Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Under The Stars We Walk Alone

Started by Anadwen, February 27, 2014, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

A loud squawk of the big black hawk echoed through the dense forest, followed by beating of wings, and Naryn gracefully landed on Amlan's forearm, clutching the glove with his sharp talons. Wind ruffled his feathers, softly picking up the ranger's hair, too, as he stood atop a rocky cliff, towering above the forests. It was slowly getting dark, but the dark clouds shielded the view at the sun, and covered the woods with shadows. Deep and dark, tumbled by the strong wind, they were chased through the sky, masses upon masses of storm clouds.

Naryn twisted his head to the side, and Amlan raised a brow at the hawk. The bird spread his wings again, and took off from his hand. The elf took his long bow off his back, and preparing a single dark-feathered arrow on its bowstring, he sled down the hill, rocks rolling down its side behind his heels. He looked up, and followed the hawk through the forest, swift, but silent on his feet.

Amlan was a hunter. He has been one through his whole life, and he has mastered the art of hunting into perfection - no prey could escape the arrows and blades. They were swift and deadly, just like the hands that wielded them. It could appear that Amlan has gone cold and bewildered through the years of solitude that lined his path, but the truth was that he never desired company. The company he wished for could not be granted to him, and he didn't want any other. And therefore, he hunted.

The trees were flashing around him, their long, ancient trunks, leafless lower branches, all forming the landscape and terrain in which nobody could best the Huntsman. Whilst running, his body begun to fade in the shadows of the trees, until he was only a dark smudge, moving through the deep dark spaces through the forests. No eye could really catch his true form, and that was only good - all was safer as a shadow.

Suddenly, he ran onto a clearing. In a matter of a moment, he became visible again, the dim light breaking his camouflage, and he stopped on the edge of the forest, stepping back a little. His bright eyes opened wide, staring at the unusual sight before him.

Very few wanderers ever came through these woods.

Brisinger987

It had all gone so wrong, it had all crumbled beneath him, and now he had lost everything. He paced backwards and forward frantically, and he flickered between his terror form and his normal form, frustrated, and angry beyond belief that he had been manipulated by the woman he loved into killing his own father.

His form flickered, from that of a black winged human, to the nightmarish terror form, it's huge, heavy footsteps thunderous and plumes of smoke pouring out of every orifice.

"RAGH!" He kicked the air, enraged that he had failed in achieving vengeance. He was angry, scared, and above all, lost. He had not purpose but to hunt her and kill her.

Anadwen

There was something big in the distance. Something really big, flickering among the trees. It was only natural that it piqued his curiosity, and he slipped along the edge of the clearing back into the deep woods. The shadow afar seemed to be drawing closer, and the air was hot, as if from a large flame.

"Is anyone nearby?" he cried out, swiftly walking towards the searing heat. A loud sound, close only to the clashing steps of a huge creature, and he couldn't imagine how it could possibly be something else.

"Hello? Is someone here?" He repeated, this time louder.

Brisinger987

Alanael's head shot round towards the approaching sounds,  and for a moment, as the man entered out into the clearing, the terrifying monstrosity that was Alanael stared intently, eye's glowing like torches.

Then he saw it was naught but an elf, and he settled.

"Greetings Elfengian! I take it you escaped the destruction of our realm into this twisted place?" Alanael clearly thought that Amlan was something he wasn't, and had incorrectly assumed.

"Do you know where we are? Are the other intelligent beings around?"

Anadwen

Amlan frowned at the stranger's words. "What are you talking about? I don't know about any realm. But we are in Niahi woods, and we are alone." he replied calmly, taking the black mask off his face, and revealing his thin lips and straight nose, as pale as his garment was dark.

"Who are you, and how did you get here? You don't look like a traveler." he spoke. Naryn's squawk echoed through the air, and the black hawk bolted towards his outstretched arm. His talons clenched the ranger's wrist, and he settled on the glove, giving Alanael a curious look of his bright yellow eyes.

Brisinger987

"Did you suffer a recent, severe blow to the head? Or is that beast affecting your memory Elfengian?" Alanael became wary, curious of why this man knew nothing of the realm he thought they had both come from.

"Nighahewoods? If we are alone, how did you find that out? I see no other life, other than you and this beast." His mispronunciation and his clearly unfamiliar attitude and clothing was enough to indicate that he was clearly lost and confused.

Anadwen

"I think I should better ask you if you didn't lose your memory, stranger. You are talking nonsense. My name is Amlan, this is Naryn, and we are in the northeastern part of Niahi woods, in the east of Le'raana. I am a traveler and ranger, and it is only natural for me to know the names of the lands I wander into. Did you get lost?" Amlan questioned him. It was apparent that he wasn't from anywhere near... He seemed to mistake him with someone else, even.

He stepped a little closer to Alanael, taking off his black hood. A few wisps of black hair softly sled onto his back like a curtain of silk.

Brisinger987

"You are an Elfengian are you not? A person of the realm of Natura? That is correct no?" Alanael tilted his head, truly confused now. This man acted like he was from this realm. Was this a trick by Nix? Or simply an innocent man who had stumbled across Alanael, a traveller.

Anadwen

Amlan shook his head. "No, I'm not. I've never seen you before. I'm Amlan, or the Huntsman, or Strider, depending on who you ask." he explained silently.

"You must be lost. What is your name, where are you from, and how did you get here?" he kept asking him, though his voice was calm and collected. If this man truly was lost, then he needed help, and shouting would be of no use.

Brisinger987

"I am Alanael Uilanyan, demon prince of Aeterna. I got here following Nix, the destroyer of my realm. I guess I'm staying until I find her." Alanael summoned the armour of Daenos to show off the glamour of his realm.

"I do apologise. I thought you were a woodland elf from the realm of Natura, the endless forest."

Anadwen

"I have never heard of either of those realms, you, or whatever is what you call Nix... Welcome to Earth. I take it as you haven't been here before, judging by your confusion." Amlan put one hand on the left side of his chest, roughly where his heart was, and softly bowed his head in a greeting.

"Do not worry, making mistakes is natural." he assured him calmly, but his gaze sled off his face somewhere into the indistinct distance. "I suppose you aren't familiar with these woods."

Brisinger987

"All this green stuff. Is it not stone or metal?" Alanael asked curiously. He had never actually seen real grass, and didn't even know it was called grass. He didn't quite grasp the concept that the trees in Natura were stone because it was a realm of Dark Elves.

"In Natura, there are forests, but they are grey. These trees are brown."

Anadwen

"No, it's not stone..." Amlan shook his head, and bending over, he cut a few stalks of it off. "It's grass. A plant. So are the trees, that's why they're green. But what you see brown is the bark on their trunks."

He reached up for one of the low branches of the trees, and broke a few leaves off. "You see? All plants are green. There aren't any grey trees... Only dead trees are grey."

Brisinger987

"I thought trees were grey and timeless? And what are plants?" Alanael was completely out of place from the golden suburbia of Aeterna, the completely golden realm that he had just lost.

"The trees in Natura aren't dead. I don't think."

Anadwen

"Grey and timeless is stone, and metal. Plants are what you see around - trees, grass, flowers. They are green, grow, and die - some with age, some with the oncoming winter." Amlan explained him further. "There are many kinds of them... You'll see a lot even in this forest."

He stuck the few leaves, which turned out to be ivy, behind his ear, and smiled. "The place you come from must be very different from this, am I right?"

Brisinger987

"Interesting..." Alanael was curious. This elf seemed to respect life, which was a new concept. The elves of Natura had no care for life, and it's sanctity, although they refrained from mass slaughter where possible.

"The world I come from was coated in gold. Every surface was gold."

Anadwen

"Gold is scarce and prized here." Amlan explained him. "You will only find it in jewels and coins... And some other places, but those are few. You won't see much gold." He reached out after the trunk of the tree beside him, and stroke its bark.

"But you'll find a lot of plants. Trees, grass, they are almost everywhere." he shrugged.

Brisinger987

"They seem immobile... Do they give off toxins? Or are they harmless?" Alanael queried, wondering if it could be weaponised or would be a danger to him. If it could be weaponised, he would use it against Nix perhaps.

"There are a few similarities with this world then."

Anadwen

"They can't move, and they are completely harmless - unless you make a bow from their wood." Amlan reached for his long bow, softly handling the arched dark wood and bowstring, made of Thelian's black hair. "Like this. You can fire deadly arrows from it, and hunt beasts, or slay your enemies, but you have to carve it first, and making good bows is difficult."

He reached after his quiver, and pulled out a single black-feathered arrow. "See? You aim it like this," he prepared the arrow to be fired, but removed it and returned to the quiver right after. "And then you let it go, and it flies."

Brisinger987

"Good sir, I do know what a bow is. But we make bows out of metal and gold in my realm. Or we used to anyway." Somehow, the realisation only just sunk in that his realm was gone. It was in the past now, never to return.

"I need somewhere to stay... Do you know of an inn or tavern nearby?"