Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Empty Bellies Make Poor Choices [Zane]

Started by GoblinFae, July 09, 2012, 02:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinFae

"What are you doing back here? Heard of my good fortune on the wind and decided to bother me some more?" Despite her caustic accusations, Ariel was rather surprised to see the creature. She had certainly not forgiven and forgotten what he had done. But, she had mellowed some. Food and shelter did wonders for a person and her attitude.

Her posture was stiff but not nearly as tensed as it had been months before when they had first met. Ariel was a calmer individual now, a full belly made her confident if not a little overly so. Should trouble arise, she believed that she could win against him. Whether that was true or not, was a different story.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Zane

Zane smiled a sad smile, "guess I deserved that, but no. I am merely here to check on the stag, it has been a pretty harsh winter thus far." Zane got up and brushed off his knees. "You are welcome to join me. I'm sure the stag won't mind."

GoblinFae

Ariel eyed him questioningly. "Has it? I would not know. I have had better luck then you I suppose. As for the stag, what has he become your pet now? Surely you cannot believe I am not still sore about that. You robbed me of a large supply of food you know. There was no way of telling that I would come into the wealth that I have. As you've said, it  is very harsh this year."

She stood as well and crossed her arms over chest, feet spread in a stance of strength. "You never told me who you are anyway. Nor have you given me any reason to trust you. Hell I would just be happy to know what you are for a start."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Zane

Zane moved his feet to stand dismissively. "As you saw on that day, the stag is an important creature and needs to be defended. And I would have been happy to help you get on your feet, I even told you were you could find a meal equal to that of the stag, but you made it clear you wanted me to leave. So respecting your wishes, I left."

Zane took a small breath to calm down, maybe she would be less hostile if she had something of true value. Zane took out his spare bowstring, "I noticed last time I was here that you were using a longbow with a twine bowstring. Well this bowstring is made from flax, far stronger then twine. If you will permit me, I would like to give it to you. My name is Zane, and I am a traveling healer, mainly dealing with herbs but my heart is always with the forest." his ears angled themselves at the huntress while he said that.

GoblinFae

She rolled her eyes at his haughty reminder of his desire to help her in the past. 'Magic tricks, nothing more. I'm not that easily-' Her thoughts were brought to a sudden halt though as she caught sight of movement on the stranger's head. 'Ears?'

Her head cocked to the side and a lop-sided grin tugged at her lips. Absentmindedly she took the flaxen string in her hands and wound it loosely around them. "And do all traveling healers have ears and a tail like you Zane?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

"Fortunately, no. As far as I know, I'm the only one. Which is a good thing." Zane grabbed the base of his tail and moved his hand along it, as he often did when someone mentioned his tail or ears.

Zane sensed a movement off to his right. When he looked over in that direction, he smiled. "Well it looks like my quarry has found me" Zane said as the stag walked up to him, pressing it's snout into his cloak. Then it looked over to the huntress and bowed it's head.

"The stag wants to thank you for sparing it's life" the stag seemed to nod it's head.

GoblinFae

"Don't play those games with me Zane. I don't believe in such fairy tales. I may believe in being one of the Wild but, animals don't talk. The only reason he is alive is because of you. My stomach would have dictated a different fate for him if I had had my way and you know that."

Ariel still could not get over his ears and tail. While it was true that she despised humans and had decided to live the rest of her life in the forests as a wild thing, she still could not fathom what exactly she was looking at when she saw Zane. "I don't understand. You are both fox and human in one? Whatever did you do in life to be cursed with such an affliction as humanity?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Zane started checking over the stag, making sure it was healthy, mulling over what the huntress was saying. "My being is not a curse, if anything, it is a blessing. I can do things that neither human nor animal can do. Like for one I can communicate with both humans and animals. But as you said, you don't believe in such fairy tails." Zane finished his inspection of the stag and then lead it to the broken ice to let it drink.

GoblinFae

Ariel scoffed and rolled her eyes in disgust. "I still believe having human qualities is a curse. Why would you want anything to do with those despicable, greedy, selfish, spoiled pigs? They do nothing but take and take, and destroy everything in their paths! They have no regard for anyone but themselves, not even their own families. Humans are a waste."

Jerkily she moved to stand beside the stag, startling it for a moment as she brought a gentle hand down to rest on its neck. Her eyes were those of a very sad and lonely child. She was hurting inside and had allowed her territorial nature to hide it away.

But standing here with this man that was not quite a man and this mysterious and beautiful stag was slowly reducing her back into that painful corner she had buried deep within her heart. Ariel stood on the opposite Zane with the stag in between them so that his tall body hid her face from view.

"He's so soft," her awe-filled voice finally declared.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Zane understood where she was coming from, he had been quite pissed when he saw the lumber yard. Men mindlessly destroying trees. But his heart softened as he watched, they took what the needed and nothing more.

"Mankind is capable of great good and great evil, I dare not justify what they do. But I do know this, in the seventeen years since I left my home forest, I have seen good come from these creatures. I fear you have seen the bad." Then he was silent.

Zane watched as she laid a hand on the stag. "He is soft, unnaturally so for one who roams alone. I believe he has a mate somewhere." The stag stopped drinking and swung it's head over to look at the huntress. "You know my name, do you mind if I ask you yours."

GoblinFae

"You're wrong," she declared quietly in a voice that was not nearly as heated as it had been in the past. "There is no good among mankind. They seek only to destroy. If you have found good, it is only because they have been benefiting from doing so. They are a selfish species. The world would be better without them."

Her eyes widened as her brows shot into her hairline and her hand dropped away from the stag's coat. "Mate?" Inside her head, Ariel saw images of family. For a moment she wondered if he had fawns. A quick shake of her head dispelled those thoughts though. Food was food and she had tried to do what she needed to do to survive. Nothing had come of it and she still would not regret her decision to have tried and possibly succeeded knowing what she did now.

"I am Owlet."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Zane was finished checking on the stag, it was strong and healthy. Zane went to pet the stag some more, "Well Owlet, my check up of the stag is complete, which is all I came to do. So with your pardon I will take my leave. Unless you wish for me to stay."

Zane purposely phased the wording like that, Owlet had made it clear that this forest was hers, so it was up to her if he stayed or left.

GoblinFae

She was undecided as to what she wanted. Ariel understood what he was doing in practically asking her permission to stay. If he had stayed away from her she would have in turn left him alone and there would be no issue now as whether or not to let him remain.

On the other hand, she had been alone for so long now she was beginning to realize just how lonely she was now that they were talking. 'What would I want with such a funny creature anyway? He'd slow me down,' the huntress tried to reason even as her heart screamed that she was only lying to herself.

"You said that he has a mate? Shouldn't you look out for her as well? Or are you so lazy as to only do half of the job required of you?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Zane softened as Owlet mulled over the words. He could practically feel her mind and heart in conflict. In a way he could feel her conflict, it troubled her nature which in turn was practically broadcasted to him. It was in this same way that Zane could tell if a person was sick, as the battling sickness disrupts the bodies alignment to nature. While he couldn't know Owlet's thoughts, he knew that she was at war with herself because of them. Then she brought up the stag.

"I'm doing my job as far as the stag allows me to. Most males, more often in mammals, are overbearingly protective over their mates. If I were to make an attempt to check up on his mate, I dare say he would become hostile, as I would be offering her a service that he could not. But if the stag wishes for me to meet his mate, I would not dare refuse his offer." The stag seemed to nod as Zane said this, as if it were agreeing with him.

GoblinFae

"But how could you even know that? You are like me," she looked him up and down, "sort of. You certainly aren't like him though. He is an animal and does not speak our language. What kind of fool do you take me for? I may be human but I am not like them!"

Distraught, Ariel ran her fingers gently through the stag's winter coat. "I don't understand," she admitted weakly, as a child would in the dark of night when monsters have come to play in the shadows. She had not meant to say it but still it had slipped past her lips before she had been able to recall it. Something about this stranger made her feel different. Ariel feared the differences, loathed them even and yet she was still drawn to stay.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

"Owlet" Zane walked around to the side of the stag she was on, "Animals have their own language, one that you nor anyone else could understand. I, being part animal, recognize and understand this language. I can quite literally talk to animals, or more directly the nature of the animal. That night when you were hunting the stag and I shouted, I would bet you didn't even hear me. But your body did" Zane summoned power into his voice, "and your body reacted to it." Any normal person would not, at first, understand what Zane said, but if they dug deep into themselves, they would understand.

Zane laid his hand onto the stag, running his hand along it's soft fur. "And animals communicate with me, but using body language instead of the vocalized language." It wasn't often that Zane reviled the language of the animals. But it wasn't like Owlet could use it, the language didn't come naturally to humans anymore.

GoblinFae

The huntress snorted and rolled her eyes. 'How stupid do you think me? Not understand their language? Anyone keen enough to watch can figure out what they are doing and want. Men, all the same!' She had tuned out and missed what Zane was saying.

For a moment she had to pause and press the heel of her hand to her head. A twinge of pain had built behind her left eye. "My body did not obey!" Ariel suddenly shouted in response, surprising even herself. Eyes wide, she stared up at the creature before her in distrust.

"What did you just do?" she accused lowly, her hands itching to reach for her dagger.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

"This is the language of the animals. The spoken form at least. It is long lost to humans, that pain behind your eye, was your mind remembering the language. All creatures, even humans, understand this language, but mankind no longer recognizes it when it is spoken." Zane Didn't know how he knew the language, maybe it was because he had grown up around animals, maybe it was because he was a nature spirit, he didn't know. "If I were to talk to you more often in the language you would start to recognize is as it is said, maybe even be able to understand the animals."

GoblinFae

Ariel was quiet for a long while, barely daring to breathe as a sleeping part of her mind awakened on a new level. What her ears did not comprehend, that long forgotten wild instinct did. The sensations of fear and awe over this new understanding washed over her in powerful waves of emotions that soon settled into numb silence, leaving her mind free to at last think once more unaided by the presence that was clawing for her attention.

This new consciousness demanded that she take heed of it but, dulled by millennium of disuse and human intelligence made it easy for the huntress to overcome it for now. In these moments of silence, Ariel was beginning to form decisions to things she had long since abandoned. 'Sometimes the way forward is the way back,' she kept reminding herself.

Impulsively she reached for the stranger's arm. "Come, I want to show you something."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Zane watched Owlet as seconds turned to minutes. He had a basic understanding of what was going on. He knew that now she was aware of that long silent part of her mind she would have to find balance with it, or it would control her. After several moments she seemed herself again.

Zane looked at Owlet as she took his arm. "I am yours to lead." He turned to the stag, "stay here."