that exact mantra she repeated to herself while wondering through the deserted city. She had been here several months and had already began to see a new population of people take homage here. She knew well enough who were the good and bad people, but it was the shades of gray that had her the most wary. She didn't like not knowing things (and there was still a lot she truly didn't know!), so when she climbed over the collapsed wall by the Eastern Gate and landed in what she had presumed to be an empty allyway, she was a bit startled when a pack of gruff looking men turned her way.

From their appearance she could only deduce they were either war veterans, or just your typical set of rough collared men she'd rather not stick around to learn more about. But before she could consider a means to escape, one of the men called out to her.

"Hey, girl, what do you think you're doing here?"

And though uncertain if they were a harmful bunch or not (as again, these were men she hadn't known nor had time to study), she found herself mute from hesitation, but when the man asked her again,

"What, you deaf or something, girl?"

She felt anger rise up from her belly as the words just came out, "I'm just walking through!"

And from such a haughty reply for something so minuscule, the men laughed.

"Girl, how long have you been here? You should know better than to walk the streets alone in a cursed city."

At such a claim, she squared off her shoulders and continued to glare, cheeks turning pink.

"I know how to handle myself! Do you? Cursed cities don't scare me!"

The men laughed again.

"Maybe you've got a point there. Curses don't have anything on thugs. Do you know what thugs are?" the man asked, giving a more devious grin as his men began to fan around him. Their shadows, though shallow, were deep and dark in collar.

Vels narrowed her eyes.

"I heard they're real ugly and mean."

At her reply, the men were still laughing.

"You got that right, though I think we're quite pretty, don't you agree?" the leader asked back to one of his men. "Perhaps we should teach this little street rat some manners." And as they began to approach, Vels could see the shine of metal knives and other blades slip out from their pockets. Not having much on her but the pole she had used to vault up onto the crumbling wall, she held it up infront of herself defensively.

"Stay back, I'm warning you."

"What? You aiming to do something with that stick of yours, little girl?"

And it was about this time she wished she had looked both ways before jumping from her perch on the wall. She had been careful with every decision and action she ever made up to this point- and now she had to wonder just how she'd get out of this mess. There were six men to one.
Odds hardly seemed in her favor.

However, six men fell to the floor, some with less teeth, and a few other with nice plump, black eyes. Though not all men had been taken out when Vels went about,s winging her long pole with blind violence, it was enough to get her hte break she needed. Without another thought, she sprinted down the alley away from those men and hoped to whatever Gods existed they didn't follow.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Saber-Five

Unfortunately, for Vels, though she had given a good number of the thugs a good beating, half of them(three) were quick to pursue her through the alleys and were followed by the reminder soon after. For the next few minutes this continued until they all reached a dead end, in the form of a two houses worth of rubble in the street. Vels will see she was bottleneck in front and the crooks behind her who won't make the same mistake of underestimating her twice.

With their knives at the ready they approached like confident yet enraged predators, preparing to torture their new prey however they see fit. Yet none of the gang or Vels realized they were being watched from the shadows. Suddenly an eerily smoke like mist filled the street they were in. It covered up everyone's vision for a minute before it slighty faded, revealing a new figure that stood between Vels and the thugs.

Clearly it was a man wearing dark and gray leather armor, gloves, and huntsman boots. His face was covered in a sliver plated knight's mask with a hood over its top. Draped over the shoulders was a torn beggar's cape. All present can clearly seen this masked man was armed with two one handed swords, short in length but longer than daggers.

"Pray tell, what business do men like you have need to harm a girl?"

Nemesis finally asked in a harsh voice filled with judgment.

visualspice

Heart pounding inside her ears, she was trapped. She felt her stomach drop as she clenched her jaw, and gripped her make shift weapon tightly. She held it out defensively and narrowed her gaze on the men.

"Don't come any closer!" she warned, but as the men laughed it off, the sudden mist had them all off guard. Panicked, Vels looked to the mist, then to the men, and dropped out of their sight, hoping to use their tactics against them (as she presumed the men who had chased her conjured up this sort of magic to fight dirty).

However, she hadn't gotten far when the mist cleared and the masked man stood before them. All the girl could do was stare, mouth agape. His words hadn't fully registered nor who they were spoken for, but she was not about to let her guard down.

She pointed her pole in the new man's direction offensively and demanded, "I could ask you the same for following me!"

The men, however, weren't deterred by the woman's bravery nor the sudden appearance of this strange, masked man. But they changed their attention to Nemesis for the moment and one sneered,
"And what the fuck do you care?"

The men looked him up and down.

"What, you some kind of soldier looking for a piece of action around here, cause you got another thing comin'!" barked one of the other men.

"Soldiers ain't welcome here." said another.

"Thaedes and it's trash is best left to us,"  replied the first man,a nd it was only then that Vels noticed the scar going across this bald man's head. She grit her teeth and turned away from him and returned her attention to examining Nemesis's attire. The thugs had pointed something out important, and if he was a soldier, or any sort of lawful authority for the Grand Duke...
She'd rather not be apart of this catastrophe waiting to happen- but it seemed she was stuck between a rock and a hard place, and she kept her ground between the group of men- and this strange, mist conjuring masked man.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Saber-Five

Predicable Nemesis thought upon taking in all of their reactions. The girl he was trying to save saw him as a unknown threat and these cutthroats mistaken him for a soldier.

"Hmph. You're all mistaken. I am no bootlicker to the Grand Duke or his ink." He answered with barely veiled disgust before continuing.

"Your hands are stain with the blood of the innocent who still linger in these ruins. I am only here to avenge their suffering."

Swiftly, he rushed forward with cat-like speed, cutting off the head of the leader with the body falling backward. Then another thug on the left had his throat sliced with blood gushing out and falling face down. Finally the rest of the gang were able to react and all attack the masked man together. Yet he parry and dodge their assaults repeatedly, as if their movements slow to him.

visualspice

Fear kept her into place, even as all instincts inside her brain were telling her to run. And that same, repeating screaming command kept pounding away inside her head until when Nemesis was facing the last set of men, she finally found some strength to move, and whirled around at the toppled buildings, and began to scramble up onto the rubble. It was hard work, and a lot of the rubble was crumbling beneath her, but the last thing she wanted to be was dead-
And as far as she was concerned, no one on that street was a friend.

Saber-Five

A minute later, there were three more men cut down and the last man on his knees, screaming in complete agony having his right arm chopped off. To end his suffering, Nemesis run him through the chest with his left blade. Then the viglnate remembered the girl! He hoped she escaped but when turning around to his concealed horror, saw her climbing the rubble at her peril.

If she had flee by the way of the street, he wouldn't follow but Vels was at risk of being crushed by the unstable stones. Killing a bunch of goons wasn't worth the price of this youth dying. Sheathing his swords, Nemesis went up, after Vels to save her.

"Stop! I won't harm you, swear by Ansgar."

visualspice

At the sound of his voice, she gasped and turned around, an dlooked from him to the pile of men left in bloodied heaps. She didn't even reply to his calls, she simply turned away from him and climbed faster.

Saber-Five

Even from the distance, Nemesis can clearly see that the young girl was afraid of him. I was trying to save her. He told himself, but in his heart, Nemeisis knew that Vels only saw the killer, not but the rescuer.

"Don't throw your life away like this. You can come down and run away, I'll leave you alone." He called out in earnest once close enough for her to hear more accurately. Due to all of the movement, the topside of the rubble started to collapse and began pouring down in their direction.

visualspice

Seeing a large pile of rubble begin to fall their way, Vels thought quick and pressed herself up against a recess in the stonework, however, the rubble came down anyways, sharp rock and dust rushing their way and making it impossible to see or breath. The rocks were painful, scraping against her body as they came down and making it harder for her to hold on. She had climbed a good ways up, and if she lost her grip now- she knew she wouldn't be any better off than those men laying dead int he street.

Saber-Five

Like Vels, the masked crusader took cover in his current postion that offered more proection. as the derbies fell in a great pile. Parts of his clothes were cut and torn but he stayed put, enduring the pain.

I won't forgive myself if she dies like this.

When the pile finally stopped, Nemesis looked up and saw Vels who was holding for dear life a few feet above him. Just as he was about breathed a sigh of relief, when the stones Vels held gave way. She began to slid down seemly to her death but with one arm viglante caught one of her hands in time. Then with all his strength Nemesis pulled her up to the left side with enough space between.

Panting heavily, he commented.

"You don't trust me, I understand. Just wait till we go back down and I'll be out of your hair. Deal?"

visualspice

She let out a scream as she fell, but it was swallowed up as she was caught and pulled up beside none other than the masked man. Her eyes were wide with fright, uncertain just what was going on, and before she could think, she tried shoving the masked man away.

Saber-Five

When shoved, Nemesis stood his ground and her grabbed her hands firmly. Seeing the sheer fear in her expression, he shook his covered head in resignation and spoke.

"Listen to me, girl. If I meant harm, I would've let you fall moments ago." He let those latter words sink in before adding.

"You want to stay alive long enough to flee follow me down. Staying here or going up isn't an option for either of us."

visualspice

Vels just stared at him, still wide eyed with fear but found herself only able to nod. She was at least able to register enough to know she ought to listen to him, but a sudden clap of thunder over head had her gasping, and involuntarily moving closer to his form.

Saber-Five

Nemesis let her take hold of him, upon a thunder's roar. He calmly told her eveythting was going to be okay, like a parent would. The thought distracted him with hidden sorrow but he forced out for the time being.

"Hold on tight to my back." He said quietly and once she did, he carefully proceeded downward. It took several cautious minutes before it was safe enoug to slid to the ground. Upon landing, Nemesis let go of Vels before asking.

"Are you injured?"

visualspice

Once on the road, she was quick to take a step back from him. She looked him over warily, but at his question,s he looked down at herself as the pair began to get soaked by rain. The cuts burned, even with the cooling affects of the rain.
"Injured?" She shook her head. "No more than you."
It seemed he got scraped up from the rubble, too.

Saber-Five

Nodding in acknowledgment, Nemesis felt the slight stinging effect of the new cuts over his upper body. This was noting compare to the great fire that once consumed his skin, he reminded himself... With that out of the way, Nemesis focused back on the bodies that still laid nearby.

As detestable the men had been in life and no doubt currently, in death, he needed to check for possible clues on their corpses. Nemesis was looking links for similar gangs in ruined Thadeus, this bunch likely weren't only ones that lurked in this dead city after all. Just like rats, there is always more.

"You may go now, as you wish girl." He commented while the rain slighty increased in volume. Then Nemesis began searching the bodies one by one.

visualspice

Vels held her breath. She tensed, fully prepared to run, but her mind raced over the thought of going through the bodies. She was a scavenger and anything she found was  an aid to her survival. Seeing how he was looting one body, she moved behind him to another one, and worked as quietly and quickly as she could, keeping her eye on Nemesis and hoping there'd be at least something of value on one of the corpses she got a chance to check.

Saber-Five

He finally found something from the third body, he searched. It seem to be a little hand drawn map of the city in its current condition. On the map were spots displayed as hideouts for fellow brigands in Thadeus. While pleased with the success of his objective, Nemeisis took sutble note of Vels looting the dead.

No doubt she had stolen and salvage as she can manage. While Nemesis was a vigilante, he didn't go after young pickpockets who stole to survive. His targets were those he considered corrupt oppressors and murderous zealots. The amusing thing for Nemesis is that some people who knew of his exploits may think of him in that latter view.

"Take what you want, I have no other interest in whatever they may have on them."

He was about to leave when Nemesis stopped himself. As much he felt the need to keep fighting, the masked man told himself he needed to stop talk with those he fought for. He seriously doubted the Grand Duke ever considered speaking with his common subjects

"What's your name?"

visualspice

Vels froze, sill crouched over the first body she was finishing looting when he spoke. Not sure of what to say, she remained quiet. That was until he asked her her name.

"My name?"

A strange question to ask, to be sure, but she still said nothing, staring at him cautiously as the rain continued to pelt the ground. She looked away, just long enough to move over to the next body that was untouched and began to look for more valuables.

Saber-Five

It's obvious that the girl was still mistrusting and afraid of him. Well the fact he killed six men in an violent matter and wore a mask would make anybody wary. He wasn't seeking graidtude or praise for his actions, but he needed to maintain the connection to the people or else lose what's left of his humanity.

"That's okay you don't need to tell me. I will give you mine though...Nemesis." He said while making his final preparations to leave.

He imagine that name would sound strange to the girl.