Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Elphyda's Wants and Limits

Started by Elphyda, August 07, 2018, 08:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elphyda

PLAYER WANTS

What are your favorite kinds of plots and relationships to play?
I've always had a deep affection for plots that had deep or long-lasting situations, bringing a single role play's story to drag out for as long as multiple years to fully finish the arc of what's going on.  I've always had a bit of a weakness for Romance as a subject, so relationships are a bit of an easy way to get my interested in a specific role play, though the best way would also have the deep and well thought plot.

What are your least favorite kinds of plots and relationships to play?
I don't really like playing overly simple or one-tracked plots that focus around things like the relationship of two specific characters/a character and an NPC/etc.  I like a story having depth, and if that's all there is the story has to offer, I'll avoid it entirely.  There are some triggers that make me generally extremely uncomfortable as well, but they only pop up at times as I'm trying to push past them to further enhance my role playing ability.

What are your favorite character types to play?
I love variety in my characters, usually making them either the bare basic stereotypes for the region or something so far out that I sometimes question how they're linked to that area or even world (if I don't write out their backstory, which I'm glad there's a section for that on these forums ♥).  I thoroughly enjoy playing the types of characters that develop over time, or hellp me develop over time as they wade through problem after problem after barrier after barrier until they get to where they should be in the end of their personal arc — may that be achieving their goals, dying, or other less specific means.

Are you a planner or a pantser? Do you prefer to pre-plan and stick to a script when posting, or do you prefer to surprise and be surprised?
I am personally a bit of a planner and a pantser, but I have a stronger lean toward pantsing more, as I enjoy the unknown of what could be next.  Sticking to a script feels a bit forced for me, and I feel I'd be better off where me and the other(s) just don't know what will happen next; what their character will do, what will happen with what they want, what goals can change over time, etc.  I let my characters seem as alive as possible, letting them make "their own decisions" as I just type out what happens with little intervention.  Doing this leads me to have those moments where you sit around with your body tingling with the desire to just know what's going to happen next — a kind of desire I've grown nearly addicted to over the years as a role player.

How do you feel about group threads?
I LOVE group threads.  It gives so much more room for each and every person to hold that anticipation and excitement, and once the general posting order is situated I can feel it would make an even fuller story, since there's more than a mere two minds sitting on the subject.

How often can you reply to any given thread? How long should a partner wait before nudging you for a post?
I'm a touch unstable, personal problems causing me to be a bit.... sporadic.  Due to this, I can sometimes post several times in a single day while other times need about a week or even longer to post even once.  I deeply apologise in advance for this, as I'm trying to get better with this.  However, if I don't reply to something in over a week and I haven't said why, it should be okay to poke me and just see if all is good

What is the longest you're willing to wait for a reply to a thread?
Months.  Plural.  I am scarily patient when it comes to awaiting a reply.  However, if you do take that long to reply, please poke me to let me know you did as I might genuinely forget that the role play even exists by that point — it's happened before.

How do you feel about instant messenger RP?
I've done it, but I feel I can't keep up and it puts an unnecessary pressure on me.  I prefer forum role playing better, unless it's something like a deliberate one-off ERP.

Ho do you feel about post volleying/rapidfire RP?
I've done role plays that accidentally became two-person role plays due to my bad volleying habits.  If you need me to slow down, please let me know.

What's your preferred posting style? Long posts? Short posts? Anything and everything?
I love imagery.  Long posts that can give me a vivid picture of what's going on around me is a truly special thing, and I do my best to provide the same for others.  However, if the situation is static, I understand that posts can be as short as one or two sentences, though I'd prefer to have a minimum of at least one paragraph (4-8 sentences).

Any RP styles/habits that you love?
As said earlier, imagery and deeper/longer arcs of story are big weaknesses of mine, letting me thoroughly enjoy the role play to its fullest and having a sense of pride mixed with melancholy afterward when it's done — similar to when you finish a really good book or television show. 

Any RP styles/habits that you avoid?
I genuinely despise when a role play is too active — when each and every post I have to read is several paragraphs long due to an ever-changing atmosphere when the characters have just been standing dormant for the past six posts.  It makes me feel like my character should be on Acid or another hallucinogen for the world to be that unnecessarily active.  Now, this isn't to say that I always hate it; it's really great in the right places (such as a war zone, a festival, etc).  But if you're just standing in the park having a chat about ice cream, the whole world shouldn't be giving an entire song and dance in every single post.

Another thing that gets to me, based on that statement, is circular posting.  I don't see a need for every single post to say the same thing is happening.  If you write that the grass is gently swaying in the Autumn breeze, cool!  If you say it in every single post for a span of two pages, not cool.  Having to read things like that ties my mind in knots as I feel each post has something new in it to put forward — description, thought, action, etc.  If you write the same thing in two posts back-to-back, I'll have to go back and read the last post again to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, and then grow irritated that I had to take the time to do that.

The one thing that peeves me the most, however, is when control of my characters, creations, or general bubble is taken away from me.  I can understand if you post that my character might feel something every here and there, to give me a hint as to what you want to happen next, but if you do it every single post, or even go as far as to force my character to do it for me, then you're just writing a book at that point and I do not want to be part of it.  I like my submissions to have a state of being where I could look at it and feel that it was a good contribution to a story's arc, rather than disappointingly fulfilling the implied demands of the other role player.  This especially bothers me when they force my character(s) to do things they normally wouldn't, too.  I've had to deal with this specific bit for much longer than I really even want to mention.   I loathe this.

PLAYER LIMITS

What are you limits regarding powerplay/godmoding?
Powerplay can be okay at times, but only when it's ensured that I really couldn't do anything to fight back.  For example, if my character is paralysed, or extremely weakened due to something/someone and another character just... picks me up and throws me, I really wouldn't mind that, so long as it drove the story however.  Anything beyond that, and refer to the last paragraph of my "Avoided RP Styles" section.

What are your limits in regards to romantic situations?
I am open to nearly anything and everything in terms of romance.  My character may not, but I definitely am.  Just like any other situation, I would let my character play it out on their own, forming relationships and breaking them at their own volition.  I hope whatever my character(s) does/do in the role play does not irritate or upset the role player, however, as I'm just handing the control of my character's life to the character, and don't really filter what they do all that much.  Or, at least, that's how I imagine my role playing style to be.

What are your limits with regards to graphic content such as sex, violence, drug use, sexual assault, etc? What is your comfort level?
I'm open to nearly anything!  I feel that negative things are just as real as positive things, so I shouldn't really shy away from them as they could really happen in real life at any point.  I feel my character shouldn't have a special pass away from that.  How-ever, I find great loss in enjoyment when such things are the focus of a role play or character arc, as... while it is a common occurrence for negative things like sexual assault to happen repeatedly in the real world, people won't just go back after periods of freedom from the torment.  That's the quickest way for them to be caught and apprehended.  They either stay there for a prolonged time, or do it once and just go.  I feel it should be the same in a role play, as, while the world may be different, mentality still is at least somewhat the same.

What are your limits in regards to pregnancy within plots?
Honestly, that falls into ERP territory for me more often than not, but I'm still okay with it in a normal role play, so long as it's not the focus.  I want to enjoy the story, not be constantly reminded that my character is/got another pregnant.

What about healing?
Personally, I feel that healing magics can recover a lot, but even master wizards can't make you regrow a limb in moments without excruciating pain.  I feel that once a limb is lost, it's gone forever.  This world has an exception to this rule, as they have a magic that can shift flesh and bone and stuff around.  I feel if a primal magic is used to re-attach the limb, then life magic will be able to heal it up again.  However, I also feel that recreating a bond of muscle tissue that was amputated would mean that the muscle had zero muscle memory whatsoever, and as such the client would have to see physical therapy to not only move their arm again, but also give it the strength(s) it once had.

What about characters being transformed against their will?
Refer to my Powerplay limits; they're basically the same.

Anything else?
I'm very, very open to adapting to new subjects and situations.  If you want to try something with me, or feel you need more clarification on anything I wrote, or feel this falls inaccurate as I grow to like something new and completely forget that this exists (which will happen sooner or later), just shoot me a message and talk to me about it; I'd love to see new points of view.