Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On the Strangest Tides, Skies are Grey [M]@MorningStar

Started by wandering_giraffe, January 31, 2024, 02:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wandering_giraffe

"Kkärsvig asked me the same thing," she mused, not happy about being shook out of her thoughts.
"Honestly, I don't know," she admitted.
"Maybe I should have killed you." She turned and got really close to him.
"What were you doing on my ship anyway, Kael?" She asked, her voice having a dangerously cold edge to it.

MorningStar

Kael met her gaze, his expression serious yet tinged with a hint of playfulness. "Ah, Captain, first to steal your treasure, then to steal your heart," he replied, his voice smooth and laced with charm. "But rest assured, my intentions are nothing if not adventurous... and perhaps a tad mischievous." He offered her a sly grin, hoping to defuse the tension with a touch of humor. "So, is it working?" he then asked, his finger tracing her cheek with an affectionate ease.

wandering_giraffe

"Maybe another night in the brig would do you some good," she threatened, still very much unamused.
She very quickly grabbed his wrist and pushed him against the rail.
"No, I'm afraid not."

MorningStar

Kael's heart raced as Elara's grip tightened around his wrist, her strength surprising him. He could feel the hard, unforgiving surface of the rail against his back as she pressed him against it, her proximity sending a shiver down his spine. Despite the threat in her words and the seriousness in her demeanor, he was still wildly attracted to her.

He met her gaze with a mixture of defiance and intrigue, a playful glint dancing in his eyes. "I suppose a night in the brig could be considered a romantic gesture in some circles," he quipped, attempting to lighten the mood even in the face of danger. "And I must confess, Captain, I love a woman who can kick my ass."

wandering_giraffe

"Don't tempt me," she warned, letting go of him and turning and walking away.

Despite her outward demeanor, there was a slight smile playing on her lips.

MorningStar

As the cool night air caressed his skin, Kael couldn't help but let a small smile dance across his lips. Elara's departure had left him with a mixture of feelings - a sense of longing, a hint of frustration, but also a thrill of anticipation for what lay ahead. He leaned against the railing, relishing in the peaceful solitude for a moment longer before returning to the lively atmosphere of the tavern.

However, before he could take a single step, a figure emerged from the shadows, stumbling slightly in their drunken stupor. Kael's smile faltered as he recognized one of the crew members, a glint of suspicion in their eyes. Before he could react, the crew member lunged forward, pressing a blade against Kael's neck with unsteady hands.

"What's your game, Kael?" they slurred, their breath heavy with ale. "Are you with us or against us? Don't think we haven't noticed your little rendezvous with the captain."

Kael's heart raced as he felt the cold steel against his skin, his mind racing for a way to defuse the situation. He raised his hands slowly in a gesture of surrender, his eyes meeting the crew member's with a mix of calm and determination.

"Easy there, friend," he said evenly, his voice steady despite the adrenaline coursing through his veins. "I'm with you all the way. Just enjoying the night air, that's all. No need for any trouble."

wandering_giraffe

Elara hadn't left, merely leaning against the ship's main mast, watching the situation unfold with muted interest, arms folded. She wondered how far the drunken crew mate would go.
She normally didn't interfere, letting her crew solve their own issues.
But she didn't like how aggressive this crewmate was being.

Azarion, meanwhile, was watchman for the night and walked over to the drunken crewmate and Kael.

"Oi, mate, be careful. Kael's spoken for, I'm afraid," Azarion said smoothly, pushing the drunken crewmate back and taking his knife.
"Go cool off, and maybe come back sober, yeah?"

MorningStar

Kael exhaled in relief as Azarion intervened, his tense muscles relaxing slightly at the sight of the drunken man being guided away. "Thanks," he muttered gratefully, nodding to Azarion as the man took control of the situation with ease.

As Azarion deftly disarmed the crewmate and ushered him away, Kael couldn't help but smirk at the man's smooth handling of the situation. "Spoken for, eh?" he quipped, a playful glint in his eye as he glanced back at Azarion.

wandering_giraffe

Azarion, once the drunken man was out of earshot, turned around to Kael.
"I had to say something to get him away," he said, nervously excusing himself.
"I'm on watch duty I gotta go," and he disappeared.
Elara spoke from the shadows.
"It would be best if we dropped you off at the next port. The crew doesn't trust you and frankly, I don't either."

MorningStar

Kael's facade faltered as he leaned against the rail, his expression growing pensive. Folding his arms over his chest, he mulled over Elara's suggestion. Being dropped off would indeed be the safest option, especially considering he had no riches to show for himself. Yet, as he met her gaze, a nagging feeling tugged at him. Had he truly let his guard down enough to entertain the notion that he was... falling for her?

"You're probably right not to trust me," he admitted, his voice tinged with sincerity. Then, after a moment's hesitation, he continued, "But what if I don't want to be dropped off? Keep me in the brig. I'll earn your trust somehow, Elara." As these words slipped through his lips, he realized it was the first time he referred to her as her name, and not just "Captain."

wandering_giraffe

Elara stared at him, honestly unsure of what to do. Something didn't feel right. What was he after?
"Were you with a group beforehand?" She questioned, eyes boring into his.

MorningStar

Elara stared at Kael, her gaze searching for any hint of deception in his eyes. She couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to his story than he was letting on. That much he could tell from looking at her.

Kael hesitated for a moment, weighing his words carefully. He knew he had to tread carefully, revealing just enough to gain her trust without exposing himself entirely.

"Yeah," he admitted, his gaze meeting hers. "I was part of a crew called the Canary Crew. We were... well, we were a group of rogues and thieves, navigating the streets together, looking out for each other."

He paused, a flicker of emotion crossing his features before he continued.

"It wasn't always easy, but they were like family to me. We had each other's backs, you know? And... I learned a lot from them."

As he spoke, memories of his time with the Canary Crew flooded his mind - the camaraderie, the daring heists, the close calls. Despite the risks and the dangers, there was a sense of belonging that he had never felt before.

"But things change," he added softly, his expression turning somber. "Maybe I was always meant to find myself here."

wandering_giraffe

There was something that didn't fit the puzzle, but what it was Elara didn't quite know.
So she decided to trust him. Keep a close eye on him, but trust him.

"I know how that feels," Elara said softly.
"This crew is the closest thing I have to family...ever since my parents died."
She really did care for her crew, even if she didn't always show it.

MorningStar

"This crew is the closest thing I have to family...ever since my parents died."

Kael knew exactly how that felt.

As they stood together under the night sky, Kael took a deep breath, steeling himself to reveal a part of his past he rarely shared with anyone. "My parents died in a shipwreck when I was just a child," he began, his voice a rare shade of sad in that moment. "I was left orphaned and alone, forced to fend for myself on the unforgiving streets of the port city."

He paused, his gaze distant as he recalled the memories of his youth. "Survival wasn't easy," he continued. "I had to steal to put food on the table, to find shelter for the night. It was a harsh life, but it was all I knew."

Kael glanced at Elara, meeting her eyes briefly before continuing. "One day, I made a foolish attempt to steal from my now boss, Rata," he confessed, a rueful smile tugging at his lips. "But instead of punishing me, he saw something in me. He saw potential."

"And so he brought me into the crew," Kael concluded. "It was with the Canary Crew that I found a sense of belonging, a family of sorts. They took me in, taught me the ways of the trade, and I've been with them ever since."

wandering_giraffe

Elara put a comforting hand on Kael's shoulder.
"Well. I'm glad you found a family."
Comfort wasn't Elara's biggest strength.
She cleared her throat, looking off to the horizon.
"Well, I'll be in my quarters if you need me...it's getting late. Get some rest, for the next week or so is going to be hard work."

MorningStar

Kael's heart fluttered at Elara's touch, her words stirring a mixture of conflicting emotions within him. He knew he shouldn't allow himself to get too close to her, but the connection they shared was undeniable. He felt a pang of longing for something more, yet he knew it was better to keep his distance.

With a wry grin, Kael replied in his usual playful manner, masking the turmoil brewing beneath the surface. "Well, I'll be in the brig if you get lonely," he quipped, his tone light despite the weight of his emotions. With that, he turned and walked away, leaving Elara to her thoughts as he retreated to his own "quarters."

wandering_giraffe

Elara sighed. Had she really fallen for this stranger that had snuck onto her ship with every intent of stealing?
Well, once they got to Essyrn, he could take his cut of the money and go back to wherever he came from. On a different ship. That sounded like a good plan.
She made her way back to her quarters, lying down on the bed and staring at the ceiling.
But sleep did not come easily.

MorningStar

Kael lay in his bed within the confines of the brig, the dim glow of the solitary lantern casting eerie shadows across the stone walls. The cell door stood open, a silent invitation to freedom, yet Kael remained still, his mind consumed by thoughts of the captain. He couldn't shake the image of Elara from his mind, her fiery spirit and unwavering determination haunting him even in the dead of night. Despite his best efforts to push her from his thoughts, her presence lingered like a stubborn ghost, leaving him restless and unable to find solace in sleep.

"Screw this," he muttered to himself, standing from the bed.

Kael's mind raced as he crept through the dimly lit corridors of the ship, his steps silent as he made his way to the captain's quarters. He knew he should be focused on finding a way off the ship with his ill-gotten gains, but for some reason, thoughts of Elara consumed him.

As he approached her door, his heart pounded in his chest. What was he doing? He should turn back now, before it was too late. But something drew him forward, an inexplicable pull that he couldn't resist.

With a steady hand, Kael knocked softly on the door, his heart racing as he waited for her response. Would she be angry at him for sneaking into her quarters? Or would she welcome his presence, despite their rocky start?

Only time would tell.

wandering_giraffe

Elara was in the midst of finally drifting off to sleep when a knock sounded on her door, jolting her awake.
She threw back the covers and got out of her bed, walking over to the wooden door.
"Who is it?" She mumbled, and then opened the door anyways.
"Oh..it's you...what do you want?" She asked, her heart kindly choosing that moment to accelerate.