Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Howl of the Wolf, the Howl of the Wind (open)

Started by KingTyrant, February 10, 2016, 04:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingTyrant

Midnight. Midnight was always a strange thing for Leon. The moon so high in the sky, illuminating the forest with its dim light... It caused a certain hunger within the man. A hunger that could only be satisfied by giving in. Turning into the thing that haunted his soul more than anything. At this point in his life, he could control his abilities without struggle. But the cravings... They didn't stop. The want to embrace his wolf side and take out the pent-up rage on somebody never ceased. At least, not at midnight. Not when the moon rested so high in the sky.

Leon laid on his bedroll, looking up at the moon, gritting his teeth and squirming around as he fought off his animalistic urges, trying to force himself to sleep to no avail. He couldn't rest. Not like... This. Although, maybe staying awake was for the best. After all, dangerous creatures resided in the Draconi Forest. Sleep could mean death, if a hungry bear were to stumble upon his camp. Giving up, he sighed, propping himself up on his elbows and staring at his fire. Of course, only embers and charcoal remained now, after burning for such a long time.

He stood slowly, stretching out his arms and legs as he got ready to look for some more firewood. He walked out of the small clearing and into a thicker part of the woods, using his sword to cut off low branches and picking small twigs off the ground. He had no intention of staying in camp when he couldn't sleep. That would just drive him even more mad... The fire was simply to mark where his camp was, so he could explore the woods around him and come back later. Who knew? Maybe it would help him rest so he could travel farther in the morning.

He brought back the collected wood, throwing it on the embers. In no time, a small flame started, then built up into a bright fire. He gave a nod at his work before looking towards the deep, dark woods, grabbing his sword and shield. He slipped the blade into its sheathe on his side, the shield held tightly in his left hand by the leather handle as he began to walk, hoping to see something that would interest him along the way.

JackieCat

The figure passed through the trees like a shadow, dressed in gray and silent as a ghost.  They simply looked like a cloaked traveler passing through the forest, but if one were to look in the travelers stormy gray eyes, they would see much more than a simple traveler.

Healin sensed the flame before they saw its light, and they headed towards it.  Moments later they saw the figure in the shadows.  They didn't stop, but continued towards the flame.  They assumed the figure was the one who had started the fire, but they didn't go towards them.

When Healin got to the fire, they stood next to it, looking in the direction of the figure, they would wait until they returned.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

KingTyrant

Leon had walked for a long time without stopping, watching the black silhouettes of the treetops sway as the wind hit them. Other than the occasional owl that flew from one branch to another and the distant shreaking of bats, there was nothing truly interesting to see this late at night. And thus, he started back to his camp.

Leon's yellow eyes were clearly visible as he approached his camp, his slit pupils growing smaller as the light of the fire hit them. He growled slightly, seeing the cloaked figure standing there. Even though he couldn't make out their face, or even their gender, he still drew his blade, stepping into the small clearing and pointing the tip of the weapon at them. "Mind telling me what you're doing, snooping around my camp?" He asked, loud enough for them to hear, his voice gravely and rough.

JackieCat

Healin held their gloved hands out to their sides. "Snooping?" they said, their voice giving away no clue to their gender. "I am hardly snooping."

They folded their hands behind their back and looked into Leon's bright eyes. "I was traveling and saw your fire, I wondered what you were doing so deep in the forest, though I now see clearly."

The last line made little sense, but Healin did not elaborate, they simply waited for an answer from the heavily armored man before them.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

KingTyrant

Leon's face reflected nothing but confusion. This encounter was just... Bizarre. Not only did he have no idea who this was, but he also had no idea what sex they were, what they looked like, their ethnicity, their species... Hell, he could be talking to a ghost, for all he knew!

"Is that so? Well, go ahead then. Why am I out here, all-knowing one?" He spat questioningly, his grip tightening on his sword. For this person to act like they knew what he was doing out here, act like they knew anything about him whatsoever... It angered and frightened him all at the same time.

Perhaps he was speaking with some ancient ghost... That would explain how much of an enigma their appearence was.

JackieCat

"All knowing?" Healin said, almost scoffing. "Hardly."

They cocked their head to the side, assessing the man before them.

"You are out here because you are afraid, not just of me, but of something else," Healin assessed. "You are clearly some kind of lycanthropic being, and perhaps your fear is of that.  You also seem to be hiding, from what, I have yet to determine."

Then Healin looked back into the other's eyes, stormy gray meeting bright yellow. "I could deduce more, but I assume you would rather have me not."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

KingTyrant

Leon bared his teeth at Healin, growing more and more angry at their words. "Who are you?!" He shouted, shaking with rage. They nailed it all right on the head. He was scared of this person, but also of much more...

He was frightened that he would be found out by more people. He was frightened that he wouldn't be able to control himself, and would kill again. He was out here for both his and others' protection. He was out here in hopes that he would never have to relive those painful years of his adolescence ever again. He held many fears deep within himself, but one fear stood out among the rest.

... He was afraid of himself.

Leon looked up at the moon once again, his heart pounding in his chest and his muscles beginning to bulge as the anger only fueled his transformation, which he tried to hold off. He took deep breaths, now kneeling as he continued to hold onto his sword, stabbing the blade into the soil. "Tell me who you are... How you know all these things." He demanded, still glaring up at Healin.

JackieCat

Healin held out their hands in a placating gesture.

"I do not mean to offend you," they said in a calm voice.  "And who am I and how I know these things about you?  I am a traveler, and I can read people, as well as sense things."

"I am called Healin." The traveler did not give any more information, but simply sat down across the fire from the other man, crossing their legs and looking through the flame at the lycanthropic man on the other side.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arclightning

Well lookie here. Ain't this interesting. These were the kind of thoughts that went through Kavens mind when he went campfire hunting.
Campfire hunting was a fancy way to say 'looking for an ale and maybe a place to sleep if you're lucky whenever you get lost in the woods'.
Fancy words or no Kaven was lost. After stumbling off the main road to throw up an entire bottle of dreg he was disoriented and in a bad mood. He wandered for hours campfire hunting until he stumbled on a merry little gathering of a soldier, judging by the armor and a...a... He wasn't quite sure what the other thing was. After a magnificent entrance consisting of tripping on nothing and almost face planting into the fire he managed to stand up straight. Surprising considering he was very drunk.
He looked around and decided that this was as good a place as any.
"Does either of you object if I sit here for a moment?" He sat down on a nearby stump without waiting for an answer. These young people don't show any respect to him, so why should he give them anything else? "Much obliged" he said before taking a swig from his travel canteen. Full of brandy as per the usual.

KingTyrant

Leon finally calmed himself, moving to a sitting position after sheathing his sword. "Well, Healin... You're quite the talented one, indeed. Seem to have an eye for people, too." He said quietly, deciding not to strain himself too much, now that he had come so close to giving in. "Help yourself to some water?" He held up his flask, full of purified water that he had boiled himself.

His question was interrupted by an audible thud, Leon slowly looking over to see an older man, tripping all over the place before sitting on a stump. Some random drunk, too? What were the odds? "Excuse me? This is my camp buddy, pick yourself up and get the fu-" He started, pointing towards the direction he came from before pausing mid-sentence.

He thought for a moment, his agitated attitude fading as he realized that the drunk probably wouldn't leave without brute force. That was something he couldn't risk... Not with the moon still pestering him tonight. "Just... Forget it. Help yourself, buddy. Don't let me stop you."

Arclightning

Kaven found it amusing how annoyed young people get when you barge in and proceed to mind your own buisness. Young people think they are better than everyone else. Like they are a new species entirely. But when this one just...deflated Kaven was relieved. This one was a fighter, and while Kaven probably couldve won, he would not have come out unscathed. But this one was smart, and Kaven was  relived. He hoisted his canteen in the mans general direction and discreetly kicked his ax behind the stump he was sitting on while taking a long pull of brandy.

Don't be stupid kid. I just want a bed for the night. Thought Kaven. It never hurt to come prepared though.

JackieCat

Healin sighed audibly as the drunk stumbled into view and thudded down on the stump.  They held up a hand when the other man asked if they wanted water.

"No thank you," they said, and then looked over at the interruption that was the drunk.  "and who might you be?" they asked in a voice that clearly stated they hardly wanted to bother right now, and they continued in a tone close to boredom.  "A drunk, I can see, but perhaps a mercenary as well?  Formerly a soldier?  Of high standing, I might add."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arclightning

What the?

Kaven looked at the figure in the robe. It must be very observant. Maybe a constable? But Kaven had never seen a constable quite like this one.
"Well aren't you just the smartest little thing here? If you weren't so damn creepy I would find that funny. But as it is now," Kaven stood up. "Back off." He tried to look through the things hood to get some sort of idea as to what it was, but he found nothing. He looked at the young man to see of he would try anything. He hoped he wouldn't, but the boy had objected to him staying at first, so anything could happen. Kaven took a swig of brandy but didn't swallow. He also slowly took a match out from inside his pocket. If things got rough he could spit some fire and hopefully escape in a timely fashion.

KingTyrant

"I allowed Healin to sit with me. You however, are uninvited." Leon said with a growl, standing and drawing his sword. "Sit and drink your alcohol, before somebody gets hurt." He warned. This man not only had sat down without permission, but his attitude was becoming irritating.

Sure, he liked mead, ale, and whiskey just as much as the next guy, but whoever this guy was had a huge problem. One that frankly pissed Leon off. He walked towards Kaven, a scowl on his face. "Or, you could turn and leave. I don't need trouble from you. Especially considering I get so dangerous at night."

JackieCat

Healin laughed very quietly under their breath, as if to purposely ire someone.  They were having a unusually bad day, usually the traveler showed little to no emotion, and definitely would have acted differently in this situation.

"Why don't you both sit down?" Healin said, their voice the smallest bit condescending. "And then we can communicate in a civilized manner."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arclightning

Well. That wasn't entirely unexpected. Little brats always trying to push him around. He'd seen the worst this world could offer and came back. Not unscathed, but alive. He wouldn't let a little nobleman's son push him around. And even the creepy thing who might not even be human was annoying him. What are you the next prophet? A messiah of peace? Kaven would have said all this out loud, but he had a mouth full of soon to be flame. He turned to the figure in the cloak, spat out the brandy and struck the match.
"I would have your name before you burn. You little waste of life." Kaven, holding the match the whole time, reached down and picked up his ax. It was two feet long, with an ugly pig iron blade. But hey, it split skulls good enough.

JackieCat

"Calm yourself," Healin said, and their before-bored tone now had a razor sharp edge.  "This should not be a violent match, but a talk." The traveler looked back and forth between the two, and their voice grew eerily calm. "There is little to no reason that the two of you should quarrel, sit, and rest, both of you."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

KingTyrant

"Strong words, coming from such a brittle, old fool." Leon hissed, shoving the drunk slightly, his sword still unsheathed. Kaven's lousy attitude continued to anger him, slowly pushing him to violence against the drunk. His yellow eyes were narrowed, reflecting zero fear in spite of Kaven's little fire trick.

He stopped, turning to Healin and giving a soft huff. Even though he wanted to break this idiot's face, there was nothing to gain from it. Sure, it would probably shut him up, but then he'd have to deal with whatever army the guy belonged to. If he even belonged to an army at all. He simply stepped back, sheathing his sword and sitting back down near the fire.

Leon crossed his arms, staring into the flames. "You're lucky I decided to listen to the hooded weirdo. You put on a tough persona, but all you tough guys are the same. All talk, no bite." He spat in annoyance.

Arclightning

Ha! These little buggers think they can beat me? Kaven thought. He  always hoped that the world would be better than the scummy underside he had seen. But no, every day people refuse to give an old failure rest for a night, and little men get a cloak and act all mysterious and expect to be taken seriously. Well, I've seen you're kind before. Kaven thought. I've killed your kind before.
"Were all the same? Don't throw me in with those thick-necked thugs. They would kick your teeth in for a copper. Me, I'm a old soldier just looking for a good way die." he dropped the match on the dry grass by the cloaked figures feet. " And you ain't anywhere near good enough for that, boy." He practically spat out the last word.

JackieCat

Healin was on their feet in an instant, their boot smothering the flame, and a second later the hooded figure was standing in front of the older man, their shrouded face inches from the other man's.

"I have offered you my hospitality," they nearly hissed. "And while this other man has not been welcoming, he had decided to let you stay, yet you drop a match on the dry brush, intent on consuming us in flames.  I am having a very terrible day, and If you were any sort of smart, you would heed my words and either sit your overly confidant self down or get the hell out of here.  I am controlling myself as much as I can, don't push me any further."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor